It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assisted suicide advocate Kevorkian dies at age 83

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Assisted suicide advocate Kevorkian dies at age 83

www.washingto ntimes.com

DETROIT (AP) — A lawyer and friend of Jack Kevorkian says the assisted suicide advocate has died at a Detroit-area hospital at the age of 83.

Mayer Morganroth tells The Associated Press that Kevorkian died Friday morning at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, where he had been hospitalized. He says nurses played classical music by Kevorkian’s favorite Johan Sebastian Bach before he died.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
www.usatoday.com

edit on 3-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: video

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I've always been on the fence about his views, so to speak. Wonder if this will hinder the movement set for in terminal people's choice of life and death. For good or for bad, he left an impact on the medical world. Now we'll see where it goes.
The first state, In 1997, Oregon passed the Death With Dignity Act. Wa State was the second state to pass the law.

www.washingto ntimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
do i really have to ask?

ok, did he have help?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
He stirred up tons of debates in his time,nevertheless may his soul rest in peace

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hypocrite should have offed himself years ago.

What was he waiting around for?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
God Bless Him.

As a healthcare worker and having witnessed first hand the suffering that most do not know until they may reach it.... God Bless Dr. Kevorkian and his attempts to enlighten everyone at great expense to himself.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

How was he a hypocrite?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

i honestly hope you are never stricken down with a terminal illness that will steal the last few years of your life from you, leaving you in constant unbearable pain with no hope of relief.

Or maybe I hope that does happen, I really don't know.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
ah you beat me to it by eight minutes...lol...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

This was a sad day, I fully support this DR and this man. Personally think it is a persons choice to chose how they will consciously meet death and it is evil to force people to die slow painful deaths. Even an injured pet is put down to keep it from suffering, this is a political and religious call and one I fully disagree with on every level.

Death with consciousness, honor and dignity.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dreams n chains

Completely agree. He paved the way for us to make advancements in real freedom. The ultimate freedom: To make the decision whether we want to live or die. That should be every individual's choice, IMO.

Rest in Peace...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

Death came naturally to the man who'd vowed he'd starve himself rather than endure submit to the state's authority behind bars.

".... it's a matter of I don't want to live as a slave and imprisonment is the ultimate slavery," he said in 1998.

Kevorkian was convicted of second-degree murder and drew a 10-25-year prison term at his 1999 sentencing. He was released in 2005 and discharged from parole in 2009.

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I am glad he died a freeman, he was way ahead of this global society.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

i honestly hope you are never stricken down with a terminal illness that will steal the last few years of your life from you, leaving you in constant unbearable pain with no hope of relief.

Why wish evil on someone that you don't know?

Why wish evil on anyone?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

Disease is not evil, it's nature. It can happen to anyone....

I think he had it right. I watched people die slowly of cancer. People should have a choice.
edit on Fri, 03 Jun 2011 09:35:35 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Thank you.
I love you too.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
This man definitely brought out the hypocrisy of the system. It's ok to murder millions in the name of god, oil, and "national security". But it's not ok to help someone end their own suffering.

edit on 6/3/2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
May he rest in peace, and hopefully had a peaceful departure as he dreamed of for his fellow humans.

I believe he had well intentions but sadly I think he was way before his time, and in his time people liked to vilify him.

He lived a long life and brought forth many questions,ethics and ideas/ideals that no matter how grim or disturbing they were for some needed to be looked at in the depth that he presented.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

*laughs* everyone is probably have the exact same thought, did he really die? Or was he assisted. *looks all shifty eyed*

I am a firm believer in assisted suicide. His beliefs put the agenda on the table for everyone.

I watched my grandfather die a long, slow, death from Parkinsons that took almost two years. 6 months before he died, as he lay in a state of barely able to move, he said he wished he were dead. So for another 6 months he was an agony, being able to do nothing but stare at a wall. He voluntarily served two tours in WWII, was a teacher, and a purchasing manager for PPG. He should not of been reduced to a state of painful helplessness.

Not to mention, that any savings they had, were drained by the nursing home, leaving my grandmother with very little to survive on.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
We are all assisted in the End!

The thing we must ask ourselves is can we be so lucky as to die surrounded by the ones we Love, assisted through Love?

So often I have heard, "momma don't leave me", as the person hangs on with no chance of recovery.

Selfishness throughout that Dr. Jack Kevorkian would have to be imprisoned for taking the right action and letting others let-go on their own ground! I will never understand how humane we really aren't!

I Love you Jack! See you soon!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join