It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you help a lady with her: Puppy?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Sorry for Lucy's loss. Lucy was a brave puppy, peaceful funeral too. Sad that it turned out to be Distemper, and not something where she would have had a better chance. It's vague in symptoms and can only be diagnosed by a lab test.

If you do decide to take the puppy, and the clinic does not give you further info, though they should at least have vaccinated the puppy for the first time and you should return for the rest of the shot(depending on age and if the puppy already had them). The combo shots help protect against distemper-I say help because I doubt any vaccine is 100 percent, but it really is more in your and the puppy's favor to have them done. Combo(en.wikipedia.org...)... Since your not in the US, not sure where you are, the vaccine name/s can vary.
Puppies seemingly healthy will show only then signs of sickness often when places in a new surrounding/with new owner due to stress, to say Lucy may have been carrying the disease before you adopted her.

More on the cleaning process:
Also, you must take cleaning your home thoroughly(bleach,etc) and yard as well of dropping and such, because it can infect a new puppy.

The virus is destroyed in the environment by routine cleaning with disinfectants, detergents, or drying. It does not survive in the environment for more than a few hours at room temperature (20–25 °C), but can survive for a few weeks in shady environments at temperatures slightly above freezing.[16]

From-en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I've been thinking about all your posts and it makes me wonder all over again about the animal/person relationship.

I'm reading here about your cats and dogs you've all had and now you're looking at making the 'final decision' - or you already have. It's a wonder any of us have another animal after a 'great loss'. *laughing weakly* Maybe that's why God made puppies and kittens so irresistibly cute... They just catch up by surprise and leave us no choice but to want to cuddle them and keep them forever.

As for me, I think my puppy days are over.

Yesterday was hell, last night worse and now this morning with my eyes swollen near shut and my eyelids feeling like their insides were re-papered in sand - I just think the answer to the new pup is no.

A pure blood pit bull here with massive great bloodlines etc would be a catch for anyone.
Not everyone here fights these dogs, (though a great deal still do), and not everyone will breed her to death for puppies to sell (though many do) and she'll find a good home - the vet (the Butcher) and 'Gentle Ben vet' know hundreds if not more people... I think the whole message in seeing that pup only moments after loosing Lucy is that life goes on - puppies will keep being born and keep needing new homes, etc and life does just keep on moving on.

So maybe it's time for my life to move on too. Yeah, I think my days here are numbered. After twelve years of living here and being alone I think Lucy's message is it's time to leave this place in search of another home saying goodbye to this antiquated backwards superstitious closed society and find a home where I can have friends and people and not rely on a puppy to be my sole reason for living.

It's something you've all shown me too. There are wonderful people out there who are good and kind and willing to be open and caring. That's a powerful revelation to me. So yes, maybe that's the gift Lucy and you all have given me through this - a chance at a new life, as surely if she was still with me I'd of never left here and forced her to change her life for me.

So who knows? At this point not me, I'm still having trouble getting through another day but I do believe Lucy's gift is becoming clearer.

Thank you all again so much,
peace
gracie

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
It´s no shame to hear to the heart and follow it. Dont worry

I hope for you that the pain will get less soon

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Jesus Christ, Silo!

That post made ME cry.

I'm going the hell to bed now, before I start reading backwards and make it worse.

Come on over. I'll burn down the house of anyone that screws with you critters.

neno

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
The little puppy isn't injured from dog fighting was it? Have they got another taker for the puppy? I just feel so sad as this puppy was rejected by mum and now has to be put down - crap. Send puppy to me in Australia to join my clan tell the vet not to put it down! Not a guilt trip I just hate anything put down without a fair go at life - is all.

Peace

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Silo, thank you for sharing this time of your life with us. My hope is that in the sharing it perhaps provided a little solace knowing there are people all over the world who came to love you and Lucy both. I'm a firm believer in that there are no chance meetings, whether with animals or humans coming into our lives. Allow me to share this with you, about an animal coming into a life and the changes it brought about.

