It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific falsehoods in the Bible

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Loving this OP! Very creative tack!! If you were real, I would kiss you....ermmmm, maybe that went too far....

.....'cause, no doubt you're real.....but that beard!!! Yikes! How about a firm handshake, and a manly bear hug??

Oh, and did I mention? Great idea for a thread, to dissect a book that, well.... let's be realistic here.....is a compilation of MANY parables, from disparate sources, and times and places...and "authors"...an olio, a hodgepodge, a stew, if you will.....a miscellaneous collection......and, in some ways, not Rated 'G'......

Lest we not forget this warning, too:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9764aa41bb2d.jpg[/atsimg]

Oh....wait, wrong image......

.....[fumble, fumble...mutter, mutter......]

(But, the proper reaction to THIS):

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a109ece1f7e5.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

otherwise you'll be punished in afterlife

The corrupt and evil Jesuit conspiring Roman Catholicism took hell and heaven out of context. Heaven is not a place you go when you die and neither is hell, but they are literal places. (ie: the heavens, the universe, the sky, etc.) The Bible actually seems to indicate that when you die that is it. You cease cognitive function and that is that. Sheol is a place that souls rest until their resurrection from Christ. It is neither good nor bad from what it seems. The actual judgments take place in the future after the Second Coming and all men will face Yah and Yahushua in judgment. Catholics used these Scriptures in a time that many people looked to Roman Catholic Churches for guidance and authority of Scripture to keep in power. Its a twisted thing but nonetheless it happened. There will be a Tribulation in the near future to test the End Times populace, and then Christ will return and all men will eventually be judged. So no the popular idea that the corrupt evil Church put out is not correct. Think again.

Psalm 6:5 "For in death there is no remembrance of You: in the grave who shall give You thanks?"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go."

The Bible is actually in agreement with scientific knowledge, but remember Yah can alter things by miracles as natural as it is for us to blink. After all in Daniel it says:

Daniel 12:4 "But you, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased."

This is clear.

Job 26:7 "He stretches out the north over the empty place (or space), and hangs the earth on nothing."

Zechariah 12:1 "The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, said the LORD, which stretches forth the heavens, and lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him.

Job 38:31 "Can you bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?"

Job 9:9 "Which makes Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the south."

The heavens are expanding and many Scriptures point this out. Look at the constellations of Orion and Canis Major. It doesn't spark your mind that they are so perfectly put there that it is hard to see it as a coincidence or the human mind seeing meaning in nothing?

edit on 14-4-2011 by yahushuasaves because: capitalization

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Pretty sure that the bible should never be meant to be taken literally. It's a group of great stories and parables, in many different books, with many different authors, with many different morals. Taking it as a "wikipedia of the unieverse" is extremely pointless.

Congrats, though. You made a list of scientific flaws in a series of books that are at least 1,750 years old. Science advances. We should never look to religion for scientific knowledge. It doesn't make the bible any less important.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Follow along a second or two. The idea of Quantum Physics and String Theory is that things come in and out of existence based on consciousness and perception. This is quite revealing to myself spiritually because that is exactly what CREATIONISM is based upon. Now take that a step further in humanities infancy their perception of how the world, solar system and universe existed may have been in fact exactly as biblically stated because humanities conscience had not developed the elaborate universe before us now (which is still expanding). This leads me to also believe that in a couple hundred years the universe we perceive now will be entirely different who knows maybe the universe is flat and its a screen and on God's wall and he is throwing some back laughing at us all. It could happen.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by calebschoice

Not really. Quantum physics is more complicated than documentaries like "what the bleep..." and "The elegant universe" would have you believe. My point is that science and religion should never cross paths. Explaining how we evolved from other creatures is something left to science. Explaining the nature of the soul is something left for religion and philosophy. Never the twain shall meet.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
It seems to me that science and religion are coming closer and closer to meeting everyday. Catholicism embraces the big bang theory. Science changes every day. Religion seems to stay the same. I think if you read the bible, it should be the message that you feel, not the literal text. Sorta like that feeling after you finish a good book or see a good movie except on a bigger scale. You don't take movies literal. Like say avatar. Fictional place and fictional characters, but you do concede that someone in the movie is wearing shoes and shoes do exist. We used to believe "through science" that the earth was flat and now we don't. Science seems to be just now coming clear. That's why every thing in science ends with "theory".
edit on 14-4-2011 by dropdjones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Here's some great Research Links... Proper Context = Perfect Correlation

www.wordworx.co.nz...

www.biblewheel.com...

www.theomatics.com...

www.kjvbible.org... ---Rightly-Dividing Geology and the Book of Genesis

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Wow, this is amazing! You have solved the mysteries of time. I had no idea that human clocks and our perceptions of measurements applied to all of physics. I didn't know that our bandwith limited brains operated at the same scale of God, and that scientific mystery had been solved. Well, that proves the bible wrong in its science right there. Why would God create so many stars that we could never visit them? (Of course, I only mean in our timescale - and at this particular point in the timeline of humanity.)

