It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you help a lady with her: Puppy?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Hello ATS Friends,

This pic of my puppy Lucy was taken yesterday doing her 'chores' - (she carries the empty chicken feed dish back to the house each day):

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f44c554296ab.jpg[/atsimg]

This is Lucy today:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e914ed624db.jpg[/atsimg]

Someone left rat-poison tabs on the corner of my front lawn yesterday.

For the last 12 hours we’ve been going through hell she and I doing all we can to keep her alive.

She’s got a high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, and had a few seizures.

Believe me folks I’m doing all I can for her. I can’t go into detail why a vet is just not an option but believe me I wish it was. Don’t beat me up over that fact either please I’d change the situation if I could, I can’t.

If any of you have any helpful hints of course I’d appreciate them more than I can say. If not, would you all please send your prayers and love and light and good thoughts for Lucy...

Thank you & peace

edit on 12-4-2011 by silo13 because: peace

edit on 5-5-2011 by Gemwolf because: Title edited per member request.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Im sorry to hear about your dog. Do you think it was intentional?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LoverBoy

Do I think it was intentional?

I don't know how it couldn't have been unless someone drove by and just happened to toss out a couple a rodent-poison tabs out their window just as they passed my front lawn.

peace

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

From experience...I hate to be blunt, but your Dog will be EXTREMELY lucky to survive this without veterinary assistance.

Your dog needs activated charcoal and vitamin K treatment. Immediately.

Infact. Why are you even posting this on here? Google has all the information you could need.

Prayers wont help your dog, being a responsible owner will.
edit on 12-4-2011 by Crutchley29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I found this after doing a google search for the terms "rat poison antidote for dogs"

If you think your pet has recently (in the last hour or so) ingested rat poison, try to induce vomiting by administering hydrogen peroxide by mouth (you can also accomplish this with salted water or ipecac if you have some). For small dogs, give a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide; for large dogs, a shot glass or comparable amount. If you can't do this, get to a veterinary hospital and have the vet try to evacuate your dog's stomach. If your pet ingested the poison, Vitamin K is the antidote of choice and should be given initially as an injection by your vet, followed by pills or capsules for up to six weeks. The injection is safest if given intramuscularly or subcutaneously, as some dogs have a violent allergic reaction if given the product intravenously. The length of time to give the Vitamin K pills depends on the variety of rat poison ingested. Some are very long-acting and require the full six weeks of therapy. We recommend testing your pet's blood for its ability to clot after stopping the antidote, usually two days later. The poison involved causes hemorrhaging since it interferes with the blood's ability to form clots

Sadly it seems time is of the essence in a situation like this. I hope all turns out well for you.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

If you can't take her to the vet because of monetary reasons, they are good at working out payment plans unless you have a bad record with them. It would increase her chances tremendously as they could provide medicine, fluids, etc.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Wow I'm so sorry to hear that. Some people make me sick

Where do you live? Here in the UK there's a few veterinary centres and all they require is a donation. Do you have anything like that near you?

Hope Lucy recovers

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

If you are sure that your pet ingested rat poison then you should immediately induce vomitting and take your dog to your veterinarian as quick as possible and do not let them eat or drink anything after vomit. The faster you take your dog to your vet and get rat poison treatments, the higher chance of cure and survival rate.

Link: Dog Rat Poison Symptoms

What a terrible and heartbreaking experience. As a child I watched a man walk into our yard with a gun in his hand, our dog was on a chain leash that was pegged into the ground, this was half an acre of property and the man said he was "mad" because he was walking down the road and heard our dog barking?!? He walked up and stood just a foot or so where our dog could reach him on the leash, the dog was going crazy nuts due to this stranger's encroachment, and I came running out the door as the man pointed his gun down and fired three shots into the ground right in front of our dog! I was about 7 years old and I started screaming at this man to leave. My parents heard the gun shots and me yelling and came running out. That man left but he didn't get away because the neighbors all came running out as well. Luckily my dad's friend was the chief of police and he showed up with in minutes and had the guy arrested. Our dog was not shot but the poor animal soiled itself and nearly had panic attacks over anything that sounded like thunder after wards. Ever since I seem to empathize with animals better than humans and reading about Lucy just makes me physically ill. I will pray she survives!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Please tell me you are not posting on ATS for an emergent issue about a creature that is bound to die..
Did you think the people here could prey or do magic to get your puppy out its situation?

This is your fault to be honest, if you knew the people in your area would do this type of thing then why would you own a dog? On the other hand why would you not protect that life knowing this?

You are to blame on all accounts....

If you had or suspected you would had money issues..why would you buy a pet that would cause a drain on your situation, complete bull#. If you want to consider a "pet" as part of your household then you need to be able to take in account for all situations...including the neighbors

edit on 12-4-2011 by mileysubet because: to add

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Go to the Vet, there is no other solution! If its rat poison, it will be over soon, I lost my dog years ago because my neighbour poisoned flesh and threw it over the fence. GO TO THE VET
edit on 12-4-2011 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
1: Go to the vet get the treatment don't worry about money they will let you pay it off. (especially if you don't tell them till after your loved one has been treated).

