It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first issues with the Bible.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
****Let me start this by saying I am here to ask questions and learn. I have no intentions of bashing anyone for their beliefs, as I accept all ideas for thought.****

So I decided to start to read the Bible, and already in the first few minutes of reading I have a huge issue.

"1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good."

"after his kind" makes me think that these creatures were based on creatures that existed somewhere else...

"1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

What? Let US make? In OUR image? After OUR likeness? What the... How can no one have an issue with this?

edit on 3/20/2011 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/20/2011 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This will be deleted in a matter of hours.
There are lots of christians on here who wont hear a bad thing said against there fictitious god/book.
The bible is 100% truth.....heres another christian bashing thread.....why only bash the bible....blah blah blah

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I also think God/Jesus could be an alien.

For example,

2 Peter 3:8—‘one day is like a thousand years’

It's well known that traveling at or near the speed or light significantly "slows down" time for the traveler.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I may get slammed but it fits well with the ancient astronaut theory. What I mean is that if we where engineered to be as we are, wouldn't some memory of that have been passed down, mostly through word of mouth, and eventually get written down with a perspective based on the time it is written. There are many similarities in the religions of the world if we look closely though they are different in many other respects. Could it be that each religion is based on an event we have no true memory of with the aspects of each culture's nature coloring the details?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaosComplex

It seems like smarter people tend to not read it, other wise they were drilled by it as a child and now can't see the issues since they have been exposed to it so long. But when you take a smart conspiracy knowledgeable guy like your self then it is quite visible if you know what to look for and ignore other's explanations.

Here's my problem. It says "When struck by fellow man, instead of fighting back turn thy other check.". Why would any one want to do that. A better way of wording it would be "Don't fight out of anger" or something, but sometimes you have to fight back. It could have at least given the option to block.

Also does anyone know what the word "sin" even means, or what language it's from. Cause it might not mean something bad. But as far as that goes "Lust", not important in my book, it's actually a good thing. "Lieing" also not a problem and sometimes necessary or fun. "Killing" sometimes necessary. Ect. "Sabbath" Pointless. "Honor your parents"... Why? They sound like controll rules. "Don't kill the Roman's if they hit you and take your food".

If I made a book it would say "You know what is right and wrong so don't be a jerk".

I don't mean to trash talk any Christians. I my self used to be one cause I knew nothing else.
edit on 20-3-2011 by canofnothing because: My apologize to the Christians.

+4 more 
link   
Oh my god you must be kidding me!! "After his kind" simply means after the creatures kind of animal group. Reptiles like snakes "after their kind", the big cats "lions, tigers, jaguars" after their kind". Goodness gracious it doesn't take a rocket scientist!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
skip ahead and read about jesus man, the rest of the book matters very little...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Were not on God's time. What is 1,000 years to us is very different to the Lord. Were limited in our understanding of God's creation. This is why many people cannot grasp the concept of eternity because it doesn't fit into their little box of thinking.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This thread isn't to "point and laugh" or anything like that. It is so I can ask people of various backgrounds and religious beliefs about the things that don't make sense to me in this specific book. I think that the use of OUR and US is crazy in that paragraph.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
you guys are absolutely abusing the word of god.

When it refers to one day is like a thousand years, Thats because god created time.... He existed before and outside the universe was formed, He created the firmament, And separated it between the heavens and heaven*.

As for god making man in OUR image, It refers to the Holy trinity, God the Father, God the Son, and God The holy spirit, He made us in the image of him, He put his spirit in US, and the father lives inside us, Cause we are his spirit.

Just clearing up when you got a little confused there.,

GOD is not an elien, Or a ancient astronaught, He is not a ET that billions of years split his dna and erased mankinds sub concious, I wont sit here and listen to this trot man...... Its garbage, If you have a problem with the bible its not our problem its yours, So deal with it

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Lies. They all equally matter. But unbelievers would never understand. The Bible, to be understood, must read to through the heart. Its not a book you read to analyze like other books. It's a book of holy words meant to help your soul in addition to telling you about Christ and God and how everything in the world was created and why we worship and what happens after this life is over. No book on Earth is like it. That is how I know everything in it is true and told.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaosComplex

"After their kind" means according to their genotype, their genetic germ line. I presume because hybridisation is a no-no.

Later in Genesis you will read that "the sons of God" (angels?) did the dirty with the daughters of men and created a race of "earth born" hybrids that God assigned the Hebrew people to wipe out. It's like there's heaps of hidden history in there if you understand what is being said.

