It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got my letter for the Selective Service today. What should i do?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Take the form, turn it sideways, use a black felt-tipped pen to write:

GO F%$# YOURSELVES

That should solve it.
edit on 29-4-2011 by D377MC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I signed up for selective service when I turned 18 because I was going into college. The only way I can get grants from the government to pay for my schooling is if I signed up for selective service. I'm not too worried right now though, as long as I'm enrolled in school I can't be drafted into the military. But what's gonna happen when I'm out and this country is problaly still bogged down in some war somehwere. #ing assholes.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
If you cannot think for YOURSELF then you are perfect for them.

edit on 29-4-2011 by moogins because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I would sign it for my Country and the good people in it, family, friends. Even if there is a draft it don't mean your going to battle it takes a lot of supply's to keep a war going and that means lots of people delivering the supply's. If a draft opens up some thing big is going down so I'm not really sure you would be much safer if not in the Military. Good luck, I hope the best for you and yours.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

Before I turned 18, I enlisted. The draft was going big time then, and I figured I would be picked. I had no reason to get out of it. No school, unmarried (back then marriage was a deferment for a while), healthy, available. I joined the Air Force. I did go to Nam, but I was a radio repairman, so I was taken pretty good care of even though I was in a "combat" zone. Your job can make a difference. I got out after my enlistment was up. Stayed out for 13 years and then enlisted in the USAF Reserve and later transfered to the Texas Air National Guard. They crossed trained me into xray. Now consider. The xray dept at most mobile hospitals is really nice. Air conditioned, expensive, first class equipment. But I never got to experience that. At the advent of Desert Storm my Guard unit was called to active duty. I went "all the way" to Wilford Hall Hospital here in San Antonio. I retired in '98. It was a good ride. I would tell this young man to go ahead and register. Even if the draft is reinstated, he would still have choices!
BJ
edit on 29-4-2011 by bjrichardson because: spelling

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
You are unlikely to ever be drafted. Wars are fought with planes and missiles now, not manpower - not like it used to be, when a draft was needed.

Why so much whining though? Some of you really ought to move to another "free" country, if the "lack" of freedoms in this one are so tragically missing. Move to Switzerland! Wait.. mandatory service is required there, you wouldn't like that. How about Brazil! Or maybe Denmark or Mexico or Taiwan. Wait.. it's mandatory THERE too.

Most countries that don't force service, have a fully volunteer military, with conscription only in a special crisis situation. That's our country. Don't like it.. move out. The # of people on this site that support and PRAISE people like Saddam, Bin Laden, Putin, Gaddafi, and other terrorists / dictators is mind boggling. Nothing but negative hate towards our own country - nothing but praise for anyone who opposes us. MOVE if you don't like it.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
wow Im sorry but this thread makes me sick, Zoloft is your crutch op??, you really don't need it, well what about the brave soldiers, marines, all the branches in the military, my brothers, my husband who did their selective service, and served in the service, AWW you don't want to go you poor little baby but you want help for school?, wow WOW, Grow some balls and do what men do, if not for yourself for your country, and fellow brothers who are in.

Ugh What is happening to Men these days, are there any???
edit on 29-4-2011 by hapablab because: Yeah no reason

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab
wow Im sorry but this thread makes me sick, Zoloft is your crutch op??, you really don't need it, well what about the brave soldiers, marines, all the branches in the military, my brothers, my husband who did their selective service, and served in the service, AWW you don't want to go you poor little baby but you want help for school?, wow WOW, Grow some balls and do what men do, if not for yourself for your country, and fellow brothers who are in.

No, with all the chemtrailing they are all turning into Hermaphrodites.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by moogins

I wouldn't be surprised, man this thread is sad, he actually said he is using zoloft as a crutch!!, OMG and not ashamed of that?, ugh, OP please toughen up, I know ya got it in you.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

You are making fun of him?

You know, the laws have been changed in almost all of the developed World and in the case of a draft women are eligible.

How's that grab ya? Selective service one day will be extended to young women. So, while you are pissing at him for him thinking it over, you might want to consider if your words would be so rash and unkind were it YOU.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
I'm 17 and turning 18 in a week. Yesterday in the mail, i got a friendly letter in the mail from the Selective Service saying "it's time to register". I'm trying to decide what to do. I need to register to get Financial Aid (which we were counting on), as well as have any hope for a stable government job in the future.

I just DO NOT want to fight a war. It's not that i'm afraid of it, i just see myself and others as more than cannon fodder and would rather not fight a pointless war so the rich can stay rich. With the way the world is going, i wouldn't be surprised if the draft is reinstated within the next couple years. And i would be the perfect candidate. I'm 5'9", 135lbs and athletic (run distance in track).

