Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I would rather live in England than the US, the UK might not have most of the variation of the US but it gives us the oppurtunity to go on holiday around the world. I havent ever been to the US before so all I can judge my opinions on is how it is portrayed in the media, news and movies. Not ideal but you get a general idea of the differences lol, anyway though I like the UK I would much rather be living somewhere warm in a secluded part of the world even if it means growing my own food and no internet.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

lol.
There is no denying the cool factor. We leave everybody else in the dust. This may not be denied or defied, or underestimated. It would be a feeble contest indeed, assuming of course, we were not too cool to engage in such a contest, which I suspect, we are.

But, about the inventions....sometimes I think we invented everything, but alas, we did not. I understand an Englishman invented the tin canister? Surely, you've not minimized that. Where would you keep your dog biscuits? Or er, monkey treats? And. You can leave them out in a lightening storm, if you so choose, and they don't mind. They are fearless, those canisters. Like the English.

*LIW ignores that she keeps her dog biscuits in a plastic container that sings "your kiss is on my list" when opened*

....oh and thanks for the compliment, although I'm not sure we are in a domain where graciousness is considered an asset. Gangbusters seem to be in vogue.

*Waves flag* Thank God for our Independence Spira. May we always have it.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Quite right!
However, i have read several of these types of thread in the past, & for the most part it has been light & humorous, now & then a thread gets derailed by some nut & the rest will join together in protest, until the mods remove the offending comment/thread. IMO they have every right to do so, otherwise it would get like YooToob where everyone is exposed to bad language, threats & vulgar behaviour

But i learn a lot from these threads, i like to know what Americans think of the English & the rest of the world.
Sometimes i wish i could read the offending comment to understand what all the fuss was about

I read on......

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by OwenGP185
I would rather live in England than the US, the UK might not have most of the variation of the US but it gives us the oppurtunity to go on holiday around the world.

As if we 'Mericans don't travel abroad.

I havent ever been to the US before so all I can judge my opinions on is how it is portrayed in the media, news and movies. Not ideal but you get a general idea of the differences

I should let that last bit just kind a sit there but....

All us 'Mericans love fast food and beer when watching NASCAR and do fist pumps and yell Hell Yeah uncontrollably 24/7 while having running gun battles and car chases with each other through the streets of New York simultaneously avoiding Alien {Illegal or not} invasions trying to suck our brains out or replacing us with Pod people.

Happy 4th

Yeah Haw!
Does a fist pump then goes bombs something...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I'm not sure how what I wrote came across that way but ok.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DeepThoughtCriminal

Pssh, don't look at me, mate. My parents almost moved to Oz before I was born. I came close to being one of you.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

All us 'Mericans love fast food and beer when watching NASCAR and do fist pumps and yell Hell Yeah uncontrollably 24/7 while having running gun battles and car chases with each other through the streets of New York simultaneously avoiding Alien {Illegal or not} invasions trying to suck our brains out or replacing us with Pod people.
Happy 4thYeah Haw!
Does a fist pump then goes bombs something...

Sounds great, can i come over for a few weeks?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DeepThoughtCriminal

I believe your looking at a certain portion of the people. True, they are so "Patriotic" that they are blind to the fact they are supporting a corrupt nation.

This is the way of life for some people, supporting their homeland and babbling on how great their homeland is. May sound simple and make look safe, but one word could tick them off like nothing, as if they were programmed to do something like that, sad

I hope I answer part of your question.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Yawn. This is truly the best you could come up with? "Better"? Something being "better" than something "else" is simply a question of perspective. You should have gone with "different"

TV license - Blah blah. I'd rather pay for a license than watch the same drivel advertising every 5 minutes because the social media believe my attention span is "that" long

Guns - Don't even go there

Weather - I'd rather live in peace than have to turn on AC to survive the heat. Similarly for cars. AC, AC, AC.

Taxes - I am sure on par for par i'm richer than someone doing the same job in the US. In fact I KNOW I am. Taxes, schmaxes.

The monarchy - Well i'm French but live in the UK because I can't stand the French. So.. personally speaking i'd behead the lot of them and go for a repuplic, but there you go. Someone has to love them and millions do. End of.

So .. I am sure some of my fellow Englishmen (been here so long I consider myself to also be English, when it suits me) have pointed out:

Education - The US has one of the worst records for education
Health - You're dying, have no insurance.. oh dear.. The NHS might not be great, but it's FREE healthcare, let me repeat that, FREE.
Carbon Footprint - All I have to say is

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

Originally posted by karen61057

Oh mighty slayer of tin cans, with every post you garner more awe from me. LOL.

Heres one for you:
Language, I know theoretically we speak the same language but really do we?
US: Toilet UK: Loo
US: cigarette UK: fag
US: Call me. UK: ring me up.
US: come over to my place. UK: Knock me up. ( US has whole other meaning for that one dear brits)
US: Take a vacation UK : Go on holiday.

Mmn, i rarely hear people say loo except for me, people say toilet(well down my way they do), i also think people would use ciggie as slang for cigarette, YOur right about the other though, and i think the american word for holiday to describe christmas time is more correct, ;holiday= holi day.
and Vacation= vacating.

And people here usually say bathroom when they mean toilet.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by torqpoc

Yawn. This is truly the best you could come up with? "Better"? Something being "better" than something "else" is simply a question of perspective. You should have gone with "different"

Agreed, Torqpoc. It would have been a more productive thread than the pissing contest it was bound to turn into (and did) if it was titled differently. The op 'usually' posts quality threads and posts, no idea what happened in this case.

Also, I think you're the finest French person I've ever met and you're welcome to claim you are English (when it suits as you say
) at anytime!!!! Proud to have you, mate.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

Dear Hawkwind,

*Bows*

Thank you kindly!

Regards,
T

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Definitely one the stupidest threads I have ever laid eyes on.

Shame on you, for needing to justify who is 'better'. Way to go!

We now know just how useless the United States Education System is.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kluute

Shame on you, for needing to justify who is 'better'.

We now know just how useless the United States Education System is.

In skool, we learnded what the term "Irony" means.

it applies here

Incidently, which is worse, making a thread like this, or condemning, then participating in such a thread?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Quite pleased someone bumped this thread if for nothing else other than to re-read and appreciate all over again this post by torqpoc www.abovetopsecret.com... and this post by SLAYER69. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Two excellent posts coming from different viewpoints etc.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Quite pleased someone bumped this thread if for nothing else other than to re-read and appreciate all over again this post by torqpoc www.abovetopsecret.com... and this post by SLAYER69. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Two excellent posts coming from different viewpoints etc.

Thank you so much for showing me this post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Blah, I care not for your pissing contest.
I just wanted to say that as a whole, the Americans I have met have all been pretty super, they acknowledge their country isn't the peace and light their Gov't would like to make out. Just don't include me in your "England hates America" because I represent a small % of English patronage, and I don't hate them... Sometimes they're annoying, but no more so than anyone who is bought up to believe they are the best in the world.

new topics
top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join