It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to know who really monitors your internet activity?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Thanks for sharing that information Ahmose. I really appreciate it.
Thats the first time I have heard it put publicly into the judicial system.

peace,
Novatrino

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Novatrino

Actually it was Leonard Kleinrock who wrote about the idea of a "internet" and it was the Massachusetts Institute of Technology team that created ARPANET . The militry saw the advantage and quickly brought it out, but the concept is still open source.

Anyways all i'm trying to say is as far as we (the general public) know Echelon would not be capable of doing what some say it does. I think it's more of a government scare tactic to restrict how open the internet has become, sure it can root some keywords, but not from everything, your looking at phone calls, Emails, and maybe sms.
edit on 11-4-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I had no idea, thanks for the heads up!!

I did come across on this in regard to IE9 -

IE9 - Tracking Protection

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e36be390c820.jpg[/atsimg]

What is Tracking Protection?: Tracking Protection gives users the ability to control what third-party site content can track them when they are online. The user uses lists called Tracking Protection List which contains web addresses (Google.com for example) that the browser will be allowed to visit only if the user visits them directly by clicking on a link or typing the address. By limiting the calls to the websites and resources from the current web page and from other web pages, the Tracking Protection List limits the information these other sites can collect about you.

What is InPrivate Filtering/Blocking and InPrivate Browsing Mode?: InPrivate Blocking is used to give the user the option of choosing what information to share as well as allowing you to block sites and content, such as ads. When InPrivate Browsing is enabled cookies are not stored, existing cookies can still be read, new history entries are not stored, form data is not stored and temporary internet files are deleted after InPrivate Browsing is closed. With the release of IE9 RC, InPrivate Filtering is no longer available and Tracking Protection List have taken its place.

Source / Full Article

Hope that helps

edit on 11-4-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Thanks for the link Nobama I am reading it right now. I notice there seems to be different versions of the story of how the net was created. I am not arguing with you, What I read though was that the net was first a military intranet for quick communications. Thats what I have read but I could very well be wrong. Regarding the ability of recording info I will leave as is, since it includes family.

peace,
Novatrino

I really respect your skepticism. I am not being sarcastic. I enjoy it because I will read it and learn more as well. Seems to be a lot of new members that are not skeptical much at all lately. It is kinda creeping me out a little bit actually

edit on 11-4-2011 by Novatrino because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Novatrino
reply to post by Ahmose

Thanks for sharing that information Ahmose. I really appreciate it.
Thats the first time I have heard it put publicly into the judicial system.

peace,
Novatrino

No prob my friend.
I remember 2 of them being talked about..
One was a girl/woman accusing a guy of breaking into her house and 'raping her'..
To make a long story short...
The guy said that there were IM's between them that would prove she was lying, if they could only access them.
2 hours later they had said IM's ready and printed in the court room...
and the girl was indeed lying, and prosecuted.

The other was something that had to do with drug dealers,
who denied any kind of involvement with drugs at all...
But when someone walked into the court room with a stack of papers..
It was clear that both gentlemen had been talking about EVERYTHING they did, through their IM's and emails and text messages.

Durp!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Novatrino

thanks
, I know what you mean,the skepticism is what to me drives this site, and when you get alot of trolls, and people posting garbage you start to lose the whole meaning of this site.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

that's crazy stuff, as for that first one that dude lucked out, I know two college douches that have been accused and arrested of alleged rape between this girl who was lying out her ass.

tldr: herpaderp our government has us under control and soon the internet will be nothing more than garbage like television and mainstream.

[Not Including the real internet.]

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Thank God for Deep Web. I remember downloading from bbs sites and waiting a day to receive a 2 meg file

with my top of the line 1200 baud rate modem

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Very interesting Dave!

I was conducting research into private security firms back in 2008 when I heard a piece of information that really got my head spinning.

I had heard already about a big lawsuit against AT&T from a year or two prior in which they were helping other companies conduct domestic intelligence gathering at airports across the country. In those airports, a combination of personnel, probably from multiple companies, would be given a single room in which they could moniter all internet traffic. When they would find anything interesting they would forward it to the appropriate government agency to be looked at closer.

