It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple under fire for 'gay conversion' app

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
reply to post by Dilligaf28

Reverse that statement. Would YOU ever actively seek out a heterosexual to homosexual conversion app?

I personally wouldn't, but I'm sure there are some straight guys who would. Apparently there are gay guys who want to be straight. Who is anyone to say people shouldn't have a choice? If people want to "change teams" who cares? That is an individual's choice.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Alan Turing is not happy with your Shenanigans.

He told me that he is going to take back the computer if you do not stop screwing around making apps that mimic the torture that he was forced to endure which led to his suicide.

I would listen if I were yall, I do not want to lose my computer privileges, do you?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by woghd

You know what? I will give you that some homosexuals want to be straight. But the truth is they never can be. I want to be tall but I can't, I'm average height and there is nothing I can do to change it.

Apps like this promote something that is completely unattainable and when the individuals who have downloaded it and tried realize it, they ended up in a worse place than where they started.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

reply to post by woghd

You know what? I will give you that some homosexuals want to be straight. But the truth is they never can be. I want to be tall but I can't, I'm average height and there is nothing I can do to change it.

Apps like this promote something that is completely unattainable and when the individuals who have downloaded it and tried realize it, they ended up in a worse place than where they started.

Do you have any proof of these claims? Any hard science that suggests that one cannot change their sexual orientation? maybe a link or two? Because I have personally seen many people do just that. You are now saying that this App is somehow dangerous. That's a pretty hefty charge to throw around without proof. I'm just sayin'

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
if it was the other way around, (heterosexual ->homosexual) then no one would care. I'd even venture to say that it would be really popular. Why is our society so backwards??

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by woghd

The APA (American Psychology Association) views conversion therapy as dangerous and compromises the mental stability of the patient's going through it.

When gays were 'cured'

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish
if it was the other way around, (heterosexual ->homosexual) then no one would care. I'd even venture to say that it would be really popular. Why is our society so backwards??

I don't understand why some people are getting so bent out of shape about this. It's just a goofy app.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by woghd

Yeah, I don't understand why people get so upset with the KKK, I mean, they just wear silly hats.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

I know what I am about to say to you may sound somewhat inflammatory and I will ask your forgiveness in advance should what I say offend you at a level outside of this discussion.

Your statement is as much of a baseless opinion as some of the more vibrant statements in this thread regarding both the app and the nature of homosexuality in general. It is arrogant presumption on your part to assume that there are no homosexuals whom desire a heterosexual lifestyle.

I am not defending the creators of the app, the proponents, the opponents, nor am I willing to render opinion on homosexuality. I am stating that this app, via approval by Apple, is equally entitled to be in the app store as apps promoting homosexuality. This app represents, in some small way, Apple managing to offer some form of blending of freedom of speech (which they are not bound to but that is a whole other thread) with corporate responsibility within the app store. They already offer apps that appeal to the majority of homosexuals now they offer this one that appeals to an undoubtedly small but equally undoubtedly existent minority of them.

What it really boils down to are advertising dollars for Apple. Even if its a free app they will still collect add revenue. I wonder just how many people have downloaded this app because of this thread.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

reply to post by woghd

The APA (American Psychology Association) views conversion therapy as dangerous and compromises the mental stability of the patient's going through it.

When gays were 'cured'

Ok, that's a BBC news story. I mean, a few days ago I saw a news story saying that there was nothing dangerous about the Japanese reactors. I don't know if we can count on the news to tell us how dangerous something is. Also, what science says that people cannot change their orientation? There's no gene, and we've mapped the entire genome. Seems like a choice to me. And people should be free to choose to do whatever they like.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by woghd

So you won't accept an article written in 2003 that just sums up what people already know historically? Sounds like you are unwilling to face the facts and just want to live with your fingers in your ears and eyes slammed shut.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

reply to post by woghd

So you won't accept an article written in 2003 that just sums up what people already know historically? Sounds like you are unwilling to face the facts and just want to live with your fingers in your ears and eyes slammed shut.

Why the personal attack? I'm just asking for a little hard science. You seem like a decent guy, maybe a little angry, but when you are making some of the absolutes you have been, you should have something a little more substantial than an 8 year old news blurb. I'm just sayin'
edit on 21-3-2011 by woghd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

You cannot possibly equate the procedures and techniques homosexuals were exposed to in that link to a conversion app on an iPad or iPod. I will explain why I say this. Forced conversion undoubtedly causes psychological harm to someone regardless of what they are being converted to. The brutal, barbaric, and bizarre methodologies employed in that link are prime examples of what would traumatize anyone. An iPad app is not a forced conversion. This app is for someone whom is interested in converting and through virtue of that interest it will not render psychological harm to those that read/use it.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by woghd

Not a personal attack, more like an observation. I don't see how you can so flippantly disregard an article just because it is 8 years old when it describes situations that happened in the 1950s. Unless of course you are implying that between 2003 and now someone unearthed better evidence of what happened back then than what is presented in that article.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

All of the procedures above are apart of an umbrella term used by the APA called conversion therapy, so yes, justifiably the article can be presented in conjunction with this app. Just because you make it less barbaric doesn't make it any less harmful. This one is just not as blatant or in your face as a lobotomy or shock therapy.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

No there is a huge fundamental difference and I will point it out again to you. Forced conversion of any sort is entirely different than voluntary conversion of any sort. It is inappropriate to post links unless about forced conversion techniques unless some existing or new technique is being forced upon homosexuals and that technique is the subject of the thread at hand.

In this thread your link has absolutely no logical bearing. The app is accessed voluntarily by anyone whom wishes to review this information. If this information is being accessed by someone, of their own free will, with a sincere desire for change and they achieve the desired change harm cannot be said to have been done. Anyone not desiring change should logically not download the app. If you have links to studies which show voluntary conversion causes psychological trauma they would be relevant and warrant further discussion.

edit on 21-3-2011 by Dilligaf28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

All of the procedures above are apart of an umbrella term used by the APA called conversion therapy, so yes, justifiably the article can be presented in conjunction with this app. Just because you make it less barbaric doesn't make it any less harmful. This one is just not as blatant or in your face as a lobotomy or shock therapy.

Well now that you have made these comparisons (between an App and these 1930-50s "conversion techniques"), I am afraid that we will have to simply agree to disagree.
Be well.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Not all of the cases above were involuntary or forced. MANY were voluntary. Same results, failure and irrevocable damage.

British Medical Association labels gay conversion therapy harmful, discredited

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I think that a great comparison would be if there were an "African to Caucasian" conversion app. The Blacks would have that app removed quicker than you could say jack rabbit slims and it it wasn't removed, you can probably imagine the poo storm that would be forming off the coastal regions...and by poop storm I mean riots where the Apple stores get looted and burned to the ground.

Imagine if the Apple store was selling a "Convert from being a Jew" app lol. Oh Lawds would there ever be an uproar about that one.

How about a "Convert from Muslim to Catholic" app? Lol yeah right phat chance. Steve Jobs would have 500 people trying to stab him to death.

What is the big deal about liking wieners anyway? I like weiners, cookies, cake, pie, bazzombas, gadonkadonks, you name it I like it! Even sometimes a nice combination of said items.

Religious persecution....THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
If you keep having to debate homosexuality after "billions" of years and STILL have reservations... Unnatural x

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join