It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TYPOs drive me CRAZEY!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

At shcool I managed to get an A in english, but am an awful speller. When I post as much as I do online I just dont have the time to be bothered checking my spelling or even using spell check everytime.

But nothing annoys me more than when I make a very good, well thought out point in a discussion and then the other party ignores entirely what I have written and just says 'huh huh huh you cant even spell properley'. They then proceed to act as if I literally typed every word out by blindly tapping at my keyboard when in reality its always just a couple of simple mistakes and it is easy to understand what I was saying.

I find it mind boggling that people are more concerned about spelling that the actual topic and it is as if they can not work out what a mispelled word is, like they are a computer who only can recognise the exact spelling of a word so just give up totally trying to reply and just act like the idiotic teachers pet who cant wait to point out someones mistake like they are so very clever and wise because they know how to spell a word that someone has got wrong.

I say dont worry about it, if its in an essay then offcoarse its important, on a forum or talking online it really amazes me how much poeple get worked up about it, especially considering how serious many of the issues that are being discussed on here are. Also please take into account many people are dyslexic or have similar problems, I for example read words wrong fairly often and even after looking over it a few times still repeat my error, It isnt because im being lazy or am stupid, its just because of the way that letters and words appear to me that maks it hard in certain circumstances to visualise the difference, then when I finally notice my mistake I feel very embaressed and silly (this happens a lot in my personal life btw and people always assume im being a bit thick and not that I have an actual problem)

So anyway please take it easy on us folks, its not our fault!

edit on 02/02/1987 by clintdelicious because: (no reason given)

edit on 02/02/1987 by clintdelicious because: moletiple tiepO's and spelin minstakse

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by Amaterasu
"Their" or "There" when it should be "They're."

Actually, that was one of my retard issues I only overcame a few years ago...never really knew when to use their verses there verses they're...then someone finally clued me in about the i meaning someone...its their shoes...simple things like that

*versus

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

sort of like a quota filling for the day

filling a quota...or just practice for being bad at english.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I love this thread! If it were only so easy as having a practice thread to get out my mistakes before posting. It'd save me lots of editing. I nearly always catch the typos that other people make, I'm just never quite as good at catching my own. I very rarely correct other peoples mistakes, at least online. My 11 year old wishes that I would stop catching and correcting hers, though.

The one time I was kind of douchey about it online was here in a thread a few years ago. It was a topic about schooling. It was about home schooled kids or had just turned in that direction. I was home schooled as a kid and dislike hearing about how bad an idea it is to home school. When I returned to public school, I tested 3 grades ahead of my age group and had always been a little social butterfly. I wasn't one of the home school horror stories of illiterate, unsocialized, barely able to function children.

So, this public school teacher is on the thread just ranting away at how horrible it is for parents to home school. Really talking up the idea that home schooled kids are less likely to get a solid education, how it is a disadvantage academically and what not. Pushing the premise that parents aren't able to teach kids as well as a public school teacher. Just being arrogant. Unfortunately for her, the posts she had written were littered with misspelled words and bad grammar. So, I kind of called her out on one of the really more noticeable mistakes. Something like mixing up wood and would or roll with role. Small words that a teacher should have known.

I got it out of my system and moved on and went back to noticing (while hoping my own would be overlooked or at least not announced), but not saying anything. That is why I love this thread. I figured I was the only one so horrible as to constantly notice all of the typos and grammar errors. I just don't dare say anything because my posts would be easy pickings for someone to come back with their own red pen, as it were.

Take care,
Cindi
edit on 6/25/2011 by Glencairn because: I also need to remember that paragraphs are my friends.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

I get annoyed as well if someone bothers the language on purpose, which is sometimes the case with text generation teens of today.
I don't have a problem with people who have flawed grammar and spelling due to dyslexia or being non native English.
I have more problem with people who act like grammar nazis and have to correct every damn mistake.

With whom do you have more of a problem: Your so-called "grammar nazis" or the lazy union teachers who aren't doing their job by making sure kids know proper grammar and spelling?

I have a bigger problem with the latter.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I am guilty of posting when I am to tired to proof read or pay attention to my my spelling and grammar. I'll come back on the next day, read what I wrote, and then proceed to hang my head in shame.

