It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows coders write buggy code - ON PURPOSE.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
As a programmer, at first i was like " ha yeah right" Then i slapped myself for realizing i would do the same thing. It's always good to have some sort of back door way to add things in. Not saying I can, but I'm saying it's an obvious tactic by anyone wanting to do various things, including quickly loading software onto a database to record and transfer undetected.

EDIT: my friend says he has a few articles on this from the 90's, i'll post when i get.
edit on 23-4-2011 by gandhi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by coder22

I suppose the only problem with this Idea is that U.S. Government Officials would also be using same software. Wouldn't this just jeopardize the U.S. as much as help us? Putting a back door into a program means that anyone can open it....and unless you are suggesting that every single government official is in on this, and that they all have specially coded software without the holes.....well That seems somewhat unlikely to me. If there is a hole, then others will be able to find it and abuse it. If not just your average hacker, then to be sure, some super hacker employed by China or some other country should be able to find a hole like this and exploit it pretty easy. I guess that makes me a bit skeptical of this claim.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix
reply to post by coder22

How could you guarantee that buggy code is created at the source???

Create the most popular compilers and be sure that THEY contain even buggy code.

OMG there are issues that have followed many MSVC iterations going completely unrepaired for a decades.

Post those minutes! ... but anyone that has worked with ANY MS compilers from Pascal 1.0 ( or even through any one of the many products that MS acquired and rebranded ) knows there are recurring bugs and can identify the compiler used just by testing what ever the programmer has written. Heh, including any OS components.

It'll be nice to see some proof. But it will NOT be any surprise. So good that the masses haven't found Unix.(?)

I got a question for you guys. Does the person/company who develops the virus or faulty code, get to patent it? Is there such a thing? If so, it means money so yeah someone would stoop that low.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
reply to post by coder22

I suppose the only problem with this Idea is that U.S. Government Officials would also be using same software. Wouldn't this just jeopardize the U.S. as much as help us? Putting a back door into a program means that anyone can open it....and unless you are suggesting that every single government official is in on this, and that they all have specially coded software without the holes.....well That seems somewhat unlikely to me. If there is a hole, then others will be able to find it and abuse it. If not just your average hacker, then to be sure, some super hacker employed by China or some other country should be able to find a hole like this and exploit it pretty easy. I guess that makes me a bit skeptical of this claim.

The US government, aka justice department has been there and done that. You haven't heard of Inslaw, Inc.? And how do you think they track you now?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose

Originally posted by 547000

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by 547000

What are you talking about? spending hours getting software to work? your just spewing crap that isn't true, im running a fully customized version of Gentoo, it took me a total of 2 hours to install, set up a GUI, and install commonly used softwaren, and I used the Gentoo documents as a guide, not a single problem was had.

My experience was different. I installed ArchLinux, then spent many, many hours just to get wmii to work the way I wanted to because the documentation was abysmal. Also the wiki I searched was out of date and I had to play around, creating an unobvious symlink to install a few drivers. Much of my experience was like that, undocumented gotchas where you have to guess the way to get it to work.

I also tried to install Gentoo once, and the installer did not work.
edit on 23-4-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

Why am i not surprised?
So you had a bad experience with Arch (which is not for "newbs" anyway)
and you "tried gentoo once" (also not the most "newb" friendly).

and you feel you can say that "Linux" (all of Linux, no less), is no good? lol

Well that seems like more than enough to give a proper assessment!

and you had the balls to talk about "experience" to me?
lol, Come on man, Please.

again, no surprise.

Well im gonna tell you this 10 times out of 10 its a problem between keyboard and user...

True story.

edit on 23-4-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

I've tried many flavors of Linux and they all suffered from crappy documentation and, despite being technically competent, I found it a chore to manage. This is the Achilles Heel of Linux, and to deny documentation is an issue you have to be a fanboy.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by coder22

They use satellites for global spying and they have hackers that watch the internet i highly doubt they need microsofts help

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by christof94
Just another reason to use Mac.
OP, are you an Apple employee?

Ahem....

Two security researchers have discovered a simple way to map out where you've been almost anywhere in the world—without any hacking involved. The information comes from a location cache file found within your iPhone's backups on your Mac or PC, bringing out serious privacy concerns and opening the door for a jealous spouse, thief, or even a crafty trojan to take a detailed look at your whereabouts. And it's information that no one should have access to—not even law enforcement, barring a court order.

