It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you help a lady with her: Puppy?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Hey Thanks,

I am told he's just a regular German Shepherd,but a big one and with long hair.
But sometimes he acts in a big cat like manner-the way he patrols the garden,and sneaks about makes him seem part lion part wolf to me.

He's certainly 1 of a kind.

BTW your pics of you and the lion and other big cat-you look like someone famous,can'y work out who yet though.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter

yes, she´s sleeping on the couch but it´s leather and if you want her to leave, just point away from it so its no problem, she´s a Malinoise a tested "Schutzhund", she loves to lick yoghurt cups clean and she even brings it to the garbage on herself

Hey verschickter-My German Shepherd rates yoghurt highly amongst his finest treats.
Mango Yoghurt is what he gets whenever I can afford one,but I eat some of it first

Maybe a little yoghurt could help Silo and Lucy as well.
Good for the tummy is yoghurt.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Well whatever he is, he's gorgeous. I love big dogs. The largest dog I ever had as an Irish Wolfhound...he was HUGE! About my pic....I get that all the time...that I look like someone but they don't know who
When I was in my 20's I worked at Walmart, and I was told that at least twice I day
I wish I knew who it is.....people always tell me I look "familiar"

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

We had a American Canadian Sheepherd dog in white (A.C Sheepherd) and a Black German sheepherd wich were both trained and very child friendly. The black one was poisoned. Today we`ve got the Mali (wich is a "she") because Kimba (the white one "she") died because she was so old.

She likes the nature one, "Froop" prevered. I´m shure you can train your dog to bring it to the plastic garbage when you give her a goodie afterwards. Mine drops it into it ^^

but back to topic how´s Lucy doing???

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

I think Gracie had errands to do this morning and afternoon, so that's probably why she hasn't been on yet. She said she will update asap. I have always wanted an Ebony Shepard...they are beautiful!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

Well whatever he is, he's gorgeous. I love big dogs. The largest dog I ever had as an Irish Wolfhound...he was HUGE! About my pic....I get that all the time...that I look like someone but they don't know who
When I was in my 20's I worked at Walmart, and I was told that at least twice I day
I wish I knew who it is.....people always tell me I look "familiar"

Hehe,Bud is comparable in size to a mediumish Irish Wolfhound,but is more thick set.
He's about 40kg give or take 1kg.
When I first got him home he almost fit in a shoe box!
I really had no idea that he would turn into giant monster wolf lion dog.
When you brush him,you can easily fill a shopping size bag with his hair.
And you gotta do that more than once a week.
Wish I could sell it to the Chinese to make wigs,I would be rich.

Hmm,I was thinking at first you looked like a young Chrissie Hynde from "the pretenders"
But I looked at some pics of Chrissie,and you are much hotter.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Hi All,
It’s been such a long day - I've not been around on ATS to keep you updated for the following:

Please be advised - if you've lost your heart to Lil' Lucy, this is gonna hurt.

Here’s the update on ‘our’ Lil Lucy.

I’ll not bore you with details but I got an offer for a ride to the vet and back.
An hour and more there, 3 hours in the office and more time back and what did the vet say?

Lucy ingested poison of that there’s no doubt, so, he proceeded to treat her for poison ingestion.

The first IV and antibiotics/vitamins and Vit K caused a massive seizure (and she’d already had two at home - bad ones.)

From there the vet had no clue what was wrong with her, he thought coccidiosis. No matter how I tried to explain to him there was no way it was coccidiosis he had it stuck in his mind it was. The ignorant man. He wanted to fight me on it I just basically gave him the mental ‘finger’ and waited for him to smarten up.

So, Lucy got some fluids and the more we talked the angrier I got as he went on and on about this and that, smoked a cigarette right there with Lucy joked with his assistant etc. He was just a total rag.

While he was acting up Lucy had another massive convulsion.

She turned to look at me, the light shined in her eyes just so (I saw the red conjunctiva) and there it was as obvious as day.

Sure, the facts are she ate something bad. It caused her to get very sick, yep, but, the problem always comes in the cover-up. It ‘covered-up’ the underlying problem.

She has distemper.

At this point I have no idea what that means. I mean I know what distemper in dogs/puppies means but I don’t know what it means for Lucy.

Will I try supportive therapy and give her time? (A week? A month?)

Or,

Will I put her down immediately? I just don’t know.

What I do know is she suffered through hell and back in the car to go there, the whole situation at the vet especially when the vet assistant tried to vacuum the tile floor while she was recovering from the seizure. I could have committed murder on the spot. But let‘s get beyond that.

What I need to know is this - Is there some therapy regiment I can keep her on to keep her reasonably comfortable until she gets to the point where her quality of life is too decreased to continue? I just don't know. So I've got to do some big time research and find out about effective support therapy in puppies with distemper.

And, I’ve got to ask you all for your opinion(s)?

You’ve all ‘been’ there for both of Lil' Lucy.

Here comes a huge question.

Take the case that Lucy will not get better.

Also take the case she will go through hell going back to the vet tomorrow night (yes I have another ride). This will no doubt cause more convulsions.

