It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time does NOT exist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

How is it that time is broken down and studied ?

Isn't it true that if it can be studied, observed, then it does indeed exist ?

Time is just a word humans made to define a other unit of measurement between events. If you think about it, till the word was made did the word time even mean anything, did the word have a value before we created it?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Sedia

Time is just a word humans made to define a other unit of measurement between events. If you think about it, till the word was made did the word time even mean anything, did the word have a value before we created it?

I think we may have a debate here.
Day and night being of equal division do to a constant = time. Is not time just celestial movements and a numbers system used for counting. Therefore, it can be broken down and studied.
edit on 27-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

anything that can blow my mind away would be welcome, as i am trying to stay awake and feel in a state of being high will cause anything to feel fun.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
reply to post by badw0lf

Time doesn't exist in your dreams.

No wonder no sooner I put my head to pillow, that I am awake -
AWAKE no less, that a job I will not keep. Nor could I. It's leroys afterall..

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Index to lip
Shhh I think badwolf is sleep typing.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

B*snorrree* 8*phseeooooo*.. B*snorrree* 8*phseeooooo*..

Id rather hold my greens than the balance of my senate!!! Oo

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

reply to post by Sedia

I think we may have debate here.
Day and night being of equal division do to a constant = time. Is not time just celestial movements and a numbers system used for counting. Therefore, it can be broken down and studied.

lol but who is to say its always been as such, i believe i remember reading somewhere that the speed of the earth has not always been the same, It is well known that the rotation of planet Earth is gradually slowing. as it slows days get longer and the time i would like to presume change and we adapted to it. So that means time has not always been a straight arrow, it has bended and shifted and we as a result recalculated our units of time. the moment this system was created meaning sun and planets its been nothing more then 1 celestial event to a other, as other bodies and other factors that have influence orbits and other factors. i mean look at the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, it could of been a other planet that may had direct been influence by a other celestial body. again i cant say anything in absolutes cause in the end we all have to admit that untill evidence we cant prove or disprove a other agreement of words we created.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

That proves time does exist. There are to many things time is for.
Time for peace
Time for war
Time for bed.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Sedia

Sorry again on late responses, I am fighting the state that is sleepiness lol

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

reply to post by badw0lf

That proves time does exist. There are to many things time is for.
Time for peace
Time for war
Time for bed.

what about in a state like before the big bang, where their is no events, noise, life, death, religions. their is just immortal nothingness.
edit on 27-6-2011 by Sedia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT
It's the relationship between these seperate nows that create the illusion of time

This looks like backward reasoning to me. We notice the phenomena that events occur in a sequence. We label this phenomena "time". It seems to me that the simple fact that events can occur in a sequence is prove that time exists.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Sedia

Ahh but words do retain their power don't they ? Are you saying that the concept of time exists only because
of the word used to describe it ?

There is no way, that something that can be broken down in increments, watched and studied everyday by millions. Simply does not exist. I don't care how big you're far gone brain gets. Time exists.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

reply to post by Sedia

Ahh but words do retain their power don't they ? Are you saying that the concept of time exists only because

change or movement or time, they all as words describe a chain of events, as with out none of these would the word time not have any power. In my mess up sleepy head on this moment i feel time is a illusion, this is only energy and non existence. many actions of people aka using their energy that still affects us in the now. energy/action in most ways use to affect the physical world are what give time any power. words are just a means to define how these energy's affect and don't affect us. I so feel like a hippy right now lol.
edit on 27-6-2011 by Sedia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Sedia

wow i just read what i wrote. i think I'm going insane without any sleep, thxs for the conversation as I am just about head to bed and forget about anything i got to do today.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Sedia

Uhuh I thought so. Ladies and gentleman this is what happens to members on ATS when they don't ease into the addiction. You can't take big bites when your first starting out. Like I said time for bed.
Get some sleep Sed I'll be here when you wake.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by -PLB-

Originally posted by EthanT
It's the relationship between these seperate nows that create the illusion of time

This looks like backward reasoning to me. We notice the phenomena that events occur in a sequence. We label this phenomena "time". It seems to me that the simple fact that events can occur in a sequence is prove that time exists.

Problem with your theory...events occuring in sequence is not 'fact'...now, if you had have said, being percieved as occuring in sequence...this might have led you down a different path.
Akushla

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

reply to post by Sedia

There is no way, that something that can be broken down in increments, watched and studied everyday by millions. Simply does not exist. I don't care how big you're far gone brain gets. Time exists.

I dont think anyone is saying anything of the sort.
Splitting the arrival of time from the actual 'time' being experienced, and then to the past time - should tell you a few simple truths.
A) the past cannot be experienced as an actual event
B) the present you experience as you are reading this will be the past
C) the future is all the things that could be happening

Either way you look at this, it points to one fact.
The ONLY 'actual' time in which anything can be changed or experienced, is NOW...which was 2 seconds ago!
Akushla

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

The only thing I don't quite understand about your post ? Is why you wrote it. How is any of that information ?

If time is the indefinite and continuous duration, reguarded as that in which events suceed one another. Then time does exist. It can be studied and investigated, even though it is in the past and cannot be experienced.
The same with the future, if the study begins in the now and is observed into the future.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

i thought it was called space time the 4th dimension
just thought id put that out there
edit on 27-6-2011 by philware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by game over man
I have been pondering a lot about time lately, and I don't think time doesn't exist, how do even define time?

Good question. I once heard an explanation of time as the following:

You have a marble wall that is 100 feet high by 10 feet wide that runs the circumfrance of the Eath at its largest point. Take a bird that is holding a piece of silk. That bird will then fly around the world while dragging the silk on the marble.

When that wall is reduced down to nothing, then you would have 1 second of eternity.

After seeing the info present, I kind of understsand (I think) what he is saying. Humans have this need to classify things we cant explain. Take the begining point of existance and run it all the way through till you reach the end point of existance. Anything and everything in between is not a seperate event, its one continuous event.

This video I think sums up what he is saying rather nicely. The portion I am talking about starts around 40 seconds in.

edit on 27-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join