It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cassp83

ok ill just say this if you think your compass is off take it to the bermuda triangle to adjust its settings,

or gold hill oregon,
a compass is but a guade its not absolute, to many deviations to allow for.
the earths magnetic north is just that, its sorta north lol.
every compass and altimiter has to be adjusted for area of use, ie airport, and flight path. thats whay all airports list there true altitude and magnetic deviation on charts....
After 28 years of watching compassas for a living I would notice I think
there is a big differance between old compasses we use called iron mikes, and fluxgate compasses, somtimes as much as 20 degrees or more. when i check my heading I use a fluxgate compass used in the auto pilot and the old iron mike, checking those against my gps. never has all 3 matched. i just use a base averaige of all 3 when its dark. and no stars. Electrical storms also are a source of compass errors at sea,

I can also remember during the invasion of Iraq our gps didnt work either it was showing south as north etc, they where gamming the signal to confuse the enamy i do believe
edit on 20-3-2011 by Fritzthecat because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

I won't argue my knowledge of simple compass understanding with someone who refuses to read real scientific documents that prove magnetic north is shifting at over 40 miles per year. Or tries to discredit real, proven information, simply because they feel a bit arrogant on a given day.

I ask that the bickering cease. I really don't want to spend the rest of my afternoon Alerting posts.

link   
Eastern North Carolina here, and our compass shows north, IN THE NORTH

link   
reply to post by ommadawn

Are you near anything metal or powerlines?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Just a small, insignificant few people trying their best to undermine a perfectly legitimate discussion thread. Pay them no mind. Keep reporting your compass readings and posting your theories. NASA and the USGS validate our claims, that's all we need.

Thank you. Surprised it took so long for them to show up.. Must have gotten lost on the way.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter

I won't argue my knowledge of simple compass understanding with someone who refuses to read real scientific documents that prove magnetic north is shifting at over 40 miles per year. Or tries to discredit real, proven information, simply because they feel a bit arrogant on a given day.

I ask that the bickering cease. I really don't want to spend the rest of my afternoon Alerting posts.

40 Miles will not make a change on the compass. GET IT!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

That makes sense. I am in the Pacific Northwest which shows -20 degrees. Man my carpenter skills are slick! I'm absolutely certain that I'll be appointed lead carpenter in our newly established village, post-world wide disaster! ;-)

link   
Well our position shows North to be more towards the west than usual. Funny just found the compass a few minutes ago and took it out of the junk drawer set it on the kitchen counter.

link   

Originally posted by cushycrux

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter

40 Miles will not make a change on the compass. GET IT!

Really? So, you're saying that since the USGS and NASA stated that these shifts in the magnetic poles WILL offset compasses...is a lie? Wow, how come you aren't heading up their science teams??
edit on 3/20/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Chillax, I thought this was a discussion not a slanging match, sheeeeesh!!!

Anyway, I will be first to say I did my reading WRONG, have double checked and checked with the mothers feng shui directions and North is still North in the south of Ireland

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

if you have read earlier posts as you say you have you will note that I have stated that Magnetic North does move.

Other than that regarding "alerting posts" go ahead do what you want. You don't worry me one bit.

This whole thing is fear driven and unfounded. fueled with people who have no idea what they are talking about. with little to no actual experience using a real compass.

Further posts from you are ignored

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Checked compasses in my house: Reading correct North.

I'm in Richmond, VA, so nothing's interfered with here at least.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Offset how much exactly 2 Sec?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
hello folks first time post but have been lurking here for many years just not very vocal type person, but I went to my van ( which has always showed correct ) and it is off by about 13- 16 degrees drove around town all our north to south roads are all off as well as all our east to west roads and vise versa, I'm versed in compass use , I'm a master electrician, and have installed satellite receivers of the c, k band as well as direct and dish.

just saying

nice to meet all of you great people great forum

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Very interesting. I just got into my car which has a compass, and it seems to be showing a slight deviation when I point it directly east towards where the sun normally rises. I can be sure how off though since it only shows basic directions. I don't own a actually compass otherwise I would report those findings. This is from Wheeling, West Virginia.

I asked a friend to report his compass reading when he gets back later this evening and I will report his findings. He is part of a astronomy group that is doing a star watch this evening so he should be very accurate with his reply. He sounded amused when I told him what was up, so I am sure he will get back to me.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg

Are you near anything metal or powerlines?

Yes, I get huge distortions within say a foot of the power mains, smaller ones from things like phone lines.
But I have taken readings all around the house, upstairs and outside.
Those give a pretty consistent reading.

Could simply be a 'general' field effect from man-made sources.
There's power cables all over the place in populated areas.

I understand the declination issues (see map), and would expect say 5 to 10 degrees to account for.
But this is 25deg.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I suggest if you want to see how much of an effect it is actually having, go check out some different forums like Astronomy, orienteering, heck even try boating ones and gps forums.
If anybody is going to notice changes to their compass' it's these people. Strangely the forums I have seen are remarkably quiet on this subject.

This is an odd phenomenon by the way it seems my compass can be perfectly normal yet someone from the same area's compass is off. That's some serious localisation happening there, not only that it's even odder it is localised amongst the ATS/conspiracy site community and appears non existant amongst those who use compasses daily.

You can draw your own conclusions from that.
edit on 20-3-2011 by pazcat because: thought north was east and got lost

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

everything fine here in germany.
north is where north should be,

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Mag north and true north are always in different locales due to their natures. The magma flow underneath the earth's crust can and does affect compasses(mag north) and therefore can be used to locate anomalies during their cycles. I see clearly that most of the "pseudo-intelligent" people on here are arguing on this thread to discredit it. As a Electronic & Computer Engineer of 35 years, I can state that I have never concluded an idea based on faulty information. I am trained to go after the facts and to do the math that is behind every solid and stable science, and geology as a science has proven its credibility throughout human existence and understanding of it.

The sun's activities, the magma flow beneath the earth's crust even Planetary alignment can affect mag north and does. The fact that it cycles every 11,000 years(i believe this number to be correct from my memory) is embedded in the Earth's rock that has solidified over the number of years from shift to shift.Please, people of intelligence should already know this is to be established fact.Mag North is and has been jumping all over the globe since the Earth stabilized, and the crust cooled enough to form a solid surface. It is only when Mag north changes in its intensity that we should start to get concerned. Until I find out what is what, I will reserve my opinions for the time being, and will systematically research the proper channels to learn what is REALLY going on!

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join