It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

your opinion of the school system in your country/area/state/province

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CUJOCREEP

yep i think that's the general consensus in almost every school.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

one of my teachers told me a story about a teacher who actually taught them only the stuff for the test so when they went back next year none of them knew what to do so over 40% of them failed ya thats education at its finest.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nikkibee

Thanks Nikkibee, I am actually going to get her a tutor as I already contacted the school board who informed me to take it up with the school directly (which I had already done). It took me I kid you not almost an hour to figure out what the hell the instructions for her math homework meant, after alot of googling...and I'm far from an idiot, although I felt like a A+ idiot student.

My daughter is a very hard worker and wants to do well, wants to succeed, has dreams of being a doctor someday yet is increasingly frustrated at the difficulty she's having with math in school. And I've talked to other parents in the school, she is by far not the only one in that boat. The school system seems more interested with experimenting with new methods than actually using proven methods kids can grasp. The nation's lab rats are our children.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

nobody tries anymore with anything,at the end of the day its just a job,more people are more concerned about the latest garbage on TV and the latest garbage at any given store,thats our culture

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetstuff

well good to hear that however if you haven't already found one i recommend talking to the school and see if any teachers plan on doing tutoring because at least they will be "up" on the latest methods that they are using.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I am at the point I have no use for the school system here, it's garbage! My 14 yr old daughter CAN NOT READ because it's too much trouble for them to teach her how to read because she has some learning disabilities and they just don't have the time or the staff to be bothered to teach her anything. Excuse me but isn't this what we PAY them to do ...TEACH our children. They call me everyday about one kid or another cuz he did this or she did that like HONESTLY, deal with it punish them take away recess, but really I could care less if him and little Johnny got in an argument and called each other names, when I was in school we got lines for that. Call me if they have caused PHYSICAL damage to another student but please stop calling me and asking me to "come and get *** because she is just sitting in the office being good" here's a novel idea go up to her class and do something about the boys that have been picking on HER ALL YEAR.... maybe if they stop the bullying they can get her to stay in class. Too much focus on standardized testing not enough on EDUCATING our kids .....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikkibee

well good to hear that however if you haven't already found one i recommend talking to the school and see if any teachers plan on doing tutoring because at least they will be "up" on the latest methods that they are using.

I don't plan on using any of the teachers in the school but definitely some one up on the lastest methods they are using. As a number of people have pointed out, teachers really don't care anymore, once upon a time they became teachers out of a true desire to help young minds grow. Now most of the teachers within my area's schools (Canada) are 35 or under and seem to be more concerned with the great hours and summers off paid then actually teaching crap all to our kids.

My daughter's teacher informed me they 'expect' parents to take an active role in their child's education and they do not have the time to give one on one assistance to each student, that the parent needs to help at home. I informed her that if I understood her instructions and the math I'd be happy to help but when you have an equation with no instructions in a method you are unfamiliar with it's rather difficult to do. I also informed her that perhaps home schooling would be a better option if she expects me to do the job she either won't or is too lazy to do that my tax dollars pay for.

Yeah ok the last part I'm sure didn't make her 'like' me but I'll be damned if the school system that demands the method and way is gonna turn around and tell me it's my job to educate my child THEIR way. She's doing fabulous in all her other subjects, so it's even more of a piss off to me as a parent that they refuse and I mean absolutely refuse to give her any assistance with math. I asked her teacher more than once for clear instructions for me so I know how to help her, I still have yet to receive any a couple months later.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jubes
I am at the point I have no use for the school system here, it's garbage! My 14 yr old daughter CAN NOT READ because it's too much trouble for them to teach her how to read because she has some learning disabilities and they just don't have the time or the staff to be bothered to teach her anything. Excuse me but isn't this what we PAY them to do ...TEACH our children. They call me everyday about one kid or another cuz he did this or she did that like HONESTLY, deal with it punish them take away recess, but really I could care less if him and little Johnny got in an argument and called each other names, when I was in school we got lines for that. Call me if they have caused PHYSICAL damage to another student but please stop calling me and asking me to "come and get *** because she is just sitting in the office being good" here's a novel idea go up to her class and do something about the boys that have been picking on HER ALL YEAR.... maybe if they stop the bullying they can get her to stay in class. Too much focus on standardized testing not enough on EDUCATING our kids .....

If your daughter cannot read, why aren't YOU doing anything about it instead of blaming the crappy education system we have here?