NSA Spying FAQ: Electronic Frontier Foundation

Shortly after the initial revelations, a whistleblower named Mark Klein came forward with evidence describing the specific AT&T facilities, including one on Folsom Street in San Francisco, where the handoff of customer communications is occurring. Mr. Klein's evidence confirmed what was already indicated by numerous newspaper reports and Congressional admissions — that the NSA is intercepting and analyzing millions of ordinary Americans' communications, with the help of the country's largest phone and Internet companies. EFF has brought two lawsuits to stop this illegal surveillance.

It is, of coarse, unknown how many people were spied on or how much data they were able to get on average citizens but the idea that it could be happening to me got me looking into the situation a little bit deeper.

I was conducting research into Blackwater shortly after there was news of the company being involved in killing innocent civilians (most of you probably remember that being all over the news). The dilemma was that private security firms like Blackwater sign these contracts and noone knew how to hold them accountable if anything like this were to ever happen. Up until that point, the situation was "It's never happened before, why should we worry about it?" But then it did happen and the country decided to hold them accountable after digging a little deeper into what happened.

However, there is still an immense grey area in which private contractors are given an extremely long leash. The UCMJ need not apply, they're private companies. Prior to the incident involving Civilians, there wasn't even a hint that these companies would have any legal accountability should things get ugly. I imagine it wasn't even included in their contracts back then.

As it turns out, in 2008 the government allowed Blackwater to bid on lucrative domestic intelligence gathering contracts under the guise of Blackwater's new sister company "Total Intelligence Solutions". The majority of the nation had no idea this ever happened, due in part to the miniscule media coverage. So, even though Blackwater was involved in an immense scandal the government still granted them the ability to expand into other areas and make ALOT more money.

The government probably requires a certain level of encryption/security when private domestic intelligence is involved. But I got to thinking about what would happen in the case that information were to be stolen or otherwise "misplaced". Were the government to be involved, people would be more likely to be held accountable and/or lose their jobs. But would companies like Blackwater be held at that same standard? And what would happen if they were found doing something "illegal"? Would it even be considered "illegal" given the nature of their federal contract?

Plus, make no doubt about it. The ability to "legally" conduct domestic intelligence gathering through high-dollar government contracts is POWER in a big way. It equates to the government trusting your firm to develop complex tools/software, mine the data, detect patterns, or simply moniter domestic internet traffic directly. It also means the government trusts your firm to coordinate intelligence gathering techniques on American citizens and work directly with agencies like the NSA, FBI, CIA, etc..

In February 2007, Blackwater created their first sister Intelligence company to provide intelligence gathering services to "commerical clients". See story HERE. The new company was called "Total Intelligence" aka "Total Intelligence Solutions".

In July 2008, a news story was published entitled "Scahill: Blackwater now in the private intelligence business relating to Jeremy Scahill's new book about Blackwater.

"Blackwater started a private intelligence company," he explained, "a private CIA essentially, called Total Intelligence Solutions. And the man running Total Intelligence Solutions is J. Cofer Black. He's a thirty-year veteran of the Central Intelligence Agency. He also was the guy who ran the CIA's extraordinary rendition program, the government-sanctioned kidnap-and-torture program."

"His thirty-year CIA career, his network of contacts, his knowledge that was gained through his work in the most sensitive areas of the United States government is now on the open market for hire," Scahill said sadly.

Now, what I've heard is that, technically, it is illegal for the CIA to conduct domestic intelligence gathering at all unless it involves foreign nationals in the USA. The FBI can legally conduct domestic intelligence gathering pertaining to investigations/cases and the protection of government officials. But the only way for the government to really see what the average joe six-pack is up to is to farm it out to a private company and give them an extremely long leash to do so.

That is a dangerous way of doing business. It means the government found a way of working around the constitution to spy on you, me, and everyone else out there if a technician from Blackwater or some other company deems it "necessary". And in the meantime, the government can avoid all legal accountability. It would be the private firm that would be held liable if they were to lose information, have it stolen from them, or be found doing things that are completely illegal in the first place. Only, there's no clear way of how they would be held accountable or if they even could be to begin with.

Then I heard about the possibility that Norton, the popular internet security firm, was somehow involved with domestic intelligence as well. Due, mainly, to this ATS thread which immediately exposed what they were up to.. This was ATS at its finest, IMO.

