It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guy Open Carries and Handles it like a G [VIDEO]

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

He would be a "hero" if he were walking down the street, confronted by the cops, and knew his rights. He did not do that, however. He approached cops who were doing their job, with a gun on his hip, to get in their faces. He was completely irresponsible.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

I'm all for your rights and all, but you lose those rights once you start intervening with officers.

If you think that you somehow magically lose your rights when dealing with authorities,

well,

then you HAVE no rights.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The guy knew his rights and the cops could not do a thing and they knew it. Probably not the best idea to walk up on a cop while he's making a traffic stop open carrying a pistol though.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I agree with our rights to open carry...what the guy in the video did was prove that open carry can be respected when respect is given on BOTH sides, but I still am uneasy about a couple things.

This guy did his "thing" in a very disturbing manner. He is lucky he wasn't shot...LEO or not...you do not know that officer anymore than he knows you. What kind of day he was having, if he was a wimp and hides it behind his big bad "I am a cop" attitude. This dude could have made it known he was there without walking up on the cop from behind by making a noise closing his car door...or having his radio turned up louder...whatever...the cop would have turned around seen him, his camera and gun and the point would have been made without approaching.

The cop on the other hand could have let it all drop by just driving off and letting it go....but of course, now 'cause the guy was walking up behind him...he felt copligated to follow this guy down the road and try and make an arrest for his ego to be at rest.

The request for ID, is what y'all have said, a request. A LEO can arrest you at the drop of a spent shell for "refusal to comply to an order of a police officer"...they will tell you "cut the attitude" when you ask the questions this guy did...cuff you, take you in, and hold you just for sh**'s and giggles if they want to. Turn your back and walk away, can and will get you a date with the sidewalk.

It is a right to refuse to give ID and ask them what law you are breaking...my thoughts on that is to have cards printed...much like with the Miranda rights cards and when asked to present ID...give the cop the card for educational purposes...then you can attempt to leave...anything happens after that...keep your mouths shut and get a lawyer at first chance...you may be able to use such treatment in a law suit against your rights.

Not a LEO lover...don't trust them any further than I can throw 'em....but open carry is a great idea...we may get the point across that we are no longer "children" that the government and legal system needs to take care of...personally, I prefer to be "invisible" if I were carrying...there is no need to allow ego enter into the equation on the side of joe citizen or the cops.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by Screwed

He would be a "hero" if he were walking down the street, confronted by the cops, and knew his rights. He did not do that, however. He approached cops who were doing their job, with a gun on his hip, to get in their faces. He was completely irresponsible.

Cops walk around 24/7 with weapons getting into peoples business... and they do not even have to act polite as this guy did..

Please.. grow up.. no one forced these people to be cops, we have what is called "free will". If someone cannot handle open carry laws or any other laws for that matter they probably should not be a cop.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
If that guy was not videoing the ordeal, he would have been faceplanted pronto. Yet, he was lucky that it still didn't happen.

Since there are independent outfits that go around instructing PDs how to do procedures such as SWAT attacks, takedowns, somebody needs to start a similar outfit that goes around instructing departments in various states what the citizen's rights are according to the law.

The cops want to go home every night safe and sound to their families as is always the closing on a COPS episode, the average citizen wants to also go home in decent shape also without being faceplanted, cuffed for "the officer's protection," or even hassled by some joker of an officer that doesn't know the law, and therefore who is potentially going to incite a problem where none really existed.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricWizard

I never said this guy was wrong to carry a gun, though I am against guns. Cops do walk around with guns; it's their job. Getting shot by a guy interrupting a traffic stop is not their job. And that is exactly what could have happened. Not every cop is bad. These ones were doing their jobs. They could have done it better, that is quite true, especially if they were not interrupted by a guy wanting youtube fame.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
he did defend his rights well, but he also caused the situation just because he could. was he really worried that his girlfriend was going to be mistreated during a traffic stop, or did he want to show off?

i'm all for open carry and defending your rights, but the guy was looking for trouble.
edit on 13-7-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ateuprto
I'm all for the 2nd amendment and an individual's autonomy, but he KNOWINGLY approached a single officer on a traffic stop and stood out of that officer's view with a sidearm on his hip. Legal or not, this guy is an idiot.

This man's actions haven't helped anyone. He's just another self-righteous idiot doing more harm than good.
edit on 12-7-2011 by ateuprto because: (no reason given)

Agreed. If he had been walking around in a public place minding his own business and a cop pulled him to the side and started into him about showing his ID and explaining the gun, it would have been a different story. I would have been in full support of the guy. To walk up on a traffic stop with a gun and a video camera is not the way to go. That was stupid. He was polite about it, but that doesn't mean it was a good idea. If I was a cop I would be nervous too. Here I am giving a ticket, trying to focus on the person I pulled over and now I have to worry about the guy with a gun and camera behind me as well? Nope... not a good thing. Traffic stops can be nerve-racking, and cops never know who's going to pull a gun on them when they walk up to a car. To have additional distractions is even worse.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I think that ATS has had it's say .... The actions of the officer's are legitimate. Case closed!

