It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86

I am an asshole, i know that..

Just leave your input to that.

BTW, the only reason I originally posted was to point out a trend in what may or may not be occurring. Someone else who live in the same area I do posted results that were the same as mine. I had hoped for feedback from those who had appropriate input, but instead was met with criticism from those who would rather bad mouth others than be scientific and try to see if something is amiss for whatever reason. I'm not saying the poles are shifting, and I'm not saying they're not. For all I know there's some huge electromagnet that's causing compasses in the area to react this way. Please stop being part of the problem and try to be part of a solution.
edit on 3/20/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Fritzthecat

u dont reset ur compass for different airports...you reset your Heading Indicator which is a gyroscope that naturally wonders off of the magnetic north over a given time

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm not saying I believe this - it was just one of those wacky thoughts that went through my head.

If I had a military base on a island I would put out alter the magnetic field in the area so compasses are confused - it would make it very hard to map the area...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

I had considered the same, but there are no military bases within a 75+ mile radius of where I live.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Perhaps the Chinese satellites, Fengyun 1 C DEB’s are creating magnetic disruptions. I incorporate the AGI software in Goggle Earth. You can turn it off and on by going to the places tab.

“This KML network link visualizes all earth orbiting objects tracked by the United States Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) using the satellite database processed by Analytical Graphics, Inc. www.agi.com
using the Dynamic Geometry Library. All satellites are tracked in real-time and updated every 30 seconds.”
Currently, there are 8 of these satellites above the Eastern US alone.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

Yes it can.

When we do compass swings on aircraft we have to move it to a remote part of the field away from buildings, line etc. to get a true reading. and are supposed to be redone after any modification to the fwd bulkhead, or elevctrical equipment addition, as the lode can affect the EMF in the cockpit, slightly. Also lightning strikes also do the same thing. Some airfield don't even have a "rose" as we call it, because the location is unsuitable.

Try going into the garden. It won't matter so much, as any deviation in walking would only occur over a long distance, with constant interference, which wouldn't happen on the move

The compasses on aircraft are calibrated to take account for the metal structure before anyone asks!

But yes, minor fluctuations within a building will have effect, even if ever so minor.

Also what type of compass are you using. Does it have a balanced needle?
edit on 20/3/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Does anyone here have the scientific equipment(or access to it being it is extremely expensive) to measure mag norths intensity? That is what you should be measuring and observing, not its locale.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
it very obvious that alot of posters have not read the thread. we didnt just pick up our compass and go 'oh my god'. there have many links for your study and reading pleasure posted. magnetic drift does happen but on the scale we are now seeing? 10 15 degress or more? wild fluxuations on a daily basis..

here in Minneapolis, MN north is stil north...for now. magnetic north is aprrox 1 degree east with a possible .6 degree dift.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm new to this site, but I would just like to add that here in Connecticut the compass works just fine! North is North. I see many of you are compass professionals, but here are some tips for those who don't normally use a compass:

--Do not store your compass near metal objects or other compasses
--Make sure to use your compass outside (metal, electronic devices, etc will alter your readings)
--holding your compass near your smart phone compass will mess with both devices

I'm interested to see an updated map as well.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Do people who TRY to discredited ATS forums as a hobby, not read any credited sources provided in any replies?

What did I say to disparage the site as a whole?
Go ahead and quote what I said that disparages "ATS forums" as a whole.

Credited sources were read and explained. You just don't like our conclusions.

Apparently not.

Oh, I thought we were supposed to answer questions directed to us.
You've decided to dishonestly answer on our behalf.

Again, maybe these people can't believe what real Scientists say either.

No "real Scientists" have stated that the pole has shifted significant degrees to the equator. Certainly not enough to change magnetic North to Northeast or East.

Magnetic north IS moving at varying speeds per year, and IS noticeable with average compasses.....click the NASA article just to confirm what I post.

No, it only confirms that the pole is still in the geographic North pole. It hasn't shifted to where you say.

Also, the article says the pole is migrating towards Siberia. Like I said before, that would make compass needles in North America point Northwest to West, not East.

You do know where Siberia is in relation to North America right?

Doesn't matter when that article was published. Its proven, by people with real Degrees. Wheres yours?

Arguing from authority is a logical fallacy. Just because it's NASA or "scientists" doesn't automatically make them correct.

In this case, they are correct about magnetic pole migration, but it doesn't back your claim up that the pole has shifted to the Northeast to East. In fact it refutes it entirely, by stating the migration is to Siberia.

BTW, where is your "correct compass usage" degree and your "I checked every compass in the world and know I"m right" certification? You know, since you're so into degrees now. Where is your certifications that prove you know what you are talking about?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by clearmind

That is quite possible, it could just be that the degree change that was noted at Airport further east from you (almost 2 years ago) where the runway heading of 24 has now changed to 23, has now caught up with you over there.

Nothing to worry about though.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Interesting thread. For what it's worth I am currently in Chennai, India and my compass is showing ~67 degrees east when it's pointed north.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
if you had to use a real compass to 'calibrate' any compass on an electronic device, it means you device cant tell true north, its just using the gyroscope inside to calculate the direction YOU told it to point and would not change if the magnetic pole shifted.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'll post another screen cap of the map around 6 pm, EDST.

