It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by Tangled2011
I can never understand why one country has to be seen as "better" than another. if only their was no water seperating us all, maybe we would have to get along lol...or we would just build more walls and underground tunnels haha

Americans have a propensity to want to be better than the next person - it's all about how they are brought up. They are taught that competition is good and if you want to get somewhere in life you must beat everyone else.

Competition is a good thing though, and striving for the number 1 slot is a worthy goal.

Personally, I find the norwegian/scandanavian areas of the world to be the best areas for living...America is just sort of up near the top close to them...sort of the upper middle. good, but not truely great.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
So this doesent detair from my previous comment. You ask any foreign person do they like the USA and I can guarantee they will say NO.

Hate me all you want its a simple fact most countrys think that US citizens are up their own #.

Hell ill even sign that last comment

~Michael McClenaghan
British and Irish Citizen

edit on 2-7-2011 by michaelmcclen because: grammar

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
So the doesent detair from my previous comment. You ask any foreign person do they like the USA and I can guarantee they will say NO.

Hate me all you want its a simple fact most countrys think that US citizens are up their own #.

~Michael McClenaghan

I second this

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

I can never understand why one country has to be seen as "better" than another. if only their was no water seperating us all, maybe we would have to get along lol...or we would just build more walls and underground tunnels haha

If there was no water between the UK and the US...well, first off, we wouldn't be celebrating anything on the 4th.

Is any country really free and independent in these times though?

Of course
America is the free'est, bestest, most awesome kickarse country on earth ever. My corporate master told me so!

(waves a chinese made american flag)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

So the doesent detair from my previous comment. You ask any foreign person do they like the USA and I can guarantee they will say NO.

~Michael McClenaghan

-considers...-
-considers still..-
-concludes-
Dont care

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

And therein lies the exact reason why his statement is true

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

~Michael McClenaghan

-considers...-
-considers still..-
-concludes-
Dont care

And there you have it the reason why the worlds dislikes America. (I could have said hate but unlike your country I can show compassion)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
SaturnFX what the heck man? You put me in an awkward position. I have spent the entire time trying to create a list and just keep ending up with guns and better teeth (excluding the South). What exactly are you trying to prove here? That we cannot find anything much better here than the UK other than superficial issues? Way to be patriotic.

Thats the beauty of it overall.
Its really damn hard to figure out anything objectively better about one over the other. Its a bit of frustration towards the endless yacking of politicians saying America is the best (at puzzles I guess) nation on earth...

Some things I like about the states (our portions at restaurants are staggeringly great...and buffets a mile long)...but overall, the two are so similar in every way that it really makes one consider what it is to be a citizen here...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

You're just upset because you lost have the Irish population to our country in the 19th century and we have 6 times as many Irish here than you do on your entire island. As for your British side that part of you is upset because you guys went from 'the sun never sets on the British empire' to 'we can't see the damn sun more than twice a year'.

Just so you know that was all joking not serious.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
lol the main issue with this post??
Its all about your independance day and saying how great america is (no problem with that, i think its great to be patriotic) but you chose to compare America with Britain, the damn country you became independant from!! if you chose, say, canada I think people wouldnt flame as much.
Oh and the us is hammering Britain on obesity rates across all ages, well done!!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

~Michael McClenaghan

-considers...-
-considers still..-
-concludes-
Dont care

And there you have it the reason why the worlds dislikes America. (I could have said hate but unlike your country I can show compassion)

-considers-

Stll dont care if some jackasses decide to hate the entire population of a country

There ya have it, I don't care what nationalists and elitists think...hate me for my apathy about other peoples opinion on my lifestyle...I find that funny

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
reply to post by michaelmcclen

You're just upset because you lost have the Irish population to our country in the 19th century and we have 6 times as many Irish here than you do on your entire island. As for your British side that part of you is upset because you guys went from 'the sun never sets on the British empire' to 'we can't see the damn sun more than twice a year'.

Just so you know that was all joking not serious.

Haha and thats another reason I love being Irish, so many Americans thinking because their grandmother drank a pint of Guinesses in the 1920's automatically makes them Irish. Thanks for the tourist money =)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
We have no issues burning up effigies of Obama et al.. and it happens more often than ever gets a mention in the media... but even one seems to be a big deal in the USA..

Not to worry it is all even handed... Bush Blair Brown Cameron etc etc etc also get the same treatment
as do the the pigs and the fat cats.. and well just about anyone who earns the ire of the people... especially reality TV stars

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a84e006ef902.jpg[/atsimg]
A Tableux of Cameron and Clegg after the defence cuts where announced..

Plus we also get to steal bits of American culture to pee our own gov off... an area by me declared itself the 24th State of the Union in the 1820s so they enjoy your holidays like Independence day and our holidays (rather greedy of them
)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e4e96f3d968c.jpg[/atsimg]

And tho we don't have many guns to speak of the people around here are not adverse to blowing things up they dislike.. *shakes fist at the hated pay and display parking meters*

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b4e94f938d44.jpg[/atsimg]

So all in all not a bad place with a few enjoyable freedoms.. just as I am sure America is not a bad place...
edit on 2/7/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

The only real difference I can think of which makes me not want to move to the UK is that they are more heavily taxed and regulated. Many would argue that their system benefits the Middle Class, I will not deny that, but at who's expense?

Anyways I love the British people that I have met they are all amazing. They remind me of the people from New England.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by thequietone
lol the main issue with this post??
Its all about your independance day and saying how great america is (no problem with that, i think its great to be patriotic) but you chose to compare America with Britain, the damn country you became independant from!! if you chose, say, canada I think people wouldnt flame as much.
Oh and the us is hammering Britain on obesity rates across all ages, well done!!

That is actually the point
We became independent from Britain
We celebrate this joyous occasion of being seperate from them.

So, lets point out what is different between the two and what we celebrate for...

Why would I want to compare to Canada...Canada is like Massachuttes...the money is different, otherwise, its the same bloody thing. (lived outside of toronto for awhile)

link   

Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

The USA has become much better than the UK at Tyranny over its people, whilst providing the illusion of freedom and liberty through democracy.

Ultimately, we have more in common than not.

We're just better at it all around.

link   
The main issue I have with it is, joking or not, it's still yet another American saying that their country is great and almighty and blah blah blah. If it were say the French or the Kiwis saying it - yeah it would be a laugh and everyone would have a good time. But in the instances of America saying it - everyone else just rolls their eyes and thinks "here we go again....."

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It is called history.

Never forget where you came from.....

Your ancestors made it possible for you to be here.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Unfortunatly if you lived here you would like the European Culture more, Ill admit it , it is a nice place to live but mainland europe is much nicer.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Ultimate, the post that the op has asked, is why one country is better than the other. And to be truthful in the matter, it comes down to the following things:
Since the rise of the United States, up until the decline in its government, the US has lead the charge in just about every aspect of life and accomplishments around the world, pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge and achievement. To quote JFK, “We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.”

The other point, and it may seem terrible to mention in this day and age, but would be groups like WBC and other hate groups, who spew their rhetoric, as distasteful as it is, they have that right, as do we all to speak and say what we so choose, without fear of reprisal or law suit, or jail. That alone, the ability to speak an idea and commit to it, that drive and very nature is what sets both countries apart.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join