It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 97.htm
<< 94  95  96    98  99  100 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

The update was posted 29 minutes ago, so the press conference was more recent. It seems they left out the "may have to" part.

Here's a translation:

"Tepco decided to immediately remove all personnel from the control rooms at Fukushima because radiation levels are way too high. Until now 50 workers were still at the site. That is extremely bad news.

That things are starting to get seriously wrong is also noticeable at the fact that Fukushima I falls into category 6 of the INES scale. Only Tsjernobyl was worse."

www.demorgen.be...

edit on 15/3/11 by Movhisattva because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Fourth Japanese Nuclear Reactor Explodes and Catches Fire

The tsunami-ravaged Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant’s No. 4 reactor caught fire and exploded on Tuesday morning, Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan’s office tweeted.

The fire and the hydrogen explosion have added to the already high radiation level at the Daiichi plant. The plant’s No. 1 reactor exploded on Saturday afternoon, No. 3 exploded on Monday morning, and No. 2 exploded early Tuesday morning.

An official at Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), which runs the nuclear plant, speculated that the explosion probably led to the fire. The explosion itself was most likely caused by hydrogen seeping from a pool storing spent nuclear fuel on the reactor’s fifth floor, Japanese media Nikkei reported.

TEPCO said that the fire, which broke out at 9:38 a.m. local time, appears to have been extinguished, according to Kyoto News.

Now Fukushima has approached, let alone surpassed Three Mile Island in terms of the nature of the nuclear accident. Radiation has leaked into the environment surrounding the nuclear facility to a radius of more than 24 kilometers (15 miles).

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Movhisattva

That is something I have noticed since being tuned in to actual Japanese sources... all other media outlets are going a little farther in their statements than the actual government that is dealing with the problem.

Now I am not downplaying this situation at all... it is very very serious, but until the Japanese conference/updates say something is definitely happening, I would wait and see.

That being said..... this facility will be abandoned soon in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
the last 50 workers there have already abandonded..

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Have seen a few Tweets coming through stating that TEPCO will have to Helicopter in water to keep the reactors cool due to expected power shortages over the next few days.

TEPCO: option of hauling water via helicopter into the reactors to cool off the waste pool fail due to power shortage
(CBS) 5 Min ago

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The downplaying of this situation is sad!

People could die if the government is not honest...

Slightly higher levels of radiation in tokyo is going to sky rocket!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
cctv news reporting that south korea are staging a full defence exercise

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

It's like bloody chinese whispers on here. Please read the facts. All staff were pulled out form the plant. The only ones staying were those trying to keep cooling running on the reactors. The Japanese PM stated "those that remain have put their health and lives at serious risk".

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by welshbeliever
the last 50 workers there have already abandonded..

You are half correct, about 50 did pull out.. but at least 50 more are staying of their own accord.

edit on 15-3-2011 by TwiTcHomatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
When did the radiation levels in Seatle raise to 51? and I see Denver is now 65 from 61 at 1:00am

www.radiationnetwork.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher

It's like bloody chinese whispers on here. Please read the facts. All staff were pulled out form the plant. The only ones staying were those trying to keep cooling running on the reactors. The Japanese PM stated "those that remain have put their health and lives at serious risk".

Look, I am stating what is released in the press conference.. even what you just said.. the facility is not completely abandoned. If all STAFF was pulled there would be nobody there trying to keep the cooling going.

In fact NHK just reported that there are at least 50 workers in the plant after the majority had left... so again, not completely abandoned as I was saying.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I know that this means nothing, but CNN is reporting that the 50 workers are still on site at the plant.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
was watching the video on youtube earlier about the guys that cleaned the chernobyl roof and they could only stay 45sec at a time on the roof so maybe there is 50 workers that has left the fukushima plant..then another 50 came..then they will leave and so on because of the radiation effects close range ?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
When did the radiation levels in Seatle raise to 51? and I see Denver is now 65 from 61 at 1:00am

I noticed that this morning as well...it was actually up to 68 at one point. I do notice there is a nuclear site quite close by.

Sorry I don't want to derail the thread, as I've been watching that site for updates to the west coast counts, which are still low (and god willing they stay that way)

Michelle

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

77 now????

130 Alert level, getting close
edit on 15-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Kyodo is reporting that TEPCO has become unable to pour water onto the spent fuel in reactor 4

-Reuters

Oh dear

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
If you happen to be new to this thread you may want to go back about 20-40 pages (maybe more) and get the real information. This thread has been way ahead of the curve. The fact that the MSM was showing stock footage of the reactors in their former shape this morning should tell you all you need to know. The ONLY thing you will be getting from TEPCO or the gov't will be a controlled release of information on a need to know basis. You can hope, prey and try to wish it away but the unthinkable has happened. A lot of brave people are suffering tremendously, please do not disrespect their sacrifice arguing over who is or isn't there, none of us are there so it doesn't matter. And like wise please do not disrespect those that have dedicated a tremendous amount of time explaining the situation as it happened.

My heart goes out to my fellow grunts.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours

77 now????

130 Alert level, getting close
edit on 15-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

no way radioactive cloud from Japan to reach Denver in such a short time ...minimum 4 days ....

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Thanks for the link to the radiation site.
Scary looking at how many nuke plants we have waiting to become ticking time bombs.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
For many years we have been warned by our fellow"space brothers" no to mess with nuclear tech, now this will probably be the worst lesson taught. Will we get the message?..don't think so.

I'cant blame Japs for anything because this disaster was enormous, beyond anything we have ever experienced since may be the industrialization. I'm sure people on the ground are doing their best to overcome this nuke disasters, but as far as I'm concerned, the situation is now beyond human capacity.

God help all the Japs who are efffectd badly from EQ, Tsunami, and now the nukes. My heart goes to them. God save them all.
edit on 15-3-2011 by MoonandStar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 94  95  96    98  99  100 >>

join