My mother lost her husband to cancer. It was a quick illness and we lost him to it with minimal physical pain to him but it all but devestated her. One evening we were out on the back porch watching the sunset remembering good times with him and marveling in the beauty of the sunset. He always said that when he retired he wanted to learn to paint, so he could try to capture the beauty in a sunset. This is when a little dog came wandering our way. He had no tags, was dirty and looked tired. We took him in, cleaned him up, gave him food and shelter and set out trying to find the owner. No one around knew the dog, ads in the paper, signs up around town and numerous calls to local vets turned up no owner.....so he became ours. One day when she was out walking the little mop top, she met a man also walking his dog and they struck up a conversation as they walked along. Through many months it turned into a friendship that then grew into something more and eventually she found her joy again. (Short version of a long story but the point is still there)

Would she have met this man if that little dog had not come into her life so that she would be walking him at the time she met another caring soul to share her life with? I'm not sure, could be...but I have my doubts about that. That little dog was only with us a short while before he became ill himself and had to be put to sleep, but he was with us long enough for her to find her way in this world again.

I do believe in the fact that God calls us and guides us in mysterious ways, sometimes with a gentle hand or a warm soft muzzle or sometimes just a good swift kick in the pants (I've had my fair share of those). I also believe that love can reach beyond the grave. I believe in the rather simple concept that whether animal or human, when they step into your life for whatever reason, circumstance or length, for those of us who are awake and aware, there are lessons to be learned from them should we choose to see it. You have chosen to see perhaps what Lil Lucy was here to teach you and for that I am so very proud of you, Gracie. It takes a strong soul through grief to see and learn.

As we here have told you over and over..... we will support you in your decisions. You have thus far followed your heart, and in that you will never go wrong. Take all the time you need to work through your grief and decisions for your life going forward... a life I believe will be full of surprises and discoveries.

Your Friend (I hope)
MMIMO

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It sounds as if you have some major decisions to make and I can't say things any better than MMIMO (above).

Just wanted to let you know that I'm still here and sending as much love and support as I can.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Australiana

Quick note here.
The little puppy is only 14 days old.
It wouldn't surprise me if the mom is a fighting dog though - I mean come on - a pit bull that bites her own kid through the head?
I just wanted to let you know though - if I thought for a moment the puppy would be put down I would take it. I have no doubt the family that raises them can't take her with them on their Easter vacation out of the country but I have no doubt at all the little pup will end up in a great home. Again, good bloodlines, female, brindle, pure blood etc. It would surprise me if the vet ends up selling her. On the other hand if I get pressure to take her I will and I will find a good home for her and still make plans to leave here.

Just wanted to let you know there is no chance of that little thing being exterminated.

hugs
me

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

Sharing here has helped in ways I never could have imagined.
And 'they' say the internet isn't real, lol.
Well it is!

I've gained insight into human nature and the true kindness and compassion others can show - when they want to - which is something I've done without for a long long time.

Also, I've gained new friends that I might not have had I not lost Lucy.

About Lucy?
I know beyond a show of a doubt that little pup was only going to be with us for a short time. I mean I know that now but I really think I knew it then too. I'm so happy I got to share her with everyone. She was so incredible special...

Another thing I've learned is to really go back to listening to ME again.

I mean, I KNEW there was something wrongw ith her when she's just look up in the sky. I didn't want to admit it.

I KNEW there was something wrong with her in that she was just too good.

Subconsciously I think that's why I took so many pictures of her and why I never left her alone. It's like my heart was telling me I had to just absorb as much of her as possible and quick!

I've never ever allowed a dog to beg at the table. With Lucy? No begging about it, I ate, she had a dish right by my chair and ate with me, if I wasn't sitting on the floor with her.

I've never allowed a dog to sleep under the covers, lol, yeah, you can guess where Lucy slept.

It was just so - unreal - but totally real at the same time.

I'm thankful for her, and for all of you in ways I can't say. It's been an amazing trip and I'm glad you were all here to share it with me. And the stories I've read from you all and your animals, what they've done for you and your families and for you personally. Amazing stuff.

So do I still miss her? With an ache I'm afraid will never fully heal, but one that's turning bitter-sweet every time I read more for all of you here.

You're all in my heart

gracie

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Good morning Gracie (my time). I only have a minute as I have to go run some errands, but I wanted to check in and let you know you are in my thoughts. I'll be back later today. ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I like to make little memorials to my pets after they've gone. With the rats, I couldn't bury them near to home because I was living in a flat so I had to 'borrow' space in other people's gardens.

