It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guy Open Carries and Handles it like a G [VIDEO]

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I don't post things like this very often, but i have to say this:

That video was friggin AWESOME!!! It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Thanks for sharing

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ateuprto

He is doing a job and scared for his life... It's not the same for most other people, if you f up on the job you get written up or maybe fired, the tension is high, if you make a mistake you die. It's simple. If you or I saw someone video taping me doing our every day job, you would get defensive unless you were a pro sports athlete. Outside of that you might get in someone's face. I thought the first officer kept his concern in check, he thought it through and didn't act stupid. He is welcome to patrol my block any time.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
hmmmm.... I'm completely all for the right to bear arms, the right to open carry, and if given the chance, will vote for Ron Paul in 2012. With that said, I feel like this guy is stupid and is yet another that gives the cause a bad name. Why would you walk up to a cop while holding a gun? From the impression I got, the gun was in his hand? That's kind of nuts. I indeed don't envision a completely free society as one where everyone's walking around literally HOLDING guns in their hands. Yes everybody should be free to own one, carry one, but why would you just go walking up to a cop like that? Kind of stupid and I don't really blame the cops for wanting to know what the hell was up

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

star and flagging this because I agree, we are adults we are going to make decision and stand by it...like it or not, be ready to enforce your convictions

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

I like the post, like the video, thank you. You kill your own agenda by being such a biggot to folks who see both sides of the coin. How about intelegent debate.....I'm not so sure insulting soldiers as blind sheeple is really an intelligent point. Maybe folks of conviction from a different viewpoint.......but not to be disgraced.

I like the idea a lot. Work out the kinks.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
What about the cops rights?

Does a cop have the right to lie and intimmedate a citizen who has not been charged with anything?

Does a cop have a right to demand somethig of a citizen he is not legally entitled to.

Does a cop have a right to unreasonably detain a citizen who is not suspected of a crime?

This whole situation revolved around these cops wanting to show the citizen who was da boss...nothing else.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Sigh. The gun was not in his hand, it was at his hip and plainly visible to the cop. The guy was holding a video camera, and obviously not anywhere near his weapon. The cop felt intimidated because he was being videotaped, not because some had a gun in a holster at his side. The guy never touched his weapon, and it was in plain sight the whole time, and the cop knew he was no threat whatsoever.

They should train police to be prepared for such antics....

Guy with cam in hand, be polite. Guy with gun in hand, shoot to kill.

Common sense dictates that if you are a cop at a traffic stop, and a guy walks up with a cam, and a gun holstered at his hip, the guy is shooting video, and not gunning you down. Duh.

Whatever happened to the right to bear arms? It got buried under layers and layers of bureaucracy.

THAT is sad.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Let me tell you all that this guy is no hero or patriot; he is a complete idiot. I have a concealed weapon permit valid for several states and having one does not make you Rambo or Captain America. Being a gun owner and carrying one on your person or having one in close proximity is a serious responsibility. Even in a worse case scenario where your life is on the line, if you can run then you better do it. Brandishing or open carry of a firearm not only makes 99% of the public insecure and threatened, it can get you shot and killed. I pray I never have to use my weapon. If I am absolutely backed into a corner however, I will defend my life using deadly force if it is warranted.

I support the right to bear arms, but only in an instance where the force being dealt to you warrants a deadly response. Open carry is for wimps and losers. You should only resort to firearms in an absolute worst case scenario and it is definitely not cool to scare Grandma and little Johnny - the innocent bystanders.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
People like this are the reason WHY are rights are being squandered. You're given the right to bear arms for protection. If any of you on this discussion board would go job shadow an officer for one day, you would understand why he was nervous and irritated. A person you don't know walks right up to your traffic stop, with a camera and a firearm, what is the first thing going through your mind? Now don't get me wrong, i do agree with his challenge to carry his firearm. It is a right, but the people who go out of their way to make it known in annoying and useless ways are the ones doing more harm than good. Honestly imo, if you want to film the police for some reason, do it from your lawn, don't walk right up to the scene. It's only common sense. I think in the end both parties are at fault. The police officer should have calmly just asked him his name, and if he needed help. If he said no, the officer should have went on his way. My problem with the citizen i think has already been made clear in my post. If you carry concealed or open carry, use common sense and don't flash it at a traffic stop. Even when i get stopped here in indiana, one of the first things i make clear to the officer is that i have my firearm in my truck, with both hands on the wheel. It's better to let them know and prevent an altercation than have them find out otherwise. The police have to deal with very stressful situations during domestic disputes, fights, etc. It should come as no surprise if they are nervous and cautious when they see someone with a gun. Every officer i've met is friendly and i've never came across one who made an unreasonable request. As long as you cooperate with them you'll have no problems. I just think common sense could have played a better outcome here.
edit on 7/13/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I think the guy shooting the video was playing a dangerous game for foolish reasons.

The cops are just trying to do their jobs. Give em the respect they deserve as human beings and take on any situation where you are confronted by a cop as something to be dealt with in a courteous and professional manner.

The kid killed could have easily gotten himself killed.

Why waste your time arguing with the cop. Show him your ID, apologize for interfering in his traffic stop, and get on your way.

Now this kid has a local cop who has a beef with him, and word will get sent out to all the other cops. He isn't doing himself any favors.

