It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific falsehoods in the Bible

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lenisey

The main idea of Hinduism is exactly the same than the main idea of Christianity. Do as you're told, otherwise you'll be punished in afterlife. It exists as a tool to keep people in line and not challenge authority. Sure with the Hindus it's not quite as extreme, as instead of eternal damnation you instead just take some steps back on your personal journey towards the super awesome state. So if you're bad you reincarnate as a fish or something. However, Hinduism has created a really ****** up caste system in India that is just pure evil.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

the book of mormon? wow....i got a few 1st edition things of theirs around, i better go list them 4 sale on my amazon bookstore!...i had no idea!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

And yet it's still wrong.

And I will respond in the same juvenile way you responded to me, which is, essentially, so says you. It appears that science is your God, and while science has it's place, the best scientists will admit that they don't have all the answers (as opposed to you apparently.)

Graham Hancock and a number of other researchers have cited evidence for global catastrophes in the past which have contributed to different cultures development of their myths. As for the Heartmath stuff, you really didn't read it very thoroughly did you? For the esoteric stuff, How many years have you spent studying sacred geometry and related topics? Probably very little or you would recognize that what I am saying in regards to esoteric interpretation is judged valid, not just by me but by many esotericists/studiers of the occult. As for the rest, you have your mind made up all ready and are just itching to incite argument. I won't play that.

edit on 14-4-2011 by coyotepoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

really...thats a shame...they sound so peaceful in books...lol....i guess humans can twist anything around to fit their own agenda!....

thats why i've stuck to my decision of following my heart, my conscience and my gut feelings over any and all religions.....it has not failed me yet.....i trust me! lol

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
don't get me wrong...i AM A CHILD OF GOD...i know God, and i believe...i just happen to know him within myself...and do not heed to search without.....i am blessed and happy in general...and at peace in my soul.....i do not need others to validate whether i am right or not....BUT..i do understand that most people really need outside help to achieve this,...and its good for them top have religions and churches to turn to....without them ....welll it would probably be ugly

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lenisey
reply to post by sprocket2cog

thats nice, according to whoever wrote tthat list...cuz, i know nobody that i know, and none of my relatives in italy, or mexico even has heard of most of those books...then there are the countries where some whole villages cant read , yet have heard of the bible....
honestly i just am saying it has survived...
i do not believe in it, as i said...its like the kids "telephone" game....
none of it was probably anything like the original writings....
i just do not believe in discrediting the popularity, and crazy power it seems to have to just hang in there ...instead of being forgotten about, or a thing of the past, whatever.....
and i think it was meant to try to teach good behavior...so ....y bash on it...bash on books that encourage evil,serial killers or pedophiles....if the bible helps some people try their best to be good people , then i approve....

Well its understandable that he bible is heard of in so many countries, what with the churchs push to educate the uneducated natives that haven't found god though jesus.. which is really the main point of Christianity isnt it ?

"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

the only true path to god is to give yourself to jesus..
isnt that in a way taking the glory from the father ? and giving it to the son.

i actually have several bibles i use for reference myself and im not bashing the bible, im saying it is an antiquated book from a time long ago that doesn't always reflect the current climate in society.
lets not forget that many other cultures didnt write books but rather passed down morals as stories by word of mouth.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lenisey

Yeah? I'm a child of my parents, who are children of their parents. And there's a lineage that goes perhaps 4 billion years back in time to the very first replicating machinery on this planet. Thru this lineage I'm related to everything that ever lived and lives on this planet. My closest non human relatives are the chimps and the bonobos. Also very closely related to me are the gorillas and the orangutans. There's a natural (and falsifiable) explanation to this all, all thou we can never tell the exact way it started (we can't discriminate between the alternatives). There's also a natural (and falsifiable) explanation to how the planet, the solar system, and the galaxy where I live at formed. Everything points out to this all having started from a single point (the big bang) almost 14 billion years ago. This much is known with very high degree of certainty. I don't know what happened around the big bang, but I see no reason to make assumptions that it was anything other than some purely natural event (particles and antiparticles pop out from vacuum all the time, so stuff definitely comes out from what seems like nothing). It's a mystery, but not a miracle. I'm not a child of some evil man-made fairy tale character, but the Universe.
edit on 14-4-2011 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

if you knew how many people would rather die than live without their religious supersitions....

you would realize that the world is allowing these delusions to exist.... All of the world is on a suicide watch...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

As stated...The natural mind of man cannot grasp The Truth of God or His Word.

