It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

your opinion of the school system in your country/area/state/province

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
what is the opinion of the school system where you live? in my area is like a prison. you are in essence not allowed to think for your self. for example one of my friends had to do an art project. she had to create an ad about anything so she created a poster about non-conformity. so she handed it and got a 0 a detention and had to speak with the principal. the reason..........it made the teacher uncomfortable. yep that's it she got a 0 on a huge project because it made the teacher uncomfortable......anyway this is turning into a rant. so what is your opinion on your school system.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nikkibee

DOG SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh it, havent been in school in over a decade but im always seeing kids out during school hours, go figure,education is held somewhere between drinking bleach and chewing twigs

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think the school system here isn't even actually trying to help students learn but to obey rules. My youngest daughter has had some difficulties with math and has received no help on the principles she has difficulty with, even after meetings with the teacher and principal of the school, the math is completely ass backwards from how I was taught so when I try to assist her she informs me she will get in trouble because they have to do it the 'school's way'....she's in grade five and doing algebra, intensive division using new methods with take twice as freaking long then my way which still gives the right answer! Arrggh, I've about had it as a parent with the school system at large.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I am unfortunately in Albuquerque, NM where I asked a high school teacher which school is best to send my kid.
They told me to home school them in this back water state and city they are ranked 50 out of 50.
Public schools back home in NJ where I grew are better then private schools out here.

For those of you wanting to move to this city and state - stay away, faaaaaaaaaaaaaar away!
I can't wait to get back to civilization.
edit on 5/5/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

link   
My small farm town is basically divided in two portions. The city and the township. Over the past few years, the city part has seen an influx of hispanic immigrants. From what the local paper, and neighbors say, the influx has resulted in worsening school conditions and more crime. Hell when I moved here last year, the city had its first murder in years. 2 hispanics shooting another hispanic over a drug deal.

Fortunately, the township part (where I live) has a separate high school, and seems to be doing outstanding. The township high school actually teaches useful classes in agriculture, greenhouses, and basic economics.

Take that for what you will.
edit on 5-5-2011 by ViperChili because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by nikkibee
what is the opinion of the school system where you live? in my area is like a prison. you are in essence not allowed to think for your self. for example one of my friends had to do an art project. she had to create an ad about anything so she created a poster about non-conformity. so she handed it and got a 0 a detention and had to speak with the principal. the reason..........it made the teacher uncomfortable. yep that's it she got a 0 on a huge project because it made the teacher uncomfortable......anyway this is turning into a rant. so what is your opinion on your school system.

All it is is busy work;
Standardized tests
And AP/IB exams if you're enrolled in those courses
and typical HS drama.

Little to no education.

link   
reply to post by sweetstuff

my ex girl friends 8 year old son spewed the words "i dont wanna be smart i wanna be cool" WOWEEEE were screwed

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
When I was in high school it was all drugs and fist fights.

Now as an adult I notice most of the parents around here home school.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
One word CRAP, following with several other words, eternally horrible and parasitically expensive piles of garbage. Would you like me to expand on that?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetstuff

thank you that brings me to another point. apparently it is now unacceptable to find an easier, faster, more efficient way to find the answer. we have to do it their way, any other way is unacceptable. and im sorry to hear about your daughter. could you try to talk to the school board or get a tutor.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

i would like it if you would but now i get the feeling that was a rhetorical question either way i completely agree

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Before i even read your OP i will say, then i will read and see if we match.
I worked for my local school system recently so i have "inside info/propaganda/ideas".
The district is flat broke, we lay off teachers, aides, janitors, maintenance, Etc.
Sports programs are failing/ being cut.
Libraries are being shut down for half days or just a window of time to get in.
Classes are getting bigger, much bigger in some areas...."Ghettos" cough cough.
All of this reflects directly on the children who should be learning but instead see a person who should be a mentor, frustrated because of the shool/district politics.
And teachers unions are taking flack.
All the while school and district admins pay is grosely huge and still growing.
The only way to fix this In my opinion is to abolish the districts and make smaller of the situation.
Maybe a bunch of schools in a union rather than a district, each school independant of the others.
Some schools will fail but the vacuum will be filled by successful ones.
And no more high cost district admins either.
Now to read the OP

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CUJOCREEP

i think the reason a lot of people are out is that i don't even think teachers try anymore. they seem to do the bare minimum and they are so unenthusiastic it just transfers onto the students but that might just be my school

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Yet those same teachers sure are enthusiastic when it comes to demanding more of the taxpayers money.

Unions are part of the problem.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

yes it i think they should teach stuff that would be useful in real life even if it was just an elective

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

yes the unions there are many teachers that are just not good and have no place being teachers but because of a union they cant be fired easily at all and that's a quote from my English teacher. even they know its all messed up.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

In my opinion if there is an art project, there is no basis for a 0.
Art is the persona perspective, anyone who does not agree with this statement simply has a different perspective than me.
But i will say if art is perspective and you see someones art as rubbish to all, you truly do not know art.
Asimple pencil dot on a large canvas can be art if you understand what the artist has to say about said art.
maybe they are trying to show how they feel in the world, an insignificant dot on a huge screen of life.
This art project would take no time at all, but can say alot.
Hope it helps.
Oh yeah, and the teacher needs to be fired for being ignorant.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

lol see my post right above yours

link   

No problem, in my area teachers who actually do teach something get canned for not teaching to what used to be called the TAKS test now the STAR test. IMO teaching to a standardized test instead of allowing them to teach something that will be useful is a waste of time. Not to mention in many schools they are getting rid of Art, home economics, and drama courses, as well as shop classes. Again IMO this is insanely inept, not everyone does athletics and like it or not, not everyone will go to college. Teach them something useful not standard, in many places they are even getting rid of trips even for educational purposes. In my area we are smack dab in the middle of the Comencheria, ancestral range of the Comanche, wouldn't it be great when you are telling these kids of the history of the "Indian wars" in textbooks to actually take them to some of the sites you are talking about? But nope not on the standardized test get rid of it. That is why I call it parasitic and CRAPTASTIC. Good teacher are pushed out by those that will not try and only teach to the test, and kids get used to that and give up on trying to learn anything because they lose interest. Don't blame them so do I regarding standardized BS.

link   

I'm in the UK and its no better here, standardized dumbed down rubbish ! No allowance for differences or any creativity. Printed sheets that don't inspire pupils to want to learn. Poorly paid staff who are weighed down with red tape and don't have the energy or freedom ( due to National Curriculum) to really connect with the kids.
Its a total sham and in my opinion designed to produce the type of 'drones' that don't ask questions, problem solve or use any initiative at all.
I took my son out of state school years ago because he was 'underachieving', they said he was 6 months behind in his reading. The private school I sent him to assessed him and he was 3 years ahead !
He is now 12 and attends an Internet School which to date is working fine and much cheaper than the private schools in the UK , many of which mirror the state system.
Just my pennyworth, but there it is !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join