2: Speak to your neighbors, ask them if they saw anyone hanging around (this is mainly just too put the wind up them because you all ready know it was one of them).

3: Seek help to train your dog not to bark when your'e out.

4: Train your dog not too eat unless they are given a command.

I have two amazing dogs that I love like children, but they are trained and treated like dogs seriously it is quite easy to train them to only eat food that you give them and only when they are given the command words.

If you would like too know more just ask.

Kind regards,

Tlasalt

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
So sorry to hear, and wish I could have seen your post sooner...
I'm a Vet Tech but can only offer so much online, and there's only so much you can do to help Lucy;
Do you know which brand of rat poisoning or can describe it if seen, as they have different ingredients. Do you know of a low income-if that is your issue- Vet or farmer-if distance is the issue-(some farmer treat their own animals mostly) that you can go to?

Basically Rat Poison thins the blood, deplete vitamin k(Warfarin), brain swelling, seizures; choose form here; www.ehow.com...

Once in the body the poison can last...
Treatment is often based on symptoms depending on which brand ingested, etc.Her symptoms sound like Strychnine.

It's been a while and I'm sure she still has symptoms. So, more importantly try to treat her the bes you can(as damage is already done)...

She really need to have a sodium bicarbonate solution(aka baking soda), which will absorb the renaming gases that are causing pain, etc.
How to make it: www.ehow.com... . She needs a five percent solution of it.
Or if you can obtain some activated charcoal to absorb the poison; www.peteducation.com...

Also, make sure she is given Vitamin K, which can be obtained at a pet shop or online pet medication shops. At a Vet she would be given injections. Remember people vitamins are in different dosage and needs, so it's not advisable to try those on your dog. Administer the pet version orally at the rate of 2.5-5 mg/kg per her body weight. I suggest making it into a solution, braking it up or breaking open the capsule, mix with water give by syringe in mouth.

& lots of water, as it's the symptoms are very dehydrating.

See: EHow's info an Rat Poinson TX: www.ehow.com...

Can also call a poison control hotline for tips depending on what brand it might be, etc.

I wish the best for your both, and will be checking back to this thread to see how she is doing.

In case anyone else's dog ingested poisoning...
How to treat if the dog is just found eating the poison; Vomiting should be induced as soon as it is ingested,(by hydrogen peroxide of 1 teaspoon per five pounds body weight, after about three tries and they do not vomit, discontinue as it can cause more harm) esp., if caught in time.
and/or seek Veterinarian help immediately!!!

Also see: pethealth101.com...

edit on 12-4-2011 by dreamingawake because: more info...

edit on 12-4-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2011 by dreamingawake because: fixed.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
If you want to save your dog's life, you need to get her to the vet IMMEDIATELY. Even then, even with vet care, the chances that your dog will survive after eating rat poison are slim. But without treatment from the vet, chances are even slimmer. Most dogs die after eating rat poison because the poison that it contains attacks the blood and causes internal bleeding. Go to the vet, your dog needs vitamin K if she is to have any chance at all to survive and pull through this.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I cannot help it folks. I love animals.

Nothing more beautiful than a good doggie.

You love this little guy? Then do as the others have said. Take your buddy to the vets.

Okay, enough with the nicey-nicey!

Whoever did this to your beloved pup, I wish them the worst.

You got a problem with an animal? Deal with it in a mature manner.

Poisoning?

Whoever did this SUCKS!

Totally uncalled for.

I sure wish the best towards little Lucy, as well as yourself.

Please keep us posted.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Crutchley29

Hmmm, I guess you can't read well can you. I said in my opening post there are reasons the dog is not at the vet and I wasn't going to go into them.

But let's take a little look now.

In all your self-righteousness did you ever once consider:

1. The puppy has already had activated charcoal.

2. Not everyone lives in areas where veterinarians are accceccible by foot and NO, not everyone has a car, access to someone who drives and has a car or the cash to pay for a cab (if there was one) to go to a vet, plus the bills, for a puppy, that no matter how well loved was 'throw away' animal to begin with...

3. There do happen to be people who live in third world like countries that have dogs and, like me, are still responsible pet owners.

4. Prayers help EVERYTHING, even puppies.

If nothing else this thread reminds me how lucky I am to be open minded and non judgmental - unlike others.

Ok, off to answer some notes here and prayer for my puppy, and the ignorant. Might as well pray for two miracles at once!

peace
edit on 12-4-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

Thank you tons!
I started with this thanks to some kind person like you who helped me get info off the net while I stayed with my puppy.
I can't do the Vit.K until later when then pharmacy opens up - but I've someone who will run there or me and back as soon as it opens.

