It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 484.htm
<< 481  482  483    485  486  487 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by brocktoon

Originally posted by Styrge

The mysterious light somebody spotted from TEPCO webcam footage is an awesome find! There is an another mechanism to produce visible light from radiation besides cherenkow radiation. When ions created by a heavy radiation source (all ionizing radiation ionizes the air) meet the electron rich surroundings and neutralize, they give off UV-rays. (about 10 eV in energy) These in turn cause luminescence in nearby atoms and molecules. (By displacin valence electrons witch subsequently drop back to their original orbits, giving of 1-3 eV visible light.) This is how the northern lights work. Red is the wavelenght for oxygen and blue comes from nitrogen - familiar also from electric arcs!

The other mysterious light seen way above the plant could be explained this way also (that the Fox news clip was about).

Thanks for pointing this out. Cherenkov radiation needs to travel through at least two mediums to be visible. All those glowing rods you see in pools would stop glowing the second you pulled them out of the water. It is a refraction trick, to put it simply, like a pencil that looks bent when partly submerged in water (only on a sub-atomic level). Take away the water, no refraction, no bent pencil, no blue glow.

Not all blue light is Cherenkov radiation.

The blue light of a previous criticality accident mentioned by FOX news was not in water or steam. Some say it was either ionisation produced by the radiation, which just happens to be the same pale blue as Cherenkov radiation, and it's also been theorised or it was Cherenkov radiation within the eyeballs of the observers.

The blue light noticed in the webcam photos could have been Cherenkov radiation transmitted through escaping steam, or it could have been ionised gases.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Actually, the Australians are correct to be concerned. Because of this:

australia cross-equatorial bifurcation

This little-known atmospheric phenomena links Oz to the Northern Hemisphere by means of winds. It formed the plot for the movie

Great classic movie. Yes, Northern Australia does get a monsoon and that is a concern for Northen Australia. Melbourne is in the South East. That phenomenon isn't an immediate radiation carrying threat in any event. It is March now and the Australian rainy season which falls across Northern Australia not South East typically ends February. Of course the weather has been a little odd lately.

BTW I did not at all mean there is no cross over between hemispheres. Eventually there is. But that takes a while.

Look. Getting readings globally is desirable. Plenty of data is good. But there is no point at this stage in one mother with two little kids going into a panic over one source of still very low readings taken in Australia which do not at this stage indicate in themselves source. There a many various reasons for those readings. For a start we need another source confirming them.

It makes no sense at all for that poster to be encouraged into a panic by this.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SDoradus

it already is both locally and internationally, that neutron source is killing japan,

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Tallone

or anyone , but be realistic, this thing is a GLOBAL disaster the likes of which the world has never seen, and it's far from over , remember though people only scare themselves, I hate to say it but : when times get tough...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
well we have good news and bad news

Good news is

Energy Secretary Steven Chu said Friday that roughly 70 percent of the core of one reactor at the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan had suffered severe damage.

only 70% damage...woot!! ( yeah right)

Bad news is

Mr. Chu cautioned that the figures were “more of a calculation”

it's Another friggin guess!!!

NY TIMES

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

This is where I got the water story- been repeated often enough: YOGN-115

As low as it is sitting it's at close to full capacity weight wise. If it indeed held water though I'd expect a full 8 foot draft.

Density of diesel fuel per cubic foot:
Diesel 1D 54.6
Diesel 2D 53
Diesel 4D 59.9

Density of fresh water per cubic foot
Water 62.5

Anyone feel like doing the math for me

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

" It would NOT be possible" sir , were you not a non-com ?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

way too low in the water ( salt water has a higher buoyancy than fresh )

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LilFox
reply to post by silent thunder

And the reading where I am, Melbourne, Aus.. 0.23 µSv/hr

In Upper Ferntree Gully right now, (40k east of Melbourne, Australia,) It's 0.15µSv/hr outside, which is normal here. It's usually 0.16µSv/hr inside but right now it's 0.14µSv/hr inside.

The slightly higher radiation inside is most likely radon from the creek under the house. We don't worry about it because we like to keep the windows open day and night anyway.

