It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

I`m in the south of Norway. Mine showed "false" readings yesterday as well. I have two different compasses.

This is indeed interesting

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byteman
reply to post by metro

Please pay no mind to the pseudo-intellectuals trying to derail this thread!

So the people who think that the North Magnetic pole has shifted to the North Atlantic are "intellectuals"?

How so?

The OP posted a link to a NASA article that details how the pole is shifting to Siberia. That would make North American compasses point Northwest to West. The OP still maintains it is shifting Northeast to East though.

So your lead "intellectual", the OP, cannot even remain consistent.

Look at a real world map. I live on the East coast. All declination maps of the US show that my location should show magnetic north right where everyone would think it should be. Compare the location of Pennsylvania to the location of Siberia, then consider the earths rotation and axis. Then, edit your post to reflect how wrong you are.

Thats my last sack of grain for the troll. Looking forward to the updated map at 6pm EDT.
edit on 3/20/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: Edited to show my higher level of maturity

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by br0ker
reply to post by Tollon

I`m in the south of Norway. Mine showed "false" readings yesterday as well. I have two different compasses.

This is indeed interesting

Norway is indeed a good location because magnetic declination there is roughly zero degrees (depending on precisely where you are) at present.

However, post evidence of your observations and that your compass is working, or it didn't happen.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Just to repost, this is my reading compared to the declination map:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by drphilxr

Hey, observation is a scientist's best tool. You have to encourage the youth to make them and to record the findings for astute deducements. Oh, my ATS has become a place where the follyphiles come to waste their time and spread ignorance, I have watched it go from a highly respected chronicle of truth to a cornucopia of primordial detritus!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Central Limit Theorems and Large Deviations for Variational Problems from HERE. A previous poster claimed to be an expert on everything, so sardonically I had to give you that link with what they had mentioned. Theorems, possibilities, and so therefore the post had to be trying to fool us with a bunch of high-flaluting edumacation. Yeah, post facts and not theories. We have readings from all over, the OP noted it, and we have posted our results. Those are facts, and even those PHD's can't explain it. They say we can't read our compasses. That's BS. That's an insult. It's not reading what it used to do, that's fact. Are TPTB trolling here, or what?

link   
Central Limit Theorems and Large Deviations for Variational Problems from HERE. A previous poster claimed to be an expert on everything, so sardonically I had to give you that link with what they had mentioned. Theorems, possibilities, and so therefore the post had to be trying to fool us with a bunch of high-flaluting edumacation. Yeah, post facts and not theories. We have readings from all over, the OP noted it, and we have posted our results. Those are facts, and even those PHD's can't explain it. They say we can't read our compasses. That's BS. That's an insult. It's not reading what it used to do, that's fact. Are TPTB trolling here, or what?

link   
OK, enough is enough.

Either y'all can discuss the issue at hand with something resembling civility, or other measures can be taken.

You've been warned.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter

Look at a real world map. I live on the East coast. All declination maps of the US show that my location should show magnetic north right where everyone would think it should be. Compare the location of Pennsylvania to the location of Siberia, then consider the earths rotation and axis. Then, if you haven't sprained what few braincells you have, edit your post to reflect how wrong you are.

Thats my last sack of grain for the troll. Looking forward to the updated map at 6pm EDT.

That is not true. On the east coast of the US magnetic declination varies by as much as 20 degrees, at least!

I don't think you have looked carefully enough into your claims before posting, and despite people pointing that out to you repeatedly, you continue.

www.magnetic-declination.com...

Moreover, this is exceptionally rude:

Then, if you haven't sprained what few braincells you have, edit your post to reflect how wrong you are.

Just as well for you I'm not a mod.
edit on 20-3-2011 by XtraTL because: Adjusted for tone

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I've read every word of the first 18 pages of this thread - lots of interesting explanations. I'm going to just throw out several ATS threads I've read since the birds started dying in January - for some reason they are all starting to connect in my brain like a dot to dot drawing. May sound nuts. . .but here goes. Stay with me as this might really ring some other peoples' bells, too.
Anyone remember the story about the military base being on lockdown in Utah?? or Nevada??? just about the beginning of the new year? The story they put out was that a vial of major league bad stuff had been misplaced/stolen. No one allowed on or off base for almost 24 hours. At the exact same time the announcement came out that the Tampa,FL airport would shut down main runways to correct problems related to gps changes. At same time MSM said all gps systems would be haywire for a while.
At virtually the same time as lockdown at military base - another ATS thread arises about a pyramid being found off the Atlantic coast of Florida - that the capstone had been removed and was going to be transported to the same?? military base that ended up on lockdown.
If you read the witness statements about the locked down military base - several said that they saw a gigantic helicpoter which appeared to have something lighted and glowing attached to it descending todward the ground. Other witnesses said they thought they saw UFO's.
Edgar Casey and many physics have predicted the reemergence of Atlantis at about the same time that Japan will "go under the waves". OK - just to draw this all together with the haywire compasses centered around the south/MidAtlantic region:
what if a pyramid was discovered off of the Florida coast in the Atlantic? What if they did move the capstone through the Tampa airport and on to the locked down military base - a base that works with all kinds of nasty stuff. the capstone was said to have been emiltting a profusion of gamma rays. what if there is a shifting of the Atlantic plate and land is mysteriously emerging - wouldn't that have an affect on compasses in the area showing up on the compilation map?? Great job on the maps by the way. So. . . what if?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11

Originally posted by autopat51
this is becoming a VERY ineresting thread
a pattern is forming

yes i am going to be watching this like a hawk, maybe if we can get reading from more places than the u.s., just to see if it is a regional or something that gives a bigger picture.

sorry i cannot help i don't have a compass. but it would be interesting to see how far afield is getting strange readings.

