It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got my letter for the Selective Service today. What should i do?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Agree -
reminds me of

f that I'm not going to sign anything cause They shouldn't control me
yet I will bitch about everything under the sun

A free nation is not free unless the people make it free.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I'd sign my name and then print in capitals "ALL RIGHTS RESERVED".

You might also write A.R.R. after your signature if you don't want to be so bold about it.
You might be asked eventually what A.R.R. means. All you have to say is "All Rights Reserved."
You might be asked "What do you mean by that?"
You might say "Exactly what it says - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. I am reserving all my rights with this signature."

edit on 4/29/2011 by SayonaraJupiter because: edit to add content

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I am absolutely in awe of this.

Maybe it's because I am Australian but I cannot believe this is seriously a process employed in the U.S. Until I read this thread I had honestly never even heard of this before. For a country that prides itself on such freedoms, I am absolutely flawed that this is honestly common practice.

Wow....just Wow
edit on 29-4-2011 by Ethyrial Symphony because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

As an Australian I don't know a lot about this, but I suppose you could sign it, and be a conscientious objector if you get drafted. They probably won't be pleased, and in the height of war they could imprison you as they've imprisoned others in the past, but in my opinion it's better than being a cog in the war machine.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Be a man. Sign it. I had to. Every single other American male over the age of 18 had to also. In addition to being ineligible for federal government jobs, federal grants, loans..etc, most states have passed laws that require registration for STATE gobs,loans...etc, etc. In addition, some states wont even give you a drivers license unless you have registered.

You don't have to agree with the federal government. You don't have to agree with your state government. But you know what? Whether you choose to believe 9/11 was carried out by the Illuminati, the Israelis, the US government, or simply by a bunch of pissed of Arabs, the fact of the matter is people DO hate America. And someone needs to protect Americans.

Some people think they can do it themselves. You try holding off an invading army with a 9mm and an AR-15. You don't have to like the wars in Iraq, or Afghanistan right now. Feel free even to protest those wars if you want. Do you know why you can? Because someone before you took up arms for this country that allows you the right to protest.

You can be a man and still be scared to go to war. There would be something wrong with you if you weren't. But the fact of the matter is, if you don't sign that card, you have NO right to question anything anyone in power does in the country.

The probably won't be a draft anytime soon. I don't care what anyone says, unless we are physically invaded there probably is no need for a draft. Some countries require their youth to actually serve for a year or 2. Or more in some cases. All ours is asking you to do is sign a card.

By the way, the Selective Service doesn't recognize conscientious objections when registering. Only when there is a draft. And being a little
doesn't count. Really, about the only legal way there is to avoid registering, is to go and have your penis cut off.

edit on 29-4-2011 by webpirate because: spelling

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dude69
I

But trust me on this...the military is the most retarded mindkilling place you'll ever find yourself in. Don't join.

Corporate America™ is the same retarded mindkilling place. Mainstream Religion™ is the same retarded mindkilling place.

Either you are working for the Matrix or you are not. very simple indeed. They all hate it when you rage against the machine. But you miss out on the opportunity to gain valuable experience points by following the herd. Freedom is a bitch. Enjoy that.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Just sign up. It's not bad. The chance of a draft is so slim its not even funny. Everyone has to do it and its not a big deal. And don't go and jump the gun so fast and start saying you're the "perfect candidate". There are convicted felons in the military today, so don't get hung up on "they only want the best".

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
A couple posts seem confused...

The selective service papers do not send you to basic training. It is not enlistment. It's a notice that you are becoming eligible for a draft, if there should be one.

The US standing military forces are all volunteer. While I do think one is required to sign the documents, refusing to sign isn't going to do squat for you... Obviously they already know you are of age.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Fill it out and return it like the men that did it before you and the ones that will do it long after you are gone. Seriously though don't mess around you will not like the repercussion for not returning it correctly.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx
A couple posts seem confused...

The selective service papers do not send you to basic training. It is not enlistment. It's a notice that you are becoming eligible for a draft, if there should be one.

The US standing military forces are all volunteer. While I do think one is required to sign the documents, refusing to sign isn't going to do squat for you... Obviously they already know you are of age.

