It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to know who really monitors your internet activity?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Thanks a lot! I will try it. As for windows, I wish I could stop using it, but then most programs won't work...That's a problem, they are made for windows...

I personally stopped using Internet Explorer and Google. Instead I am using Mozilla Firefox and Scroogle
I love Scroogle. Every time you go to Scroogle scraper it has something funny and far from being nice about google lol
It's scroogle.org try it, guys

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Ah, yea you could easily use a RAT or something and gain access to ones computer, but these companies aren't doing this (yet.....)

You sound like a Linux fan
could I ask what flavor your running (if any?)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by Ahmose

Yup, if it wasn't slow I would switch over and use the bundle as my daily browser. It makes for very good "blanket" protection.

That's one thing I noticed,
I've used this tor bundle on a couple windows machines in the past..
and it was painfully slow on each..

Yet,
When I use it on my Ubuntu machines...
it really is not much slower than my normal firefox or chromium browsers.

You sound like a Linux fan could I ask what flavor your running (if any?)

Debian and Ubuntu are my favorites..
But Ubuntu is what I use daily.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by j2000

Originally posted by Daughter2
Well, what ever ad agency abovetopsecret uses, certainly uses tracking cookies.

I was buying bras once and the next thing I know I'm seeing the exact same bra on abovetopsecret!

Talk about no privacy!

This site is one of the worst for this type of thing. Yahoo will sometimes do this too but not as much as this site.

I get ads on here for everything I buy online.

I use SuperAntivirus software free version and clean that all out once a week. I can turn it on full time to block, but I don't like that either.
edit on 10-4-2011 by j2000 because: add more

I had the same thing. I was on ebay and Amazon looking for some camping stuff and when I visited this site...
all my stuff is right here advertised. I was not happy at all. That's what made me switch to Firefox.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by quitesane

Of course there's the open source alternative to these programs that can be found in most linux flavors, that well lets be honest are always better.

And if you cant find the program you can still emulate it with Play4free or Wine

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by quitesane
reply to post by Ahmose

Thanks a lot! I will try it. As for windows, I wish I could stop using it, but then most programs won't work...That's a problem, they are made for windows...

I personally stopped using Internet Explorer and Google. Instead I am using Mozilla Firefox and Scroogle
I love Scroogle. Every time you go to Scroogle scraper it has something funny and far from being nice about google lol
It's scroogle.org try it, guys

No Problem.

What programs for windows do you use that you are dependent upon?
Like, Which programs for windows do you use that you absolutely need for your everyday needs/work?

Are there certain programs that you *need* to run, , say.. for work, school, etc?

If not..
You could stop using windows and still have access to any kind of program you could fathom!

IE sucks big time..
Good idea to stop using that.

As for scroogle...
Last I heard they were not going to be running anymore?
Guess that was a year or two ago though, So maybe they came back to life. lol

"Start page" is also a decent search engine, that doesnt log your searches and info.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

stop steeling internet service.
it's people like you who screw everything up for others.
and for those who don't secure their wifi service do it now and stop thieves.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

*loads up aircrack*

or

*runs backtrack from flashdrive*
edit on 10-4-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

reply to post by hounddoghowlie

*loads up aircrack*

or

*runs backtrack from flashdrive*

haha! Right.

Secure your wireless all you want...
If I, (or anyone else), really wants/needs your connection..
We will get it and use it, without too much effort. lol

Though I do provide my neighbors (the cool ones) with the free and friendly service of letting them know that anyone can access anything they can access on their wireless network, and that they should secure it. lol

But still..
if people don't care enough to secure their data, even after knowing what can happen..
It is their bad.. and their connection is "up for grabs". (as well as any info they provide while online).

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Echelon records all of this data. Its a global network of super computers all around the globe to gather and store information from all network locations all the time. It is a self learning computer system as well. Thats all I can really say about it :|

peace,
Novatrino

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

I hear people say Hackers are always ahead of the White Hats when it comes to software and hacking, but it still makes me wonder what the government has and is capable of doing, they have a kill switch to turn off all of Americas services at any given moment after all.
so you know they've had to cut deals with some of the more mainstream companies out there (Google,Apple,Microsoft, Amazon, etc) there's really no telling whats in those cookies you receive and now with the release of HTML5, there's so many new ways to spy on someone.

link   
reply to post by Novatrino

Yeah Eagle Eye, wasn't that great

link   
reply to post by davespanners

A MUCH needed basic primer.

