It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

I am not a gun owner...unless the gun is made of pixels, then I am ultimately not a fan. I prefer swords..however, I do understand the enjoyment of gun ownership (I once owned a BB Gun, I was a mightly slayer of tin cans).
In the UK, you can own a shotgun if your a farmer...otherwise, nope...no collections, no handguns, etc...hell, even the average cop is left with little more than a billy club and a array of sarcastic remarks to stop crime.

This point can be argued either way...sure, murder and other violent crimes are far less than america, however percentagewise, the english have to deal with more burglery and other "minor" crimes.
Tradeoff? debateable..but its a difference that some would consider unacceptable (hold dead hands and whatnot).
And they are going to be in poor shape for the coming zombie apocolypse

Yep that is one pro of America, having a gun or a sword and your free to walk around with it on you, if I'm wrong then it just says that people have some shadow issues. (Shadow being their fear, everyone has it, just facing it is the hardest thing anyone can do.)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

American independence - not World independence. One day you bloody yanks will learn you're not the centre of the Universe

Huh? We're... we're not?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

You left out:
And destroy the self esteem of any competitors in the bargan.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

(and hey, One thing the brits have done for the world is give many many different lands a independence day.)

Rivaled only by Rome and we know where Italy stands in the line of world powers now dont we?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomCommander
Yep that is one pro of America, having a gun or a sword and your free to walk around with it on you, if I'm wrong then it just says that people have some shadow issues. (Shadow being their fear, everyone has it, just facing it is the hardest thing anyone can do.)

You know, I used to be fairly anti-gun overall...figured it was dangerous and primitive..sign of insecurity overall.

Then I listened to someone's short and sweet comment on it which turned my thinking around.

He said he goes everywhere with his gun (that he can go...no, he won't walk into a bank or whatnot with one, but you get the point)

His explanation was that it is not to threaten anyone, its to show that he cannot be threatened.
To talk to a person, debate a person, etc...you have only 2 ways of communicating
Either its done through convincing, or threatening.
If you have a gun on you, then that basically eliminates the threat method of making someone do what you want on a person to person level, therefore the only method left of debate is through convincing through merits and other cerebral ways.

It made sense to me...right, if I want something from someone, I am not going to threaten to take it from him if he is packing...I will instead request it, offer to buy it, etc...and that is how I personally would want to be treated (no threats).

It made me realize that the solution is to remove guns, but rather, find a way to arm everyone..that seems a better way to keep the peace.

I like the philosophy a lot. however, I personally am not a fan of firearms...as I said, give me a blade and I am happy...there is more art and civilty in blade fighting face to face than shooting someone 20 feet away..no accidents with a sword, every strike is meant, not just a warning slash gone wrong.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Oh beautiful
for spacious skies
for amber waves of grain
for purple mountains majesty
above the fruited plains

America, America, God shed his grace on thee
and crown thy good with brotherhood
from sea to shining sea

That pretty much says it all.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

One thing: The English have it all over us with language. We took it, and we ruined it.

lady, you are always one of the most gracious people to post here at ATS - honestly

you do us all proud - especially those of us who are less generous (and less gracious)

but, no need now - it only encourages them... :-)

oh, sure - they had Shakespeare - but that was a while ago

take away the accent - and then what have they got?

besides, we invented ALMOST everything

we do just fine on our side of the pond - and besides - we are cool

we have Elvis, Michael Jackson AND Madonna

in your face - England

(and now...she waits)

fun thread OP

happy 4th

-

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Oh mighty slayer of tin cans, with every post you garner more awe from me. LOL.

Heres one for you:
Language, I know theoretically we speak the same language but really do we?
US: Toilet UK: Loo
US: cigarette UK: fag
US: Call me. UK: ring me up.
US: come over to my place. UK: Knock me up. ( US has whole other meaning for that one dear brits)
US: Take a vacation UK : Go on holiday.

Mmn, i rarely hear people say loo except for me, people say toilet(well down my way they do), i also think people would use ciggie as slang for cigarette, YOur right about the other though, and i think the american word for holiday to describe christmas time is more correct, ;holiday= holi day.
and Vacation= vacating.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
we should measure the best country as the one that has the most people sneaking across their border illegaly.(JOKE)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
bugger the both of you, New Zealand is where it is at. 4million people, a land area similar to colorado. biggest city has just over 1million people but best of all only a quarter of us live in the south island and the majority of those live in two cities.

so i think i will pick my place over your place any day.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I'd be willing to wager that the average citizen of England possesses superior grammar, spelling and punctuation skills than the average American.

Wouldn't you agree, OP?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Oh beautiful
for spacious skies
for amber waves of grain
for purple mountains majesty
above the fruited plains

America, America, God shed his grace on thee
and crown thy good with brotherhood
from sea to shining sea

That pretty much says it all.

Fun fact about that
It was originally sung to the tune of "Auld Lang Syne", which is a scottish hymn
(really beautiful actually, have a listen, you may find some familiar aspects to it)

Then it was for the most part settled out of courty that it will be sung to Materna.

Another note...most people only know the first verse of this poem/song.

I prefer the first video...has that awesome celtic flavor to it

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by David291
reply to post by karen61057

epic fail, u was using slang rather than REAL english.

Really? Oh well.
I think my point was that English is not my language. I apparently speak American.

Oh and" u was" ? From your post.. Or perhaps it should be "you were"... That's proper english laddy.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by David291
reply to post by karen61057

epic fail, u was using slang rather than REAL english.

Really? Oh well.
I think my point was that English is not my language. I apparently speak American.

Oh and" u was" ? From your post.. Or perhaps it should be "you were"... That's proper english laddy.

or "you is" for proper hood ratanese"

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I prefer this song MORE better

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
wait, this is ATS !

what independence ?

we are all slaves to the lizards !!!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Growing up in the U.K., I appreciated America more. Because, for me, America just didn't start 200+ years ago. America has deep roots in England. We share so much of the same history, same values, similar culture.

That being said, I still can't figure out cricket. Or eel pie.

I do likes me some Bubble and Squeek though.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
wait, this is ATS !

what independence ?

we are all slaves to the lizards !!!!!

Behold, your king
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b5e63e2a43ab.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yes, thankfully we don't have guns, we just knock seven bells out of each other! But seriously there is a big problem with binge drinking and anti-social behaviour in many parts of the UK, and as someone mentioned earlier about the amount of CCTV coverage, these videos of a typical Friday/Saturday night in most towns and cities in the UK are sadly a familiar sight

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
ur thread proves it..americans are small little kids who want to be better and ...who have the biggest debt in the world

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join