It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by maestromason

i have a lab grade (but not top of the line/ vernier.com) magnetometer i will turn on now and take a 10 hr reading...

then i will compare to the same type of reading i have made over the last couple of years.

the earth's magnetic moment is usually around 3 gauss and fluctuates in a sine wave fashion

every couple of minutes (ie, 1 cycle about ever 3 min).

will let you know...if i can remember to post the follow-up....

PS_ as you may have noticed by now (or not) the jpeg image below shows a LOWER overall average

magnetic moment of around 3.1G obtained this January. The realtime reading of 3.45G is what the

sensor is reading NOW...and it is higher when i move it a little.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/732873ccaaa9.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 3/20/2011 by drphilxr because: corrected data

edit on 3/20/2011 by drphilxr because: added jpg

edit on 3/20/2011 by drphilxr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210
Hi, I have a really snazzy digital compass from Finland. I actually bought the watch because I thought it would be fun to have a dependable compass as we approach the whole 2012 thing. I hardly ever use it and really just enjoy pulling it out occasionally and calibrating the compass. When I saw this post last night. I ran to get it so I could check. I was so excited that it took me 3-4 minutes to realize that the thing is working fine. I even re-calibrated. There is no noticeable discrepancy.
The article that you are referencing is from 2003. I know that all interested parties here have seen it a long time ago. There was no reason for you to entitle this thread 'Compasses Going Crazy'
MadDog, Aren't you the guy who started the post on 'What has happened to ATS" What is your point here with this thread? Pull us all in with a sensationalistic title and then when the compasses are not going crazy split hairs over an article from NASA and the USGS from 8 years ago? Where is the conspiracy here?
OK, we get it. North is migrating some miniscule amount every year. How is this the same as compasses going crazy? Maybe I should just avoid these posts for a while when I see your avatar until you mellow out.

Holding expensive Finnish compass right now and North is still North. Just sayin'
edit on 20-3-2011 by Frater210 because: Benefit of the doubt

I never claimed a conspiracy. Only a simple posting of an observation that was worth looking in to, if for anything, enlightenment. This is in the Fragile Earth section, not the Conspiracy sections. Not once, have I stated this some kind of conspiracy. Not all areas of ATS are devoted only to conspiracy.

Edit to add:

Why call it "Compasses going crazy"? Well, thats obviously what all the compasses worldwide that are reading way off, are doing isn't it? They're not acting normally. So, henceforth, they're acting crazy.
edit on 3/20/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

i checked when i first read this thread, and posted.. "i found no difference here near seattle..
but to my suprise and ALARM. right now the same compass if off by 30 deg from north..

what would change magnetic north over the course of a few hours ???

why did i get a "normal" reading this morning???

wacky!!!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
just chiming in from SW ohio, I went with the home made option because I know exactly which way is north from where I am and it's definitely off to the east .. I was honestly very surprised .. i didn't expect i'd see the same result

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Got it. OK I will mellow. I have to admit that no matter how much it is moving I can't resist the subject matter. I will be standing by for the magnetometer readings and whatever else. S+F. Thanks for the post. Excuse my impudence. Standing by.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

Yes, but all the emphasis was put on hoax. Seriously, what is this lame amateur debunking? Go check some good debunkers, your technique really is not on top of the game.

Doesn't matter what you think I emphasized, I still made other cogent points that were ignored to focus on me saying it's a hoax.

The OP has been thoroughly debunked by me and others. You obviously missed that part.

I could care less how others operate, I'm not a career debunker. If I see something obviously wrong, I will say so and why.

I can only wonder why you are threatened by forthrightness.

Oh can you tell me why debunkers are almost always arrogant and not sympathic? Can't they be nice people too? Or is it part of the discrediting theory?

How have I been arrogant?
Care to quote the post, or are you just talking smack and hoping people believe you are telling the truth about me?

Why would I be sympathetic to someone spreading incorrect information?
I gave three options. My opinion gave OP credit for being able to use a compass correctly, and just not being honest about it. Like I said, I guess I should have assumed the OP was too ignorant of how to operate a compass. Instead of giving them credit for basic survival knowledge.

Discrediting theory?
With no proof to back up your claim, it would be more like a discrediting hypothesis. Common enough mistake, like using a compass wrong.

link   
I live in Denmark (city of Viborg)
My compass, which are two different apps for my galaxy tab, both show 27 degrees NE, when pointing them at North.
This baffled me big time, and I'll be following this closely.
Stay safe, my friends
edit on 20-3-2011 by laffoe because: added stuff

edit: I also had this mis reading this morning, later on it was correct again and now it's off the above mentioned degrees, funny
edit on 20-3-2011 by laffoe because: (no reason given)

link   
The Earth's magnetic field is induced bu magma flow in relation to the van allen radiation belt. The INTENSITY of the field is directly related to magma flow displacement underneath the surface of the Earth. If its INTENSITY(or Gauss) strengthens or weakens by any critical factor for any extended period off time, I would start to consider researching the reason. The intensity of Mag North is the primary marker to watch and observe. I take it that we as ATS members do not have any collegiate associates who have access to the sensitive measuring equipment needed to observe Mag North's INTENSITY? Oh my how ATS has changed over the past 12 years!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Thats perfectly fine. I understand how these threads can take bad turns once a few bored trollers start infecting them. Sometimes its easy to get caught up in the "heat".