Thanks. S&F&

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I think someone posted about peerblock www.peerblock.com... already which is very usefull for blocking malicious ip addresses especially when downloading torrents. Another good source to help secure torrent downloading is winmx: www.winmxworld.com... Another good one is openDNS www.opendns.com... You enter this DNS into your router instead of using your ISP DNS service and it helps to filter out bad IP addresses bad websites and phishing scams. Do you know what phishing is? phishing is a scam where the perpetrator sends out legitimate-looking e-mails appearing to come from some of the Web's biggest sites, including eBay, PayPal, MSN, CitiBank, Yahoo and America Online, in an effort to phish for personal and financial information from the recipient. They can also redirect you say when you try to log into your bank account instead they redirect you to a website that looks almost exactly the same so you can enter your info so they can steal it. Turn off autorun if you use windows since this is a common area for hackers to put programs to spy on you and steal your info. Can you spot a phishing attack? Heres 3 different sites where you can see if you can: www.sonicwall.com... www.wombatsecurity.com... www.wombatsecurity.com... Never open spam its just a hacker. On most spam and even a lot of websites people insert web bugs which is a transparent 1x1 pixel gif image that you cant see that phones home and reports information on you. You can set your email to only display in plain text to thwart this. Im not sure what to do about it on websites except watch what websites you go to. You can use site advisor to help you determine whats safe and whats not www.siteadvisor.com... by the way every link to software I give is free. You don’t want to be a zombie. This is when a Trojan or other malicious software has created a backdoor for a hacker to get in. what they do is take control of your computer so they can use it for nefarious deeds, after they’ve stolen any info of course. 99% of people who are zombies in a botnet never know it. A botnet is where a hacker has control of thousands or hundreds of thousands of computers. What can you do? Try this: free.antivirus.com... you can also try bot hunter developed by the U.S. army: www.bothunter.net... you can also sniff your network for unauthorized activity with: www.wireshark.org... , if Wireshark unearths something troubling and you want to research it on your own, check out TCPView: technet.microsoft.com... as for your copier the best you can do that I know of is make sure its behind a firewall (such as a router) as it has memory and a cpu and can be hacked. You think you have nothing on your computer but what documents have you copied on your printer? Theres no antivirus/antimalware on your printer. If you need to not be traced (not totally untraceable but pretty close) use TOR www.torproject.org... and if you use TOR use Vidalia www.torproject.org... tor bounces your signal off various networks and machines until it becomes very difficult to trace you. This is how hackers don’t get caught they route themselves through multiple connections before arriving at there target. Still worried about being detected? Try freenet: freenetproject.org... a ggood client to use with freenet is frost: jtcfrost.sourceforge.net... ive got lots more tips but I gota go eat dinner, stay safe out there!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tetsu

holy wall of text batman
but he did put alot of useful information there

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I do not understand what you are talking about. You seem to say that a movie is where I received my information.
That is just assumption. I have not even seen the movie. Do not put words in my mouth please.

peace,
Novatrino

Actually all you need to do is type echelon in a search engine. Or these sources.

Echelon

Echelon Reicever Array

edit on 10-4-2011 by Novatrino because: added more

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Yea okay that was unfair, it's just this claim that they use Echelon to secretly monitor us is silly, sure they use it to root out keywords to spot terrorist and yadda yadda, but it's not tracking any of the countless protocols we use to interact daily, it would be impossible to log and filter out keywords from sms,mms,irc,ssh,ftp,phone calls,html,ims,telnet,etc,etc simultaneously

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I know what Echelon is
I also know what its not..

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Novatrino

I do not understand what you are talking about. You seem to say that a movie is where I received my information.
That is just assumption. I have not even seen the movie. Do not put words in my mouth please.

peace,
Novatrino

Actually all you need to do is type echelon in a search engine. Or these sources.

Echelon

Echelon Reicever Array

edit on 10-4-2011 by Novatrino because: added more

My dad who is a judge has mentioned "echelon" a couple times.
Mostly when telling me about cases in which the court had to access peoples instant messages/IM's.PMs for different things.

He told me (this was a few years ago) , that every instant message thrown around the internet is kept and stored for at least 7 years.
I replied to that.. "How the hell can they gather/keep/store soo much data/info?"..
and I think that was the first time I heard him mention "echelon".

Never seen 'eagle eye' myself.
Might have to check it out.
lol

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Yea okay that was unfair, it's just this claim that they use Echelon to secretly monitor us is silly, sure they use it to root out keywords to spot terrorist and yadda yadda, but it's not tracking any of the countless protocols we use to interact daily, it would be impossible to log and filter out keywords from sms,mms,irc,ssh,ftp,phone calls,html,ims,telnet,etc,etc simultaneously

What makes you so sure that they do not have the ability to do so this? They are the ones who created the tech in the first place. Military Rule #1 , do not release any technology which you are not able to control or defend against.
As well why would their computers not be capable of completing this task? They use modular cpu matrix systems.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join