It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 569.htm
<< 566  567  568    570  571  572 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I can't remember who it was but someone was looking for the dimensions of the reactor buildings. Apologies if already posted but I found a pdf document for an earthquake response test done at Reactor building number one with it's dimensions.

Is about 58 m in height from the base of the foundation mat, the depth of embedment of which is about 14 m below ground level.
The building consists of a reinforced concrete structure up to a height of about 43 m from the base, and a steel structure and truss roof above this level. The reinforced concrete structure consists of six floors, Including the basement floor.
The plan dimensions of the building are 42 m x 42 m at lower sections, and 42 m x 31 m at upper sections.
The building is structurally isolated from the adjacent turbine building and radwaste building. The reactor pressure vessel is at the center of the building, surrounded successively by a concrete gamma shield wall, a bulb-shaped steel containment vessel, and a reinforced concrete.shield wall. The reactor pressure vessel is connected to the gamma shield wall with horizontal supports and the steel containment vessel Is connected to the gamma shield wall by a stabilizer. The containment vessel is also connected to the other reinforced concrete shield wall with shear lugs.

link to pdf

edit on 6/4/11 by MissTiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Babies, pregnant women to leave village outside evacuation zone

The village of Iitate near a crippled nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture plans to evacuate pregnant women, toddlers and babies amid a growing doubt among villagers about the government's radiation safety instructions, village officials said Wednesday.

link

The government should have gotten them all out of there a long time ago. Now the people are finally waking up and doing it themselves.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Japan Airlines calls for unpaid leave as quake hits demand

TOKYO : Japan Airlines on Wednesday said it is seeking 200 employees to volunteer for unpaid leave, as it tries to cut costs due to falling travel demand after the March 11 disasters and amid a nuclear crisis.

"Due to a drop in visitors and cutbacks in routes, we are seeking 200 pilots and flight attendants to volunteer for a month of unpaid leave," said Japan Airlines spokesman Taro Namba. The company employs about 12,000 people.

link

The ripple effect.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
CORRECTED: NEWS ADVISORY: TEPCO starts work to inject nitrogen into reactor to prevent explosion (22:53)

NEWS ADVISORY: TEPCO injects nitrogen into no. 1 reactor to prevent explosion (22:41)

link

*edit*

Nevermind, the news feed was wrong. They are about to inject nitrogen.
edit on 6-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Yet another dilemma for Japan regarding the collection of irradiated bodies:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Swedish Radiation Safety Authority concludes that the accident in Fukushima is a world record in radiation release in an interview in a Swedish newspaper:

"The amounts of radiation that are now released into to sea (from the Fukushima accident) has never happened before. We will get a lot of experience from this (accident)"

The newspaper article is about peoples opinion in Sweden to the plans to construct a Mega sized reactor (1800 MegaWatts of electric power) in Finland close to the Swedish border. The Fukushima accident is commented.
source: Source NSD (in Swedish)

And still the accident is INES 5!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
National Radiation Dose Map for Japan. Interactive.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknetium

And still the accident is INES 5!

We certainly know better than that!

They look more foolish every day that they spew that lie.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

...fragments ... of nuclear fuel from spent fuel pools ... were blown “up to one mile from the units,” and that pieces of highly radioactive material fell between two units and [were] “bulldozed over”... to protect workers at the site. The ejection of nuclear material ... during one of the earlier hydrogen explosions, may indicate more extensive damage to the extremely radioactive pools than previously disclosed."

Source: New York Times

The spent fuel rods are more radioactive than the "fresh" ones in the reactor. There were tons and tons of them in the pool. Now they are saying this stuff was spewed out for a mile all around the plant.

Let's reconsider that: ALL AROUND THE PLANT

That means this material went a mile out into the ocean, too.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Japanese government reviewing radiation exposure level for evacuation

The government is reviewing the radiation exposure level currently used to designate the evacuation zone around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, as the nuclear crisis triggered by last month's massive earthquake and tsunami continues to unfold, its top spokesman said Wednesday.