Educating children is the responsibility of the PARENTS first and foremost.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

The schools here in Southern Ohio are not the best. We have a 9 year old son that is a Dwarf. Even though the teacher talked to the class, our son was still bullied, pushed, and knocked down several times, while our complaints were ignored by the staff. I should have known, the school, like many others, is a Corporation, and what are corporations designed to do? Make money. Anyway, we were talking to a neighbor who was homeschooling their daughter. We applied online, made a few phone calls, and soon a new computer, printer, and mike/headphones was delivered, and our son began classes in ECOT. I have to say, the quality of learning is far and above the Public School System, our 9 year old is learning things our 13 year old is just getting into! He is reading a lot more, and his ADD seems to have went away. When we took him out, the school personnel tried to talk us into leaving him there, promising changes would be made, but it was only about the money. The State pays them for each child, I don't know how much, but ECOT is paying him $20 each for two OAA tests.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jubes

im sorry to hear that about your daughter. have you thought about getting her a tutor to teach her to read. and i really hate how they blame the students i mean hello you have them for 6 hours 5 days a week can you not teach ANYTHING in that time.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

i think i would talk to the other parents and see if any of them are having a problom with that teacher if so HAVE HER FIRED.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili
[mors
she may not be able to. she may not have time due to a job or something similar although something definitely needs to be done if she cant read. i think a lot of the stuff they teach you is useless but reading is definitely most important

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jubes

You could move to Kalifornia, out here we would hold the whole 31 kids back for the benefit of 1 student.
It is happening right now.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikkibee
[mors
she may not be able to. she may not have time due to a job or something similar although something definitely needs to be done if she cant read. i think a lot of the stuff they teach you is useless but reading is definitely most important

According to her intro post ( found here), she is a stay at home mom.

I am sure time isn't the issue in making sure her daughter learns an essential life skill.

That is part of the problem these days, people rely too much on others to raise/educate their children. People need to start taking responsibility. Educating your children is not a function of government, it is the responsibility of the parent and the parent alone.
edit on 5-5-2011 by ViperChili because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The person that mentioned he was a janitor is correct, along with many others in this thread.

Both public schools and colleges seem to be suffering in my area due to "Standardization" and "Lack of emphasis." The schools are locked into a system that "must" be taught to the children, even if the curriculum is biased or is very lackluster in information or use.

The teachers basically focus their curriculum around the standardized testing, leaving no room for any other information but what's on the test. This is because the testing is what brings in funding for the school. It's all about the money.

I also ask, what use are math classes past the 5th grade? Everything you learn to that point is more than enough for what the average person uses everyday. Any math past the 5th grade I feel should be voluntary and not required.

What the state feels we need to learn is a bunch of bullcrap and isn't helping anyone.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

well then there's no excuse. but still they should have taught her. but she still should have her own daughter

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xen0m0rpH

i have got to agree with that math comment there is NO use for almost all of that math how many of you on a daily basis use more than adding, subtracting, multiplication and division probably not many

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

If your daughter cannot read, why aren't YOU doing anything about it instead of blaming the crappy education system we have here?

Educating children is the responsibility of the PARENTS first and foremost.

I have been teaching her, sadly it's really hard to teach her the word Mom when she sees WOw.... and the lack of programs in the town i live in does not help. I've gotten her to recognize a few words and mostly thru memorizing them. Don't think I haven't tried to get her some help outside school because I have. I have even printed things off the internet about her learning disabilities and her other problems and some work sheets and given the teachers website to print more work sheets, they tell me oh we can't do that we have to use the programs we have. Those programs DO NOT WORK, for the simple reason that she is dyslexic and it was the school physc that told me that after doing a psycho-educational evaluation on her. All the information is in her file and it's been recommended that they use certain programs for her but they refuse to use the programs that have been recommended by their own employees because "OH we can't do that, we have to use the programs we have" They have to teach them whats on the stupid standardized tests and since my kid is excused form those tests because of her LD's thy just don't have "time" to deal with her.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
My opinion of the school system in America hasn't changed for decades.

The tutorial method was developed
by the old aristocracy
for a ratio of about 5 kids to one tutor.

The modern education system
starting with kindergarten
was developed by the Germans
and was inspired by the Native American Indian tribal system.

Grafting a tutorial method on top of a tribal system is doomed.

If the teachers were more like a referee
and allowed to empower the students to
choose their own teachers from among themselves,
and to test themselves, we might actually get somewhere.

David Grouchy

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jubes

i apolagize and retract my previous comment

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join