It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Lynda101

lol

Love the post.

This thread is getting me more smiles than I anticipated. (English sarcastic humor = best on earth)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Go up to any American cop, hell just stand on a soapbox in the middle of a city, and tell him you are going to kill the President. See how quickly your 'freedom of speech' rights erode in front of your very eyes.....

This is one of the most absurd statements, that has tried to sound logical, that I have seen on ATS.

That is not freedom of speech.....Wtf....give it up man.....your credibility has left the room with this one.

ETA: What I am trying to say is that if you do this, you need your azz beat for lack of respect for a fellow american. Freedom of speech..

edit on 2-7-2011 by liejunkie01 because: ETA.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
Might pop back when I have time later to explain why Scotland is the best country in the world. TV you say? Invented by a Scot. That's just for starters.

you heard it

We can totally blame the damned scots for the most destructive force on planet earth!

"They can take our lives...but they can never take...OUR FRE...oh wait, shhh, Jersey Shore is on!"

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Ever seen an angry drunk Scot? You'll find your reasoning right there hehe.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

You completely missed the point of the post mate

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Looking at the speech laws that exist in both countries, it is very apparent. In the US the limitation is where it excites a group to violence, such as saying fire in a crowded theater. Saying that the President should die or be assassinated is in the grey area of that law, and unless someone acts on it, it is protected on such. Even burning effigy of the President, having him swinging from a rope, while distasteful, is still protected. Even a talk radio host has made that suggestion and he is still on the air. But if you are in Great Britain and say something general and hateful about another group, you get fined and jailed. In the prior posting, it was shown the difference between the 2 countries laws. IN one country a direct threat, such as a person stating he is going to shoot the President, is frown on in both countries. However only in one country stating something derogatory about a group, will get a person in jail. Which holds the more restrictive nature?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

reply to post by liejunkie01

You completely missed the point of the post mate

So far, we have one drunk Scot.........Several a hole English? Or whatever you are.................And one cranky red neck american, all in one thread arguing over who is the best.....This is hilarious.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Sigh, OK fine. America is the greatest, bestest, mostest highestest country in the whole wide entire Universe. The greatness that comes gushing forth out of the Great Uranus-hole of the Great and Mighty America is so great, oh so great and I bow down and worship the very footprints that America the Bestestest leaves on the ground. All Hail America!!

Can I go now?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Actually, saying the president, or anyone, should die is not a gray area. its protected.

Now, saying your going to go kill...that moves it from speech and opinion, to threat of plot.

I can say I hope soandso gets cancer, that a bunch of people go kill him, etc etc etc...and beyond being considered a complete ass from coast to coast, I would be fine in doing so...the second I start plotting or instructing, then it is removed out of the freedom of speech and expression field and into criminal conspiracy.

Did you know, threatening to "kick someone's ass" is considered a criminal offense also?
no, not saying "you need to get your ass kicked"...but actually suggesting you are about to attack them somehow..

opinion is speech, plotting is a crime

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Sigh, OK fine. America is the greatest, bestest, mostest highestest country in the whole wide entire Universe. The greatness that comes gushing forth out of the Great Uranus-hole of the Great and Mighty America is so great, oh so great and I bow down and worship the very footprints that America the Bestestest leaves on the ground. All Hail America!!

Can I go now?

Yes, you may go now.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Actually I am out of here.

You folks have a good weekend. Liejunkie has a cabin rented on a lake for a few days.

Enjoy the weekend everybody.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

The reason why it is in the grey area of the law, as that it is often used in different forms of speech. Terms like I am going to kill so and so has become a part of everyday speech. And if you look at what comes from the mouths of some in the USA, it is far worse. There has been documented cases there one person or groups made what could be considered viable threats, but because of the nature and where it was stated, it was ignored by the authorities, thus it is considered to be grey area of the law. Many in say the Anti Abortion camp of the debate have stated that the abortion doctors should be shot and killed, that is a threat. Various religious persons stated that one group or another has stated outloud that some one or group should be shot and killed. Even some of the more extreme political groups, and it has been caught on tape, about killing one group or another, even to the point where those different groups have been investigated, but nothing ever comes of such.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
In the spirit of the OP. Let me tell you this.

We travelled from England to the USA last year. We enjoyed our trip very much. The people who didn't rob us or shoot at us were very friendly indeed. But eventually we had to return home.

When we got back home, we discovered a mouse in one of our suitcases, buried deep in some clothing. He must've hopped in when we were packing up in the hotel. American hotels. They even embed free pubic hair in the soap ... American generosity knows no bounds.

Anyway, I digress. Back to mousey.

Tragically, he was dead. Assuming he was a he, it was difficult to tell, such was his modesty downstairs. Much like American men, I'm reliably told. But we won't go into that here. I don't like intruding on the personal grief of so many ATS contributors here today.

My point is this. Even dead mice with no genitals are fleeing Obama's USA.

That says it all really. A true story, too.

Even the parts which are fictional are true.

I think England is better than the USA because :- (1) English mice have huge endowments (2) English mice don't hide in hoodies like girls do and (3)

link   

Ever seen an angry drunk Scot? You'll find your reasoning right there hehe.

Oy...(gears up for rage fest) okay...you have a point

But when we're in a good (drunk or sober) mood, we're really funny...everyone loves the Scots...

link   
reply to post by Kryties

And yet you missed the point of the entire post. The op asked why people think that America is better than England, and I merely pointed out that in the past, the achievements of the country raised it to the heights of the older world powers, and that the fact that we do have a bit more freedom where it comes to speech, is what makes the country great and a bit better than England. I did not mean to maline or be maliscous against Great Britian, as there are parts from that country that would outshine any other country, as would all other counties from time to time, both past and present.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

with regards to your opening post Saturn, i think your mean leaving out scotland, wales and northern ireland from the comparison, some of us actually have english friends as well!!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9322164f7f02.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
you forgot the british cctv

cameras EVERYWHERE

No, No there isn't - cities yes. Everywhere else ... No.

Get a grip.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by destination now

Oh don't get me wrong, I absolutely love you Scot's
I just think an angry drunk Scot is a force to be reckoned with

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

with regards to your opening post Saturn, i think your mean leaving out scotland, wales and northern ireland from the comparison, some of us actually have english friends as well!!

That would be unfair if he brought the Scots, Welsh and Irish in, because with our awesomeness we would win hands down

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join