Thanks tons for your help!
peace

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SuspiciousPeon

How absolutely horrific for you as a child and for your dog! No wonder you both didn't have panic attacks forever!

hugs and thanks for the prayers

peace

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Hmmm, someone else that can’t read I see. Well hey, why not pile it on anyway with the others who instead of opening their minds and being caring and gracious and kind would rather add to someone distress and pain by proving just how ignorant and closed minded others can be! Sure! Go for it!

Please tell me you are not posting on ATS for an emergent issue about a creature that is bound to die..
Did you think the people here could prey or do magic to get your puppy out its situation?

Yes, I believe prayer is effective and I believe it can save a puppies life. Sorry you don’t. I’d hate to live a life without faith in prayer. How sad an existence that would be. For me at least.

This is your fault to be honest, if you knew the people in your area would do this type of thing then why would you own a dog? On the other hand why would you not protect that life knowing this?

So let me get this straight - if I 'knew' what someone else was going to do before hand I wouldn't have a puppy? That's got to be one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard in my life. That’s like saying: ‘Wow, I should have known that drunk driver was going to plow down my kid while crossing the street holding the hand of a crossing-guard! Hmmm, I guess I should never had had kids!’

Good luck with that outlook my friend, you’re going to need it. I'd 'lol' but honestly it's just too sad because honestly with that attitude I’d hate to be you on the day disaster strikes you or a loved one. I wonder if you’ll be big enough person to dispense some of the same advice you’ve so lavishly spent here on yourself that day. Well, I can hope can’t I?

You are to blame on all accounts....

For someone who doesn’t seem to believe in God you sure have no hard time playing Him do you?

If you had or suspected you would had money issues..why would you buy a pet that would cause a drain on your situation, complete bull#. If you want to consider a "pet" as part of your household then you need to be able to take in account for all situations...including the neighbors

Granted. A responsible pet owner would not go out and get a dog knowing their financial situation.

But now step down from that pedestal for a moment let’s just open up our little pea-brains and use our imagination why don't we?

Walking down the road one day - (because you don’t have a car) what pray tell do you see but a wriggling mass of fur by the roadside. Two other little masses of fur, are not wriggling.
Hmmm, let’s see.

Do you - one - take the pup that isn’t even 4 weeks old and bring it home with you and try to do your best by the little creature knowing you will have to sacrifice your own dinner(s) for the little helpless terrified cold wet crying and orphaned things that’s been cuddling up to the bodies of it’s other litter mates who’re already dead?

OR - Do you tell yourself.... ‘Well, ya know, looking at this little puppy I just get the strangest sensation that someone is going to be free with rat poison somewhere in this dogs future so I better just leave it here to DIE’...

Guess which I chose?

Oh and let’s also, since we have that little brain a tad bit more open than before take into consideration ATS has a wide range of members - and NOT ALL OF THEM LIVE IN THE UK OR THE USA!

Some of them even live in teeny tiny little mountain towns that have no veterinarians and when most ordinary farm dogs do get sick, they don’t get taken to ‘veterinarians’ - they die - it’s the culture. Just like when mongrels have puppies they’re either drowned or tossed by the road. Who’d a thought huh?

Ok, so, not that our brains are completely dazzled by a little light peaking in through that closed box let’s hope it enjoys the nice fresh air of rationality and stays open for a bit.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

peace
edit on 12-4-2011 by silo13 because: bbc

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tlasalt

I have two amazing dogs that I love like children, but they are trained and treated like dogs seriously it is quite easy to train them to only eat food that you give them and only when they are given the command words.

Normally she's never out of my sight... But at only what tops three months? Well, she wiggles away once in a while and of course eats everything she can get her nose into! BUT! I have been working with her to eat only out of her own dish - it's still just going to take a while.

Thanks for your post - I'd recommend to anyone with a dog to teach it to use only it's own dish and not eat things laying around.

peace

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Your post is just fantastic! I'm going to go now and look up info to make sure giving her bicarbonate of soda will not interact with the activated charcoal (she hasn't passed yet) and the hydrogen peroxide.

I hope the pharmacy in the next town will have Vit.K - if she can get over the hump she's in now I bet she's going to need a lot of this.

I found the tell tale little red/white wrapper from rat poison. Is it what she ate? I don't know but she didn't vomit it up. (I didn't have to induce vomiting she did it on her own and I was careful to look). Then again maybe just a lick of the stuff was enough to get her sick - especially since she's so little.

Seems like the Vit.K is pretty important at this point so I'll just not stop until I get some somehow. And yes she's getting lots of fluid - I found a neighbor with an I.V set up and she's taking a good amount (like it or not) subcutaneous - I can't get a line I.V sorry to say - maybe later when she's more hydrated.

Poison control is a great idea. I wonder if I can call poison control in the States using Skype? Cause I've not got a home phone here or have any idea if there is a 'poison control' here.

I'll go try Skype and poison control in the States.

Thanks again for your time and care - you do your profession (vet tech.) and being a very kind human being a great deal of credit!

peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join