I've been following this thing for over a year now. I live in northern Finland and during this time the "north" has moved to east about 30 degrees. To complicate things, this "phenomena" is not static, at least not around my place. Every now and then my compass(es) show the magnetic north to be extremely east (about 40-50') from where it should be. It usually lasts less than a day and then it seems to retain its normal position - which is still very much east from where it should be.

I started to follow this regularly after a hiking trip with my school class about 1½ year ago. During the 5 day hike for a day everyone's compasses were showing north to be way off. We made a 20km extra trip even thou we argued with the leader from the very start that we can't trust our compasses. It wasn't a very localized occurrence caused by a lot of iron in the ground or similar, as the compasses were showing wrong for the whole day no matter where we went. The problem disappeared during the night and the next day there was no problems whatsoever.

I have a friend who is an army pilot (there is a military airport very near where I live) and he once said that many people in the military know about this and they're trying to figure it out.
edit on 20-3-2011 by PilgriMage because: Fixed a typo

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PilgriMage

I honestly believe we may be just tripping over the tip of this thing. Governments trying to figure it out, just shows that there IS something going on thats not normal.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Byteman

no conclusion has been made, the thread just noted compass readings were off and is trying to get readings from around the globe to see if there is a pattern.

it may very well be that people are reading their compass wrong however i have seen posts saying they are doing all the correct things and it is still off.

i have no reason to believe them and no reason to doubt them,

i don't see anything wrong with getting readings and then seeing what the results show, it may well show nothing.
but at the very least i think it is good that ATS members can share information and co-operate to look at things and look for patterns regardless of if it shows normal things.

it is at least good practice for any future things that may occur and could save lives if patterns can be established indicating something is amiss before a event.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

MOD NOTE: ATTENTION!!!

Please discuss the topic and not other members.

That means no belittling, name-calling, off topic posts, casting aspersions on another's character, talking down to other members, harassing or ridiculing others.

Further such remarks can and will result in post removals and/or warnings including temporary posting bans.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

MOD NOTE: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

Ad Hominem Attacks And You

Trolling, And What To Do About It

YOU are responsible for your own posts

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Just to repost, this is my reading compared to the declination map:

Note that you are posting a compass reading superimposed on top of a declination map. These are not the same kinds of reading.

Also, how did you get that reading? Please explain which landmarks you used to get angles and point us to a map that we can check.

Also, I thought you said your compass was pointing east. That looks north-east to me.

And where is the evidence your compass is working?
edit on 20-3-2011 by XtraTL because: Adjusted for tone as per mods

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberterius

Actually people did figure that out.

What is obvious is that you didn't read the whole thread, just so you could try and imply that no-one came to that conclusion.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I would like to point out that this is nothing new. You must know the variations of true north compared to your location in order to know exactly where you are on earth. This is why you need a map and a compass together. This is why their are mathematical formulas on some maps and compasses in order to find your location. I would like to say that in the last months and years there has been an alarming change in the polar location. Here is a story about it last month.

www.foxnews.com...

I think the real question, is not whats going on with this kids compass but what is going on with the movement to be speed up the polar situation? This may relate to my thread, about a Tunguska like event. What is going on with the entire situation. Whats could be changing poles rapidly? What maybe causing these earthquakes? Is there going to be another Tunguska????? Celestial Body anyone???? seriously place this in the bigger picture? Here is my thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 20-3-2011 by THEDUDE86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
OK. It is fess-up time. I have the compass that I mentioned from Finland but all I really know how to do with it is calibrate it and spin around in circles. So I am no compass expert. I learned to use a lensatic compass and topo maps in the infantry but that was a lot of years ago. So here is my anecdotal story. I live in SoCal just between L.A. County and what is called The Inland Empire. We are blessed to have the beautiful San Gabriel Mountains to our (sort-of) North fronted by our gorgeous Middle Earth like Foothills. The place is so pretty; ask anyone that lives here.
Anyhow all of us growing up here know the general location of Magnetic North. We know this from explaining it to visitors and our children who don't know it yet. Goes like this: "Uncle X, are the Mountains in the North"? and we say, "Not really, honey, the mountains are really kind of more to the West." Then we all point to what would normally seem like dead NE and say, "That is really the North".
Hope I made that clear ( it is anecdotal after all) because I have really checked it out this morning and North has changed! Amateur me with my amateur compass can see this clearly. North is now nearly dead on towards the mountains and no longer where I would expect to find it. I am excited and flabbergasted. Thanks for validating the purchase of this compass, MadDogTheHunter. I am firmly down on the side of something having seriously changed until shown otherwise. I know it is a leap but I am down with MadDog. Something is up for sure.
This is why ATS rocks. At the moment I would say that it is the kind of tenacious enthusiasm displayed by MadDog and friends that gets stuff done here on ATS. Whether we are put in our place or everyone settles down and realizes that at least in certain areas Compasses are Indeed Going Crazy. Thanks again. MadDog. Having fun and standing by

Just wanted to say; The compass I have is a Suunto Vector. I have become expert at calibrating it. I have re-calibrated three times this morning. North is not where I am used to it being. If you live in SoCal and understand what I posted above go out and try it. North is now dead on towards the San Gabriels instead of pointing to the 'Tetons' in Upland. Have a look.
edit on 20-3-2011 by Frater210 because: More

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by THEDUDE86

Actually, I posted that very same Fox News story back about 15 pages or so ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join