It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And so it begins. Radiation finally reaches my area //might get evacuated

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hopefully this will help with perspective for others posting here:

I grew up in a military family/ military bases which is a completely different way of life than growing up as a "civilian". It's a completely different culture. Your parent may be the one actually in the military, but it very much influences every part of your life and environment It's very difficult to explain to someone who didn't grow up like that.

If the parents are told everything is ok by those in charge, then it's almost a reflex to 'obey orders' (even though it's not). There isn't as much free choice to do whatever you feel like doing, the parent(s) in the miltary can't just quit their job and take off (that would be considered AWOL & frowned upon). That's not exactly how I mean to explain it, but it's the best I can do in a few sentences. The point I'm trying to make, is that it's not a black & white matter as far as the parents deciding to evacuate or not.

Also, IF panic were to ensue in the civilian area, the miltary base is a really good place to be. They could be evacuated even faster than if they took off on their own. Plus, since they're leaving this Sat to the US, the parents probably factored in that they will be gone shortly anyways. School is probably continuing, if for nothing else, than to keep their minds occupied and not focusing so much on what is happening and start panicking. Even in total chaos, survival is higher if calm is maintained. As soon as you let yourself panic, it just unravels from there.

To the OP, I don't blame you for wanting to haul butt out of there. I can't imagine the stress of remaining in a scary situation for an extended period and trying to keep from panicking...but you're doing great. Very few people over there have control now over what is happening to them, so all that any of you can do is what you are able and pray that whatever happens is for the best.

I hope seeing how many people care is helping you, even a tiny bit, to weather this storm. Your parents are doing the best they know how - being a parent myself - I can tell you that the responsibility a parent bears in their heart over the safety of their child is immense. Just the thought of what all of the children are going through over there (young or older) is heartwrenching. And watching the parents over there, who can't protect their children from the tragedies happening, is...is just ripping my heart out.

Thank you for the posts and updates, what a remarkable young man you are. I wish you well.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
i am 51 and my tears go out in prayer for you and all whom are directly involved and the people and nation of japan! not forgetting all the other nations in direct area!
"i cried unto the lord and he delivers".....!, ps: 105 or 107 is what i do even at my age!.
take showers often! gargle with salt water!
edit on 15-3-2011 by bluewaterservant because: punctuation

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Japan updates these to a 6 out of a 7......This at 6:15 est....as a new fire breaks out at no.4....

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
my prayers are with you all please keep calm and remember your friends are here!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by onthelookout

Very wise post.

I never grew up on a military base, your input really helped me understand this person's situation more clearly.

You are probably right, to remain where he is, and to stay calm is the best strategy.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by iAnjo
What's bad is, my school knows this yet they still won't let us out. Teachers are panicking as well as students. We might get evacuated soon

Dude, are you nuts? Being in Japan-period you are screwed.
If you had an asma attack would you raise your hand to be excused and get an inhaler?

Geez, dude. Grow a pair and GTF (or H) out of there NOW.

lol at "they won't let us out" Do they keep you quarantined under 24hr lock down at your school?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by iAnjo

This is an illustrated guide from WHO (World Health Organization) on measures to deal with a radioactive cloud.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JadedAngel
reply to post by iAnjo

Nice to see the 1950's housewife doing all the work while hubby watches tv

I would also note that all the BBC news reporters (and I'm sure all of the others too) have geiger counters on them and would be running for the hills if their readings where worrying them so until they all leave I think your ok....
edit on 15/3/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Just want to say to the OP I hope you, your family and friends are ok. Stay strong, im not the religious type but my thoughts are with you and I sincereley hope that you will be alright.

Its nice to see so many ATS's despite all our different viewpoints on the topics we discuss forgetting any differences and showing support. Makes me proud to be part of this online community

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
....immense compassion and prayers go to you and all enduring this unimagineable tragedy. Please know that so many are praying for you and for the best resolution possible. I agree with what others have said; you are probably in the safest place possible. It makes sense that if there is an evacuation it will be much easier and probably safer for the military to handle it from base than to go around trying to locate those who chose to listen to some on here and high tail it out. I am sure your parents, teachers, and officers in charge are making the soundest decisions possible. As a parent myself, I am sure your safety is the most important issue to your parents. Bless you. Be strong. Be safe.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Another explosion, get ready radioactive material may be headed to tokyo any time now...

on.cnn.com...

GET OFF THE ISLAND WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

The nanny state will not save you!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

Do you have a link?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by vivalarevolution

Unbelievable

I sometimes wish we could give black marks as well as stars
edit on 15/3/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Godspeed man... get out ASAP, go anywhere at this point

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by iAnjo
Well right now the radiation is equivalent to an X-ray body scan but it's getting worse. What's bad is, my school knows this yet they still won't let us out. Teachers are panicking as well as students. We might get evacuated soon, but it's still 50/50. 3 are now in meltdown while the fourth one is on fire. May god help us all...

I'll put info on here later, I'll update for personal reference and for ATS to know...thanks.

Thanks and keep us posted please. My neighbors son went to Japan in January as an exchange student with U Maryland. He's about 60 mile south of Tokyo. No word from the university or the State Department if they are leaving or what. I guess there are around 3,300 students, contractors (US citizens) at any one time in Japan. Terrible situation for that country and it looks like it's getting worse before it gets any better.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

That fire lasted less than 30 minutes. It's been out for quite a while now. Yet it's still OMG BREAKING NEWS on all the international news sites.

reactor 4 - where the fire was - has been offline since late last year, and wasn't planned to be re-started for another 5 years. The fuel that is there is as dead as it gets. In 36 hours, they raised the temperature of the cooling pool from 40c to 84c. They're that radioactive. There is no indication that the fire that happened had anything to do with the spent fuel.

Yeah, time to bug out. Oh, wait, I can't. Maybe I should paint myself with iodine and eat a pound of seaweed to protect myself.
Maybe I can run around in circles screaming "omgomgomgOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!" until I fall over, maybe that will help?

Or maybe I should just go to work and get on with life?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Nori (seaweed) is very high in iodine if you family has some or can get some, maybe you could consume as much as you can. Since you have internet access, Google: seaweed iodine. This is a very common food in Japan.

Blessings to you and your family, I will pray for you all.

Seaweed and Iodine

Seaweed has such a large proportion of iodine compared to dietary minimum requirements, that it is primarily known as a source of this nutrient. The highest iodine content is found in brown algae, with dry kelp ranging from 1500-8000 ppm (parts per million) and dry rockweed (Fucus) from 500-1000 ppm. In most instances, red and green algae have lower contents, about 100-300 ppm in dried seaweeds, but remain high in comparison to any land plants. Daily adult requirements, currently recommended at 150 µg/day, could be covered by very small quantities of seaweed. Just one gram of dried brown algae provides from 500-8,000 µg of iodine and even the green and red algae (such as the purple nori that is used in Japanese cuisine) provides 100-300 µg in a single gram.

edit on 15-3-2011 by RedPill because: Add link and quote

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Nice to see the 1950's housewife doing all the work while hubby watches tv

Yeah, I noticed that too - the thought that crossed my mind when seeing it was "Hey honey, got those windows sealed yet?" Too strange.

reply to post by iAnjo

I think that you are in good hands. Listen to your parents - you will either be evacuated, or the radiation levels will drop. You have all of our prayers. Be safe.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kroms33

This bit stuck me as odd too...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2ada01d4030c.jpg[/atsimg]

Where are you meant to get natural, organic, fresh, unprocessed foods when A. you can't go out and B. your in a radiation zone

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join