It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first issues with the Bible.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

Actually im really open minded, Because im not stuck to the confiding level of science, Gods knowledge goes before that, If he created the universe with his hands, and named every star and planet, Dont you think that he could understand a little bit of algebra?, Or the basics on fundementals of Theoretical Physics?

Before man got the proud heart to search for thier own wisdom, God had created every equation, every scientic proof, He detailed and structed every independent co - variable string? and man what has the decencie to spit in gods face and say our science disproves him?

HE CREATED IT WITH HIS THOUGHTS!, theres nothing that cant be found that god has not been waiting to say, "im glad you finally found that out
, Now i want you to keep searching theres so much more i want you to know"!~

You need to understand our birth right people, we have the creative nature, As god does, Because he gave us his spirit, He gave us as authority over the earth, Over the stars, Over weather, Or animals, beasts, because he apointed man as earths keepers, but man has abused that right, and forgotten thier true place on this tiny rock in the universe man.

I cant believe the rubbish i hear coming from people that try cause flaws in the word of God, Or gods existance, If you read the OT, you would see gods personality!, Jesus was God in the flesh, through his name we have dominion over all Things, whether thrones, principalites, kingdoms, this is something no one understands, Not even christians.

As for the evangelical ministry, some are sad, and are focused like a business, and are structured and have laws and lines to follow.
But these people are trapped in thier own religion, They need to understand the law of grace god gave! stop trying so hard to qualify!.
As i am working in indonesia, training at bible school, as an evangelist, Im 19 years of age, and i have already gone to the sickenly homeless areas, where people live under bridges, People that have nothing, but still hold on to the word of God, and thats so awesome to me, That people are even though have nothing, They still know thier inheritence as children of God, (abbah father), And the ministry i work for, IS ALL ABOUT PEOPLE, they are doing what jesus did, and would want us to do, Not staying to the confinds of a church wall and playing holy, having chariot rides, or getting taken up in the spirit, Those things are good, But jesus wants us to do what he did, Eat with the sinners, Cast out devils, Travel and share his work, heal the sick, Raise the dead, Give to the poor, And bless those that curse you!.

So many people have forgotten what our purpose here on earth as christones is.
Im just thankful im with people who are driven by love and compassion for people, Not by money and violence, Or anger and fame, This makes me sick, And i will not be labeled as such!
edit on 21/02/2011 by InnerstellarOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The Bible is alive imo. Hence The Living Bible. I belive this is because truth lives forever. If you stop to analyse every time you don't understand something. Then seek another mans interpretation of what you don't understand.
You will understand it only the way every one else does in variables. Read it as if you are looking to get the message God wants you to have. It could be a very different message then the one others get.

Read and depend on God, to reveal to you what he wants you to get from it. That is how you read the Bible. Seek and you will find. Study the word. Read with faith in God. The book has proven itself alive to me.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by InnerstellarOne
you guys are absolutely abusing the word of god.

Attempting to understand the words that millions believe are the word of a superior being, is abusive? That is almost as silly as.... Well... I don't know. It's just silly.

Look, it is more than okay to ask questions... That is our only way of understanding things that we do not yet fully understand.... So why you think it is abusive to ask questions of this "word of god" is beyond me...

What? Do you think it is a sin to dare to question the bible? Would God have a problem with his people trying to ask for clarification? Does God just expect us to take these words blindly? Why would God want that? Is God not able to answer our questions or something?

If that is the case... Perhaps it is time to look into a different religion, because THIS God... Doesn't sound all that.... superior....

So yes, I like this thread. It is a person reading the bible, and giving it a chance and he has questions about what he is reading... That is NOT abusive....

Abuse comes if what his actions do, cause you emotional or physical harm... Does this thread do that to you? Does it do it to god? Are you suggesting that asking a question can harm god? Wow.... Sounds like you have some questions that need answering as well... Because you don't seem to understand all that much about God either.

Spot flippin' on!!

It seems like a life goal for a lot of Christians to "spread the word", but when someone doesn't take it without question, they claim that you don't question the "word of God", and that it's all about faith. I CANNOT have faith in something that I don't understand. Chances are I will question most ideas I encounter. Not to belittle or embarrass, but to understand.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Actually im really open minded, Because im not stuck to the confiding level of science, Gods knowledge goes before that, If he created the universe with his hands, and named every star and planet, Dont you think that he could understand a little bit of algebra?, Or the basics on fundementals of Theoretical Physics?

