It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got my letter for the Selective Service today. What should i do?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I didn't sign up when I turned 18... I'm 19 now and nothing's came from it. I simply ripped it up and threw it away.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
You should probably go ahead and sign the notice and send it in, but before you do, you should look up some information as to HOW to sign and send it in, if you are planning on claiming the 'conscientious objector' status. You should do some specific things that will back up your claim as well. Get it on record, and the sooner you start, the better. See the following for advice. How do I Prove I'm a CO

Here are some other helpful links with some information for you.

How To Stay Out of the Military
Dodge the Draft? Refuse to Volunteer
The Right to Refuse to 'Volunteer' When Called For the Coming Draft

For everyone stating that a draft will never happen again, there are people in our government trying very hard to make it happen, right now! I wouldn't be surprised to see this within the next year or so.......and I'm surprised so many don't think it's a possibility.

Our government, and Israel has been trying to get a war with Iran started for the last few years, remember? Where are the soldiers for THAT going to come from, if there isn't another draft?

Our government managed to get us into a couple of wars 10 years ago, and because of the circumstances, there was no need for a draft at that time. Now, after 10 years of war on two fronts, (and now Libya) rushed into under questionable circumstances, I don't think the volunteer level would be so good this time around.

But that's ok.....they have a plan for that.

Rangel Introduces Universal National Service Act

Congressman Charles Rangel on Thursday introduced the Universal National Service Act, commonly referred to as the draft bill, ahead of the 8th anniversary of the invasion of Iraq on Saturday, March 19, 2011. The Congressman, a Korean War Veteran, has introduced similar legislation in the past that addresses not only the need for a more equitable military draft, but also establishes a universal requirement for National Service.

Right now Charlie Rangel is calling it a Universal National Service Act, but this is the third or fourth time he has proposed this. In 2003 and again in 2006, I believe he also proposed similar bills. I think those other bills actually called it a draft, though. And he is not the only one in our government in recent years to propose this idea, either.

I told all the young men that I know NOT to enlist, in the run up to the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. I wasn't sure about Afghanistan, but I was pretty sure that there were no WMD in Iraq, and that was even before I knew everything that I now know about it. I did not support either war, because we don't have the right to attack other countries preemptively. Defending our own soil against foreign attack is a little different.

Not wanting to kill people in wars of aggression doesn't make a person any less of a man, or a coward....it makes you SMART!

Mossme, don't let anyone make you feel bad or unpatriotic for not wanting to fight in wars that do nothing but DESTROY EVERYTHING for the benefit of the EVILS.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoSMiC_ChAoS
I didn't sign up when I turned 18... I'm 19 now and nothing's came from it. I simply ripped it up and threw it away.

Exactly what everyone should do.
Good job little brother.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Got the same letter a few months before I turned 18 as well. Signed it, sent it in. I felt it was my duty. Im now 26, with 6 years of active service in the U.S. Army and plan on staying in as long as they let me. Did the Army come looking for me? No. I found the Army.

Im not asking you to join. Heck, I really could care less if you did. You see, this job is not for everyone. Yes, by joining up you will make sacrifices. Myself, and many of my brothers and sisters in arms take pride in this fact. We make sacrifices so others don't have to.

It is your life my friend. Make your own decisions. Just attempt to make the right one.

BrainRanger

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bandito
So OP , you want everything you can get out of the system from financial aid for education to a cush government job and maybe like some , unemployment insurance , welfare if it doesn't work out , bleed the country for your own benefit but never give anything back .You know what , send them a registered letter and tell them to stick the cush government job , the financial aid , unemployment insurance and welfare where the sun doesn't shine because you're opting out and won't sign your selective service registration to prove it .

Most financial aid these days is in the form of student loans that are paid back. Even if it were not, we pay into the student loan funds when we pay taxes. So, we are are OWED the money. The OP never said he wanted a government job, and probably does not. Unemployment insurance is something workers pay for, and therefore the government owes them the money. The OP is forced to pay for welfare... so again he is OWED the money if he has paid in more than taken out. Your points would all be valid if it was optional to pay for welfare, student aid, etc.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainranger

You see, this job is not for everyone.