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

link   
I'm geting a weird reading on my thermometer, it says humidity is 33% PSI.

I am an expert on everything, and based on my expert experience, this simply due to surrounding neutrinos passing through the tachyon field. If you don't understand this, that's because you're a non-expert. I suggest you guys study more cutting edge sciency stuff like algebraic vulcanology, which I am an expert on.

Before you make claims, do the proper geolo-algebraic computations. You'll find out that this is nothing out of the ordinary. A lot of pseudo-intellectuals on ATS pretend they know how to calculate the eigenvecting-integro-phase graphs we experts use on a daily basis. I've studied this phenomenon for 10 years and I know what I'm talking about.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm busy terrorizing my PhD students.

link   
reply to post by SpiritualStar

I'm not allowed to explore all options?
That would be fostering ignorance.

link   
Is it possible that the quake in Japan altered the poles? The quake DID mess up earths axis slightly. Or is something else going on here? Two good compasses over 600 miles apart, acting the same way, is very suspicious to me.

Can anyone locate any information that might help solve this strange phenomenon?
edit on 3/19/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

The movement of Japan some eight feet or so did cause an adjustment in the earth as did the weight of the water behind the Three Gorges Dam in China. The best way to be certain that there are any changes in compass readings is to begin watching the Notices to Airmen (NOTAMS) which are issued by the US Government. When navigation of planes is affected you may be sure something is happening. Until then there is no cause to think anything.

link   
I have not read all 28 pages of replies, but has anyone thought that the odd compass readings might be due to HAARP activity around the New Madrid Fault line? If TPTB are planning to manufacture a massive earthquake in the area, might not their HAARP skullduggery affect geomagnetic forces?

link   

That's me. If I did not know that ATS gets results I would not bother coming here. Thanks for your patience. Mellow now. Waiting. Have a good one. Must do dishes and make Dinner.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

But, there is no real compass in the phone, as you stated, and my guess would be they use some sort of combo between the GPS and the leveler that those phones have to figure out "north".

In all truth, who really uses compasses anymore with all the GPS we're using, which is based on the computer's understanding of the Earth and the position of the satellites, even if Australia is east, Japan is South, Virginia is North and Iceland is west.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I traveled to a nearby high school field to get accurate readings earlier, numbers were adjusted for 11"6'W declination. I was a waterman on the Chesapeake for over 10 years and I have been using the same Waltham SOG lensatic compass for over 20 without fail.

The fact is I got a reading of 29.5" off kilter, plus or minus .5, eyes arent what the used to be.

Im not saying the pole shifted or even moved more than normal, just that something WAS funky this morning and you have some reliable readings from Baltimore now for your map.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
just tested mine showing normal

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Here are the facts:

* Many members have reported readings showing their compasses are pointing north. So we can conclude safely that the north magnetic pole is precisely where it's supposed to be. It's also carefully measured by many people all over the world on a daily basis. Not a single one has issued a press release saying something is up.

* The north magnetic pole is not at grid north and hasn't been in my entire life. The declination depends where you are in the world just as the angle between your nearest shop and your nearest train station will be different depending on which street you are on. See the diagram on the wikipedia page on magnetic declination to see how much it varies from location to location and also over time. Note the diagram near the bottom of the page shows the declination, not the direction to magnetic north.

en.wikipedia.org...

* Compasses can lose their magnetism. Absolutely none of the people who claims their compass is pointing east has posted evidence to show that their compass actually points north in the first place, such as bringing the compass in the vicinity of a bar magnet or an electromagnet. If any of them cared about the truth, they would post a video of this.

* No one has posted any information suggesting they can read a map and determine which direction magnetic north is supposed to be. Where is the evidence that you have correctly identified the street you are standing on, on a map?

* Not a single person that I can see in this thread has adjusted their compass for the known supposed declination in their area.

* Smartphones are not accurate compasses.

* Magnetic, electrical and large metal objects can affect compasses.

* The Tampa airport which had to change its runway designation from 18R to 19R did so because of a change of a few degrees (it was already close to the borderline between the two designations). A few degrees folks, not 90 degrees. And they estimate it'll be another 56 years before it has to be done again! Moreover, in the northern part of the US the declination changes so rapidly, due to the proximity of the magnetic north pole that the designations are given relative to true north, not magnetic north. If not they'd be changing every few years!

This thread is an epic fail. Why can't people exercise their right to read.

The thing that gives away the fact that this thread is a hoax is that not one single person claiming their compass is pointing east has posted:

* evidence their compass is working

* evidence they know how to read a map

* evidence that they have taken the current magnetic declination for their area into account.

When people refuse to back up their extraordinary claims with evidence, they are hoaxing. From what I can tell, people do this because they enjoy all the attention their threads get, and the more people they can pull in the more enjoyment they get. All the while, less informed and fearful people become concerned because they think something awful is about to happen.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join