Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Got my letter for the Selective Service today. What should i do?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SerenityGained
I am shocked that anybody would be mailed a letter such as this in a free country. Vanuatu does not require it. Australia does not require it. New Zealand does not require it.

Can I ask some of the American ATS'ers - Is this normal? I'm really hoping it's not.

Yes, American men are required to register for the military draft. The letter was a friendly reminder of the duty of every young man in America to make their presence known to the local draft board. No one has been drafted since sometime in the mid 1970's. Military service in the USA is an all volunteer operation, it has been that way for several decades. The law is in place in case things change and the there is a need to have a large buildup of the armed forces. If you are considering not signing up, that is a poor decision and those suggesting such a plan are giving you really bad advice. The chances you will be called to active duty are very close to zero. The chances you will find your life complicated by not registering are fairly good. If you lie on some government form and say you registered when you did not there is a small chance you will find yourself denied the thing you apply for and have to spend considerable resources undoing the problem.

In America there is wide variablity in the precentage of young people joining the service from among the draft board districts. Take a few minutes to learn about the various districts near you. The number of people subject to the draft in each district is lower in a district of high enlistment. Generally if you live in an east coast city and you have a relative in a rural county, register from you country cousins address. In case of a national call up, volunteers from the rural districts are high enough to make the draft quota zero in the rural districts. Whatever you do be sure to register when you are eighteen and keep tract of the number, and your mail to the address you use until you get a little grey.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
How about you just stand up and be a man and sign it.

If not, you'll be ducking out of life's 'hassles' forever.

I mean come on - You want the benefits without paying your dues? What a cop out.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Grow up.

(/drill Sargent lecture)

peace

Women get all the benefits without paying the dues. Why should men be required to sign up and women not? I thought we were a country that was fighting for equality between men and women?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

why should one run when they've done nothing wrong to run from?

Huh That's odd, I must have made a mistake some how or the nuther.. Drinks for everyone.
edit on 28-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)
edit on 28-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
swipe it between your cheeks (yes, those cheeks), write F--- YOU in big letters across it, and mail it in...i just threw mine in the trash years ago, but there are far better things to do with it...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
go get yourself a felony. then the government won't allow you in.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HenryPatrick
swipe it between your cheeks (yes, those cheeks), write F--- YOU in big letters across it, and mail it in...i just threw mine in the trash years ago, but there are far better things to do with it...

Exactly.
Mine met the same demise. lol

randyvs~

Huh That's odd, I must have made a mistake some how or the nuther.. Drinks for everyone.

Lol, No problem.

and I'll take a spring water please!
lol

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thegasface

theres no way around it.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SerenityGained

This is completely normal. Every male in our country has to sign up for the selective service. Pretty bunk, ain't it? They don't care about your views on war and murdering other human beings (it is murder when someone is forcing you into a situation that you will be required to defend yourself). They want you to die for their agenda, erm, I meant your country.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BriggsBU

I think you have your question posed completely wrong. You should be asking why ANYONE is required to fight in a war they don't believe in.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

File the document. Also realize that you don't have to kill to support your country. Objectors are allowed to serve in military support roles behind the lines. But it is the law to register.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegasface

theres no way around it.

are you serious?

What a joke.

If you are indeed being serious...
You are a true lemming.

NOW GET OUT THERE AND KILL SOME PEOPLE FOR PEACE< SOLDIER!

edit on 28-4-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)
edit on 28-4-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
If there's a draft Im not fighting Id rather rot in prison than fight for this piece of # country.So sign it or whatever and if that day comes tell em to suck your dik.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I ended up signing mine, I needed the financial aid for college and well....had to sign it. However, I just felt positive about it, just a feeling it won't happen, but of course, the future is unpredictable.

All my friends had to sign up for as well, just don't worry much about it. I was worried when I got mine, but after awhile, I just signed it about 2 years ago. Haven't heard anything since, which probably doesn't even matter.