"Nicodemus came to Jesus and said... "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."
Jesus saw this as evidence of the work of the Holy Spirit in Nicodemus and said...."I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again / Spiritual Rebirth!

In the parable of the lost sheep, in the Gospel of Luke, Jesus says there shall be more joy in heaven over “one sinner that repenteth” than over 99 just persons who need no repentance. Never mind heaven: check out the joy on the Internet. In 2001, rumors started to hit the blogosphere that Antony Flew, a British philosopher born in 1923, had found God after six decades of atheism. At first Flew denied the reports. But in May 2004 he told a conference in New York that he had indeed changed his mind and become a believer.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I am willing to stake my life on the fact that naturally occuring conciousness altering substances were in effect while these and other books were conceptualized, written, copied, recopied, translated, etc.
My whole life.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros
. I'm not a child of some evil man-made fairy tale character, but the Universe.
edit on 14-4-2011 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

i happen to not believe in the "god" that you portray - nor the one that is portrayed in the churches i've been to.
what i call the name "god" i believe to be an amazing energy source of some sort that is similar to a bright light -or even maybe closer to the "falling stars" that we see- but i do not know- nor can my human brain even grasp the concept of what "it" is as it is so far greater of a powerful energy than anything on earth, that "it" was the source of our creation-i believe it has an incredible intelligence that we cannot begin to understand, and that we were not an accident- but an intentional creation...for whatever purpose - is irrelivent to me as i know that it is not something that i need to know...i need only to live the life i was given to the best of my ability- enjoy it to the fullest and be greatful to the source that chose to give me this time, and with it an awareness, this source is what i call "god"....only because of a lack of anything better to call it....i feel VERY connected with it...and i feel confident enough to not wonder....and confident enough to not even argue ....i let others pretend its some imaginary man...but,...that seems to be as far as their minds can see him to be....

my god can fit very easily into your story of how it all began....i have no conflicts with science....

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AnimusInvictus

lol....i really loved seeing somebody say this, because i sure have thought it myself.....i shall second that opinion...based not on any facts...just big suspicios hunches!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by lenisey

Thank you for that post
after all the too and fro you and i have had in this thread, it sums up nicely what i also "know" but i see wonder more in the context that we have the ability to look at the wonder of the universe, apart from that you and i actually seem to be on very similar paths

knowledge is not enlightenment
peace

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
[iAll of the world is on a suicide watch...

this is very true, and scary really....i have had close to 10 people i know well, just in my immediate area commit suicide in the past few years...then the paper has countles more daily...it has begun to anger me , instead of causing sorrow...which is not good that i'm so de- sensitized...but i actually posted on my social networks after the last friend had killed himself that i felt it was selfish opf him not to at least find a dying child in need of one of his inner organs and ensure that the child would recieve his if he was going to chicken out....let a child who wants to fight ...live....
everyone got so mad at me....but i still feel its the least he could do?!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Well, one thing that can not be disputed is that Jesus lived in this world and is more documented than Abe Lincoln or any other literature to date. So the New Testament is a collective writing from many different authors.

Science has not proven how the universe began, just theories, nor has it proven evolution, more theories. Dinosaurs killed off by an asteroid, a theory, but a better one but not proven.
So how can the Bible be discounted? Is it not another theory in a scientific realm?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
reply to post by lenisey

" but i see wonder more in the context that we have the ability to look at the wonder of the universe,

that is very interesting ..i am going to have to think about that..&i thank you as well....i believe an open mind is the biggest advantage i have over ANY religion....their narrow-mindedness blocks out all opportunitys to grow and learn....i know i will never know even a fraction of what is really occuring around me, and i'm glad we shared ideas....

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Well, one thing that can not be disputed is that Jesus lived in this world and is more documented than Abe Lincoln or any other literature to date. So the New Testament is a collective writing from many different authors.