What i'm hoping is that even if the draft is reinstated, i could have an exemption. I take Zoloft for anxiety and i know it's an exemption, at least for the voluntary draft.
edit on 28-4-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

Unfortunately, in order to get certain things like student loans (maybe even drivers license, but I'm not sure about that one for all states), you have to be registered. Just remember this: in the military, you are not "fighting for freedom" or our country or any other idealistic reason. That hasn't happened since 1783. You would be fighting, as you correctly stated, for the rich, the powerful and those who don't care about the rest of us. Only you can decide what to do at that point.
edit on 29-4-2011 by Visiting ESB because: spelling

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab

Your husband, as are all the rest, are nothing but fodder. That gives him "balls"?
edit on 29-4-2011 by Visiting ESB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Fill it out and check the epilepsy box.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
So sad to see women demand equality in some sectors, but not across the board.
Why should young women get to dream of "a room of one's own", while young men get the nightmare of a "body bag of one's own"?

If men do not stand up for equality for their gender they will end up an under-class, and arrogant career women will prosper while they become absent in their careers.
Either there is equality, or the male gender is at a distinct disadvantage.
Is that that what people want for their male-children?

In SA we were called to the school-hall and we had to register for the military at age 16.
Men went through hell in the Angolan War.
They had to go to the army for two years, and then a camp every year until they were 57.

Luckily that stopped after 1994.
But, what upsets me is that white women advanced their careers, or they sat by the pool and bossed the black maid around.

Now they get Affirmative Action.
For what?
White women benefited from war and apartheid, and only a few volunteered to do anything.

Women benefit for what men have to do.

If men sign up for service; then so must women.
I'm not saying the service must be the same in every way.
But good heavens, it is so unfair.

Either men allow equality and expect equality, or they are cutting off their balls and handing sole power to women.
Perhaps: in case of war men will fight if all women stay pregnant to breed more soldiers, even if artificial insemination is required.

This is no longer apartheid - equality goes both ways.
A male makes a sacrifice with his body/a female makes a sacrifice with her body.
Make it equal (perhaps like Israel) or scrap the crap!
Either that, or men should get all their old pre-feminist privileges back, and women should stick to the kitchen!

It's a competitive world out there, and even a short period of experience mixed with AA laws can seriously discriminate against men in a draft situation.
One must hate the boy-children in a culture to do this to them.

Not only that, but it's encouraging a "sick" and willfully dishonest populace.
edit on 29-4-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Unless you're a racial minority and/or female, the chances of you getting a government job are almost nil, unless you know, snow or blow somebody high in the government.

If your goals are what you stated, the best way to achieve them would be to join the service and take the student loans as well as the few points given to veterans when applying for government work.

The Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard are the safest divisions of national defense. Plus if you go into a war zone you get VA benefits, which are substantial; especially the health care. You'll save hundreds of thousands of dollars over your lifetime on health care insurance premiums.

I also can't figure out why this thread is on ATS. Draft reg. isn't exactly above top secret. Seems lately the threads are getting off the subjects of this site.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
For those of you who stated you knew nothing about this, and are outside the US, registration with Selective Services has been in place more or less since World War 1. If you are in the US and claim you knew nothing about this you are lying.

The truth of the matter is almost no one has been prosecuted or prosecuted successfully for not sending in their SSS registration since 1986. Basically the only people who have been successfully prosecuted for non compliance since 1986 were the ones who publicly stated they refused to sign even though they knew they were supposed to.

A draft now is very unlikely. No one, especially the US military wants untrained "cannon fodder" as some have put it in this thread. The military wants highly trained individuals who can execute their duties with precision at a moments notice. Therefore, this makes an actual draft mostly useless in this day and age.

It is still the law to sign that card though. All that card says or means is that you acknowledge you are indeed a male in the US who is 18 years of age. They already know you are, and if they really want you, they would get you whether you filled out the card or not.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
They won't start the draft again. There are many 18 year olds who think the military goes around the world trying to help people. Only a minority of free thinking young people like the OP know that the military is just a tool for the greedy. Sign the paper and don't worry. Join the Civil Air Patrol if you really want to avoid getting drafted and sent to kill children. That is what I did.
Funny how we think serial killers are so evil, when Bush and Obama send guys to kill 10,000 times the number of victims any serial killer has ever murdered. They do it for money and fun. Every once and a while they kill a person that might have attacked America, with good reason.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Sign it,

I thought I didn't sign it (forgot)
and it made my life hell
fortunately I checks the official site
and realized that I did.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
If you are in the US and claim you knew nothing about this you are lying.

Bull!

I did not know anything about, I must have signed it at some point, but sure don't remember when or why
I did.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join