It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple under fire for 'gay conversion' app

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I was born straight, and kids aren't born gay. It is mostly hormonal and environmental factors and personal choice that determines your sexual orientation.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
Whats the problem with this app? Because it endeavors to provide steps for an individual to change their lifestyle?

Why is this any different than an app that helps you lose weight?

I didn't know "curing gay people" is in the same way as losing weight. That is an interesting comparison.... nevertheless why are you so uptight about this? Apple, which is a private company, allowed this to go ahead, their decision, and around 72,000 private citizens objected to it. In the end, Apple can still do whatever the hell they want, and those citizens can voice their views and outrage, as freedom of speech grant them. So why take offense at one side which is just using the same right as apple is? Because you disagree with gays, their rights should be criticized? Ok.

edit on 22-3-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Well, what a heated thread this quickly became...here's my 2 cents: As stated, all species can partake in gay sex, mother nature DOESN'T GIVE A CRAP. Mother nature is a mechanism, not a consciousness. And if you believe God is getting angry at you, well you're pretty screwed aren't you?
Get a grip, don't let those morons fill your head with utter crap, remain rational and realize the only ones giving you are hard time are CLOSED MINDED FOOLS.

With that said, I DO NOT have a problem with this app either. Because no doubt there are gay people who would rather be heterosexual, and there could be many possible reasons for their wanting that. This app may just be one potential tool/method for achieving that. Those who are comfortable with their sexuality are clearly just going to ignore this. Yes, it may be potentially insulting for those who think homosexuality isn't a sickness requiring healing; but being a male isn't a sickness either, yet some people wish to change into a female.

reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I was born straight, and kids aren't born gay.
Agreed. Many people will try to claim "oh, you're just born with it".
That's utter crap, kids have no interest in sex AT ALL for a large portion of their childhood.
The formation of their sexual preferences wont come until ages 5 or 6 minimum.

edit on 22-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

[Apple] also banned the "Me So Holy" app which allowed users to paste photographs of themselves over the heads of various religious figures.

So Apple bans an application that pokes fun of religion, presumably because some people might consider it offensive.

But they allow the 'gay conversion' application that is clearly offensive and that thousands have complained about, even though they know it will cause a controversy?

Seems like a double-standard. If they won't remove that application as being offensive, then they should allow ALL offensive applications.

Shame on them for their ridiculous censorship and hypocrisy.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
In my opinion, this topic is not about whether being gay is natural or not, it is about whether or not Apple has the right to censor certain applications under the guise of them being offensive while allowing other applications that are clearly offensive.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Whats wrong with the moderate view that for some its a choice or due to upbringing and others are genetically predisposed or gay-by-nature?

And whats wrong with tolerating the app as well as tolerating the protesters of the app?

What a bunch of fascistoid extremists, on both sides of this fence.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Errr... Am I on the right site? ATS, Deny Ignorance?

Gays are gay due to rape, abuse, poor background etc etc....

At least this has highlighted the truely ignorant on ATS.

It's 2011 people!

Gay, Straight, Bi, Black, White, Yellow, Brown, Tall, Short, Fat, Skinny, Two Arms, One Arms, No Arms, Blind, Deaf, or Ginger. = Human

Grrr...

PS. I'm straight, just have a low tolerance for morons.

edit on 22-3-2011 by dsm1664 because: sp

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

i think this goes so much farther than political correctness. we know, without a doubt, that sexuality is inborn. we know homosexuality isn't a mental illness. we also know that so-called "reparative therapy" doesn't work. we know that gay, lesbian, and bi people who remain in the closet are prone to anxiety and depression. offering this app is akin to selling antifreeze as cough medicine.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by syncelebrity

Nature didn't intend it, nor did god.

Why oh why do you bible thumps never cease getting on your deluded high freaking horses waving your magik god stick at anyone that less ignorant than yourselves ?

So, an invisible man in the sky didn't intend people to act in a way the feel compelled to eh ?

Tell me something pilgrim, how exactly does nature have intention ?

There again please don't bother I think I can do without xtian drivel this morning.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by feanor411

If gay people are offended by it, then they shouldn't buy it. It's pretty much that simple, it is entirely a censorship issue, is the app offensive to some? Yes, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed to be made and distributed.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by Maslo

I was born straight, and kids aren't born gay. It is mostly hormonal and environmental factors and personal choice that determines your sexual orientation.

Hormonal and environmental factors could play a role. But it definately is not personal choice, that is nonsense. Nobody can choose what he is attracted to. You may choose to act on the attraction or not, but that does not make you any less homosexual or straight.
edit on 22/3/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

The problem is that Apple bans apps, the ones that may in anyway effect their bottom line for various reasons, like being offensive, bad taste, copyright etc.

