My first issues with the Bible.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
So god would send someone to hell just for believing that he might be an alien?
How is that degrading? Sounds more plausible than the # stories I hear everyday.

Can you really blame a brother for being atheist?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ag893
Reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Well your sciences sure isn't 100% truth. You really think you came from a monkey when God says differently. I don't understand how you can be an intelligent person and think you came from a primate. How does one figure they are intelligent from this? And then they have the nerve to denounce the God of the bible who created us all and everything in it and claim themselves as "most educated" above others. That is simply ridiculous. Well, if I am ignorant in believing I was created, then I guess I'll be ignorant in Heaven.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

zzz ive heard this argument a 1000 times and really cant be arsed repeating myself over and over again. If you wish to live in a fantasy world thats up to you. Just dont go around saying everything in the bible is truth as its not and can be proved to be false

EDIT:"You really think you came from a monkey when God says differently" GOD didnt write the bible...man did!!!!
I cannot wait for the day religion is abolished....your grasping at straws
edit on 20-3-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerstellarOne

I happen to think that God is NOT like us.

There are similarities, true, but he is definitely alien in one way of thinking.

God is so excessively out of our league that even the most introspective mystic can barely probe the "difference". That is why we need things like the Bible to reveal Him to us.

He's too big to put in our brain so we have to go with what he allows us to see. He reveals this through the Bible (among other things).

He also stepped into our shoes as a human, but that's a whole other story!
edit on 20/3/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaosComplex

Congratulations on your beginning study of the Bible. (I noticed the second post on this thread was Christian-bashing, by the way).

The answer to your questions:
1. Kind was God's way of saying specie, but it is somewhat different than specie today because some can cross-reproduce.
2. Us and our refer to the holy trinity - God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost. When man was made, he was made in the image of God in his spirit. Notice that there is plural in the reference, but one in the image.
That answers the question. If there are questions about the authenticity of the Trinity, there are plenty of sites you can Google to show how that works.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I think you'll find that Christians, on the whole, are pretty closed-minded. If something is not exactly like it says in the bible, then that something is wrong.

I spent a year in close contact with an evangelical church for a research project, and they are quite out of control (yet also very controlling of their "sheep", oddly enough). The techniques used to control the flock were very cultish, and the techniques used to spread the gospel were very much like multi-level marketing.

Questioning was allowed to a certain extent, but disagreement with an issue or concept was not. In one instance of disagreement, one guy tried to "rebuke" me in the name of Jesus.

My research ended at that point, as it was just too crazy.

Good luck with your research, and may your experiences be better than mine.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Please guys, can we keep this civil? (Yeah right...WAAAYYYYY too much to ask, I know)

I never said anything about "God" being an ET, but if this being didn't (doesn't) reside on Earth, doesn't that fill the single requirement for ET status?

I personally believe that the Bible (and other religious texts) were written in a time without the vocabulary to describe the things that were going on. I also believe that things have been changed, removed, and just down right twisted around throughout the ages. People with strong religious beliefs seem so opposed to the idea that what they consider to be "God" may be a much more advanced version of ourselves. While we're on personal beliefs, I also hold the belief that what we consider "God" isn't the ultimate being. I think that whatever created us and whatever created the Universe are two separate "entities".

This thread can go one of two ways, we all know what they are and how to get there.

Let's use these awesome human minds and talk about this.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

haha, he rebuked you?

Does that mean he slapped you?

like this?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DrCarter

"because god can't do finances"

Me likey!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Chaos Complex, I know that the bible is "hard" on our ideas and seems dauntingly impenetrable initially.

This is only because the language and culture that we have is different than those when it was written down (sort of like the works of Shakespeare).

I would suggest that you have a look at some of the modern translations. I like "The Message" version which tries to communicate the ideas in moden laguage without getting into actual word meanings and such.

If you don't want to pay for the The Message bible, perhaps you know someone who will loan you a copy, or you could read it online here.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerstellarOne
reply to post by chr0naut

Your right, The sons of god (angels) are actualy physical spiritual beings, That on earth put thier seed into woman, And thats where you get your myths in other religions, or even greek mythology, The nephlilim, Say for example, They believe zues, or apollyon could have children here on earth, And everyone knows who satan is in greek mythology, So these men of old, and reknown, Were actually giants, goliath, Hercules, ect, mighty men with amazing supernatural powers, who dabled in witchcraft, This is the line that satan tried to use to destroy the line for jesus, By corrupting the line of God, But king david slayed all the nephilim that were left, But they say that the nephlilim have returned this day in age, and are living among us, (the parable of the wheat and tares), As jesus told

I don't think anyone actually knows what that verse means. Might refer to the angels who did not keep their first estate, as in Jude. Might refer to priests who were supposed to be celibate taking young virgins, could be something entirely different that we think. The word for giants also could mean men of renown, famous men, like we term Andrew Carnegie a giant of industry. Might be referring to the early pharaohs. Nobody knows.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
God is not an alien, He is not that unfathomable, He is quite simple, He is love.
He created us, Walked along with man, Man sinned, Broke that connection with god, 6000 years were the restoration period, before god could once again be with man, emmauel, Meaning god is with us, That jesus now lives inside us our holy temple the body, So the whole purpose of ages has been the line of redemption, and satan has done all he can, since before man was created to implant lies, And decieve mankind from ever following god, Thats why he is known as the god of this earth, Because God cast him out from heaven to the earth. which brings us to 2011, The coming days of the son of man (yeshua) and the redemption of the just.