So then would you find truth in the statement: God holds infinite scientific knowledge?
edit on 3/20/2011 by ChaosComplex because: Typo

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I agree,Christians are the most judgemental un tolerant people I have come across.
I have lived in three countries and have never met a single person in my circle who was relegious or went to church.In the u.k Christians are seen as brainwashed bible bashers.

link   
In regard to understanding what is meant by certain lines, we are bound to run into multiple ideas stemming from multiple tranlsations of the Bible. One of the things that I think is really smart about Islam is that all believers are supposed to learn Arabic so that they can read the Koran (spell as you like) in the language in which it was written. It is hard enough to try to filter out the culture and time period in which a particular experience was recorded into what has today become the Bible, but when you add in the multitude of original languages which make up the original writings, and then add to that the number of times that the book has been translated, including the possibility of substitution or copying errors by scribes...well, it becomes pretty easy to have widely divergent "obvious" meanings. Think about the following: how now brown cow. It would be easy enough in English for that first how and that second now to be confused. There is only the smallest little difference between them on paper. But in terms of meaning the two words are very, very far apart. Take that and multiply by Hebrew, Greek, Latin, English, etc. and you can start to see why even steadfast biblical scholars can come up with different answers to the same question. But, just because it is difficult doesn't mean I don't think that it is worth doing.

edit on 20-3-2011 by watcher3339 because: My T key seems to be sticking and so some of my words were missing Ts! See how easy it is to mess up language!

link   
reply to post by paperface

This may be your experience, but it is far from the purpose of this thread.

#2.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaosComplex

And who died and put you in charge?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Im sorry but your are deceived mate.

You dont understand that abusing the word of God means adding to it?
have you not heard the scripture that all sins will be forgiven, But those who blaspheme the holy spirit, There sins will not be forgiven.

So yeah i understand actually alot quite clearly, Because to go against who god is and what he is, You are denying who he is, and what his power is.

So im pretty sure god is superior to all things?.
likewise i dont need to decalre gods truth, Or creation, Because the heavens speak of his glory.
The earth describes his beauty!, from the structure of the role of ants, To the fundementals of the fish in the sea, From the budding of a seed to a beautiful tree!, Man some people are so blind, even though the truth is RIGHT before them!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerstellarOne

I ask again...

Do you find truth in the statement: God holds infinite scientific knowledge?

And paperface, I'd like this thread to live for a bit. The only way that will happen is with productive conversation, free of personal attacks.
edit on 3/20/2011 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Of course? he is creator of time and space.
Let me give you a little insight to the first verse in the bible
Genesis 1:1
In the beggining(Time) god created(designed) the Heavens(space) and the earth(matter)

There is enough scientific valuation in this first verse alone!, we just need to see the word is a living book, and god speaks to use through it!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrCarter
It was bound to happen eventually, oh well. This whole freaking out when someone has different opinions than you is sickening. The question was asked how an intelligent person could believe that we evolved from monkeys or some such, well here is a few for you. How can you believe a man lived inside a magic fish (Answer: Because your god said so), In all of the vast universe we where so lucky as to have god knock up a woman with himself so that he could die, for us, so that we can hang out with him for eternity when we die, and if we don't believe that we get to be tormented by devils and fire and blah blah blah because what he loves us and wants us to behave. Why do you believe that, oh a book supposedly written by men who heard gods voice told you, or some guy who asks for ten percent of your wages once a month because god can't do finances. I could go on and on, but I will simply finish with every person is entitled to their opinion, if you do not like it simply ignore and move on. If you choose to stick around and freak out some more so be it, like with everyone else here that is your right, just keep in mind we don't all subscribe to the same source as you.

1. Couldn't have evolved from monkeys. Here's why: at least 48,000,000 nucleotides separate us from them, and missing 3 is fatal. So, if we figure that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, and we assume that every single year of that we were here as life and evolving, and a generation is about 20 years on average, we would need (48,000,000/3)*20 years to make humans if every generation was successful. That is 320,000,000 years separation between man and monkey IF every generation was successful. Sorry, but monkeys were here a long time after that. anthro.palomar.edu... The scientific record says 60 million years. Takes more faith to believe that than to believe we had a common designer.

2. The magic fish experience has been repeated in modern times. I read about it in the newspaper about 45 years ago.

3. The sacrifice of Jesus was an act of love, and you can reject it if you wish. It doesn't cost anything to accept it, though. It's a free gift. Just makes sense to me to accept it. If someone told me in the driving rain that a bridge was out and I should go another route, I would, regardless of why the bridge was out.

