It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Not sure how you checked that
Isn't the australian internet fully censored now? guess they haven't completed the task.

You must get your news from Pravda

The Internet filter is something that a small group of nutjobs in government are trying to push through - the people see right through it.

Australians really shouldn't be complaining about other nations when your own government see's the entire population as children (see: video games and violence censorship)

Hmmm......and you don't think the American government doesn't see the American people as children? Thats a problem thats almost worldwide mate.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Yes, they have the freedom to speech. But then there are the laws that prohibit what can and can not be stated. After all if someone was to say outloud in public that Muslims are nothing more than terrorist scum, in the US, most would either think they are just rabblerousing or just ignore them. In other countries, say England, that person would be arrested and face jail time. And lets not even get started on the whole Koran burning issue, that has most of the world up in arms, except in the USA, where we look shurg and go on with our lives. I guess that symbolic speech is not just that important as that which is written or spoken.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

I am well aware that it is meant to be a joke thread, but like I said it's like the big boy at school poking the small kid and saying "It's just a joke, get over it". The small kid eventually snaps

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Personally I do find the United States to be a great country and easily one of the best. That being said I understand your frustrations. Why should you have to feel the repercussions of our actions every time we make a move? It would grow quite tiresome. The US was never meant to be an Empire of any sort but unfortunately sometime around the early 20th century a few academics and business leaders decided there would be more for them to profit from if the US became an empire rather than the neutral giant we had been since the 1860s.

Hopefully some day soon this empire will crash without taking the US down with it and the people will return to the ideas here that actually worked, 'Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations - entangling alliances with none'. Perhaps then the American people will either gain a new respect for others or our international role will be so reduced it would not matter either way.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

If you honestly believe what you just typed then there is nothing more I can say to you simply because of the blinders you have on

link   
ruled by the same elite...

link   
reply to post by Kryties

Well just remember there are a lot of us here that want to remain friends with our English speaking brothers...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by michaelmcclen

Misoir: I'm southern and I have perfect teeth thank you so much. PERFECT. Strong, straight, white healthy teeth.
Stereotype much?

It was just a light joke.

I too am from the South with perfectly straight white teeth.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
reply to post by Kryties

Hopefully some day soon this empire will crash without taking the US down with it and the people will return to the ideas here that actually worked, 'Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations - entangling alliances with none'. Perhaps then the American people will either gain a new respect for others or our international role will be so reduced it would not matter either way.

If that day ever comes, which methinks it might, then I believe you will find the world waiting and extending it's hand to help you. Our anger at America is because of what it has become yet screams so loudly that it is not. If the day ever comes that the empire crumbles and we see the American people attempting to rebuild the RIGHT way - that day will truly mark the new beginning of the human race.
edit on 2/7/2011 by Kryties because: Changed "had" to "has"

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

THIS IS NOT A TROLL THREAD!

ok, I wanted to have a somewhat light and "happy" thread about the pro's of the USA.
First I was going to go with comparisons in places like North Korea, China, etc..

But thats too simple, they are not even remotely on the same level...its like comparing a ferrari to a coal powered motor scooter.

I decided then to go with the country most loved by us generally, the UK...and more specifically, England.
our Independence day celebration is based off of breaking off from England and starting our own nation (Which England gladly accepted with no fuss
)

Anyhow, its hard as hell to figure out what is actually better between the US and England...the nations quality of life generally are matched point for point, which makes it even more interesting on the minor differences. And yep, there are differences...so, what is better then.

In the United Kingdom and the Crown Dependencies, any household watching or recording television transmissions must purchase a television licence, every year. As of 2010, this costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for black and white.[1] The licence is required to receive any television transmission, whether it is received via terrestrial, satellite, cable, or the Internet. A licence is not, and never has been, required simply to possess a TV set, for the purpose of watching pre-recorded content, or use as a monitor for video games or computers. Although income from the licence is primarily used to fund the television, radio and online services of the BBC, a licence is needed to view all broadcast channels, including commercial services. Total levies from the licence fee were £3.45 billion in 2009–10[2] of which £556 million or 16% was provided by the Government through concessions for those over the age of 75.

Now, this is something that I found sucked when I lived over there.
Every television in the house, if plugged in, requires you to pay the government for the opportunity to play the signals shot in your house anyhow. This money is used to pay off their stations, and that makes sense, but the whole philosophy is screwy (We will blast signals into your home...should you have a device that makes sense of it, you must pay)

In America, the average person has 63 televisions in their home (give or take). Putting a rule in like this would have many simply melt down into primal rage.

