It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time does NOT exist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Well, okay, I don't know if time does, or does not, exist. It sure feels like it does.

However, according to theoretical physicist Julian Barbour it definitely does not exist. Instead, there is a series of "eternal nows" each seperate from the other with their own seperate configuration. It's the relationship between these seperate nows that create the illusion of time, similar to how a movie is a sequence of still shots but the illusion of continuous motion is created because the stills are shot at a speed greater than what our eye can detect.

Part of where this comes up is with the unification of General Relativity with Quantum Mechanics. They have such different ideas of time that, according to Julian, the only way to create a marriage between the two is to say there is no time. This is represented in the Wheeler-Dewitt Equation, which has a property "known as timelessness. The reemergence of time requires the tools of decoherence and clock operators."

But, why not hear Julian tell you all about this instead of me.

I'm not sure I actually buy into this idea. But, it was such a different viewpoint that I found it very interesting for that reason alone.

More here:

Julian Barbour

Wheeler-DeWitt Equation

From Newton's Laws to the Wheeler-DeWitt Equation

edit on 27-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Very nice opening post-- succinct yet informative. Unfortunately it's too late in the evening for me to fully wrap my brain around it, plus I haven't had a chance to watch the vid yet. But I'll be back, because you've certainly captured my interest!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

The equivalent of frame rate. Static as mass assembles/ reassembles (spun density)... Kinetic as the Universe flows. I welcome you to my blogs as well.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

Dear EthanT

Really weird he agrees with me, I figured this out ages ago.

So I am not as strange as I thought.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
If time doesn't exist, prove to me where it doesn't exist then!

Bet you can't.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I have been pondering a lot about time lately, and I don't think time doesn't exist, how do even define time?

Anyways to the Gravity Probe B discovery confirming 2 of Einstein's Space-Time theories, Nasa Article , I'm guessing that theory of time goes as follows, please correct me if I'm wrong:

After he Big Bang and the Universe started expanding so was a dimension of time, that is usually represent by a series of lines, thus linear. The positions of the Sun and the Earth at a certain space time have a specific date, and that is how time works.

One of Einstein's theory's is that gravity can alter space time. I believe since the results of the Gravity B proved this to be true, I don't really understand what that means. So depending on the gravity of a planet you will have a different speed of time? But is that on a linear scale? So time on one of Saturn's Moons will be different than Earth? Is that confirmed by the difference in orbit and rotation compared to Earth? I'm not really sure I understand what that indicates, as far as what to anticipate if we ever travel through space. Or what does it indicate with other life out in space.

The quantum mechanics theory is what I've been really thinking about lately. It was hard to picture it with his model in the yt video, but I still understand the idea. In my own words I take it to be for every possible outcome there is a Universe for it. Which basically suggests Parallel Dimensions.

Now I don't really see how the two theories can't be coupled together maybe someone can clear that up for me. What I think is interesting is the quantum physics opinion.

What if ( a big what if), during the creation of Earth, there were other probabilities. During the evolution of life, there are infinite probabilities....

Now what if one of the probable outcomes for the first basic life forms on Earth were more advanced than our basic lifeforms. What if these advanced lifeforms evolved to a point where they could enter the other infinite dimensions of time. What if they were able to enter our dimension of time?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

All places and no places... "Where" is exactly the same with a unique overlay for any given frame.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by game over man

You're using my alter-ego's name...facebook.com...

Nice!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Time doesn't exist in your dreams.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Time does not exist, like everything else it is just a product of our perception.

List of things that do not exist:

Nothing solid exists: the closer you look you will see things just get denser, but nothing is solid.

Nothing is really heavy: the closer we look the more we see things are mostly empty but contain smaller things that are mostly empty and so on.

Nothing is really round: The closer we look the more we see it is actually made up of straight lines

Nothing is really anything: everything you see is actually all the same, it is just our perspective, how can we define where something starts and something ends when the closer we look we see everything is made up of the same thing. Everything is persepective.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

Everything is persepective.

If everything is perspective, then what is the next logical step? Easy A on this one...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

That's what I have been saying on ATS. I came to this conclusion after reading several ideas from Alan Wolf to Michael Talbot. Must check the video though, read only the text.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I think of time as a system or measure used to quantify existence rather than something that exists in an of itself.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
The 'concept' that time does not exist is not a new one. The process goes something like this...as the blurb describes - time as we percieve it is a series of 'nows', similar to a film reel - the eternal Now. Fact is, it is the only time that exists, because you cannot affect anything outside of the Now...the past is written in stone, the furture is all possibility and all probability until you make a choice in the Now which sets it in a particular direction - from your viewpoint - and virtually collapses all probabilities and possibilities pertaining to that 'time stream', and creates new ones from the new, 'now' point. So indeed, the only time is NOW.
Cx

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Sad that most of you don't understand Dutch but ah well;

First Dutch Astronaut talking about how we have to let go of our notion of time in order to see other things and LIFE in the universe. Because according to his hypothesis, we can't see each other because we have different times, we are limited.

He says how we used to be stuck on "space" but as we've moved forward we've become stuck on "time" (earth is flat - earth is round, revolutionary idea).

Very interesting to me that an astronaut decides to take this point of view.

And no, the woman falling on the stairs wasn't photoshopped in.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

I think that man is going to end up go crazy with all his photograps and triangles.

All he needs to do is accept that time does not exist.

Time creates boundaries/limits. Without it there are no boundaries/limits.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

this looks like his idea, only in english.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
If time doesn't exist, prove to me where it doesn't exist then!

Bet you can't.

if you are not ready to hear that time does not exist, then you are not ready.

proof is not needed when you realise this truth.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

time does not to me, its just a measure between events such as coming into existence and non-existence. Example as you where not here before your own birth, but coming into existence came into the system of measurement made by others. these years which is a other factor that adds to the records that progress till you go back into the non-existence and is redone over and over again. This is a loop and time cant exist within a infinite loop as time only moves forward in our own ability of perception. If time has to loop, it is then not moving forward and is non real. Man has made everything, time is just a other unit of measurement. BTW, I know I am not explaining this right but i felt like just talking for once and sharing what little point of view i can summery up.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
How is it that time is broken down and studied ?

Isn't it true that if it can be studied, observed, then it does indeed exist ?

Sedia
Well you have a couple more questions here if you wold like to continue ?
edit on 27-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join