Now here they are allowing an app that is basically garbage, what If there was an app the "cured" "blackness", or "Asianess" would that be allowed? What about an app that CREATED "gayness"?

What if I made an app that proved god doesnt exist? Or to cure you of religious ignorance? Im pretty sure all of those would be considered offensive and removed.

The ironic thing here is of course that Apple products are in and of themselves, "kinda gay!"

IMO opinion being Gay is more natural than any religion, people are born that way (as are animals), its worth pointing out we are not born with religious beliefs or holy books, that is TAUGHT.

This is why I find this app offensive. (TBH I find the fact idiots are paying money for crap that costs virtually nothing to make & used to be free offensive but thats another topic entirely!)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Off topic... sort of... App Related.
As an Apple Developer for that crappy App Store that normal apps are impossible to get into... I object more to the fact that they let this through even though it should be obvious that it is very controversial - but they wouldn't let mine in that was just a simple app that played classic movies that were in public domain because the title sequence showed the logo from 1945 of a current movie studio.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Even though the app is idiotic, it still has a right to exist. There are other stupid apps out there.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by danielsil18

Originally posted by James1982
So, if being gay is genetic, doesn't it mean that being gay is in fact a genetic "defect"

It could be a genetic "defect", but it's still unknown.

But it's not a choice like some think it is.

I think sexual orientation is genetic, but also for some people it's imposed on them by society, their desire to be different, or by events in their life.

The society thing is the most easy to show. Look back at Rome and other old civilizations. It was quite popular for men to have sexual relationships with other men or boys. Did they just have a lot more gay people than we do today? I doubt it. I'd be more willing to bet that in a society where that kind of thing is acceptable, more people will be open with their desires. Where as now many try to hide it, and be "straight" because society tells them it's not OK. I think there are a lot more gay people out there than they themselves would admit, and probably many of these gay people are the very ones who are so loudly against gay people. Because of religion or whatever else they feel ashamed of how they feel, and try to further prove to themselves their aren't gay by bashing other gay people.

And, you have to be honest, there are SOME people out there that are gay by choice. I personally know two women that used to be lesbians together. That was a little over 10 years ago, and now they are both married to men, and one has a kid on the way. If you ever ask either of them about it they usually just say something along the lines of "oh I don't know what I was doing, you can't blame someone for something they did when they were young"

Now, it's possible that they were and still are Lesbians, and are just faking their lives as straight married women. But if you can believe they could fake that, then it's not a stretch that they would have be faking, or just experimenting when they were younger.

As far as the App, I think it's just really stupid. Not even worth anyone getting upset about.
edit on 22-3-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by S3ns1bl3

IMO opinion being Gay is more natural than any religion, people are born that way (as are animals), its worth pointing out we are not born with religious beliefs or holy books, that is TAUGHT.

Quoted for truth. Anti-gay religious people with their "not natural" arguments have absolutely no merit.

I would also like to point out that not natural does not mean wrong in any way. Computers are not natural, lots of medications are not natural, and I could go on and on. Even if homosexuality would not be natural (it is), I fail to see the point of this intellectual masturbation anyway..

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Being religious and worshiping God isn't natural either.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
homophobes...... this app is made for those who WANT no use it.... there is nothing wrong with that.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Albastion

The only lesson here is to be aware of how a company which sells stuff to make money, also is making political decisions and using its clout in an attempt to influence or change the culture of society.

It is sensoring what is and is not available to the public based not on monetary decisions but political and religious/ethical ones. Companies can, and do, try and impose their will on the public, without the public necessarily realizing it is being done.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Off topic again sort of... but in the flow of the current conversations... mostly.
I am friends with and have been friends with people that consider themselves gay (All my life) - as well as family members - we get along great. I spend more time talking to them than the rest of the family because they hate the black sheep and the white sheep equally. They don't know what to do with themselves around either of us. Anyway... every one of them have told me that it was a choice they made. I think the "we are made this way" is a modern cop out and or propaganda line that has been given to them by the PR machine of the mainstream media and company.

And yes even as a Christian - I agree you have the right to live any way you choose... we live in a free society. But also come to realize that there are people in that frame of mind that do wish to change their choices... and change their thinking. And as strange an app as this thing sounds like it is... it must fill a need for someone to have built it.

Apple is historically VERY VERY open and friendly to alternative lifestyles and would not intentionally approve something like this as a corporate entity. I would hope that as accepting as the world is of alternative lifestyles that at some point being a representative of a segment of society for people that want to change their habits and lifestyles according to certain guidelines - that eventually the world will accept that there are others that do not have to agree with everything that popular media or PR makes it sound like we do. Its a free world. Enjoy it while you can everyone.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join