Science has not proven how the universe began, just theories, nor has it proven evolution, more theories. Dinosaurs killed off by an asteroid, a theory, but a better one but not proven.
So how can the Bible be discounted? Is it not another theory in a scientific realm?

en.wikipedia.org...

Actually many of us do not think that Jesus was an actual person. I consider the entire story to just be a made up myth. Not to offend you but to show you that it really is not an accepted truth.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Scientific books are updated every 5-10 years. When was the Bible last updated?

The word of God is eternal, scientific books come and go.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Carseller4 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kove400
First off yes there seems to many inconsistencies with our modern day science. But remember, the scriptures are not written to be 100% literal, only those who have the gift of the Set-Apart Spirit given to us from the Father Yahuwah, can actually understand its meaning. Sort of like, can a computer technician really explain everything about how the computer is built and how it functions, or can the Manufacturer or Designer really explain it to you.

Remember the scriptures cannot be explained entirely by human brains made of water, neuron pathways, salt, nerves, etc which we don't entirely understand how they function either. Only the Father Yahuwah can explain, the Designer of everything, why it works and how it works. Humans know less than 1% of the total understanding of the universe. Think about it were not eternal, how can we explain the eternal? We arent all knowing, so how can we explain everything?

I recommend you watch some videos by Kent Hovind on his theories of the Earth, or Ken Ham. It will help to clear up some things.
edit on 14-4-2011 by kove400 because: (no reason given)

Ummmmmmmmmmm....... I'm not even a "computer technician" and I can tell you how they press micro chips why and how boards work, how to build and operate a computer.

These are all called facts, there is nothing left to "interpretation" so your analogy fails completely. If you wished to learn how a computer operates, you could learn. The same cannot be said about the bible, some parts of it appear to be literary, other parts seem to be metaphors, discerning between the two is not possible on all occassions, especially when numerous places contradict other entries in said book.

There is no science to determine what a writer meant when he wrote something. Pick a poet and tell me what he means and I will find some one else who tells me he means something totally different. Unless the writer inexplicably states what he meant with what he wrote in non-metaphor rhetoric, you can never say you know. If you do, you are making it up... saying that you are blessed by the divine is a dillusion, like some how the maker has blessed specifically you to understand the contradictory rhetoric that the bible contains -- that is quite possibly the most absurd agrument I have ever heard from a relig pov.

As for us not being eternal, sure.... no mere mortal person can ever live eternally, but to say humans aren't eternal is a fallacy.

We are collectively eternal. We have the potential to live forever as a species, for humans to exists for all time into the future, sure I may not, but surely there won't be no people unless there is an ELE. With that said, our information networks we build are completely eternal, meaning we learn more every generation, not less..... we piggy back brain power and work as a unified conscience, and in essence, that is purely eternal. So to say we are incapable of learning about eternal things, because we aren't eternal is about as silly as your OG post.

Originally posted by Carseller4
Scientific books are update every 5-10 years. When was the Bible last updated?

The word of God is eternal, scientific books come and go.

Um, science is fact. The same argument can be said about movie director George Lucas. When was the last time he updated Farenheit? Never... Oh I guess his message must be "eternal" too.....

Or simply, there is nothing to update in the Bible. We could release a new version that fixes the scientifical errors that it contains, but wouldn't that ruin the integrity of the book?

In the same vein, doesn't a "Book" of god, that is supposed to be eternal, have it's integrity ruined simply by containing factually incorrect information?

Also...

The Bible has been updated.... numerous times, I guess you never heard of "The King James Edition." This is the version that was very purposefully updated to benefit Sir King James during his rule, this is the same version you see in the hotel night stand.... which does infact deviate from it's "source."

So I guess, in less than 4 seconds we can prove that the book of god is in fact NOT "eternal" as you would define it?

I mean really, do you zealots even think before you open your mouth?
edit on 14-4-2011 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

The bible is a very beautiful book of myth and lore with historical facts all mix together in various degree.

We should not bash the bible, just because the myth and lore part of it can no be explained.

After all believing in the bible is a mater of personal choice and that should be respected.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join