I am not a gun owner...unless the gun is made of pixels, then I am ultimately not a fan. I prefer swords..however, I do understand the enjoyment of gun ownership (I once owned a BB Gun, I was a mightly slayer of tin cans).
In the UK, you can own a shotgun if your a farmer...otherwise, nope...no collections, no handguns, etc...hell, even the average cop is left with little more than a billy club and a array of sarcastic remarks to stop crime.

This point can be argued either way...sure, murder and other violent crimes are far less than america, however percentagewise, the english have to deal with more burglery and other "minor" crimes.
Tradeoff? debateable..but its a difference that some would consider unacceptable (hold dead hands and whatnot).
And they are going to be in poor shape for the coming zombie apocolypse

Lower rate N/A 10% N/A £0 - £2440 applies only if total income falls in this band

Basic rate 10% 20% 20% £0 - £37,400

Higher rate 32.5% 40% 40% over £37,400

Additional rate 42.5% 50% 50% over £150,000

So, here in America, we are flipped out that millionares may be taxed at 39%, yet the UK simply taxes anyone over 150k (sterling, thats what..about 200k USD?) is 50%.
This fuels the many social programs (NHS, University, etc). So, the bling bling golden pools are a bit less common over there...and we love our golden pools.

(Personally, I have no issue with the tax rate, just wanted to toss this in for perspective)

The average temperature (if you take all year and average it out) is 55 degrees(f) and they average at about 1457.4 hours of sunlight. Thats not a lot...

This is a source of general pride for many, its a symbol of history and heritage..basically its their tourist trap.
In saying that, with the links to nazi's, the power they still hold and use (see shutdown of canadian government by order of the queen), and the forced taxpayer money going to support their existance, the whole structure itself is redundant and absurd.

We have our "royalty"...our famous tourist trap types...and we love them overall..however, their existance is built on the willful money sent to them by people (through movie sales, record sales, etc)...there is no threat of reposession on your crap or potential jail if you fail to give to them.

I am curious what you personally would suggest is better about America than England

Either way, happy Independence day ATS...

And to the english currently grumbling at this thread and ready to throw your tea at the monitor, Know that we jab because we love

Dear Saturn fx

My friend from over the pond, I was so distressed to see that you have only 63 television sets in your home. How do you cope, is your house too small for any more or, is it - you know financial. We will despatch another 10 after we have marched into some poor devils house in one of our wars and grabbed his. We will get you the best we can as its distressing for us to think of you doing without. We are spoilt because we only pay for 1 licence and all the tv's owned under that name are covered by the one licence - we learn from your good selves.

Regarding guns, yes our farmers love them. due to their love affair with the burger and fast food though, a gun has proved so useful in catching both escaping livestock as well a the odd fox. Those burgers get better and better but the mortality of our farmers due to their weight and heart attacks is causing a little problem.

Taxation, Oh Saturn, I humbly request you let this one by you see, it is such an honour for us to be selected for the honour of probably being one of the most taxed people in the world. You must realise that our gracious Queen and her ever expanding family so deserve the wonderful lifestyle we pay for. Our wonderful politicians, we worry we don't pay them enough or we give them far too little in expenses, they do so much for each and every one of us. We are especially proud of the new rustic look our infrastructure is taking on. We know just mentioning these few things, we are the envy of the world.

Ah, The Monarchy. I am sure you will join with me in saying that every country has its sewers and drains. You Americans managed, so you though, to remove them without realising that they are the roadies of priviledge belonging to those superstars the Rothschilds. Now every country has these superstars and if they don't, both America and England will ensure that one will be incoming fairly soon, won't we. So to all of America's and England's buddies abroad, don 't fret and remember you didn't want any assets, especially not oil or mineral wealth, they are a nuisance for you and the Rothschilds or their banking fraternity will take them away from you and look after them.

You are such a close friend you understand our love of the mist. It has been an absolute gift. Its concealed so much over the years that its still possible for our dignatories to hold their heads up in public.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

If that day ever comes, which methinks it might, then I believe you will find the world waiting and extending it's hand to help you.

Aww. That's so nice. Thank you.

Our anger at America is because of what it had become yet screams so loudly that it is not.

Or maybe we have become that which we wish we were not.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Your news media is terrible really bad thankfully in England we have the remnants of an independent media.We continue to produce some culture above our size in the world ,but the USA is number one whether it's film ,music or television.Your food sucks worse than ours but southern fried chicken is pretty good.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

I love how many feel the need to point out the US's faults in this thread. Meanwhile ignoring the reasons for the split between the two in the first place. The US may be considered as attempting to be the world's police. Yet, during the American revolution we were fighting a real Global Empire. One which was said to never have the sun set on.