Now take the case Lucy has a large bore IV in her arm so I can keep giving her fluids. So, should I wait until she’s asleep, open her IV and let her ‘go to sleep’ peacefully (let her bleed out) - saving her another ‘hell ride’ to the vet and more seizures?

Or, do I wait and see if there’s something I can do to keep her around for another week or so - knowing in the end she’ll still have to be put down or the convulsions will kill her...in extreme pain...

Or, should I take the ‘chicken’ way out and let the poor excuse of a vet put her down tomorrow?

This is what’s going through my head right now...

Am I trying to foist off the decision on all of you? Absolutely not! But there are people her that have put a lot of time and care and love and attention into our Lil’Lucy, and, I think it’s only fare to ask you too.

Sure, the ultimate decision will be mine, but at this point it’s only fare to ask you all too...

Thank you again for all you’ve done...

peace
gracie

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Edit now that I have read the latest update. I wish I could send you and Lucy hugs. You guys have already been through so much and now this. I have no advice, because hell, I wouldn't know what I would do in that situation. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through right now. You know that you have support here no matter what you decide.
edit on 15-4-2011 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
What a terrible situation to be in, I so understand what you're going through.

I used to have small pets - rats and gerbils - and knowing what to do for the best at the end of their short lives was almost impossible. I lost two or three on the journey to the vet when it was 'their time' and absolutely knew afterwards that they would have died more peacefully if I'd left them alone at home to pass away.

With that in mind I left my last little one to live out his final days on my bed, as comfortable as I could make him, but he lasted for a week instead of going in the day or two that I expected. I spent the whole time remonstrating with myself, but couldn't put him through the journey to the vet.

Another time I took my dearest rat, huge and black, to a vet who nearly fainted on the spot when he saw him. The vet advised giving him a vitamin injection, which I agreed to, having no idea that it would hurt - I found out later that these things burn. My baby screamed - it sounded just like a human scream.

If you're not happy with the vet, and he sounds like a right bastard, do what you think is best. The professionals don't always know what is best for your little one. They have the medical know-how, but where is the empathy?

We all know that if Lucy pulls through she will have a wonderful life with you, but getting her through this crisis is going to be tough, maybe not possible. Does it feel to you as if she has given up the fight? If she seems not to want to go on, do what's best for her.

If you think she has the strength and will to make it, support her all the way.

It's dreadful that the thought of the one person who ought to be able to help you is the thing that is deterring you from carrying on the fight.

I've written here before about the time I had to have my old dog put down. He had stomach cancer and had been put through a couple of weeks of treatment and being extremely unwell. I know his soul survived, I felt it.

Lucy will go on, whenever her time comes. You won't be snuffing her out forever if you decide to put a quick stop to her suffering.

Wait and see what other people say - I don't know a thing about distemper. Hopefully you can research it or someone can give you some good advice on what could be done to heal it.

Meantime, stay with her. Hold her and stay close. It may be that you're the one who has to carry on alone and you want some happy memories of your last little while with her. You need to remember her snuggled up to you, not fearful because of the treatments you've been forced to use trying to get her better.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Info on canine distemper virus:
www.future-of-vaccination.co.uk...

possible treatments(not sure how good this info is,just scanning fot things which may be of help):

kindheartsinaction.com...

This guys name keeps coming up: Dr sears,do not know if hes for real:

caninedistempercure.com...

I hope this info may help you Silo,
Hope remains-
Lucy may have a type of the virus which is non fatal.
The fits may subside along with the other symptoms.

Never give up.
I am thinking of you and Lucy.
We all are.

Yoghurt to soothe her tummy.
Please don't make me cry again with bad news Silo.
There is hope.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Thank you so much... I mean that...

There's a storm here so I've had a huge problem with being able to stay online since I got back. I'll probably get knocked off line again but if people don't hear from me it's thanks to wicked weather and a bad ISP (satellite).

Thank you again and I'll be back when I can.

peace

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Silicone and Berenike:

I'm so sorry. I had NO IDEA this was going to end like this. I honestly never would have shared something so sad as this process.

For now, again, my internet is just getting slammed. I can't get on Skype or to do much research but I've got that info I will look into before making any 'final' decisions.

Problem is I've already held her through her convulsions and they are absolutely the worst thing imaginable. And she cries sooo bad...and...her condition is fatal - that's reality. Maybe there's still more time, but how much? No one knows, especially before it effects her eyes (blindness) and the neurological problems...

Ok, I can't do this anymore I've go tot get back to her and I don't know if this will post anyway but I'll try.

Again thank you from my heart and I will still look into that info when the storm passes here a bit.

love to you both
me

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Awwwwww honey....I am crying too. It is amazing how this little dog has come to mean so much in such a short time. I am not sure what I would do. If there is no chance of her survival, then you may have to euthanize her.....but if there is even the tiniest chance she could survive, I think I wouldn't give up on her just yet....OMG I am crying my eyes out! I am facing the same decision with Heidi....she is 15, blind and almost totally deaf, and now she is losing control of her bladder. The vet told me I should euthanize her, but I just haven't been able to. But I know I will have to very soon.....so I understand how hard this decision is.....((((((((((big hugs))))))))) I don't know much about distemper, but I am going to do some research and post it here if I find ANY chance for her survival. Whatever you decide, you can take comfort in what I said before....you gave her a happy and loving life that she would never have known if not for you......she would have died in the ditch.....but you took her and gave her more love than most dogs EVER get in a lifetime. God only "loans" our pets to us and then he takes them back....sometimes too early. Though her life could be brief, it was a happy one....and she would thank you if she could. I'll be back ok? I am going to see what I can find out...Stay strong Gracie....a LOT of people care

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Do not apologise.
We are with you.
I am so sorry.