/green font

Atheists have become the new fundamentalists. Science is no longer considered theory, but something that is embraced as truth at any given point of our human history. If a human cannot measure it - it doesn't exist. This includes time, God, and the vastness of the universe. The problem with that is - humans can see the universe. They get impressions of time. Some claim to have a connection to God. Scientist atheists have more dogma than any religion I know.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Please stop misusing the word "theory" with respect to scientific theory. I don't think that word means what you think it means.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SorensDespair

"Theories are analytical tools for understanding, explaining, and making predictions about a given subject matter. There are theories in many and varied fields of study, including the arts and sciences. A formal theory is syntactic in nature and is only meaningful when given a semantic component by applying it to some content (i.e. facts and relationships of the actual historical world as it is unfolding)" this is what i think it means. If not then please enlighten me.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Am I wrong about scientific theory? I was under the impression that it is the expression of human concepts, like logic and data. Does gravity work the way the theory of gravity proves to our ability - when time itself is not constant?

If that is the case, tell me what it is like within a black hole.

This extremist view is exactly what I am talking about. You assume that someone doesn't understand how scientific theory applies to man and the physical universe just because he admits that human understanding is also based on assumptions that work for humans.

If God is real, do you think he would be bound by the forces he created - such as physics, and all of its laws?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
My point was that if scientific theory was always true then we would not have had theories prove other theories wrong. Science is still evolving. It will constantly be evolving. We only hold a scientific theory true at the moment. Something might change or be discovered making the previous theory false. I meant no disrespect and if you have a different opinion then please share it.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by IsleptIdreamt

I don't consider my views extreme. If you think differently then ok, but I think we are on the same page(and apparently the only 2 people still on this thread). Science can only prove what mankind knows. When we know more then scientific theory will change. I don't know what it is like in a black hole and I'm sure there is a "scientific theory" out there to explain it. (Not the fact that I don't know but the other). anyway. Mankind's perception "I think therefor I am" The only thing we can prove.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
My reply was to SorensDespair. I agree with you.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Wow...I feel really sorry for all you atheists...
There's nothing to live for...you have no purpose in life...you will die and be snuffed out never to exist again...

I just don't get it.

You act like having faith in something and believing just because you know in your soul there is a higher power is something to be looked down upon.

But apparently you already know everything to know and have decided that it all equals a great big nothing...

Fine...it's your life...but stop trying to force your cynicism on everybody else...

Unless for some reason it bothers you that I believe?

Now why in the world would you have a problem with someone else not believing what you believe when it all doesn't mean anything anyway?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by coldkidc
Wow...I feel really sorry for all you atheists...
There's nothing to live for...you have no purpose in life...you will die and be snuffed out never to exist again...

I just don't get it.

Don't feel sorry for us just treat us as human beings who disregard one more God than you disregard. Much like you deny the existence of Apollo, Zeus and Thor we ALSO deny their existence! We have MUCH more in common than you might expect. We just add one extra God to the list of God's that you do not believe in.

There is PLENTY to live for! Ice cream, pizza, hiking, mountain biking, shootin gunz, kissing lips, hugs, cuddles, BEER, video games, movies, family, new discoveries in Science, art, running, smoking, star gazing, beer, did I mention beer?

I am not really sure that any of us have a purpose in life, expect to maybe find a purpose for our life?

The dying and snuffed out part DOES kind of stink. Just because we have not seen evidence for it does not mean that evidence will not be found in the future. Until that evidence is discovered though I cannot believe in mythology. BUT as soon as there is repeatable testable experimental evidence for it THEN I will believe!