I bought silver lockets for them all, two pairs of rats and two singles, and was lucky that I had photos tiny enough to fit. I don't look at them often but when I'm rooting about looking for something in a jewellery box I might come across a locket and find time to have a look and remember them. It helps. I've got one for my old dog, too. I broke tradition and made one for my current little mutt because he was too cute not to

My large black rat used to snuggle up on the left side of my chest and shoulder when he was feeling poorly towards the end and I had his photo put on a T-shirt. Not in the middle, but to the left in 'his place' so that if I wore it he's be where he should be.

I don't know if those ideas might help, but sometimes it's just nice to have a project that still involves them.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

This story is one that just tugs at my heart.

Rats are so lovely!

I had hooded rats at one point and absolutely loved them.
Smart, kind, affectionate, clean (yes I said CLEAN) and soooo intelligent and giving.
And when they're little puppies they're sooooooo sweet and soft and snuggley!

Amd playful! I remember trying to study for my EMT exam and my 'Mr. Bojangles' kept pouncing on my pen and distracting me to..distraction!

Wonderful animals and their size does not match at all the pain felt when we loose them!

More people need to realize the bundle of love in these beautiful animals.

peace

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Thank you for saving me the time for looking up the info, and of course thank you for your care and support and kindness.

I honestly don't know if I'll take the puppy. I don't think so but it seems the minute I say NO, something happens that changes it into a yes. Regardless I spent the day scrubbing with hot water and bleach, washing blankets and drying them in the sun and doing what I could to get rid of that hateful disease. I mean sure, she ate something that made her sick, but she would have recovered from that - almost did. it was the distemper in the end.

Thank you again so much
gracie

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
My husband and I have been following these posts. We were in tears when we heard precious Lucy had passed.
She was sooo adorable! I cant stop thinking about her.

You had said that this experience and the posts had showed you "There are wonderful people out there who are good and kind and willing to be open and caring."
It being a powerful revelation to you.

Reading these posts have done the very same thing for me, restoring faith in the kindness of people.
Touching my heart in so many ways, way long overdue.

Thank you for that, for sharing your experience and in such detail, I wish you all the happiness when
you endeavor on a new life!
Oh, I hope that new puppy gets a wonderful home!
Please keep us updated...Thank you again

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

OK thank you for that - you have reassured me

I am still upset for Lucy too. I thought you were the type of person to help find the pitbull a new home as you are a FANTASTIC individual! Come live over here in South Australia with me!!! It is not a huge city like Sydney or Melbourne an is progressive yet conservative at the same time. The people in Adelaide are down to Earth and friendly - and we Aussies (well most of the good ones) love our animals. So... where the bloody hell are ya???

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Australiana

Don't tempt me. I'm so close to just up and walking out of here you can't believe it.
Lucy, God love her (and me missing her) really changed my life, I mean really. Not just in little ways either.
It's like loving her opened up my heart again to a large part of me I buried away for too long. And then the outpouring (I hate that word but there ya go) from everyone here? Wow, talk about a true life changing time.

And here?
Talk about seeing this place for finally what it IS instead of what I hoped it would be.

Just a little quick example of the 'outcast' I am here. Oh, first. Am I complaining? NO. Just taking a look at reality and there it is.

Ok I'm a foreigner, and a woman without a 'MAN' - huge no no here.
Oh well, tough or them right?

Well, my little house (tiny tiny) has a road that runs right beside it and connects to the lower part of the villa.
This place use to be one huge family villa and is now split in threes. So anyway, the lower house (I can see from where I am but is still separate) holds some original family and another family that bought into the villa like a hundred years ago (no joke) and their offspring still live there. Ok you get the idea I'm living right in the middle of a reallllllly old situation all the way around.

So, the lower house has this older couple and last month the man drove by my place WAY too fast and smashed into a cement pole. And I mean HARD.

I was outside and already taking care of him (his head went through the windshield then popped back in) before anyone got there. From my past training I had this guys neck immobilized (with my shirt, you roll it up and then use the arms to secure it into place), the blood was just freakin gushing and the cut huge, etc. Never mind all that, the guy was basically dying. So the two other families get there and everyone's screaming and moaning and whoop! There goes the aprons over their heads like a bunch a little chickens. I finally has to SCREAM for them to SHUT UP and get someone to drive him to the hospital. (It takes forever for an ambulance to get here and then he ride back to the hospital - way too much time for his blood loss).

