It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those who know a thing or two about hockey

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I wonder how many different angles the war room in Toronto have of this one? It would be great to see all the angles.

I think the puck might of been redirected off the goalie stick.

It looks like the puck went over the top of the right pad, it may have even made some contact with the pad, then either made contact with bottom of the blocker or no contact at all with the blocker before catching a piece of the goalie stick and being redirected out.

Game of inches at its best.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
IMO

The puck had spin, the puck hit a slight grove in the ice and the pucks spin caused it to come off at a new angle.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

That's interesting. It's still obvious to me that the major change in direction occurs when the puck hits the ice, but it does seem as though it redirects off the stick. Originally I was just thinking redirection off the pad, as I still don't see where the puck ever contacts the skate (It's a wonder to me how that was the conclusion of the supposed thread this was previously posted in). Rewatching the video though, I see that it likely deflects downward off the stick, possibly giving the puck the necessary end-over-end "knuckle" to make such a miraculous bounce more plausible.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nebulous1973
The one thing I know about hockey,baseball,basketball,football ect is it is nothing more then something to keep the masses occupied ,anything that was respectable about sports is gone.Sports are for dumb meat heads sorry its the truth..if you like sports you are only reacting to your indoctrination like a good slave. And to those that don't like that being said about sports fans know this..I don't care. I don't care what your reply will be, I don't care what your opinion or reasoning is, I don't care if you think I'm a troll, and don't even try the "you're a moron man these athletes are trained blah blah shaddup just save it and go watch your espn like good sheep.

Wow! Why would you bother opening the thread when it say's " For those who know a thing or two about HOCKEY?" And then you insult us who enjoy sports? You need a hug brah?

Nice vid OP, I can't call it but Boston Bruins FTW!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
To be honest I can care less about the video.....I'm just here to watch JonoEnglish self destruct.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptSplatter
To be honest I can care less about the video.....I'm just here to watch JonoEnglish self destruct.

Actually that's quite mean....lots of hate filled spew sent to you.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by scojak

It hits the shaft of his stick as his makes his saving motion out and up wit his right arm. The long/shaft pat of the upper stick then goes behind him and this is when the puck hits it as his save motion is up but the upper thin portion of the stick actually hits it back like a baseball to a bat...

That is why there is sudden change of direction that still maintains a high velocity..

I think....Well that is my theory anyways.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
You know what ignore the rant....

Sorry I picked this hockey thread....dam previous post link

I should of started a new one but that would of got me some points before I got a ban at least.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Damn...I came back for an impending meltdown, did I miss it?

The more I watch that video OP, the more I think it must have caught some good English and a groove in the ice.
edit on 3/25/2011 by BLKMJK because: (sp)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by scojak
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

Rewatching the video though, I see that it likely deflects downward off the stick, possibly giving the puck the necessary end-over-end "knuckle" to make such a miraculous bounce more plausible.

Agreed,

The puck can take some strange bounces, especially when it has a little help.

I cant tell if the puck just gets a piece of the stick, or if it was a combination of the puck hitting the stick along with Quick incidentally spiking the puck downward with the stick at just the right time while going through the natural save motion.

I would like to see the net camera, this would help us determine if the puck made contact with the stick or not.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
i love Hockey. I am a SHARKS fan. Before that i was a SEALS fan. Having played Hockey, i can tell you this. The puck will do some crazy things sometimes. It all depends on the warmth of the puck, the condition of the Ice, how long the puck has been in play. You add those factors and then speed from a slapshot, you got perfect cahos. It looks like the shot deflects off the Goalies skate, shimmies abit, and lands on side at an angle. Then makeing it roll across the crease. Gr8 video. Go SHARKS

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by scojak
For those who know a thing or two about hockey, you know it takes a bit of effort to change the direction of a hockey puck. A puck is a solid 3 inch diameter by 1 inch wide disc of vulcanized rubber that weighs over a third of a pound (5.5-6 oz). For such an object to make a thirty degree change solely from contact with the ice is all but impossible. All I could think of is that it perfectly hit a groove in the ice while bouncing on edge, except there doesn't seem to be any inconsistency in the ice large enough to cause such a reaction. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting video.

Come on guys it def. missed his skate
by a mile.
look at the replay that starts 20 seconds in you can see the puck actually change direction three times.
I would say the ice is a little rough in front of the net and it is just bouncing off creases in the ice

I have seen 90 degree bounces from this...
oh yea GO PENS!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
looking at it a few times it looks like the puck is not actually flat on the ice. IMO two factors are causing this to happen. one if you look at the ice where it makes the miracle turn it is pretty white compared to the rest. it is entirely possible to have a build up of ice shavings in that spot. i wouldnt even be surprised if that's a trick goalies use shaving ice with their skates and piling it up to change the pucks path or slow it up. it could be a sneaky trick like when baseball pitchers used Vaseline for curveballs or people corked bats.

then with the ice being uneven at that point i believe the puck came in at a weird angle and hit the shaved ice and took a weird bounce.

i have to admit though it looks pretty cool and creepy at first.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join