I did not exist for the last 13.399 billion years that the universe existed and the infinity that it did not exist before that, so I will probably not mind it so bad when I cease to exist. I HOPE that there is an afterlife but I cannot base my rational logical world view on what I HOPE things to be. I have only found one way to separate fantasy from reality, Science. Not faith, not hope or my wants and desires, but the cold hard truth.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by idonotcollectstamps

Don't feel sorry for us just treat us as human beings who disregard one more God than you disregard. Much like you deny the existence of Apollo, Zeus and Thor we ALSO deny their existence! We have MUCH more in common than you might expect. We just add one extra God to the list of God's that you do not believe in.

While I'm not entirely on the Athiest bandwagon, nor am I a Christian. My official self-description, which tends to change through time, is as a Discordian New Age Zen Pagan with leanings towards Mystic Christianity (so far I have avoided throwing in the kitchen sink.)

Still, your quote nearly had me rolling around the floor. Well put.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Just to make a quick reference for people, this is a quick list of some of the brilliant scientific "facts" (read blatant flasehoods) found in the Bible. Feel free to ask for explanations.

The Bible is faith, so don't confuse faith with science. With faith, I believe God can do anything. He can make plants that live on light because light was created before the Sun. However, it was only a day or two different in time, so no big deal.

Plants existed before the Sun and Moon (Genesis 1:11-16)

Earth first, yes. However, it was only a day or so different, so no problem. The order is fine for a miracle.If you don't believe in miracles, or don't believe God can do anything He wants, you may not be called to be a believer. It's not for everyone, and the Bible clearly states that no man comes to the Father except He draw him. Preaching the word is not to convert the world, but to find and draw into the net the ones that the Father has drawn to Him. When the Apostles were fishermen, they fished for particular fish. They did not keep every type of fish that was caught. So it is, when He called the Apostles, they were only called to preach to the world to find His people. You must not be one of them, based on how you are bashing the Bible.

The Earth is created before the Sun (Genesis 1)
...actually, to just shorten this: The order of events in Genesis 1 is wrong

The Sun and Moon are set in a physical firmament above the Earth (Genesis 1:16-17)

The Moon is a/produces light (Genesis 1:16, Isaiah 13:10)

Global flood (Genesis..mentioned several other times in later books)

Humanity at a time of civilization which would have enabled large scale construction projects shared a single language (Genesis 11)

Diverse language happened instantly rather than gradually (Genesis 11)

The Hebrew population in Egypt somehow goes from dozens to millions in a few hundred years. (Exodus)

Hares and coneys are ruminants (Leviticus 11:5-6)

God's cure for lepers (Leviticus 14:2-52)

Snakebites are cured by a brass serpent on a pole (Numbers 21:8)

Giants (way too many passages Numbers, Deuteronomy, 2 Samuel, Amos)

Dragons (Deuteronomy 32:33, Psalms 148:7)

The Sun apparently moves and can be made to stand still so that people can sneak attack others at night (Joshua 10:12-13)

The Earth has pillars...I guess instead of being hung it's placed.(1 Samuel 2:8, Job 9:6,26:11,38:4-6...actually, a lot of places)

Pi = 3(1 Kings 7:23, 2 Chronicles 4:2)

Either the Earth stopped rotating and moved backward a bit or the Sun moved backward on its own...well, we know what the Bible says about the relationship between the two. (2 Kings 20:11)

The Earth doesn't move.(1 Chronicles 16:30, Job 38:4-6, Psalms 93:1, 96:10...and a lot of other places where it mentions that the Earth is set on foundations)

People think in their heart (Esther 6:6, Isaiah 10:7)

Ostriches are apparently entirely inattentive parents (Job 39:13-16)

The Sun moves around the Earth (Psalms 19:4-6)

Snails melt (Psalms 58:8)

The Earth has four corners (Isaiah 11:12, Ezekial 7:2)

Lots of fantastical creatures used to exist including satyrs, cockatrices, fiery flying serpents, etc (Isaiah)

The Earth is definitively flat (Daniel 4:10-11, 20)

The stars are tiny objects that can fall out of the sky and be stomped upon (Daniel 8:10)

edit on 4/15/2011 by Jim Scott because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/15/2011 by Jim Scott because: trying to get the structure of the post set correctly in quotes

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

And the point of this was? Gee, if I wanted a handy list, I'd have gone back to the OP on page 1. This is a restate adding nothing but a duplicate post from another person. Never mind. Strike that. I see what you are doing. It seems you are just adding your responses in pieces

edit on 15-4-2011 by coyotepoet because: last sentence

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

Obviously, an error, corrected by editing.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join