learn more

Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
THIS IS NOT A TROLL THREAD!

ok, I wanted to have a somewhat light and "happy" thread about the pro's of the USA.
First I was going to go with comparisons in places like North Korea, China, etc..

But thats too simple, they are not even remotely on the same level...its like comparing a ferrari to a coal powered motor scooter.

I decided then to go with the country most loved by us generally, the UK...and more specifically, England.
our Independence day celebration is based off of breaking off from England and starting our own nation (Which England gladly accepted with no fuss
)

Anyhow, its hard as hell to figure out what is actually better between the US and England...the nations quality of life generally are matched point for point, which makes it even more interesting on the minor differences. And yep, there are differences...so, what is better then.

In the United Kingdom and the Crown Dependencies, any household watching or recording television transmissions must purchase a television licence, every year. As of 2010, this costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for black and white.[1] The licence is required to receive any television transmission, whether it is received via terrestrial, satellite, cable, or the Internet. A licence is not, and never has been, required simply to possess a TV set, for the purpose of watching pre-recorded content, or use as a monitor for video games or computers. Although income from the licence is primarily used to fund the television, radio and online services of the BBC, a licence is needed to view all broadcast channels, including commercial services. Total levies from the licence fee were £3.45 billion in 2009–10[2] of which £556 million or 16% was provided by the Government through concessions for those over the age of 75.

Now, this is something that I found sucked when I lived over there.
Every television in the house, if plugged in, requires you to pay the government for the opportunity to play the signals shot in your house anyhow. This money is used to pay off their stations, and that makes sense, but the whole philosophy is screwy (We will blast signals into your home...should you have a device that makes sense of it, you must pay)

In America, the average person has 63 televisions in their home (give or take). Putting a rule in like this would have many simply melt down into primal rage.

I am not a gun owner...unless the gun is made of pixels, then I am ultimately not a fan. I prefer swords..however, I do understand the enjoyment of gun ownership (I once owned a BB Gun, I was a mightly slayer of tin cans).
In the UK, you can own a shotgun if your a farmer...otherwise, nope...no collections, no handguns, etc...hell, even the average cop is left with little more than a billy club and a array of sarcastic remarks to stop crime.

This point can be argued either way...sure, murder and other violent crimes are far less than america, however percentagewise, the english have to deal with more burglery and other "minor" crimes.
Tradeoff? debateable..but its a difference that some would consider unacceptable (hold dead hands and whatnot).
And they are going to be in poor shape for the coming zombie apocolypse

Lower rate N/A 10% N/A £0 - £2440 applies only if total income falls in this band

Basic rate 10% 20% 20% £0 - £37,400

Higher rate 32.5% 40% 40% over £37,400

Additional rate 42.5% 50% 50% over £150,000

So, here in America, we are flipped out that millionares may be taxed at 39%, yet the UK simply taxes anyone over 150k (sterling, thats what..about 200k USD?) is 50%.
This fuels the many social programs (NHS, University, etc). So, the bling bling golden pools are a bit less common over there...and we love our golden pools.

(Personally, I have no issue with the tax rate, just wanted to toss this in for perspective)

The average temperature (if you take all year and average it out) is 55 degrees(f) and they average at about 1457.4 hours of sunlight. Thats not a lot...

This is a source of general pride for many, its a symbol of history and heritage..basically its their tourist trap.
In saying that, with the links to nazi's, the power they still hold and use (see shutdown of canadian government by order of the queen), and the forced taxpayer money going to support their existance, the whole structure itself is redundant and absurd.

We have our "royalty"...our famous tourist trap types...and we love them overall..however, their existance is built on the willful money sent to them by people (through movie sales, record sales, etc)...there is no threat of reposession on your crap or potential jail if you fail to give to them.

I am curious what you personally would suggest is better about America than England

Either way, happy Independence day ATS...

And to the english currently grumbling at this thread and ready to throw your tea at the monitor, Know that we jab because we love

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Who has 63 televisions..lol

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Appreciate the tone of your posting - just a quick point about the media and the cost of the licence. While many channels, both cable and not, are paid for by advertising, everything the BBC produces - and it's a huge amount of programming across different formats and platforms - is AD FREE! Just imagine how good that is. For £2.50 ($4?) a week, I think it's a good deal.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I thought and i'm pretty sure if does not matter if you have 10 tele's you only pay one licence fee

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Just wanted to point out that our tv liscence is per household not per tv otherwise we'd all be broke!!