It is a signed confession that you are a male who has attained the age of 18 years in the United States.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
All of you belittling those who refused to sign, and the OP for not wanting to sign, what is wrong with you? Is the only damned thing in life that makes you a man doing as you're demanded? Where is your sense of self respect, and respect of others? He is well within his human rights to not want to sign himself up for what is essentially being on hold for a draft, no matter how slim the odds of one are. Those who do not wish to be registered with the SSS are neither bigger nor smaller men than you are, and vice versa. Everyone deserves the freedom to choose whether or not they want to be intertwined with the military machine, draft included.

My Army Veteran spouse summed it up as such:
"Hey, you, poor man! You need help seeing food makes it to your family's table? We'll help! But only if you allow us to drag you in to war if we deem it so."

That is not an honorable military machine. No one should have to be coerced in to SS registration in order to not starve to death. Likewise, no man should be forced to decide whether to remain in the poorhouse permanently at 18, or have help with college with strings attached. The interest rate is string enough, don't demand their potential life for a damned college loan. Law or not, it is effed, and does not have a place in modern society.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

thanks for that link - not against you -

Individuals who are born female and have a sex change are not required to register. U.S. citizens or immigrants who are born male and have a sex change are still required to register. In the event of a resumption of the draft, males who have had a sex change can file a claim for an exemption from military service if they receive an order to report for examination or induction.

OK really I didn't know that
and to think they made a rule about that

what the heck make both or quad sexes sign up

doesn't matter if your female /male or a he-she, or male into female or female into male
or both or neither and some how survived with out going to the bathroom

[ oh look some sniper is shooting at us , Do I really care what sex you are protecting my back? ]

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
do you have brothers op? they will be given the same paper to sign... do what you want with the paper but not signing it just might come back to bite... i think the bomb will come before a draft in an event where a draft was needed.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah
All of you belittling those who refused to sign, and the OP for not wanting to sign, what is wrong with you? Is the only damned thing in life that makes you a man doing as you're demanded? Where is your sense of self respect, and respect of others? He is well within his human rights to not want to sign himself up for what is essentially being on hold for a draft, no matter how slim the odds of one are. Those who do not wish to be registered with the SSS are neither bigger nor smaller men than you are, and vice versa. Everyone deserves the freedom to choose whether or not they want to be intertwined with the military machine, draft included.

My Army Veteran spouse summed it up as such:
"Hey, you, poor man! You need help seeing food makes it to your family's table? We'll help! But only if you allow us to drag you in to war if we deem it so."

That is not an honorable military machine. No one should have to be coerced in to SS registration in order to not starve to death. Likewise, no man should be forced to decide whether to remain in the poorhouse permanently at 18, or have help with college with strings attached. The interest rate is string enough, don't demand their potential life for a damned college loan. Law or not, it is effed, and does not have a place in modern society.

Yes you are obviously a girliey man. Congratulations girliey man.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
How about you just stand up and be a man and sign it.

If not, you'll be ducking out of life's 'hassles' forever.

I mean come on - You want the benefits without paying your dues? What a cop out.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Grow up.

(/drill Sargent lecture)

peace

He's not a man because he doesn't want to submit to the possibility that he may have to kill someone?
I don't see what he has to be ashamed of.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

Feel free even to protest those wars if you want. Do you know why you can? Because someone before you took up arms for this country that allows you the right to protest.

Yes, in "free speech zones" down a few blocks away from sight.
I don't know that fighting in the middle east to secure oil is providing protection for the first amendment either.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Women aren't required to sign up because they're deemed deficient by the state, then? An implicit insult, it would seem

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
I'm 17 and turning 18 in a week. Yesterday in the mail, i got a friendly letter in the mail from the Selective Service saying "it's time to register". I'm trying to decide what to do. I need to register to get Financial Aid (which we were counting on), as well as have any hope for a stable government job in the future.

US always reminds me of this movie:

In the distant future high school kids are encouraged to become citizens by joining the military.

-imdb

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Well if it's called 'Selective Service' just select No

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Just sign it.

I did and no one came for me to sign up for boot camp.

so relax.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join