I do believe how ever heaven is a spiritual Planet, It exists outside of the universe, and is a spherical sphere, There was a man who did a teaching on it called Percy collete, And he talks about 8 hours on heaven when he went and explains all about the size measurements, The details, The mountains of gold, The countless beauty, The chariots of the angels area is something like 4 times that of the diameter of the earth, Really awesome stuff. But i advise you to listen to that if you want to understand the father.

Also another man who was taken in this spirit know and peter tan, He has accounts of God letting him sit on his throne, and seeing what is like a clear cyrstal that goes through time back and forward.
GOD wants us to know him and desire to seek what his nature and heart is.

If he really was an alien, Dont you think he would not give such wisdom and knowledge of himself to people?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaosComplex

What? Let US make? In OUR image? After OUR likeness? What the... How can no one have an issue with this?

He was speaking to his angels, what's an issue with this? Do you think he sat in heaven alone? No, angels and our spirits were there.

link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy

I think you'll find that Christians, on the whole, are pretty closed-minded. If something is not exactly like it says in the bible, then that something is wrong.

I spent a year in close contact with an evangelical church for a research project, and they are quite out of control (yet also very controlling of their "sheep", oddly enough). The techniques used to control the flock were very cultish, and the techniques used to spread the gospel were very much like multi-level marketing.

Questioning was allowed to a certain extent, but disagreement with an issue or concept was not. In one instance of disagreement, one guy tried to "rebuke" me in the name of Jesus.

My research ended at that point, as it was just too crazy.

Good luck with your research, and may your experiences be better than mine.

I have to agree with you there, like when I was a Mormon. Same thing. It is not Christian to be closed-minded in that sense, because you can see how Christians in Acts 17:11 where they verified what was being taught by using the scriptures that they had. Seek the truth and you will find it. Stop seeking, and you won't.

link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Thanks for the suggestion, but I want to read through it in its (close to) original form. I'm familiar with "old English" and Shakespear style phrasing, and I'm rather good at discerning meaning from context. I've started to read about the writing style used in Biblical writings as well.

I guess my issues are stemming from the fact that a lot of the stories in a lot of religions can be "adapted" to fit more modern thinking.

Question to the individuals giving me a hard time:
Why is it that most everyone with your attitude REFUSES to question the Bible? In the end, it is only a book. It may carry a great message, but don't you find it difficult to go on WITHOUT QUESTIONING it?
edit on 3/20/2011 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

No. I'm pretty sure I would have sent him to "meet his maker" had he "laid hands" on me.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth

What? Let US make? In OUR image? After OUR likeness? What the... How can no one have an issue with this?

He was speaking to his angels, what's an issue with this? Do you think he sat in heaven alone? No, angels and our spirits were there.

So there were angels before there were humans? How?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth

The Bible teaches that our spirits were made in the womb, therefore we were not there. See Zech 12:1, Isaiah 49:1,5 Sorry, but that is a common misconception, no pun intended, often promoted by the Mormons.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerstellarOne
you guys are absolutely abusing the word of god.

Attempting to understand the words that millions believe are the word of a superior being, is abusive? That is almost as silly as.... Well... I don't know. It's just silly.

Look, it is more than okay to ask questions... That is our only way of understanding things that we do not yet fully understand.... So why you think it is abusive to ask questions of this "word of god" is beyond me...

What? Do you think it is a sin to dare to question the bible? Would God have a problem with his people trying to ask for clarification? Does God just expect us to take these words blindly? Why would God want that? Is God not able to answer our questions or something?

If that is the case... Perhaps it is time to look into a different religion, because THIS God... Doesn't sound all that.... superior....

So yes, I like this thread. It is a person reading the bible, and giving it a chance and he has questions about what he is reading... That is NOT abusive....

Abuse comes if what his actions do, cause you emotional or physical harm... Does this thread do that to you? Does it do it to god? Are you suggesting that asking a question can harm god? Wow.... Sounds like you have some questions that need answering as well... Because you don't seem to understand all that much about God either.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

Sad to hear about your experience. I would only ask that you acknowledge that there are Christians who aren't like the evangelical christians you met (note the small "c").

I hold that if you are just "following the crowd" like most christians do, then it is hardly valid and you aren't then "on the path".

I think that Jesus was revolutionary. He spoke openly against the very organisational structures used by most church groups and called them "hypocrites" and "white-washed tombs" that they were "the descendants of those who murdered the prophets".

Having that fire, that concern for the average person & being full of forgiveness for little misdemeanours is, what I believe marks a true Christian.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join