I get pulled over, I have one hand on the wheel, and one on my roll down window, and look straight ahead. I do as the cops asks, treat him with courtesy, as long as he is courteous to me, and I get out of a lot of tickets that way.

These cops were acting totally professionally, even though they made made some claims that weren't true.

If the cop is acting like a jerk, still be courteous, but let them know when they are crossing the line. Don't admit to doing anything wrong, and start asking for their legal justification, but remember to remain professional, and try to get the encounter over as quickly as possible. You can be confrontational and still show and get respect. The goal is to diffuse the situation. The cop just might be having a bad day, and a little kindness could completely change their mood. Be smart, don't be a smarta$$.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Would this scenario play out the same way if the guy had a buck knife strapped to his side?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'm floored that the police handled this so well. They should get a raise.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This is just absolutely ridiculous!!!
provoking police officers is not a game!!!
he seeeeems like a nice guy, as far as a nice guy would observe, as the officer could sense (being obviously a good guy too) he shouldn't be making other good guys feel insecure by putting them in situations they are totally unprepared to deal with... he was holding a gun, it's obviously creepy to just walk up to a cop like that, "just making sure she wasn't mistreated" - with a clearly visible handgun... he had one intention and one intention only!! to make the officer feel insecure & show his macho "People Power" which is just pathetic!

Why step down to the attitude level that some officers are all too happy to permanently carry themselves with in order to prove what exactly!?

"im not breaking any laws"

NEITHER WAS THE OFFICER ASKING FOR ID... he was creeped by the fact he just walked drove up with a gun started filming and then talked like he was a police officer to the police officer telling him he wasn't breaking any laws - correct - he was just ruining the officers day with his vendetta... blatantly he was arrested once and felt unfairly treated so continues to perceive every police officer the way He behaved... totally unnecessary and completely immature.

Argh
GET A LIFE YOU SMUG TWAT

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception
Would this scenario play out the same way if the guy had a buck knife strapped to his side?

LOL

or a Samurai sword!!?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
The longer you continue to trust that everything is hunky dory, the more opportunity you allow for corruption.

People behave differently when they think their actions aren't going to bring about consequences. When people are in private, they do some pretty unusual things that they don't often brag about in public. You can argue that police are not 'in private', but their words hold more weight than yours, so they can choose to hold back if they want to, which essentially allows their actions to remain secretive. Just because someone is under oath, it is not a guarantee those oaths will be followed.

In the scenario played out, the officer decided to escalate the situation, as many do, even after the guy complied with the initial request, and there were no issues, so all this guy is doing is reminding these officers that certain rules are in place, and that he's done nothing wrong to justify any further actions take place. Since police nor Internal Affairs can be trusted to handle this type of thing, that obligation is left up to us, the citizens, to carry out. Remember, they are public servants, we pay them with our earnings, and we should be highly encouraged to check in from time to time to ensure their jobs are being done in our best interests, or no one will. Retailers hire secret shoppers for this very reason, it's no different.

So we all wonder what the hell has happened to our freedoms? Here's a start: stop putting so much faith in our government. When you give people power and control, they'll eventually begin to abuse it. Unless we frequently remind them, our public servants, that us citizens are in charge, we'll continue down this same dark path, eventually leading to a point where we're on the other end of the stick. History tends to repeat itself, and since we're 'in the know', right now, we shouldn't be ignoring this fact.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
He shoulda asked that cop if he could see HIS license. Same deal, basically.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I wouldn't fear a guy open carrying. And who the heck thinks felons open carry anyway? I think felons are smarter than that. If you think this video is something, drop what you're doing right this instant and go to documentarywire to see a film called "into the fire". It will make your heart beat a thousand times a minute, infuriate you, and make you wanna do something about the future that lies ahead.

Great video, really good to see, a small step forward for mankind.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Unfortunately, the simple fact of walking up to the vehicle while the officer is conducting a traffic stop that you are not a part of/involved in, could be considered interfering with the traffic stop. I've not looked at the laws for the state of New Mexico, so I am unclear as to whether or not they consider that an offense. Although in most cases I've seen, it does give the officer(s) the legal right to detain you if they feel that you are/may pose a threat to them or the surrounding public. IE = Walking randomly up on a traffic stop whilst open carrying a handgun. Not to mention, whether open carry is legal or not in that state, it makes the officer feel threatened and essentially provokes them to up their guard that much more. I'm not saying I do not understand his reasoning for what he did, merely that I find it foolish and only to be yet another example of why most LEO's are the way that they are with people.

I know several police officer's, and I've heard every one of them say how they have issues trusting the public after working in such a job.
Think about it... People lie to them on a daily basis, and yet they are still expected to take some people at their word.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Question Fate

although pete was in the right, its not a good idea to walk up on a traffic stop out of the blue with a gun. whole situation couldve been handled better on both sides.

I think it's quite obvious that a point was being made here. I also think "Pete" handled the situation perfectly. In fact, I think more people should do exactly as "Pete" did in this video. If this is what it takes to show the police that they are NOT any better than an average citizen, then so be it. The past few years have taken police rights to a whole new level. As you can see in this video, they love to abuse "false premise," under the guise of "safety." This is not police work, this is systematical abuse. It's as simple as that. I'm extremely sorry if you're unable to see through the garbage. Do you wear a badge yourself, perhaps?

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Reply to post by White Locust

Founding fathers were wimps and losers.

Got it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join