America "Better" than England?
No, not better in my opinion.

Just different.

The difference that millions have flocked to our shores for even still to this day.

Happy 4th

Semper fi.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Really? How is fact to be false? Unless I am mistaken the law is quite clear cut in its assessment and enforcement: en.wikipedia.org...

The Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006:amended the Public Order Act 1986 by adding Part 3A. That Part says, "A person who uses threatening words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, is guilty of an offence if he intends thereby to stir up religious hatred." The Part protects freedom of expression by stating in Section 29J:
Nothing in this Part shall be read or given effect in a way which prohibits or restricts discussion, criticism or expressions of antipathy, dislike, ridicule, insult or abuse of particular religions or the beliefs or practices of their adherents, or of any other belief system or the beliefs or practices of its adherents, or proselytising or urging adherents of a different religion or belief system to cease practising their religion or belief system.

The court cases are well documented and outlined, along with the actual laws that are pointed out. There is no just mere belief based on speculation, rather belief based on fact. Check the laws, they are very clear cut.
news.bbc.co.uk...
Then there is that little story where they are pushing said enforcement of censorship of the prohibition of the freedom of speech.
Course those that are protected by said laws tend to abuse it, as demonstrated in this article.
www.jihadwatch.org...

What ever is one to think about the state of the freedom of Speech in the UK? Just that it is only on certain topics and limited to who can and can not say what they desire. Kind of sounds like a form of persecution.
The WBC won a recent case in the US Supreme Court case, along with several others, such as this case:
en.wikipedia.org...

There is a large difference between the very freedom of speech under both countries, one that borderlines that of censorship and the other does not.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lynda101

Priceless!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Anyhoo, I'm having a terrible week so I probably shouldn't be posting at all on ATS lol - me in bad mood + ATS topics = attack everyone who blinks the wrong way
. I saw the thread title, thought "Here we go again", attacked the points and now I feel a bit bad for having done so - I certainly don't mean to spoil a celebration. Apologies and Happy (American
) Independence Day

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

- but I'm sick and tired of hearing "America is the greatest" spurt out of their mouths like bloody parrots 365 days a year. It's not jealousy - if you were us you would understand. It's like the bigger kids at school constantly punching the small kids shoulders and laughing at how they are a better football player than the small kid. Eventually the smaller kid gets tired of it and either studies hard and ends up being their boss, or buys a gun and starts firing......

Whenever I hear my locals suggest we are the best, or better, etc...I vomit a little bit in my mouth.

I demand specifics when people suggest that. Best what? Exactly which area are we the head of worldwide without question?
Thats typically the stumbling block...

As far as one nation being better than another nation in a area specifically, then you can start going tit for tat..not unlike talking about football teams really...but overall arching of "best" in the world in regards to ___...that drives me nuts.

Japan pwn's the world in regards to technological development, French art, australian surfing, russian mail order brides, mexican labor, etc etc...each nation has some things it does really well at, especially when comparing it to a specific country verses just the world.
That argument I enjoy getting into..sort of the endless "who built the computer, Americans or the British"...you find it was back and forth and both sides can create a strong argument...however, the overall theme you find is that they ultimately worked together, and if one side didn't exist, the computer wouldn't have been made overall (take that japan!)...or at least seriously stagnated the building.

If one country against another focuses on a discussion about a item in regards to the contributions, thats a fair fight...who produces better music, America or Britain...(Brits...the Yanks simply produce more..but the Brits send forward legends).

In regards to America being the root of all the worlds problems...naa. thats just nonsense propaganda. Corporatism is not a American invention, its a worldwide plague and ultimately its corporatism that is destroying this (and many other) countrys.

Your guy, Rupert Murdoch, is a big player in American corporatists agenda advancing.. (take him back already!)..I think worldwide people can agree the true enemy has no flag beyond gold into a focused few hands...the anti-this or that sentiment is simply a division tactic to keep the eyes lowered to the pawns.
edit on 2-7-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Go up to any American cop, hell just stand on a soapbox in the middle of a city, and tell him you are going to kill the President. See how quickly your 'freedom of speech' rights erode in front of your very eyes.....

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Might pop back when I have time later to explain why Scotland is the best country in the world. TV you say? Invented by a Scot. That's just for starters.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Yeah, unfortunately Rupert Murdoch is an Aussie - don't worry we are just as embarrassed and plagued by him as you guys are

I agree with what you said mate, I apologise again for having come at you in attack-mode, I get so frustrated at seeing what COULD be and yet watching it all go down the gurgler time and time again - whether it be Americans, British or the bloody Dutch

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join