It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got my letter for the Selective Service today. What should i do?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I'm 17 and turning 18 in a week. Yesterday in the mail, i got a friendly letter in the mail from the Selective Service saying "it's time to register". I'm trying to decide what to do. I need to register to get Financial Aid (which we were counting on), as well as have any hope for a stable government job in the future.

I just DO NOT want to fight a war. It's not that i'm afraid of it, i just see myself and others as more than cannon fodder and would rather not fight a pointless war so the rich can stay rich. With the way the world is going, i wouldn't be surprised if the draft is reinstated within the next couple years. And i would be the perfect candidate. I'm 5'9", 135lbs and athletic (run distance in track).

What i'm hoping is that even if the draft is reinstated, i could have an exemption. I take Zoloft for anxiety and i know it's an exemption, at least for the voluntary draft.
edit on 28-4-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
A draft is highly unlikely.. For now...
But ya gota sign it... Sign it for your country, not for the Gov.

*edit* Just sign it, and at any time it looks like a draft is imminent, join the airforce or navy.. You will get a poge job.

U.S. Army 03-06
B CO 1/16 Infantry

Deebo
edit on 28-4-2011 by Deebo because: add

edit on 28-4-2011 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
There's trouble in a far off nation
Gotta get in a love formation
Your love's more deadly than Saddam
That's why we gotta drop the bomb!

Yvan eht nioj..
Yvan eht nioj..
Yvan eht nioj
NIOJ!!

If your in a mess
You'll come around
And you'll sing it again
Yvan eht NIOJ!!

Yvan eht nioj..
Yvan eht nioj..
Yvan eht nioj..
NIOJ!!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
I'm 17 and turning 18 in a week. Yesterday in the mail, i got a friendly letter in the mail from the Selective Service saying "it's time to register". I'm trying to decide what to do. I need to register to get Financial Aid (which we were counting on), as well as have any hope for a stable government job in the future.

I just DO NOT want to fight a war. It's not that i'm afraid of it, i just see myself and others as more than cannon foder and would rather not fight a pointless war so the rich can stay rich. With the way the world is going, i wouldn't be surprised if the draft is reinstated within the next couple years. And i would be the perfect candidate. I'm 5'9", 135lbs and athletic (run distance in track).

What i'm hoping is that even if the draft is reinstated, i could have an exemption. I take Zoloft for anxiety and i know it's an exemption, at least for the voluntary draft.

One moment!!
America forces you to register for military to be able to drive a car and go to the university?!?!!!!?

edit on 28-4-2011 by cushycrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

When I turned 18, i got the same letter in the mail. I didn't sign up and would not have if I didnt decide to go to college this fall, as I needed it to get unemployment insurance (NY state) and to get Financial Aid. The good part is that I too have an exemption, I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder on more than one occasion by more than one doctor, along with Borderline Personality Disorder. I don't think they would really choose you over someone who has absolutely no problems at all unless there was a serious war outbreak closer to home. If your going to college and need financial aid.. unfortunately you do have to sign up. No way getting around it.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

True. The good thing is that i really don't need the Zoloft. It's a crutch, i can function without it but it's easier with it. But if it gets me out of a draft, should be a good thing.

+30 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Many letters and documents go missing while in transit via US Postal Service.

Are you sure you really got the letter? Because I thought you said you were still
waiting for it to arrive.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

That came on a few days ago.

As for the OP, I would tear it up and give TPTB a middle finger. Or you can just go with it and continue to be their slave. It's up to you. I wouldn't ever consider fighting a faceless war though.

If you can somehow cheat the system though... well, you can go for it, but you better hope it won't backfire.
edit on 28/4/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

relax. fill it out and don't worry a bit more about it. There will not be a draft anytime in the near future. They are turning down applicants right now. The military is fat for a Democratic presidency. You will be asked in the future if you filled it out. I don't remember where, but I do remember it being asked. It's a formality. If for some very unlikely reason you were called upon, look up consciences objector.en.wikipedia.org...

enjoy your youth, real life is nowhere near as fun.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Hey, just sign it and if there is a draft (pointless) you can tell them your a conscientious objector and they'll find you a nice quite job somewhere or they'll use you for a lab rat or a prison guard or something like that! No worries! and you still can get your school and stuff! If you don't sign it, and there is a draft (because things are REALLY that bad) and they do get they're hands on you, then your just a Bradley Manning and life will end up sucking very bad for you! Roll the dice, just like the rest of us have to ! ! ! ! !

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
As was stated earlier a draft is very unlikely anytime soon.

The military has been told to stand-by for force reductions once they start pulling out of Afghanistan. (Wether or not that ever happens is still anyones guess at this point)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I went to the military and actually wanted to join for a little bit of money as some pencil-pusher somewhere in Bosnia or whatever where it's relatively calm. A friend of mine did that and got a sh!tload of cash for basically doing nothing in the 3 months he was over there.

But trust me on this...the military is the most retarded mindkilling place you'll ever find yourself in. Don't join.
edit on 28-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   

What should you do?

I would recommend that you be proactive and just JOIN UP!

Do a 4 year tour and rack up some benefits. The Air Force is pretty nice.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
When you sign that paper, it can be used against you at any time. I actually got drafted in my country, but I asked my grandfather what I should do. He strongly adviced against it. And he was a guy who fought in WW2. When you register to the military, you sign away your freedom. I would have been in an entirely different situation today if I said OK to the military. I would have been in a situation where I would be called for exercises every year. And because I am self-employed that would have meant lots of money down the drain. My company requires all of my time. When I get a family my wife and kids will take up all of my time. I haven't got time for the military, and most other people should not have time for it as well. I imagine "un-registering" is not that easy.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I would sign with the addendum "under duress". Web search the phrase "contract under duress" to know why that is.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Just write "under duress" next to your signed name. You are being forced to sign it.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I am shocked that anybody would be mailed a letter such as this in a free country. Vanuatu does not require it. Australia does not require it. New Zealand does not require it.

Can I ask some of the American ATS'ers - Is this normal? I'm really hoping it's not.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SerenityGained

Yes.U.S protocol, sad I know.All U.S men must sign it at the age of 18.It takes a lot of money to fight it in court but it is possible.
edit on 28-4-2011 by thatonedude because: to add

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Draft registration has been around since the beginning of time it would seem, and only during Vietnam was names ever pulled from it. It is the law that on your 18th birthday a citizen must sign up, however it is nearly a technicality since even with a draft service is still voluntary.

A work around this whole thing in law does exist, the simple answer is do not be a citizen and correct your nationality legally, this is the only true path to freedom, do not fall for all the misinformation out their on so called freedom movements. Only one is legal and back by the attorney generals office.

That information can be found at my thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SerenityGained

Welcome to eh big lie that is America.

There's no freedom here.

Unless you count the freedom to become a random corpse in a "security" or "welfare" raid.

Any American who's paying attention spends an awful lot of time looking over their shoulder and listening to the sounds outside. And it's not because of crime. It's because of our government.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join