It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is for you "men" out there

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaWhiz
We always remember!

I had to listen to it once you mentioned it, and i sit here in shock at how much this song influenced me. thank you

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I used to be the same way with my boy. If we wanted to go over to the denny's and have some breakfast with our treasure troll bedroom slippers on, that's what we would do. If we wanted to bust out some yougio cards in the macdonalds and have a battle, that's what we would do. Of course he was only a kid then. He is fourteen now and he might hit me in my eye if I came around his friends with some treasure trolls on.

My point is, enjoy those things while you can, because, while she will always like to hang out with you and think that you are cool and even dress up with you and laugh about it, There will come a time when more often than not those things will embarass her. and she will not want to hang out with you so. "Dad!?! You're embarrasing me."

Besides, the bright side is, One day she will owe you big.

HFD

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
To me not caring what people think doesn’t make you a "real man". Once she is older in school what happens if all the school kids remember? I know you will say it doesn’t matter what they think but she might not see it that way. I’m not a dad but I’m pretty sure you could keep her happy putting it on a doll or something. All I’m trying to say as though it’s cute now a few years down and kids have a tendency to blow things way out of proportion. To be honest if she is six I think it is even worse that she is already learning to use make up tbh.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
You guys who are sort of bashing these young dads... well, times are different.
I see some of the points, but now-a-days... dads have to be both moms and dads and moms have to be both moms and dads. Things are a lot different these days IMO... and everyone is trying to make the best of the messes we make in our lives... and keep our kids whole. So, offer opinion, but dont bash. Like I always say, it is what it is

For dads who just cant manage to be moms too.. no worries.
My father was the most "manly man" on the planet and there was no girling him up. In fact, it would have been bizarre to even think of doing that in the late 60's early 70's with your dad! However, I didnt need it to "bond" with him. I loved him and thought he was superman regardless of not being able to paint his nails or put glitter in his hair.

My husband is the father of 3 girls.. the poor man. He doesnt need to be mom too as Im here and finds other ways to bond with the girls that dont include our woman rituals
Besides, he'd make a horrifying looking girly dad and probably be arrested if he went out dolled up. He is scary enough looking without glitter... I think folks would run and scream if he walked around with a princess crown and some lipstick. The closest the girls ever got to "grooming" him was shaving off his moustache... slightly against his will.
The cool thing about all of it though is that even though he lacks a male to share his many interests/activities, he has never tried to make out girls little boys or make them feel less for not being "his boys". He always likes it when they naturally are interested in more so-called "masculine" things, but there is never a push. SO many things about him make him the perfect dad... in our opinion of course!

Happy Father's Day.. a day late.. all you dads!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

Happy belated fathers day from one father to another. I'm glad to see there is another dad out there like me, and I know quite a bit of dads like this. The greatest thing that ever happened to me was when my son, who is now eight, was born. I actually laughed out loud OP when you said you walked to the store looking like that, the things we do for our children lol. Nice to see someone that loves their child as much as I love mine..cheers to you my friend

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

yet the fact that I in shared a brief moment in time that doesn't fit your supposed idea of a man means I don't do anything else with my daughter. I never said I enjoyed the attention what I said was I notice the attention and how people perceive a "man". You really are so stuck on yourself that you feel a need to bring everyone down. Well, hate to inform you, but you can not bring me down, I taught my daughter to swim, she's hiked to the top of the tallest mountain in the phoenix area, she's got 3 ant farms, she loves to lay on the ground and look at the sky with her great great grandfathers binoculars. The only thing I buy her is books, I am rather pleased to learn that you hate men so much that you feel the need to attack them at every opportunity. Kudos to you. I can tell that many who have posted here would share similar stories, and others like you would sit off in a corner sulking because no one wanted to be around you. You total missed the point of my OP and that is all on you. You are nothing to me, nothing but text on a screen, and without a doubt aren't worth the time getting to even know, you are so judgemental and blind to the obvious its rather sad. I hope that one day you might find some peace in your life that you don't hate it so much. You have misread everything i have written and it just goes to show the nature of public educations role in dumbing down the sheepel. you have done nothing but attack me because you lack something in your life, and well, that's not my issue.

wow..talk about making generalizations now?? The point of your OP was to make yourself look good , and to prove to other men on fathers day what a real man is, which you really didn't. now you are calling me every name in the book, saying I'm one of the sheeple , because I dare disagree with your little escapades to the store for attention after your quality parenting time has allowed your daughter to paint all over you.