You got that right.
It is not for those who held onto the ability to think for themselves,
and those who are able to think with their hearts, and not only their minds.

Yes, by joining up you will make sacrifices.

BrainRanger

Right again.
You will have to sacrifice your humanity, your soul, and all you know in your heart to be "right".
Amongst other things.

Do whatever you want..
but don't attempt to glorify this BS, or make it out to be some kind of "manly" or "brave" thing.
It is not an obligation, either. .

edit on 28-4-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Sign it.

You have every right to disagree with your government. Protest, vote, sspeak freely..

However there are aspects of citizenship which are duties we all must undertake.

Among those duties are paying taxes and defense.

You don't have to agree with the tax rate or agree with foreign policy. Argue against war and taxes, that's your right. It is, however, your duty to abide these things according to the will of the majority, for the security of the nation at large.

Don't worry too much, imposing a draft to fight unpopular foreign wars would be the end of this government.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Dood ... sign it & be done with it ...

I registered on my 18th birthday & now I'm almost 40

Uncle Sam never called me

go figure ....

There are enough destitute community's throughout the USA.

& that tends to be where the Recruiters set up shop.

You see when you grow up poor with No Future and Few options ..... the military looks pretty good, especially when they promise you money for school/ training for a Trade...

Therefore you will have No shortage in Volunteers

I'm Not gonna tell you a Draft won't happen anytime soon.... like other Members

that would be a little to preemptive as the USA is waging war in 3 different theaters last i checked...

enjoy your youth & your Zoloft

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

You are needing it for financial aid, then you are undraftable as long as you are attending college, post college if there was to be a draft you are then eligible to be an officer, so you're safe while in school and afterwards you can land a safer position.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Don't do it. War is manufactured for profits and you are correct you are just pawn if you participate which will be under the guise of "fighting for freedom".

Also get off the Zoloft before that # #s you up permanently. Go see a naturopath to get to the root problem of your anxiety instead of masking it with toxic drugs.

Hope this helps.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose

Originally posted by brainranger

You see, this job is not for everyone.

You got that right.
It is not for those who held onto the ability to think for themselves,
and those who are able to think with their hearts, and not only their minds.

Yes, by joining up you will make sacrifices.

BrainRanger

Right again.
You will have to sacrifice your humanity, your soul, and all you know in your heart to be "right".
Amongst other things.

Do whatever you want..
but don't attempt to glorify this BS, or make it out to be some kind of "manly" or "brave" thing.
It is not an obligation, either. .

edit on 28-4-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

Calm down there turbo.

Sacrifice my humanity, my soul, and all that I know to be right? Can't say that I have ever done that while serving.

I am not going to try and argue with you or attempt to change your views on anything period.

Have you ever served? Do you know what goes on inside a military unit? Let me guess, you are a self-proclaimed expert on this right? I ask because you just seem to have so much knowledge on the subject of the military.

It was good for a laugh. That's about it. Angry little troll

Sounds to me like you have a great hatred for the military. Lose a girlfriend to a GI?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
I'm 17 and turning 18 in a week. Yesterday in the mail, i got a friendly letter in the mail from the Selective Service saying "it's time to register". I'm trying to decide what to do. I need to register to get Financial Aid (which we were counting on), as well as have any hope for a stable government job in the future.

I just DO NOT want to fight a war. It's not that i'm afraid of it, i just see myself and others as more than cannon fodder and would rather not fight a pointless war so the rich can stay rich. With the way the world is going, i wouldn't be surprised if the draft is reinstated within the next couple years. And i would be the perfect candidate. I'm 5'9", 135lbs and athletic (run distance in track).

What i'm hoping is that even if the draft is reinstated, i could have an exemption. I take Zoloft for anxiety and i know it's an exemption, at least for the voluntary draft.
edit on 28-4-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

The State is your god plebe.

Shut up and do as you are told.