SCI: Tech Fears Arise Over Norton and Pifts.exe

I found the thread extremely interesting not only because of the "creepy" file but because of how Norton handled the public dismay about it. Especially when they started deleting discussions about "Pifts.exe" in their forums. Norton has come forward to apologize about it and such.. But it goes to show who we should really trust out there. It could be that all internet security suites have hidden files/programs that at the very least have the capability of monitering our internet traffic. These companies can sit there and say they have an honest explanation for it too (software improvement, etc..).

-ChriS
edit on 11-4-2011 by BlasteR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

One thing you can do to help keep your computer clean from active tracker and malware is to download a Linux ISO, burn it to disc, and do a live boot. This will give you a functional Linux desktop in a matter of minutes which is entirely loaded into RAM. the best part is that when you shutdown everything is gone because nothing is written to disc. this is the single easiest way to ensure your computer is the malware free on startup, like before online banking, and does not retain any nasty tracking cookies.

Now, this doesn't prevent them from gathering realtime info. It does help prevent it from being accurate and does prevent it from infecting your computer.
edit on 11-4-2011 by Tonosama because: typo

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by gdaub23
do these still apply if I use a wi-fi connection that I pick up free? or is it used for those who actuallly have their own connection? just curios and dont know mucjh about ip addresses and how things work on the internet...

yes it does, the type of connection doesn't really matter as other, client based tricks are being used.

btw. Ghostery can do more than just alerting you: I'm using it to block all monitors (running on Safari, Mac OS).
I'm also using DNS-servers that weren't provided by my ISP (as over here they tend to block websites by using the 127.0.0.1 trick),
I'm running Hotshield, a nifty piece of software that steals an IP-number, hiding my actual location.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by GodIsPissed
Who cares if they're watching us online?

Just give them something to look at and laugh at it!

I for one do care

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Thanks Dave for a very informative thread. I had no idea just how many advertising companies were collecting my data when viewing online
. Perhaps as a follow up to this thread you could start another with ways to combat this type of intrusion.

Star and Flag - deserved

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I use an excellent program and I recommend this to ATS users.

Peer Block

This program will show you in real-time all of the IP's it is blocking. You can download lists so .edu, .gov or even whole countries IP's are blocked.

Excellent program, for those that appreciate internet freedom and privacy.

For those that decide to use this program here is another website with hundreds of list you can add to it to block, I would not recommend adding too much or you will hardly be able to browse anything :-)

IP Block List

-Kdial1
edit on 11-4-2011 by kdial1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I’m involved in the media industry and this is defiantly nothing new to me, having designed numerous websites i can safely say this has been going on for years with the public being completely unaware about it.

CCleaner will do jack & squat. Sure, it will tidy up your PC & cookies but it will not change all the advertisements being shown while browsing web pages.

How To Obtain A New IP Address:

Start > Run > Type: "CMD" > Type :"IPConfig"

Start > Run > Type: "CMD" > Type: "IPConfig/ReleaseAll"

Start > Run > Type: "CMD" > Type: "IPConfig/RenewAll"

This will release your current IP and provide you with a new one.

Think of it as a fresh start to internet browsing.

Please Note:
Some ISP's do not allow IP Renewals. It may simply revert to the same IP. I accept no responsibility for loss or damage by following the above steps. I am simply providing you with information that i use myself and have found to be accurate.

edit on 11/4/11 by TristanC because: Spelling Corrections...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TristanC

Very interesting post,

With regards your disclaimer, can you perhaps give some details of what loss might/can happen in following this procedure, what is the worst & best case scenario's?

Thanks

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
This is nothing new. How do you think that pop up adds are always relevant to you? Because they compile your data and actually build a personal portfolio on you. Its so ridiculous. Google pass on all this info about us and they say that well if a person uses their site then they are consenting to letting this happen. How can that be if they havent made you aware of it at least?!?!?!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Read my location.

This thread proves it.

We have a country that is run and controlled by corporations and not the people.

How did this happen?

How did Rome fall?

The people grew, lazy, compliant, greedy and decadent

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Every single day I do a full system scan on my computer, and every single day I find at least 7 tracking cookies.So this doesn't surprise me. Thanks for the explanation OP, Stagged you. I understand the nature of the beast a little better now!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
cia monitors facebook

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join