I like my life well enough , and because I have the mind to speak out about things that irritate me, all of a sudden I'm some unhappy soul , just waiting to hate on things??
C'mon, it seems to be you who is intent on hurling hate at me, and getting others to do so...all I did was give a personal opinion on a very self gratifying post, that seemed to be a jibe at other men , who wouldn't carry a tinkerbell wallet. Because after all that is what good dad's should do that love their daughters.

Problem is I'm not a sheeple , and when I see nonsense, I speak out ...and seems as if I have hit a nerve with you, because as much as you say what I think doesn't matter, why are you so intent at hurling hate on me ?

So I'm sorry to say , you are wrong about me, and I'll keep my down to earth view points thank you , and you can run along a let your daughter paint your nails...and pretend to yourself you're some kind of hero. I really don't care what you or any other person here will accuse me of, I know who I am , and why I say things.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

You sounds like a great dad.
Keep up the good work.
Your daughter will thank you, when she have grown up.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Hey buddy.

I too am a dad. But instead of all this Disney indoctrination cr*p you talk about, she's into "The Matrix" and funny Kung Fu movies by Stephen Chou or flicks by Jim Carrey. She's becoming a bit of a Tomboy, but like you, I let her be herself. Kids got to discover themselves, but when she's roughing it out with her older brother - I JUST DON'T KNOW.

Have I done something wrong and you haven't? I admit I got a bit jealous there when you were telling your story about the make-up and nail polish. In cartoon network, I catch her watching Ben10 rather than "my li'l pony" or some such. Is it the neo culture? She get's furious when big boys beat her at counter strike (even if most of the time she owns them). But I explain to her how do you think those boys feel when you beat them. I saw my nephew cry when she dominated him in a Marvel vs Capcom fighting game, and he's in puberty! Let's just say she's below 8!

It's weird. She's a bit muscular, runs fast, and loves basketball and football (soccer). At times I found myself wishing she were my son. Thinking aloud here and being truly honest. But because she's a girl, I really want to tell her she should help in the kitchen.

But I don't. I just can't force her to like something she doesn't and vice-versa. Meanwhile, my son helps in the kitchen - a lot! Mild mannered and sophisticated eh?!?!? Got a knack for culinary arts and lego... houses. I mean... I got mad at her once and my son cried. What the....???

Sigh.

Anyway, happy father's day - even if this wasn't in the bible. Guess MCDee or a Mall owner invented another day of spending - TEEHEE!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I’m a dad with a daughter and did the same things, including the tea parties. Loved every minute of it. I would kill or die for my kids. My kids are great gentle and smart.
I try to be straight and honest with them and answer all their question the best I can. I stress to my kids to be their own person and stand up for what they believe in and help others that need it. Recently my son took matters into his own hands and confronted a group of bullies picking on another kid. He didn’t really know the other kid but said he couldn’t stand what was happening. Without fighting (and he is a black belt) he made enough noise and comments that others joined in and apparently the bullies sheepishly walked away. So far as I understand it the bullies have left the kid alone and are keeping out of other kids faces.
Let your kids be kids, I do. Guide them with a gentle hand and don’t bull# them, and don’t let them bull# you. That’s what I do and so far so good.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Sounds like you are a great Dad. You still would be, even if you didn't let her put makeup on you and paint your nails. Not sure how healthy that is in the long run. Not sure what response seeing you in public like that would cause, but I don't respect would be very high on the list. "Pussy whipped isn't appropriate, but something along those lines. Not everything that makes us happy is good for us.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
my boy loves star wars and super man and all things boyish and i admit i quite enjoy it when he says can i wear my darth vader suit complete with helmet and light saber and he makes me dress up like all sorts and im not bothered by others reactions as i do it for my boy to see that smile on his face cos to him its fun and i actually quite enjoy it makes me feel like a little boy again gives me an excuse to run round town having light sabre duels with my boy he loves every minute of it and so do i

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

He is doing this during visits. Not in front of her school friends. And why would anyone raise their kid to worry about what the herd thinks, anyway? I thought here at ATS we were independent thinkers who march to the beat of our own drum, which is why we don't like the masses controlling our every breath via the nanny state arm of the government.