''The current standards represent safety in the event of absorbing a huge amount of radiation in a short period,'' Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said at a news conference, noting that some changes may be necessary as residents near the plant are at risk of being exposed to radiation over an extended period.

Currently, the government says that outside radiation levels of over 50 millisieverts require evacuation, and advises residents to remain indoors when levels exceed 10 millisieverts.

Based on the figures, the government has ordered residents within a 20 kilometer-radius of the nuclear plant to evacuate and those in the 20-30 km zone to stay indoors.

The Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan said it has advised the government to issue an evacuation order if there is a possibility of residents receiving a dose of 20 millisieverts over one year, up from the current limit of 1 millisievert per year.

link

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Thanks for the update. I'd just written up a post about injecting nitrogen and so I'll amend it slightly:

Originally I thought that provided they didn't inject liquid nitrogen that would cause a major reaction (due to extreme cold meeting extreme heat), then perhaps this wasn't such a bad idea. But then I thought: "Almost everything they have done so far has been a bad idea, so..."

Okay, that's an awfully cynical perspective, I know. But all the same, it bothered me because I knew that these reactors might be breached and so air is reaching the fuel rods, and also I recalled having read something about nitrogen and how it can react with zirconium -- and the fuel cladding is zircalloy.

Well, I dug through my cyber-pile of pdfs and found the relevant statement. (Right-click the image and select "view image" if you don't want to slide it left and right at every line):

The above is from page 77 of a report entitled:
Analyses of Plume Formation, Aerosol Agglomeration and Rainout Following Containment Failure

To get a copy, go to the NRC website here Document size is 7.67 MB. (This document also includes a photocopy of a JAMA report about the effects of radiation on Chernobyl victims and how they were treated.) [Note: it can be slow to load. Also, where I say "page 77", I mean for you to go by your .pdf viewer's numbering of pages, not the numbers that appear on some pages in the document itself. This document is a collection of bits and pieces from various sources and there is no consecutive numbering included.]

But back to the report: the key thing here is that if nitrogen in an oxygen-depleted environment comes into contact with zirconium, then it can cause an exothermic reaction that can lead to melting of the metal.

If they are going to inject pure nitrogen gas to exclude hydrogen (to prevent a hydrogen gas explosion), then it also means that the nitrogen will exclude most of the oxygen that's present. While this is also important to prevent an explosive hydrogen-oxygen mix, it will create ideal conditions for the zirconium alloy to react and could even cause an extremely volatile exothermic reaction!

I sincerely hope that they are not really going to do this. I can't offer any suggestions right now, except that they should use a gas that is inert with respect to zirconium, not one that can react with it!

Mike

edit on 6/4/11 by JustMike because: minor edit

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
So which is it?

98+% of imported seafood is untested:

"I think the concern is, the FDA doesn't have the resources to properly screen and then do laboratory tests. In the best of times, they only test less than 2 percent of seafood that comes from imports," said Hauter.

But then they say it's ALL safe:

But even with the new screenings, no one in the U.S. government is saying "stop eating tuna." So far, the FDA said every piece of imported seafood is completely safe.

Source

But then since most of the sheeple never even look up from their grazing of the latest mind-numbing TV drip feed they can just shovel larger and larger piles of excriment with no fear the smell will be noticed.
How in the name of anything can they say it's safe if they DON'T TEST IT?!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
G'morn Mike,

Since there has been no rhyme nor reason to anything TEPCO has done to this point...I'm betting this "new fix" hasn't been thought through, just like all the previous fixes. They obviously, to me at least, are in frantic mode...throwing anything, and everything at the wall to see what sticks. It's pitiful, the rest of the world can only sit and watch in horror.