If I missed your location, add it to the map or u2u me with the location.
The map is open collaboration so anyone can add to it. Half expecting someone to put a smiley face on it.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
WHY HAS THE ORIGINAL POST NOT BEEN EDITED

WITH THE LINKS TO EXPLANATIONS OF

WHY THIS EXACT EFFECT IS HAPPENING,

WHY IT WAS EXPECTED

AND HOW IT WAS ALREADY

DISCUSSED BEFORE ON ATS?

edit on 20-3-2011 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

Ordinary Compasses Thrown Off by Changes in Earth's Magnetic Field
By Loren Grush
Published February 25, 2011
| FoxNews.com
Print Email Share

Gary A. Glatzmaier / UCSC
A computer simulation shows the Earth's magnetic field lines and two poles, with blue lines directed inward and yellow lines directed outward.
The Earth's magnetic field is changing at an increasing rate, throwing off airports and altering the aurora borealis -- and its effect on ordinary compasses could mean the difference between homeward bound and hopelessly lost.
Earth’s northernmost magnetic point -- or magnetic north -- is distinct from its geographic North Pole, and scientists have long known that the magnetic poles are on the move.
But the magnetic poles have been moving faster lately, sliding towards Siberia at 34 miles per year at a speed that's accelerated 36 percent over the last 10 years, according to the United States Geological Survey, or USGS.
Since compasses rely on magnetic north to point you in the right way up the trail, the average $2-dollar model could very well point you in the wrong direction. Depending on location and journey length, unaware hikers or boaters could find themselves hundreds of miles off course if they don’t calibrate for the shift, experts said.
“At Washington D.C., the compass points 10 degrees to the west of true north," Jeffrey Love, USGS advisor for geomagnetic research, told FoxNews.com. "And this is increasing at Washington at a rate of about 1/10 of a degree per year.”
RELATED LINKS
Magnetic North Pole Shifts, Forces Runway Closures at Florida Airport
Will the Earth's Wandering Magnetic Poles Cause Deadly Superstorms?
But don't touch that calibration dial just yet: The accuracy of compasses fluctuates with the field, he said, meaning compasses are more or less accurate depending on where you use them.
“It's different at different places on the earth,” Love said.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Thanks for the info. S&F&

...I've been watching the magnetic field fluctuations on the Japanese magnetosphere monitoring site that went down march 14, 2022. Thought the solar flares disrupted the field, caused earthquakes - but I was wrong I think. Seems that earthquakes bugger the field even more than solar flares.

Big earthquakes are becoming WAY more frequent, and I think they're mucking up our magnetic field big time.

...There were 19 quakes over 5.0M in the first 17 hours of Sunday March 20, compared with 9 on Saturday the 19th; 15 on Friday the 18th; and 11 on Thursday the 17th - according to the European-Meditteranean Seismological Centre.

Made a thread about it here: Strong Earthquakes Increasing. Disrupting Planet's Magnetic Field?

Please - tell me what you think about this...

link   
Hi, I have a really snazzy digital compass from Finland. I actually bought the watch because I thought it would be fun to have a dependable compass as we approach the whole 2012 thing. I hardly ever use it and really just enjoy pulling it out occasionally and calibrating the compass. When I saw this post last night. I ran to get it so I could check. I was so excited that it took me 3-4 minutes to realize that the thing is working fine. I even re-calibrated. There is no noticeable discrepancy.
The article that you are referencing is from 2003. I know that all interested parties here have seen it a long time ago. There was no reason for you to entitle this thread 'Compasses Going Crazy'
MadDog, Aren't you the guy who started the post on 'What has happened to ATS" What is your point here with this thread? Pull us all in with a sensationalistic title and then when the compasses are not going crazy split hairs over an article from NASA and the USGS from 8 years ago? Where is the conspiracy here?
OK, we get it. North is migrating some miniscule amount every year. How is this the same as compasses going crazy? Maybe I should just avoid these posts for a while when I see your avatar until you mellow out.

Holding expensive Finnish compass right now and North is still North. Just sayin'
edit on 20-3-2011 by Frater210 because: Benefit of the doubt

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Okay, not that I want to blame it for everything, but; fracking. Based on the maps there are issues in the general PA area, and down by New Madras/New Madrid. I know that there is fracking occuring in those areas. Which of the other areas showing anomolies are also subject to recent fracking? Texas appears to be okay. I know that they have shale there, are they getting to it by fracking or some other method? Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by billxam

Excellent work. Thats what I define as collaborative research.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I live in New York, with the same results.
It's funny about a month ago I was sitting discussing things with a group of friends and survival, my buddy pulled out his hiking bag and supplies, and his military compass was in there and we were all off struck by the compass pointing more eastward than north.
The poles are shifting gradually for now but sudden at some point, I would say the pole shift is causing the earthquakes and no thanks to the moon lately either ;P

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join