My daughter is a total grammar nazi. She will read over my shoulder and correct me as I type. Drives me nuts.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
For me, the bigger picture is much more important than nitpicking the pieces. There are truly brilliant people and people with very valid points or thoughts that may not fit your idea of perfect grammar and spelling. Typos, bad grammar, less than perfect spelling just doesn't take away from the thought or point itself if you're seeking the meat of a post and not the fault in it.

Personally, Ive just never felt the compulsion to nitpick and try to control everyone around me. Maybe its just me, but I find those correction posts by far more annoying than the bad spelling or typos. At least the bad speller is on topic.

Not all of the spelling or grammar nazis, but some really seem to be rabid about it. Some are very offensive and incredibly arrogant about it. I don't think they realize how they appear to others. To me, they appear petty, haughty, in desperate need of something to control, and it seems to smack of someone who has so little going for them that they need to find fault in others to feel better about themselves. Of course I could be wrong in that judgment, but usually when it quacks like a duck....

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

I sort of blame texting. auto spell correct, and other types of programs to not sharpen the brain.

I think the education system is partly to blame too, I knew a guy who made it all the way though school and still couldn't read a fast food menu. How did he (and others I'm sure) make it all the way through school and still be illiterate?

I think technology is going to cause the most rapid evolution of language ever in human history. I don't think "texting" style shorthand is going to phase out any time soon. The language that my generation uses may just become the norm and by the time I'm an old man English could be some crazy mix of acronyms, phonetic words and gibberish. It's sad in a way, but if it's more effective/efficient for the common means of communication then it may prevail regardless of the resistance from old timers.

You did read 1984...? As a language is "culled," as things are removed and simplified, the ability to express all ideas diminishes - and in turn erodes the ability to FORMULATE ideas. For this reason is a full and rich language a boon to civilized Humanity. A reduction in communication possibilities is ideal for slaves, in fact.

Surely it is best if We focus on teaching a rich language like English initially - and then allow Our children to devolve each on Hume's own, linguistically speaking.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by juleol

I get annoyed as well if someone bothers the language on purpose, which is sometimes the case with text generation teens of today.
I don't have a problem with people who have flawed grammar and spelling due to dyslexia or being non native English.
I have more problem with people who act like grammar nazis and have to correct every damn mistake.

With whom do you have more of a problem: Your so-called "grammar nazis" or the lazy union teachers who aren't doing their job by making sure kids know proper grammar and spelling?

I have a bigger problem with the latter.

I might point out that if Our teachers had 10-12 students each, the quality of education would skyrocket. Requiring teachers to teach 20, 30, 50 students at a time is hardly conducive to offering close assistance when a pupil needs it. Don't land the blame on the teachers. (Not saying there are no bad teachers, but most would be good if They did not have absurd class sizes.)
edit on 6/25/2011 by Amaterasu because: punctuation

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

You did read 1984...? As a language is "culled," as things are removed and simplified, the ability to express all ideas diminishes - and in turn erodes the ability to FORMULATE ideas. For this reason is a full and rich language a boon to civilized Humanity. A reduction in communication possibilities is ideal for slaves, in fact.

What a great brief explanation of this concept. Very well done. 1984 should be required reading for every American.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Incidentally, I've read that Orwell favoured smaller words over more intricate ones in his writings. Better accessibility perhaps?

On topic:
My pet peeve is the misspelling, 'Rediculous'. I know, It's ridiculous

PTX

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Seeing as this thread has been all but abandoned I'll add one more post for the selfish purpose of my own venting.
Take these three examples: Should of, could of and would of.

DERNK! Wrong!

They should have each had 'have', in place of 'of'!
Should have, could have and would have. Okay?

There... I feel much better. Does anyone else?

PTX

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Planet teleX

Well... I think that that phrase entered usage after the degradation into "should-uh" (would-uh, could-uh) occurred. As in, I should-uh done that. So I think the phrase started out "should-uh, would-uh, could-uh." "Uh" and "of" are very similar, and when typing and not thinking, "of" is likely to show up.

But You are indeed correct. It should be "have," as that is the word "uh" represents.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join