God, in Christian terms is triune. Three persons in one. This does not disagree with that.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Well your sciences sure isn't 100% truth. You really think you came from a monkey when God says differently. I don't understand how you can be an intelligent person and think you came from a primate. How does one figure they are intelligent from this? And then they have the nerve to denounce the God of the bible who created us all and everything in it and claim themselves as "most educated" above others. That is simply ridiculous. Well, if I am ignorant in believing I was created, then I guess I'll be ignorant in Heaven.

+15 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

God, in Christian terms is triune. Three persons in one. This does not disagree with that.

Thank you for that. I was not aware that Christians viewed God this way.

Why is it that everyone gets so defensive when I ask about these things? I believe that there is no reason to live if you don't question things. There is a reason for human curiosity. I'm not saying things like "you're out of your mind if you believe this book". I'm asking for clarification of straightforward issues I am having with the text, that is all.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Your right, The sons of god (angels) are actualy physical spiritual beings, That on earth put thier seed into woman, And thats where you get your myths in other religions, or even greek mythology, The nephlilim, Say for example, They believe zues, or apollyon could have children here on earth, And everyone knows who satan is in greek mythology, So these men of old, and reknown, Were actually giants, goliath, Hercules, ect, mighty men with amazing supernatural powers, who dabled in witchcraft, This is the line that satan tried to use to destroy the line for jesus, By corrupting the line of God, But king david slayed all the nephilim that were left, But they say that the nephlilim have returned this day in age, and are living among us, (the parable of the wheat and tares), As jesus told

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I object to the idea that smarter people don't read the Bible. I think that is a lazy attempt to discredit the strong beliefs of many people (smart and otherwise) which are based upon biblical teachings. While I recognize that you don't know me and would therefore have to take my word for it, I am generally recognized as being rather bright. I also read the Bible.
It's important to me to remove such red herrings about the intelligence level of individuals drawn to the book and the religions associated with it because I think that there are many valid and fascinating discussions based in Biblical text. Many of these can be had from both viewpoints of the traditional Jewish/Christian belief system and the whole Ancient Astronaut/Lost knowledge camp.
Also, in regard to "let us create", there are multiple instances in the Bible which indicate that there are others. While people often focus on the image of the Golden Calf (which so makes me want to address the Bronze Bull at Wall Street....) Moses was instructed that his people should have "no other God before me". It seems that if there were no "lesser" Gods than there would be no reason for such a directive. It could be a far more simple "I am the only God" and then the no graven images stipulation. So, interesting thread but it's too bad that it is assumed by responders that there is no room for discussion between those who believe in a strict biblical construct and those who are interested in the text for more historic/esoteric reasons. That book, whichever way you look at it, covers an awful lot of important ground.
And, for the record, while I am very open to discussion and fascinated by many non mainstream implications, I am a believer.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
its not that we get angry or defensive about this.

But when you call god and alien being, Or some pysudo astronaut man, Its kind of degrading against the thought of God, because why would we need to look anywhere else to our creator>? we are made in HIS IMAGE, just look in the mirror, He is closer than our skin, because gods spirit is in us.

I have questioned the thought of elohim being an ET, but that just dosent make sense, Because we know who God is, He sent his son to the earth, God in the flesh.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Reply to post by watcher3339

This right here is true smart person. Atheist and other unbelievers, take note of this person. You can learn something.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerstellarOne

This is the line that satan tried to use to destroy the line for jesus, By corrupting the line of God, But king david slayed all the nephilim that were left, But they say that the nephlilim have returned this day in age, and are living among us, (the parable of the wheat and tares), As jesus told

Could you explain this a little further i don't understand how it applies to that parable...

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It was bound to happen eventually, oh well. This whole freaking out when someone has different opinions than you is sickening. The question was asked how an intelligent person could believe that we evolved from monkeys or some such, well here is a few for you. How can you believe a man lived inside a magic fish (Answer: Because your god said so), In all of the vast universe we where so lucky as to have god knock up a woman with himself so that he could die, for us, so that we can hang out with him for eternity when we die, and if we don't believe that we get to be tormented by devils and fire and blah blah blah because what he loves us and wants us to behave. Why do you believe that, oh a book supposedly written by men who heard gods voice told you, or some guy who asks for ten percent of your wages once a month because god can't do finances. I could go on and on, but I will simply finish with every person is entitled to their opinion, if you do not like it simply ignore and move on. If you choose to stick around and freak out some more so be it, like with everyone else here that is your right, just keep in mind we don't all subscribe to the same source as you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join