If that means dying in a third world #hole, so be it.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by cushycrux

Originally posted by mossme89
I'm 17 and turning 18 in a week. Yesterday in the mail, i got a friendly letter in the mail from the Selective Service saying "it's time to register". I'm trying to decide what to do. I need to register to get Financial Aid (which we were counting on), as well as have any hope for a stable government job in the future.

I just DO NOT want to fight a war. It's not that i'm afraid of it, i just see myself and others as more than cannon foder and would rather not fight a pointless war so the rich can stay rich. With the way the world is going, i wouldn't be surprised if the draft is reinstated within the next couple years. And i would be the perfect candidate. I'm 5'9", 135lbs and athletic (run distance in track).

What i'm hoping is that even if the draft is reinstated, i could have an exemption. I take Zoloft for anxiety and i know it's an exemption, at least for the voluntary draft.

One moment!!
America forces you to register for military to be able to drive a car and go to the university?!?!!!!?

edit on 28-4-2011 by cushycrux because: (no reason given)

Same reaction for me. This is so mad and unbelievable seen from France.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Sign up. You really have little "to no" being forced into the military. I did join the military and am grateful for the benefits I have received.
Not all military jobs put you on the front line. There are plenty of administrative and supply jobs that won't put you in harms way.
I did nukes. No way was I going to the front line.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I would sign up and in the event of a draft, which is unlikely, you can find a loophole out of it then. Because if you don't sign up it could affect things in your future. I see some people saying they ignored it and nothing happened and stuff like that...well when I ignored it they continued sending stuff and harrassing me and threatened me with 5 years in prison and a $200,000 fine so I ended up sending it back in. It really is mandatory by law, so whether they were serious or not when threatening me...they still could arrest you at any time for failing to register. I just turned 26 on Monday so i'm officially out of the lottery now (they only draft 18-25). Although they could change that at any time if they want. Anyway, i would recommend registering.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Don't forget that this man is one of the reasons you are able to come on ATS, the web for that matter and enjoy all of your freedoms which it appears you take for granted. He is just stating his view, don't go belittling people who decide to answer the call of duty (in real life not via a console game) or think that he's pushing an agenda.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
OP -
Sign it,

I tried joining the military before I was 18
and was told no unless I had parents sign
grades and blah blah.

At 18 I signed cause it was "my duty"
I also went back to the recruiter to join up
I was not accepted for medicals issues
I was Very disappointed.
Just cause I have arthritis does not mean I
can't help in some way.

I still tried joining later on in life
I still wanted to do my part
I was still rejected
I keep trying.
I had just received a letter
stating that I'm to old now for Army, Navy, Air Force , Marines
but I can join the coast guard as an "extra" but I would need 4 years
in service. ( week end guard type) and no Nat Guard , also to old

I dislike being over 35 grr.

If there was a draft, they wouldn't take me I'm to old
but If You got a letter
I would try to "swap" with ya

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Don't worry there are still enough of us who will fight.I can't think of anything worse than having a person who can't handle death being stuck in a war,
That isn't meant as an insult and I suffer no insanity(other than PTSD).I was just a born warrior,I'm supposed to take your place on the battlefield and again there are millions of us.
I don't think there will draft without a world war so go ahead and sign up ,go to school and do well where I can't

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

the days of wars being "worth fighting" are long gone. if you're holding out for a war worth fighting - you'll be waiting a long. long. time.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
So I get a kick out of the people advising this young man to NOT sign as is legally required, but then to come up with some way to 'cheat the system' in order to still get the benefits of financial aid, etc.

This is one of the things wrong with this country. This sense of entitlement. Like it's owed to you or something to pay your way through college. Guess who's really paying that bill. Me....and all the other working people in this country.

I am a far cry from a government suporter. I think our government is royally screwed up right now and we are in a downward spiral...this kind of attitude is only going to add to it. I do NOT believe in the draft, I do not believe in being forced to do anything. Just don't expect something for nothing simply because you are an 'American'. I think it is high time we go back to the days when you had to earn that title.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join