I never gave two $h#%s what my classmates thought. And I never had a problem with them. They respected me just fine because they knew I didn't care what they thought and their peer pressure tricks weren't going to work on me. Consequently, my friends were real friends and not the types who would ditch me because I chose the wrong brand of shoes that week.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
Your post brought tears to my eyes. Also made me laugh! Happy fathers day to you and I wish you the best! You sound like a great guy. S & F.

Seriously? You were really sitting at the keyboard crying? Like, literal tears running down your face?

Wow... I bet you were a ball of fun at the movie Lion King....

Sorry, just a Monday.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

I thought your post was interesting considering your signature.

CJ

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Hey there OP. Glad you're a good dad - but is it just me or do you seem to have a really large chip on your shoulder?

How about this instead...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
BE WARNED!

Once they get older and get real nail polish...plus the technique for applying...it is incredibly hard to get off.

I have had pink toenails for a couple of days now, and I am considering my palm sander for removal.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

that's a bit drastic. Nail polish remover is available. It is sold amongst the nail polish. It stinks to high heaven, though.

My husband won't let his nails get painted nor would it occur to my daughter to even ask at this point because I am available for the beauty experiments, or horror show, however you deem to judge the results, lol. But he does play Barbies with her. They come up with some interesting adventures. He does the voices for Ken or Barbie's pets and turns then into some pretty funny characters. I like how he plays Barbies with her because he introduces some concepts and stories that would not occur to me when I play with her and do the more feminine style stuff with her. Even though I was a tomboy, and bring some nontraditional perspectives to girlish pursuits myself, there is no way I can come up with all the twists to the game that my husband can.

Even though my husband won't let his nails get painted when I told him about this thread he was sympathetic to NuroSlam and said if we were divorced and he was the only parent available and our daughter wanted to play beauty shop, he would consent to some polish. He wouldn't go out in it, but he does do other silly things in public to amuse her and some of the kids we babysit.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
wow..talk about making generalizations now?? The point of your OP was to make yourself look good , and to prove to other men on fathers day what a real man is, which you really didn't. now you are calling me every name in the book, saying I'm one of the sheeple , because I dare disagree with your little escapades to the store for attention after your quality parenting time has allowed your daughter to paint all over you.

So now in addition to being a psychologist you are also a mind reader, to refuse to even acknowledge what I have been saying, going on and on about how I am nothing more then an attention whore. well bully for you I wish I was as perfect as you are.

I like my life well enough , and because I have the mind to speak out about things that irritate me, all of a sudden I'm some unhappy soul , just waiting to hate on things??
C'mon, it seems to be you who is intent on hurling hate at me, and getting others to do so...all I did was give a personal opinion on a very self gratifying post, that seemed to be a jibe at other men , who wouldn't carry a tinkerbell wallet. Because after all that is what good dad's should do that love their daughters.

I'm the one hurling hate, you have done nothing but attack me because for some unknown reason you feel I have slighted some "man". For the very last time, I will attempt to type at a third grade level so that maybe you can actually understand the nature of the post, I gave an example of how I ignore the idea of a stereotype about being a man, yes because another man suggested that a man wouldn't do that. Not to make myself look good, not for some pat on the back and sure as hell not for your "approval" but maybe on the off chance it might get someone to think about it. I don't need your validate, your approval or anything else that you may or may not have to offer, you are close minded, indeed as egotistical as you suggest I am.

I know who I am , and why I say things.
Yet when I suggest the same thing over and over again you in fact do nothing but call me a liar. again bully for you and your self-righteous nonsense.
edit on 20-6-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I didn't call you a liar, I called you an attention seeker.

I didn't care for your post..how's that?

I'm not the only one..so get over it.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

I didn't call you a liar, I called you an attention seeker.

I didn't care for your post..how's that?

I'm not the only one..so get over it.

I know who I am , and why I say things.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join