So your iPhone—and probably your computer—now both have a file that mirrors data that was previously limited to law enforcement, which itself was only able to obtain it from a court order. Without encrypted backups, someone who has access to your computer can see your whereabouts. "By passively logging your location without your permission, Apple have made it possible for anyone from a jealous spouse to a private investigator to get a detailed picture of your movements," the team wrote. But even if you check the box to encrypt your iPhone backups on the computer, the file is still unencrypted on your iPhone, and it wouldn't be hard for someone with ill intentions to access it. (1)

Pretty convenient no? Especially considering the police (Michigan example) are now downloading phone information at traffic stops, legally and without a need for court orders.

So, is there anywhere you've been in the last year that you don't want anyone to know about?

Yet another reason to Jailbreak your phone

YES!!!!!! there is an app for that.

21 Apr
Neuter Consolidated.db iPhone location tracking
Author: BigBoss // Category: Jailbreak, News
-
Thanks to developer Ryan Petrich, you can now neuter your iPhone location tracking.

Now, understand what this is. In its current state, this is a process daemon that runs every 5 minutes if the device is not asleep and clears the location data off your device.

Search for untracker in cydia and install it.

i suppose the only way to plug all the holes is to become a hacker.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Meh.. I think it's bunk. Yet another "inside source" thread.

The security updates released are not fixing previous updates. They are very obvious what they fix. And the "holes" are usually just a spot in their code where someone could slip a trojan or something. Go here if you want an idea of the sort of holes their security updates fix.

There is no magical spy code where suddenly the CIA can view a computer because of the security hole. And usually the hole amounts to naught - most companies of any size they would even care about are behind firewalls you know. The most intrusive is a site that captures your keystrokes, but that usually requires going through some proxy site, as in through a phishing attempt.

If that is some grand scheme to spy on the corporate world, they failed very badly.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Amazing. After six years working there I had no idea. In fact, after six years there as part of a 25 year career in technology and MSM this and the global media conspiracy seem to have passed me by.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance

***snip***

Alternatively, check out Linux.. it's free and it's safe. May I suggest Ubuntu 10?

***snip***

You may indeed suggest Ubuntu 10.

However - to take an open source operating system and declare it safe - that is stretching the truth beyond repair.

There is nothing safe about any operating system. The reason MS is having so many holes exposed is that it is targeted so much because of the huge number of users.

I have a friend from the old days when we cracked the good old Concurrent CP/M and he is more up to speed about newer systems than I am, and he assures me, that "they" are still developing backdoors and robot systems for Linux and Unix.

And one of my collegues are living proof why this is working. He happily downloads and install anything for his Linux system, simply because it is Linux, Open Source and therefore safe.
Poppycocks I say.

That said I am also using backdoors in my work.
And when ever I help a friend or a friend-of-a-friend with their wireless network I always use the same 30 character passphrase.
So in other words - I have no problems with numerous wireless networks in Denmark and England.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by coder22
Guys - I have a friend on the "inside" - he's a microsoft employee that claims there is a team of programmers that purposefully write vulnerable code (at the request of the guys at the top).

This malicious code is ****written in a way to look like it could be passed off as an "accidental bug"**** for plausible deniability!!! He is going to be passing me the minutes of one of their meetings to upload so I can whistle-blow.

I have been told that these software holes are frequently written and installed in updates etc etc - at the request of CIA. - And in fact, some of the programming team ***IS*** CIA.

The beauty really is, is that when they are discovered, they just look like, "oops!! I little bug - we'll fix that with a patch..." but the reality is, that when holes are being patched, new holes are being opened. Accidentally on purpose. It's all about plausible deniability. I mean seriously, a code myself, simply missing a closing ] etc in the right place can cause all sorts of problems. - And that's the kind of thing they're doing. Or writing "error checking" code that is actually malicious.

Hopefully I'll get these minutes in the next few days. People will be named and shamed.

EDIT TO ADD: I don't think these bugs are written to spy on your average Joe, these are bugs written for global spying. Governmental stuff.