Liquid Nitrogen causes nuclear fission as low-level cold fusion reactions to include lightning, AND full fusion reactions, sometimes at the same Time, from atoms, atomic particles, and subatomic particles of naturally occurring Chemical Elements in- and about Air molecules, True sponteous combustion, exactly as described by earliest Nuclear Weapons Engineers.

...spontaneous nuclear reactions of liquid Nitrogen as the catalyst: concussion blasts and other effects of Supers, Chains of smaller-than-100 MT nuclear bombs set off one after another for multiplied reaction, for the magnified effect: temperture decreases to -150 F with liquid Nitrogen multiplied x 3 to -450 F, including the use of dumping of tons of liquid Nitrogen fertiliser, liquid Nitrogen fuel... on a smaller scale, still from -150 F to -450 F, with liquid Nitrogen wart remover, liquid Nitrogen Paint Ball Gun propellant....

answers.yahoo.com...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: add link and content

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by MedievalGhost

But back to the report: the key thing here is that if nitrogen in an oxygen-depleted environment comes into contact with zirconium, then it can cause an exothermic reaction that can lead to melting of the metal.

If they are going to inject pure nitrogen gas to exclude hydrogen (to prevent a hydrogen gas explosion), then it also means that the nitrogen will exclude most of the oxygen that's present. While this is also important to prevent an explosive hydrogen-oxygen mix, it will create ideal conditions for the zirconium alloy to react and could even cause an extremely volatile exothermic reaction!

I sincerely hope that they are not really going to do this. I can't offer any suggestions right now, except that they should use a gas that is inert with respect to zirconium, not one that can react with it!

Mike

'it can cause an exothermic reaction that can lead to melting of the metal.'

Umm. Melting of the metal... as in melting the reactor vessel? This sounds bad, because TEPCO stated they are going to pump nitrogen into reactor 1 over several days.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
[
Currently, the government says that outside radiation levels of over 50 millisieverts require evacuation, and advises residents to remain indoors when levels exceed 10 millisieverts.

The Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan said it has advised the government to issue an evacuation order if there is a possibility of residents receiving a dose of 20 millisieverts over one year, up from the current limit of 1 millisievert per year.

The mean per hour:
50 millisieverts in one year is 5.71 microsievert/hour
20 millisieverts in one year is 2.28 microsievert/hour
1 millisievert in one year is 0.11 microsievert/hour

lets compare the radiation maps...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I have been back 4 pages and I cannot find these links to a TEPCO worker interviewed
Dated 5th Apr 2011. Forgive me if these have been posted before.

TEPCO Worker on Control Failures and the Culture of Silence

We Need Every Piece of Wisdom We Can Get

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Crazy, I know. They increased the yearly radiation limit by a factor of twenty.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
So which is it?

98+% of imported seafood is untested:

"I think the concern is, the FDA doesn't have the resources to properly screen and then do laboratory tests. In the best of times, they only test less than 2 percent of seafood that comes from imports," said Hauter.

But then they say it's ALL safe:

But even with the new screenings, no one in the U.S. government is saying "stop eating tuna." So far, the FDA said every piece of imported seafood is completely safe.

Source

But then since most of the sheeple never even look up from their grazing of the latest mind-numbing TV drip feed they can just shovel larger and larger piles of excriment with no fear the smell will be noticed.
How in the name of anything can they say it's safe if they DON'T TEST IT?!

Sheeple: *grazing, grazing* *looks up*
*grazing, grazing*

Need I say/show more?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
* NEWS ADVISORY: Unmanned copter to be brought from France to monitor Fukushima plant (23:38)
* NEWS ADVISORY: Nitrogen likely to be injected to Nos. 2-3 reactors in future: agency (23:22)

Kyodo News

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost

Crazy, I know. They increased the yearly radiation limit by a factor of twenty.

FWIW, that 1 milli level seemed kind of low, the normal dose from background radiation is 2-3. I'm not sure if it is correct or if it refers to some other level or limit.

top topics

<< 566  567  568    570  571  572 >>

join