So the guy is finally in a car, on his way, etc. 7 people are standing there watching him be carted off right. I'm standing there covered in his blood, glass etc. What did they do? Did they thank me? Did they say - 'Hey, you want to come down to the main house and wait to hear how he is?'

No. They turned their backs to me as a group and walked back down the hill without even a thought that I was let standing there alone. Ot maybe they knew and just didn’t give a bleep. And this is after being neighbors for 11 years.

Do I want 'thank yous?' No.

Do I want to be treated like a piece of non existent dirt when I save their bloody lives?

Nope, not that either.

So really... What Lucy and you all have taught me is life is far to short to stay somewhere where I will never be accepted no matter what I do and all because I don't have olive skin, am not dependent on a man and am a Foreigner - a woman to boot...

Well good for them. They have each other.

Me? It's time to have family and friends of my own. You've all taught me it's something I can no longer do without, and, I thank Lucy for being the catalyst, and you all for showing me just how human kindness and care and love can change a heart.
peace

edit on 19-4-2011 by silo13 because: peace

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

If you are looking for a location where the people are not too established then you might want to consider the American West. It is rapidly expanding and you have people of every race, religion, and background living there with some of the highest rates of freedom this country (USA) has to offer. I live in Florida and would not recommend it here. But the West has a relatively low unemployment rate (excluding pacific coast) and exceptionally high standard of living.

But that is a shame how they treat you there just because you are a single woman who is not a native to the local area. I can understand wanting to preserve the local region from foreigners but should one move in you don’t treat them like dirt, which is inexcusable. Just know that no matter where you are in this world you will have friends right here on ATS.

Also might I ask what was your final decision in regards to the pit bull puppy?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Heaps of single women in Adelaide (including myself). Fairly affordable and white people the average but there are a lot of people from all races from around the world and we all get along very well. If you are originally from the USA, well then you would be in good company here as a few of my friends have migrated from USA. Mild winters and hot summers but we are surrounded by beaches to cool off in and where most people hang out in summer (well there and the pub)...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Thanks for the info on the US West. I was thinking Idaho believe it or not, lol. I hear the hunting is great and I love to hunt. But Australia is sounding mighty fine too. Of course wherever I go I'll be walking with paper cup in hand, lol, hand outstretched, but that doesn't bother me in the least as I'm not afraid of good hard work.

About the puppy. I like you and many others here really believed at first it was Lucy saying - 'Look Mom, ya gave me a good home and now here's this little puppy right at this very moment who needs a home too!' Well yeah, it's almost like I could hear her little voice.

So sure, if the people want to give me the pup that's all fine and good and from there I'll see what happens.

Honestly? I don't think I'll ever hear from them again.

I believe their heart was in the right place at the moment - puppy needs home, girl losses her puppy, etc. But here? Where money is so tight and people are so tight (I don't mean that in a bad way money here is disgustingly scarce) - What I'm saying is I kind of think what's going to happen is someone who knows them is going to offer them money for that pup and that's where she'll end up.

Someone will say 'You've got to be kidding me you're going to give it to a foreigner?.

Maybe that's in part why I so shied away in the first place. If they'd of handed it over at the moment it would have been a different thing, but a week later? Hmmm....

But, we'll see and I'll keep you updated. She is a gorgeous little puppy there is no doubt, and like I said before, I'm not immune to puppies, who could be? Maybe I'm just guarding my heart against a 'good thing' here - when a 'good thing' here has never happened. Well, other than being front and center when the volcano explodes and being able to produce some pics for ATS, lol.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Funny you mention Idaho because that is where I would like to visit, maybe even relocate permanently to. 86% of its energy usage is from natural sources, has vast forests and mountains, right next to Yellowstone but on the West side of it, not too many people, and the weather is great for that part of the country. January is about 2/-4C and July is about 32/17C. As for Australia I have never been but I hear the country is amazing and it also has the second highest standard of living in the world.

If you are interested in hard work and not government handouts, limited government interference in your personal life, and a place where Western immigrants are acceptable very easily then the western US is the place.

In regards to that puppy, like you said it may have been a thing at the moment but they talked it over with other people and they talked them out of it. Who knows right now. But if they do call you back then you will be accepting the puppy, I presume?

Here are some pics I found on Wiki of Idaho.

upload.wikimedia.org...
upload.wikimedia.org...
upload.wikimedia.org...
upload.wikimedia.org...
upload.wikimedia.org...

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join