Also you forgot to mention healthcare, i presume that in the states its also free?? your taxes do go towards that dont they?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snippy23

Appreciate the tone of your posting - just a quick point about the media and the cost of the licence. While many channels, both cable and not, are paid for by advertising, everything the BBC produces - and it's a huge amount of programming across different formats and platforms - is AD FREE! Just imagine how good that is. For £2.50 ($4?) a week, I think it's a good deal.

But who watches the BBC anyhow
Sky is where its at (plenty of commercials there)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
you forgot the british cctv

cameras EVERYWHERE

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by thequietone

Just wanted to point out that our tv liscence is per household not per tv otherwise we'd all be broke!!

Also you forgot to mention healthcare, i presume that in the states its also free?? your taxes do go towards that dont they?

Did things change?
When I was there, they charged for every color television that existed in the house and was connected. did things change or am I mistaken?

And according to the wiki, TV tax goes to support media.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I can never understand why one country has to be seen as "better" than another. if only their was no water seperating us all, maybe we would have to get along lol...or we would just build more walls and underground tunnels haha

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

I'm an Aussie so I'm not 100% familiar with how the Poms do things but I was under the impression that the TV license was only required if you wanted to watch the multiple BBC channels - and that the rest did not require a license.

This point can be argued either way...sure, murder and other violent crimes are far less than america, however percentagewise, the english have to deal with more burglery and other "minor" crimes.
Tradeoff? debateable..but its a difference that some would consider unacceptable (hold dead hands and whatnot).

Hmmm, Murder and other violent crimes VS burglery and minor crimes. On what planet do you think that being able to keep your guns is a better tradeoff than having to deal with a little burglery or whatnot? Ask a murdered person if they would prefer to be alive if it meant they had their TV stolen.....I can guarantee I know what the answer will be.

So, here in America, we are flipped out that millionares may be taxed at 39%, yet the UK simply taxes anyone over 150k (sterling, thats what..about 200k USD?) is 50%.
This fuels the many social programs (NHS, University, etc). So, the bling bling golden pools are a bit less common over there...and we love our golden pools.

Hmm.......personally I see no issue with taxing the rich to keep the country beautiful. What has America achieved with it's ridiculous taxing of the wealthy? Just about every piece of infrastructure in the entire country is crumbling, your jobs are going overseas and nobody wants to get sick because it would send them broke. Give me the British tax system anyday.

The average temperature (if you take all year and average it out) is 55 degrees(f) and they average at about 1457.4 hours of sunlight. Thats not a lot...

I'll agree that it's a tad dreary over there - but for me it just adds to the charm.

This is a source of general pride for many, its a symbol of history and heritage..basically its their tourist trap.
In saying that, with the links to nazi's, the power they still hold and use (see shutdown of canadian government by order of the queen), and the forced taxpayer money going to support their existance, the whole structure itself is redundant and absurd.

We have our "royalty"...our famous tourist trap types...and we love them overall..however, their existance is built on the willful money sent to them by people (through movie sales, record sales, etc)...there is no threat of reposession on your crap or potential jail if you fail to give to them.

America replaced monarchy with another form of royalty. The King (or Queen) simply changed roles and became Dictator instead - and then tricked the public into believing they actually had a say in who got elected.

Either way, happy Independence day ATS...

American independence - not World independence. One day you bloody yanks will learn you're not the centre of the Universe

Just a little Aussie humour for ya

edit on 2/7/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tangled2011
I can never understand why one country has to be seen as "better" than another. if only their was no water seperating us all, maybe we would have to get along lol...or we would just build more walls and underground tunnels haha

If there was no water between the UK and the US...well, first off, we wouldn't be celebrating anything on the 4th.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
We like our beer cold and everything deep fried. Yes we are fat but dammit we're happy thankfully do to the dumbing down of our educational system.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Americans have a propensity to want to be better than the next person - it's all about how they are brought up. They are taught that competition is good and if you want to get somewhere in life you must beat everyone else.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

You dont pay for EVERY tv in the home....the home itself requires the license...you can have as many tv's as you want for £145 a year.

If you live in a shared house every person has to buy a license....this may be what you experienced??

EDIT: I dont pay for a tv license despite owning a TV.....i dont watch TV....i have my PS3 connected, therefor i dont require a license. You only have to pay for a license if you are watching TV as its broadcast....ie if you watch the news at 9 at 9pm you need a license....if you watch it at 9:05 you dont need one. (iplayer etc)

The monarchy are not liked here in england....its a myth...a lie. Most people cannot stand the filthy parasites.