4. Taking 10% of your wages is not Christian or Biblical. Wages were never used, just crops or animals, in the OT. It was corrupted later, as seen in the NT and today. Also, only a Levite priest could receive it. None left today. Sorry, it does not apply to pastors and churches today. Tithing was used for government. It was theocratic under Moses.

Not trying to argue, but I would not use that poster for a reference. Doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about, just ranting. No offence.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerstellarOne

Excellent. I too believe that whatever "God" may be, it/he/she/what-have-you is the epitome of science.

So following that logic, would it be safe to postulate that to know God, one must first understand science?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Maybe "us" refers to god and his wife? news.discovery.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerstellarOne
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

Because he gave us his spirit, He gave us as authority over the earth, Over the stars, Over weather, Or animals, beasts, because he apointed man as earths keepers, but man has abused that right, and forgotten thier true place on this tiny rock in the universe man.

We no longer have the spirit given to Adam, as he lost that in the fall and was a fallen spirit. As you can see in Genesis 5:1-3, we now inherit our fallen spirits from our fathers. This is another reason why Jesus had to come, since no one on Earth still had the spirit of God. If we did, someone could have led a sinless life. Even if that person led a sinless life and was sacrificed, his life sacrifice would not have paid for all mankind. Only the sacrifice of God himself could do that.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Absolutely, But given that said, The science of man Is evil, They have taken wisdom, and created up with the theory that God does not exist or did not create the world, that spontanious particles came together and everything evolved from a single piece of matter.

Im sorry but god said he Designed? the heavens(space) and the earth(matter)
This is my point that GODs science works on a level this human mind cannot fathom, Not until we get to heaven, All the mysteries of GOD will be revealed and he will reveal because the human man cannot understand the truth of God, But in the spirit, We know all things, cause our spirit is of God.

I hope you understand where im going with this, And that no mathematical equation or science that God has created man could use against him? i laugh at notation man haha xD, God is awesome, and my mind will never fathom his awesomeness, But i praise him and thankhim for his faithfulness and mercy, For its GOD that over all things said if we lack wisdom we should ask him for it, and he will freely give it, So
, What you may think God is and what i know he is, are two completely differant things, The truth is The bible says exactly who he is, And how much he loves us. Nothing can ever change that or change the way i feel about my heavenly father

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Don't get me wrong, some were quite nice people, even down-to-earth. But overall, there was a lot of low-key coercion, demands for blind obedience (not to mention tithing), and a "God has it all figured out already, so I don't have to think about it" mentality.

It was an interesting study, but not for me as a way of life.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Why do many believers come across all angry and pissed off every time religion is debated. They really seem like the loving type and I am sure such behavior will attract many people to this so called faith.

My biggest problem with the bible is the desire for violence , hate , torture , and suffering for anyone who doesn't not agree with the bible. Not only that but the constant fighting over 2000 years over who's interpretation of gods word was right . Where is seems to be acceptable to only value certain parts of the bible while ignoring many other parts. Where the catholic churches still deal with pedophilia and still no up rising from the people. Also ted haggard who was leader of the National Association of Evangelicals faction of the christian faith in America who was found with male prostitutes. Looking at this culture of religion and faith stemming from the bible I would say even the elite of this groups do not even believe in this seeing how they use it as sanctuary of promoting such behavior. I am not saying anything bad about homosexuality , but I do have a problem with some who speaks out with an iron fist and in private do the opposite when no one is watching. The pope drives around in a car with 3 inches of bullet proof glass noting says faith in god more than .

I would like to think we have started to evolve beyond such silly reasoning and ethics. Sadly I do not foresee it any time soon but it is gradual . Unless some alien said they where here before and that we suffered from cargo cultism

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

yeah, through the restoration of Christs sacrifice, We have been given back our dominion over satan and the earth.

Infact since the death of christ on the cross, The realm of time and reality changed into a new age, because we are now under the laws of grace, And are NEW CREATIONS, because we no longer have the old spirit that adam and the children of abraham did, But the holy spirit inside us

Its so awesome when you understand the truth that christ jesus brought us, and his most humbled and loving sacrifice that he gave his life on the cross that we would be forgiven our sins, because he loves man that much, He sent his only son to die, that we should not perish but have everlasting life
John 3:16

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Is it so hard to believe that maybe Science is just the result of humans finding the processes of existence? The same processes that whatever created our reality used? I think that some people need to give the human mind more credit, and start peeking outside of their very well-built box of deceptively vague ideas. Religious people complain when scientific minds refuse to give their ideas a thought or two, but then the religious ones refuse to hear any scientific logic that pretty much STATES THE SAME THING, but in more specific terms.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join