I'm also not a fighter, I don't believe in fighting much, as cheesy as that sounds.

Anyways, people have "ideas and ways" of getting out of it, you can do a simple search on the Internet if you wish.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I have a feeling certain states can impose reasons for signing the selective service letter. I am an LPR (Legal Permanent Resident) and when I first came here, to even get a DL or a State ID, I had to sign the darn thing. That was a statue put in place by Gvnor Shaf..errr Taft of Ohio. He signed up for the drivers licenses laws supporting SSS registration. I'm not even an American citizen yet, but I had to sign it. For me, not signing it would had me pretty much locked in my own home, unless someone was able to chauffeur me around, and I couldn't rely on my now extended family to do that.

That was over 5 years ago. I've not worried about it. I dont think it will happen.

This little snippet is from the main homepage of the Selective Service website..

ATTENTION, UNDOCUMENTED MALES & IMMIGRANT SERVICING GROUPS! Selective Service does not collect any information which would indicate whether or not you are undocumented. You want to protect yourself for future U.S. citizenship and other government benefits and programs by registering with Selective Service. Do it today. If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It’s the law. According to law, a man must register with Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Selective Service will accept late registrations but not after a man has reached age 26. You may be denied benefits or a job if you have not registered. You can register at any U.S. Post Office and do not need a social security number. When you do obtain a social security number, let Selective Service know. Provide a copy of your new social security number card; being sure to include your complete name, date of birth, Selective Service registration number, and current mailing address; and mail to the Selective Service System, P.O. Box 94636, Palatine, IL 60094-4636. If you have a social security number, you can register online (click here). It's quick and easy.

Bolded mine

SSS Homepage

Then we have this wonderful little bit...

Background Federal law (50 U.S.C. App. 451 et seq.) requires virtually all male U.S. citizens, as well as immigrant men residing in the U.S., to register with the Selective Service System (SSS) when reaching age 18. In an effort to ensure compliance among young men, many states have enacted legislation which links SSS registration with the process of applying for a driver's license or state identification card. As a result of such legislation, in May 2002, the state of Delaware, which enacted driver's license legislation in 2000, became the first state to reach nearly 100 percent registration compliance since the Agency began compiling this data. In that same year, seven other states increased their compliance rates by 3 percent or more after enacting similar driver's license legislation. Maintaining a high compliance rate is of concern to officials because it means that any future draft instituted by Congress and the President in a national emergency would be fair and equitable. Also, men who fail to register with Selective Service are not eligible for certain programs and benefits that the Congress and 41 state and territorial legislatures and the District of Columbia have linked to registration. They include student loans and grants for college, most government jobs, and job training. Additionally, immigrant men residing in the U.S. who fail to register when they are at least 18 years old, but not yet 26 years old, may be denied U.S. citizenship by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

SSS Linked to DL applications

Yeah, Selective Service can screw you up...if you dont sign.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
well bro, I am not gonna tell you what to do.
All I can tell ya is what I would do.

BURN IT !!!
and light a cig off the flames.

I will not fight for evil corrupt corporations.
But I would fight to preserve the integrity
of America. But TPTB have abandoned
that agenda decades ago and they are
the ones sending you a service registration.
So you make up your own mind lil brother

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Just register. You likely wont get drafted. You are rather short and light weight. I have a metal rod in my back so I am not able to join the military

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegasface
reply to post by thegasface

theres no way around it.

I do wonder how many of those
20 Million illegal immigrants got
a selective service registration
form ???

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Back in the day when I got my notice and there was a draft, I filled it out put the county jail as my address since I was in on a class d felony for possession of barbiturates I let them know that too. They never did come a knockin for me seems kinda strange since a few of my buds came back from VN with a hankerin for that china white skag that they were getting over there for pennies on the dollar.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Just sign it and turn it in. If you don't and they do have a draft it will not matter if you signed it or not. They will find you anyway.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join