It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
I would like to say that in the last months and years there has been an alarming change in the polar location. Here is a story about it last month.

www.foxnews.com...

I think the real question, is not whats going on with this kids compass but what is going on with the movement to be speed up the polar situation?

There's no alarming change in polar location. It has been changing ever since it has been measured.

It's currently moving towards Russia at about 40 miles per year. For comparison the circumference of the earth is about 25,000 miles.

The rate that the poles are moving is slightly higher in recent years. However, this is not unexpected. The movement of the poles is chaotic and always changing, and the rate of change in the movement is also changing.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
elenin???
like i said earlier....what if it is magnetized??

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by cantsee4looking

It's not.
The compasses have not moved over night.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

but elenin hasnt appeared overnite??

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I've added the latest locations to the map. Norway, Finland, Ireland all have abnormal readings. Finland reading looks like it was from some time ago and notes variations over time, to be expected.

The area in North America looks like a ring with good readings, a ring with off readings and another ring with good readings. Not sure what to make of the European readings yet; not enough data.

Looks to be a northern hemisphere issue unless we get a lot more information from the southern hemisphere.

Link to map

link   
Yep, Just checked it again. It is not right. North was not there before. It was over there. I am starting to get a little nervous. Now I am starting to hope that someone will be able to explain this. I haven't checked in a long time but it has moved way too much to be due to a gradual and consistent change over time.

link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Just an FYI, those cell phone compass apps work off of GPS satelite position mapping, not magnetic North as a standard compass does. If your cell phone compass app is showing the wrong direction, it means you don't have an unbroken line of sight to the satelite or are in a spot where the GOS satelites are not directly overhead.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

www.magnetic-declination.com...

Thanks Extra.

Using that site, I should be 1.5 deg negative in the UK, but I am reading 25 deg positive.

Explaination of how that works
is on this page

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
If no one has yet, here is a link to a map of magnetic declination for North America:

www.o-tmettowers.com...

It should surprise no one that different areas yield different results.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Just an FYI, those cell phone compass apps work off of GPS satelite position mapping, not magnetic North as a standard compass does. If your cell phone compass app is showing the wrong direction, it means you don't have an unbroken line of sight to the satelite or are in a spot where the GOS satelites are not directly overhead.

Thanks for reiterating that fact. I had mentioned it many pages ago, but was told otherwise, so I just let it go.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

I think what is truly surprising, is the fact that so many are reading much more than 20 degrees off from either side of north, especially when common sense and known data say otherwise. Even at locations where the degrees are so close to 0.
edit on 3/20/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I don't trust sat-nav devices and have a nautical compass nailed to the dash of my Model T Ford. My wife sent me out to get some coal tar soap so we can scrub our horse hair shirts clean. Unfortunately due to the pole shift I got lost and didn't return until six months later. By that time my wife thinking I must be dead had remarried to our milk man Ernie. Not an ideal situation although we now get our dairy products free of charge.Every cloud.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Thats wrong.
Most Smartphones,if not all, today use a digital compass ic.
Those work very accurate but are also very sensitive to metals and electric
fields.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

haha..excellent.....love it...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I was just looking at this map on mass animal deaths and it looks similar to our "wrong" compass readings.

I would love to see an overlay if anyone knows how to do this.

Mass Animal Deaths Map

link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

I did not want to get into 'degrees' because I did not want to embarrass myself with my bad math. But after seeing that some people are showing up to a 20 degree discrepancy I have to say that that is about what my compass is showing as well but it looked so extreme a change that as a novice I did not want to say anything. But yeah, it looks that crazy here, too. The compass seems really off. Can't wait to find out what is going on. In my head or otherwise.
edit on 20-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by antibyte

Thats wrong.
Most Smartphones,if not all, today use a digital compass ic.
Those work very accurate but are also very sensitive to metals and electric
fields.

Actually if you stop and think a moment....all phone apps run off either Java or Flash coding, which quietly download information from the apps server as needed.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by minettejo
I was just looking at this map on mass animal deaths and it looks similar to our "wrong" compass readings.

I would love to see an overlay if anyone knows how to do this.

Mass Animal Deaths Map

That would be another excellent scenario to map out, hey, ya never know!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
How can I add my mark on the map? maps.google.com...,-63.28125&spn=36.695691,346.289063&z= 2

Edit: Duh, I got it!
edit on 20-3-2011 by HedyLamarr because: because I'm stupid

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join