Respect,

-AS-

ETA; Really??? Other members are going to continue to fight the outcome even though the outcome is already decided????
edit on 13-7-2011 by AeonStorm because: eta because some just don't get the point.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I fully agree with our right to carry arms. But why in the hell would you walk up on a cop in the middle of dealing with a traffic violation just to prove a point? I think this was handled well by both parties, but let's be serious, getting others to stand behind our right to carry is not going to happen with idiots like this doing down right stupid acts like this!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Look.. there is knowing your rights, taking advantage of your rights, and then going out of your way to shove your rights in the face of authority. He was doing the third thing. There is no need for this. HE HAS HIS RIGHTS. He can carry his weapon. He is doing so. There is no reason to approach this traffic stop.

It's pretty clear who is "ok" with this sort of behavior. The cop haters. Those who misguidedly feel we could actually "police ourselves," and that police themselves are not needed.

Stands up for your rights. There is no need to flourish rights you already have, in a "ha ha I can do this and you can't stop me" sort of way. It's juvenile and pointless.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Nice. I'd try this in L.A., but I'm black. so, I'd be dead inside 5 mins of being spotted by an officer

At least I'd make the news..

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Nice video.

Perfect example of how cops should be handled.

"Do you have ID?????" Sure, but you have no right to see it.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
he did defend his rights well, but he also caused the situation just because he could. was he really worried that his girlfriend was going to be mistreated during a traffic stop, or did he want to show off?

i'm all for open carry and defending your rights, but the guy was looking for trouble.
edit on 13-7-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

He's concerned for his girlfriend just as the other officer was for the 1st officer; as the guy said.

He was excercising his rights... And that's something cops don't like.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I personally think the cops should've been smarter and just told him to move along.

Even though legal, it's DUMB to excercize your second ammendant rights at a traffic stop which has potentional to escalate like it does often with drunks and idiots.

He completely disrespected the officers by being a complete smart ass...he could've atleast showed his ID to them out of COURTESY so they Knew he was not out to do harm.

To sum it up, I think both of them had the right idea but both of them acted wrong.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

To walk up on a traffic stop with a gun and a video camera is not the way to go. That was stupid. He was polite about it, but that doesn't mean it was a good idea. If I was a cop I would be nervous too. Here I am giving a ticket, trying to focus on the person I pulled over and now I have to worry about the guy with a gun and camera behind me as well? Nope... not a good thing. Traffic stops can be nerve-racking, and cops never know who's going to pull a gun on them when they walk up to a car.

Both parties were pretty stupid, but one had no excuse.

The cop was by all appearances uninformed, and negligent of his own safety.

Yes, if I was a cop, I would properly identify the guy as a potential threat. If I was a competent officer, I would then act accordingly. This cop did not. It was only after the fact, an ego thing is what it looked like to me.

Cops need to take this situation up with their lawmakers. If the law creates odd situations like this, then change the law.

The cop should have a beef with his lawmakers, not law-abiding idiots with a gun and a camera.

And the cop clearly needs to be retrained, or else, relieved of duty. I wouldn't want this numbskull as my partner.

JR

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Is it really necessary to carry a gun around where he is ?

Sorry, i have never visited America (Don't intend to) but i just cant imagine it being so bad that people need guns with them just walking around the street.
I understand it is only in some states that you are aloud to carry a firearm but jeeeeeeze, how bad is it ?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamesprototype
Is it really necessary to carry a gun around where he is ?

Sorry, i have never visited America (Don't intend to) but i just cant imagine it being so bad that people need guns with them just walking around the street.
I understand it is only in some states that you are aloud to carry a firearm but jeeeeeeze, how bad is it ?

It's only necessary if you value your rights, and in some cases, your life.

The sad fact is, if the guy didn't have a gun, the story would have been very different.

Some might imagine it was the trusty video that saved his butt, not true.

As long as a cop doesn't have to worry about anything, anything goes. SO, if the guy did not have a gun, and has his video, the cops probably could have just rushed him, smashed his camera, or confiscated it, etc., and beaten the law-abiding citizen to a pulp.

If he was black, he might end up very dead. Unless the person was wealthy, the judge would rubber-stamp whatever the cops said.

SO, what we witnessed was the positive power of firearms, over tyranny. That gun on his side was a constructive threat, and paired with the camera, it represented a genuine risk that police actions could be exposed for whatever actually happened.

Logically, the cops understood quite well the risks, even with two of them. Passing vehicles, also problematic.

Now in Australia, you no longer have to worry about such things. You have no rights, when it comes down to it, and are seemingly unaware, or OK with it.

Amerika? Probably not a good place to visit, unless you're wealthy.

JR

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

Good. Know the law, use it, and change it to our advantage.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join