It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those who know a thing or two about hockey

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
For those who know a thing or two about hockey, you know it takes a bit of effort to change the direction of a hockey puck. A puck is a solid 3 inch diameter by 1 inch wide disc of vulcanized rubber that weighs over a third of a pound (5.5-6 oz). For such an object to make a thirty degree change solely from contact with the ice is all but impossible. All I could think of is that it perfectly hit a groove in the ice while bouncing on edge, except there doesn't seem to be any inconsistency in the ice large enough to cause such a reaction. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting video.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
It bounced off his skate really fast but it was a nice save none the less

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I know EVERYTHING about hockey.
You wear ice skates and beat the hell out of your opponent, until you hit the ice.
Then you gotta stop.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Pretty cool video.
It does kinda look like the puck lands on its edge and rolls a bit, but I cant really tell. Its hard to see the angle.
Either way, pretty amazing.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
You just suckered every Canadian ATS member into viewing this thread.

Funniest part is?... I am WEARING my Jerome Iginla jersey right now! haha. Honest!

Yes I do live in Calgary and am aware despite there gain of 52 points out of a possible 65 the last 3 months, we may not make the play offs [again].

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
There was already a thread about this on here and the cause of the puck switching directions was that it hit the goalie's right ice skate and bounced off at a 90 degree angle considering the way the goalie's ice skate was positioned.

/Thread

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I see the bounce.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skate
There was already a thread about this on here and the cause of the puck switching directions was that it hit the goalie's right ice skate and bounced off at a 90 degree angle considering the way the goalie's ice skate was positioned.

/Thread

Weird, I didn't know the goalie's skate was actually two-three feet away from where you actually see it in the video. Perhaps you could post a link to this thread with such compelling evidence?

Edit to add:
BTW, there is a HUGE difference in a puck deflecting off a skate, and the puck changing direction from contact with the ice. One has a ton of friction, the other has almost none. Like I said, "For those who know a thing or two about hockey."
edit on 3/25/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
the puck is going in for sure, it then changes direction, maybe i am missing something, but from the overhead the puck is going on a consistant path then chages and is nowhere near the skates of the goal tender when it does.

maybe a chip in the ice like others have said, but i am not seeing it hit a skate at the point it changes direction.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Not just Canadian!
I totally watched this and I am in Oz

Man I love Hockey

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I tried for the Durham Wasps in the uk, it went very badly.

Love the game, not played much over here in the UK. we mainly see it on yoou tube fails.
edit on 25-3-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
yea, nice save.. but no magic. it just redirects from his skate.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
The one thing I know about hockey,baseball,basketball,football ect is it is nothing more then something to keep the masses occupied ,anything that was respectable about sports is gone.Sports are for dumb meat heads sorry its the truth..if you like sports you are only reacting to your indoctrination like a good slave. And to those that don't like that being said about sports fans know this..I don't care. I don't care what your reply will be, I don't care what your opinion or reasoning is, I don't care if you think I'm a troll, and don't even try the "you're a moron man these athletes are trained blah blah shaddup just save it and go watch your espn like good sheep.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nebulous1973
The one thing I know about hockey,baseball,basketball,football ect is it is nothing more then something to keep the masses occupied ,anything that was respectable about sports is gone.Sports are for dumb meat heads sorry its the truth..if you like sports you are only reacting to your indoctrination like a good slave. And to those that don't like that being said about sports fans know this..I don't care. I don't care what your reply will be, I don't care what your opinion or reasoning is, I don't care if you think I'm a troll, and don't even try the "you're a moron man these athletes are trained blah blah shaddup just save it and go watch your espn like good sheep.

Wow, you must have been miserable as a kid...For those fortunate enough to have played sports a children, teens and/or adults, we know that these are entertaining forms of physical exercise which believe it or not is healthy. 99.9% of people who play a sport don't play on TV or for the entertainment of "sheep". They play because it's fun. Are you really so depressed that you have to come on here only to create a post like this?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AxcidnKC

where? are people watching the slowed down overhead and taking notice of WHEN the puck changes direction?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AxcidnKC
yea, nice save.. but no magic. it just redirects from his skate.

If it had redirected from his skate, it would have changed direction as soon as it contacted his skate. It may have done this, but I'm talking about the point at which it redirects due to contact with the ice.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
The Puck hits the goalies pad or skate and increases the rate the puck is already spinning at but also changes the pucks initial path. Goalies always carve up the crease for a few reasons, but the biggest is to limit the amount they slide while making saves so as to not take them too far out of position. Now the puck changed direction, and its spin increased but the puck was still off the ice. The strange change of direction is caused as the puck makes contact with a groove and the spin causes the puck to ride the groove changing the direction it was traveling.
edit on 25-3-2011 by 5StarOracle because: .

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by scojak

The puck does not do that redirection from hitting his skate or the butt end of his stick. It's too low to have hit the stick, and as was previously mentioned, is a good 2 feet from his skate.

What appears to happen is that the puck is slightly air-born. When he makes the save, it picks up some rotation (or a lot) and hits the ice on its edge and catches causing it to go off at an angle. You can see that it is elevated in one of the side shots. I'm fairly certain this is what happens. It's a rare thing, but it does happen.

Edit: 5StarOracle apparently just beat me with almost the exact same explanation. Well done, sir.

edit on 25-3-2011 by relapz because: same post as above.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

reply to post by relapz

Thank you. I completely agree that this is a plausible explanation for what happens. It's a one in a million coincidence, especially considering the point of impact has no visible groove and it's not like pucks have a really sharp corner, but it's plausible none the less. I just can't believe people are so quick to say this was a deflection off the skate when the skate is two feet away.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
There can be many different explanations of why this happened although I go with the bounce off the skate.

A couple more possibilities could be the rotation of the puck had enough traction to make the puck change direction. Or if anyone here has played hockey you know that sharp turns make deep grooves in the ice that affect puck travel. That's why the refinish the ice after every period.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join