Wheres better uk or usa......hmmmm they both have their problems, they are both ruled by psychopaths.

Im from the UK...England...i cant stand the place but most places are worse

edit on 2-7-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
American independence - not World independence. One day you bloody yanks will learn you're not the centre of the Universe

Just a little Aussie humour for ya

Of course not.
The center of the universe is wherever Paris Hilton is at any given time...

(and hey, One thing the brits have done for the world is give many many different lands a independence day.)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

If there was no water between the UK and the US...well, first off, we wouldn't be celebrating anything on the 4th.

Is any country really free and independent in these times though? We all need each other.

A country can have its independance day and its symbolic statues, but at present most of us are still stuck as slaves to the system.

However times will change, their are some people out their who will hide in the shadows, and one day we will overcome it all. We will succed and only then should we celebrate...but in a worldwide celebration, together
edit on 2-7-2011 by Tangled2011 because: (no reason given)
edit on 2-7-2011 by Tangled2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Of course not.
The center of the universe is wherever Paris Hilton is at any given time...

You do make a good point there

Next question: Are you a 'Beleiber'?

link   
So much disinformation on this thread I had to register to put it right:

You only need 1 TV license no matter how many TV's you have in your house (or could be a maximum of 11, but i'm sure that was abolished) and as someone has already pointed out we pay these fees which in return funds a completely ad free set of channels.

Is is important for lots of reasons, but the main one is it maintains the level of quality of programs and also the amount of adverts that are shown. TV in America compared to England is worth the £150 a year!

Both countries have their good and bad points.

It comes down to:

Americans have more space, bigger houses etc.... This is offset as in England things are much closer and therefore the action is never far away.
The English have a far more open and correct view of the world... Americans have much more national pride, which is great, but unfortunately this also leads to a distorted view of the world.
America has pretty much all the climates you could want to visit all within one country.... English have europe/asia/africa on their doorstep and it then comes down to personal choice. Somtimes its nice to visit a place that's the same culture, other times its nice to see how others live and operate.
US Dollar is pretty weak at the moment... UK pound is weaker than its been, but strong against the dollar. Depending on your view point both of these are a plus and negative.
America is invaded by Mexicans.. England is invaded by pretty much everybody..

Apart from that its really all down to people and their differences.

American people on the whole are great, I'd say the British are a bit more reserved (unless drunk), the only common bad thing about Americans is the general lack of being able to understand accents, which is more do to with ignorance of the person than anything else.

Both countries have their good and bad, I'd say they were about equal. America does have Mexican fast food however and that is something England hasn't seen yet.

EDIT
------

The royal family in England are far more loved in America than England itself. Check out how many US reporters were at the royal wedding compared to European / English.

They serve a purpose for all British as they bring in far more income through tourism than they spend. To be fair I do not believe London would be visited by Tourist if the Royal family were not there, and maybe even wider... England as a whole.
edit on 2-7-2011 by latic because: (no reason given)

link   
Ah the Americans second ammentment.

We British are men, we dont need guns. Our police dont carry them either whats so bad about that? This is a country where if you have a problem a fist fight sorts its out no need to run for a weapon.

The BBC's subscription based service is 2nd to none and the liscense is not compulsury if you do not own/watch a tv. As said before tv with out adverts , films with out adverts how can this be a bad thing for a few pence a month.

Your country is a prision state, more and more threads everyday about how even pocession of a little cannabis carries a prision sentence also you still have the death penalty for peet's sake. Us civilised countrys done away with capital punishment decades ago.

You dont have the NHS- O'dear also you have to pay for medication, If i fall and break my leg, the ambulance is free, the treatment in A&E is free also the medication. You can go to A&E over here and be in and out with in 5 hours.

The land of CCTV it maybe but if your all by your self some night in the town and a few drunken louts 'jump you' then at least you know with in 5 minutes police will be at your side.

So yes America may be a world superpower but it only benifits the rich not like here where even immigrants and criminals get treated like human beings because life is precious.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
SaturnFX what the heck man? You put me in an awkward position. I have spent the entire time trying to create a list and just keep ending up with guns and better teeth (excluding the South). What exactly are you trying to prove here? That we cannot find anything much better here than the UK other than superficial issues? Way to be patriotic.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join