Soundbite by me from later in thread :

...imagine having a backdoor in the worlds most popular operating system? And also, if discovered, it looks like a totally innocent bug that could have happened to anyone? What you have then, is a VERY powerful weapon.

edit on 22-4-2011 by coder22 because: (no reason given)

Given that your 'insiders', the US Government including the Pentagon, not to mention Microsoft themselves are the biggest users or Microsoft software, I will have to put this down to the ongoing nonsensical ramblings of the eunuchs writing code in their mom's basement because they can't seem to make money off their idiotic business model.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Linux as a desktop OS is overrated when compared to Win 7. I can't believe I am actually saying that, but I have spent the last year developing a system which runs on linux servers, and using Win 7 at the desktop. I have had 0 crashes. I have had no trouble installing hardware or software - the experience has been amazingly straight forward (apart from some Oracle software...) My desktop is a tool, and I want it to work, and with win 7 it just does. This is the first time in 15 years as a professional IT person that I have had anything good to say about MS. Its been unarguably rubbish from beginning to end. Until win 7. Credit where credit is due.

Some of my colleagues use linux variants as desktops. Great its free, but they spend an incredible amount of time dicking around fixing little things and its forever a PITA. They like dicking with computers so think its fun. I don't.

Back on topic I cant see a reason why some governmental organisation wouldn't love to put back doors into MS software. The opportunity to be able to spy on the work of just about any person on the planet would be too much to resist.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

i think microsoft is very lucky ...the first stable client operating system was windows XP professional ..before that it was always hell to use windows for client and microsoft made money of crappy client os too..

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think the main reason for Microsoft to release flawed software and updates, is to slowly but surely hamper and destroy it's functions, and eventually make it unusable, so you go out and buy a new Windows Microsoft comutper. I doubt it has anything to do with spying on over a billion people though.

The updates are deliberately targeted at destroying or corrupting your drivers, making important files used to operate certain tasks and functions of your computer obsolete!

I've had 3 laptops in the past 5 years, and all of thier disc drives (CD/DVD) ended up malfunctioning and not working.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
That's the price we have to pay for convenience, and it doesn't just apply to PC's.
Either you accept it or choose live like a freakin' hermit.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by coder22

I'm surprised this is a major story right now, it is known that NSA is deeply involved in OS development, Microsoft fully acknowledges it.

It's for our own good you know, we could all be Terrorists afterall...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The bigger the project, the more holes there will be. I personally think that they would leave some gaps in so they could manipulate their own systems, yet at the same time I think they probably do have dumb glitches in there just generally due to human error that they don't know about... since coding such a big piece of software is probably a nightmare anyways.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I think it is more a money making scheme.

If they produced a flawless OS there would be no need for future releases/upgrades, other than cosmetic changes. Whereas, if they produced a slightly buggy OS people will feel the need to upgrade to the "new & improved" version.

Microsoft is not the only company to be doing this. Even our trusted Internet Security programs take the same approach.

Cha-Ching!

££££££££££££££

edit on 23/4/11 by TrixXxtaR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by coder22

Is this the same thing Apple is doing with their Iphones? When I heard they were able to track people where they go, I thought that maybe our government had them program it into their iphones to track possible terrorists. If you consider that a lot of bombs are triggered by phones, it wouldn't surprise me if the government set up a contract with Apple to program tracking into their phones.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This isn't a my penis is bigger than yours contest, but I have a very close family member who dines with Bill Gates several times per year. She graduated Central WA University and began by writing technical manuals for Microsoft in 2001, now her name can be found in the comment lines of Windows 7 Core files. She showed up to a family gathering shortly after the release of Win7 with a bag full of legit copies and literally handed them out. She is extremely brilliant and before she ever worked for Microsoft we would discuss conspiracy. She was the first person who told me how advanced the government is (when I was maybe 6 or 7 years old).

I don't know about the CIA, but when I found out about the NSA involvement in Windows 7, I asked about it. She wouldn't say much which full-well could have been because she didn't know much, but what she did say was it is true and once connected to the internet becomes linked to a series of networks, some of which filter the content you search and type and some of which can actually remotely access every file on your hard drive. Meaning if you type a letter to you aunt frigging bee and save it to your desktop, they can pull that file and review every word. This was implemented as a means of strengthening security after 9/11.

I should have started a thread on this myself, just reading over this makes me want to learn Linux.
edit on 23-4-2011 by NewWorldDisorder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join