But remember,You saved Lucy when you found her.
You gave her the best life ever that she would not have had.

With love.
Sil

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I just did some checking and it says survival chances are at 50/50....and here is a site where if you scroll down to the bottom, they have some natural treatments you can do.....but one of the sites say that siezures can mean neurological problems....but I know from working in health care that a high fever and dehydration can cause siezures as well, so it could be that.....do you know if she has a high fever? There IS a small chance she may be able to get through it....but it's a small chance. I think I would try to hold off for a few days at least, but you are the one there with her and you know her, and she will tell you when it's time. Click on the link to see the natural treatments you can try....Something in my gut says to keep trying..... I just hate this.....I am so sad.
Echinacea and Vitamin C are mentioned to build the immune system....as well as an antibiotic in case she gets a secondary infection such as pneumonia and .....EVERYTHING I have found emphasises the immune system and keeping her hydrated. It IS possible for her to survive.......yogurt and chicken mixed with rice might entice her to eat. If you think she is in pain....you can get the vet to order her some antibiotics and narcotic painkillers, which will also help her sleep....OR you can give her aspirin....if you give her aspirin, here is the dosage
8lbs & under.... give one HALF of a baby aspirin
16 lbs ......give 1 whole baby aspirin

PLEASE GET WELL LUCY!!!!!!!
www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com...

edit on 15-4-2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Don't be sorry. You've shared the joy you had with your dog, which meant a lot to us, as well as the sorrow.

You need support now and no-one begrudges you. We all know you're exhausting yourself looking after Lucy.

In your situation it's hard to think straight and get your focus so you know what to do for the best. My hope is that the burden is a little lighter for sharing it. And that the path becomes clearer for you.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

There is no need to apologize. None whatsoever. I've started this response to you I don't know how many times. For a woman like me who loves the art of word-craft to have no words to express my current feelings, is an odd feeling. It does not happen often and I'm having a hard time typing through the tears. I have had to put down some of my 'kids'....as thats what my dogs are to me in the past. I can empathize with the situation, however I have no solution to offer...and God knows I wish I did. I only know that for my 'kids' when their time comes, no matter where it happens....it's in my arms and in the presence of the strong love and devotion they've known from me all their lives. Just like Lil Lucy-girl has gotten from you all her life.

Know that what ever your final decision is, you have my unwavering support and as much strength as I can give you. I am, like Sil and Stealthy trying to find as much info as I can in hopes to keep you from losing Lucy-girl. So far what I have found and been able to read thru the tears is that this is akin to the measles virus? And that there have been some studies done with Vitiamin A, also with something called ribavirin? Wiki Info on Distemper Treatment

I will keep looking however, as Wiki is hardly a leading site for sourcing. I did run into the Dr. Sears that Sil was talking about too. Wonder if an email to him would result in a response?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

All you can do is make Lucy as comfortable as possible.
Let her see you and hear you and feel your touch,I am
sure that will help her.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

That is the best medicine of all! I know in human patients, it's a fact that the ones who had family and friends and someone speaking and touching them (even when they are in a coma). they have better chances of survival. We are taught that when we see a patient, to hold thier hand or touch thier arm, just because human contact is so important. It really does make a difference. It's the same with animals....they have many of the same feelings we do, and the sound of thier owner's voice and touch is very soothing to them.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
sorry to hear the whole experience and diagnosis-tough decision for you no doubt
but if you believe she has a chance, recommend essential oils which has to be natures most powerful anti-pathogen and can be found fairly easy and sheep, though must know what your using since certain types or misuse can be dangerous and even fatal, but don't let that scare you.. have been using these in alot of different ways along with other family members for years now and have had miraculous enough results for my convincing...another miracle worker that could possibly fit in a treatment strategy if decided, is food grade or codex Diatomaceous Earth (D.E-but not the pool filter kind due to heat treatment) especially when you have gardens, pets, horses or chickens

a few of the EO/pet links below have testimonies of quickly healing??

Diatomaceous earth's mineral content and anti-parasite and worm properties increases proper feed utilization
www.allnaturalhorses.com...

A lot of people use diatomaceous earth as a natural wormer. It works several ways. Because it is a silica, it is microscopically sharp - not on a level that would hurt a horse internallywww.natureshoof.com...

Canine and Feline Distemper Symptoms and
Natural Home Prevention of Pet Distemper
www.preciouspets.org...

Unsafe Essential Oils for Dogs
www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com...

DISTEMPER
aspenbloompetcare.com...

www.holisticdog.org...
edit on 15-4-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join