It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

your opinion of the school system in your country/area/state/province

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jubes

Why dont you remove her from that school and find a different educational center?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nikkibee

The public schools here in central North Carolina are terrible. I teach a Sunday school class of 5th and 6th graders and most of them read so poorly, but they aren't embarrased or perhaps even aware of it, for it is the norm around here. Homeschooling is incredibly easy for my family. My 3 teenagers have never had any problems with bullying or any other peer related problems, which is a plus. They hang out plenty with various groups such as 4H, YMCA sports, dance, church, etc.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by annvan

I can familiarize with this. Albeit, my situation was more of an emotional hindrance on my education rather than being comfortable in the education systems methods.

I grew up in a small school and the only other option was a school where my parents would have to pay $3,000 for tuition just for me to go there.

But in the state where I live math is a big issue and the state receives a close to failing grade for as far back as I can remember.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

Originally posted by nikkibee
reply to post by ViperChili
[mors
she may not be able to. she may not have time due to a job or something similar although something definitely needs to be done if she cant read. i think a lot of the stuff they teach you is useless but reading is definitely most important

According to her intro post ( found here), she is a stay at home mom.

I am sure time isn't the issue in making sure her daughter learns an essential life skill.

That is part of the problem these days, people rely too much on others to raise/educate their children. People need to start taking responsibility. Educating your children is not a function of government, it is the responsibility of the parent and the parent alone.
edit on 5-5-2011 by ViperChili because: (no reason given)

YUP still a stay at home mom of four kids, three are special needs, all have different needs. It's not a matter of me NOT trying to teach her, it's a matter of how long she can sit and pay attention at home because after an over stimulating day at school teaching her at home is not as easy as it sounds. Sometimes she can sit other days I'm to busy pulling her off the other kids and trying to keep her bi-polar disorder under control! Pulling her out of the public education system and home schooling her is NOT an option, I need time during the day for appointments and phone calls oh and sleep because bi-polar kids DO NOT SLEEP ( more than about 5 hours TOPS a night) Instead I invest my time with her to teach her things like manners, land marks when we are out on walks, compassion for other people, symbols ( like the skull on a bottle means it poison etc) so that she can be safe. I have the entire Dolch word list printed and laminated, we make games out of it, she just does not get letters, but the kid can do algebra like it's second nature. SO in reality leaning a LITTLE on the school to teach her SOMETHING isn't such a long shot ... is it? There used to be a school in town that was specialized for kids like her until someone at the Board of Education had a brain fart and decided that main streaming kids like my daughter was a GOOD idea oh and then they did that whole " no kid left behind" thing...YUP some really great ideas there...
the thing is I understand my kids problems and I get why she has a hard time my boys they have problems too but they can read and write, so how is it that they can teach the other 2 these things but they don't have "time " to get some programs to help my daughter? Especially when I have done all the research and basically handed them everything they NEED. They went on and on about getting her tested and if I did this and this they would get her her own EA and all the programs she needs UH HUH she's going to High School in the fall I've jumped thru all the hoops and they did nothing.

Originally posted by nikkibee
reply to post by Jubes

i apolagize and retract my previous comment

Thanks, no worries I don't offend easily,

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I believe that in the public school system in my area there really is a dependency on the teachers and nothing else. The success of students in school depends on the teachers dedications in accordance with the students dedication. Here we are lucky to have great teachers but they will only be great if you are dedicated to learning and I believe rightfully so. Once you have passed the 9th grade or for arguments sake the 10th grade, your success in school depends soley on your dedication to learning which will in turn boost the teachers dedication to learning. Students who are bright will often be pushed by teachers to work harded if they are already not doing so.

However there are of course many rotten apples. In Australia however, parents and students complaints tend to be listened to and these rotten apples end up with positions that avoid direct student-teacher contact, force them into admistrative roles or force them to teach un-important subjects to lower levels.

I do have a long list of complaints about how Australian schools have misused government stimulus package cash in the building of inferior and overly expensive infastructure. As an individual who has noted the construction scene I can tell you that the money they spent on building multi-million dollar study complexes was poorly allocated and at often times wasted.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Where I live the schools are crowded with 15 elementary schools, 2 middle schools or jr. highs, and one high school for one school district. The children have less time to eat to fuel their bodies to keep there minds going with many schools not even having a cafeteria where the gyms are transformed for meal times and food brought in.

Since the "No Child Left Behind" program (my husband calls it the "diploma in crayon program", the kids learn so little. With kids ranging from 3 to 15 it was easy to see the shift in the quality of education. The teachers and the school district is put under far too much pressure and focus only on assessment testing and forget to teach the children how to do anything other than take a test.

In the teachers defense the thought of working with hundreds of children weekly that lack discipline, respect, and the drive to succeed would frustrate me. There are many children that want a good life for themselves and strive to reach that goal. The people that stand in their way are bogged down with the children that do not. It is true that one rotten apple taints that batch but someone will see the good in even the bad apples. I am sorry your school is that way OP and I do not see the schools getting much better in the future. Self educate in your spare time, learn the legal loop holes so something like that does not happen to you and rise and overcome it is the best way to stick it to the man or woman. Nothing like achievement to make a statement.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Goood news everyone!

I have discovered that the education system is designed to weed out the uncontrolable and to select the controlable turning them into a race of super controled humans taking over the world!

Im serious.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Overall here in asia we have good school systems... But education is also viewed as a lifelong process here and many continue to study and learn long after they graduate..

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join