I've been testing each day, but not seen any more change than 0.02µSv/hr up and down from those levels.
Not that I'm expecting to see any change here, I just like checking to make sure.

- Measured on a Radex dosimeter.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Why?

Hide the evidence that will turn the entire world against an industry that make untold billions annually built by Global Corporations, sponsored by countries and run by monopolies.

Ya know, the standard conspiracy theories apply here.

BlackSheep

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
OK figured it out despite having a couple good glasses of whiskey in me...

Max capacity for water would be 340,500 gallons so it is loaded 65,000 gallons under max. according to the news reports.

Seems to pan out as far as capacity goes but she is riding higher than if she was loaded with water. If she had close to a max load of water she'd be a lot closer to maximum draft.

I'm still sticking with diesel in her holds. The only reason I can see for any kind of deception in regards to this barge is that they're still using generator power for a lot of necessary operations and have previously stated line power was restored.

I could be utterly wrong though- I'm just guessing until I do the more complex math on densities.
edit on 1-4-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
A couple of guys have asked me to clarify the hole in #3 turbine room coming from a prior blast debris impact.

Red arrow indicates large part of #3 skidding across roof (assuming a chunk of concrete). Note dark reddish coloration on the far side of hole in direction of travel. Whatever skidded across caught the far side of the hole. It would not be possible for something traveling in this direction to catch on the near side.

Teal circle shows lightweight debris from #3 laying on top of the skid mark in no particular pattern indicating these items fell to the roof after the chunk of #3 did it's skipping stone routine on the roof.

Hope this clarifies my analysis

link   
Well if you needed extra fuel for thought:

Let us suppose the fuel melts down to the water table.

We'll get :
1- Geysers of steam.
2- Melt cools a bit.
3- Geysers of steam -again-.
4- Japan now gets a new land feature, aka the Old Faithful of Nuclear meltdowns.

Or would we get the entire face of the shore line under the plants steamed away?

Or a continuous steam eruption, aka the Old Faithful of Nuclear Meltdowns that never stops blowing?

Neither of these ideas give me any comfort.

M.

link   
reply to post by Silverlok

I am being so very realistic. How could you be otherwise attending a thread with content like this one every other day. Like your posts by the way. Very informative.

Yes, definitely its a global thing with repercussions for everyone.

Precisely what those repercussions are going to be is not clear yet. It all depends where you are located and what happens next.

Bu I don't think we it does any good going coldly clinical where people are concerned. Panic no good. Information good.

Edit
As you can see from Kailassa above the readings taken by LilFox in Melbourne are not being verified. At least not so far. So that particular person who posted expressing fear for herself and her kids at the posts from LilFox is over reacting at this point.

edit on 1-4-2011 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
For those claiming the matter leaking out the side of #4 is water or a water/debris slurry check out this video @ 1:22 - 1:26.

Water typically MOVES when it is on a vertical surface. Just sayin.....

Fuku HD Flyover

oops ha.ha I agree

edit on 1-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by zenzen

Please forgive my slow reply. I'm struggling to keep up at the moment.

Briefly, the reason I would discount that magnitude 4.5 is simply because it's way too powerful. A 4.5 would release more energy than 21 Chernobyl explosions, or more than 18 MOAB bombs all going off at once in the same place. If that had happened at Daiichi, I expect there would be just a large crater in the ground and virtually no buildings standing at all within a radius of several hundred metres.

That set of seismo traces you linked to for the mag 4.5 quake event is very hard to read in detail because the time scale is so compacted. What I mean is that it's very difficult to see at what exact moment the P wave arrived, and how many seconds and fractions of seconds later it was when the S wave hit. Generally, to pick out the finer details of the arriving P wave then the S wave, it's much easier when the scale is "stretched" more. Seismologists have software that lets them zoom in on such traces and even study them in magnified sections a hundredth of a second long or less if they wish. There is a free product called GEE that you can download that lets you watch seismos and their traces of quakes virtually in real time and which also allows you to zoom in. I use it a lot and it's excellent.

Most organizations like USGS, GeoNet, EMSC and JMA, do provide near-real-time data but sometimes there can be lags or delays. They can also provide seismo and webicorder data in near-real-time, but to save going off topic too far I'll just say that one of the best ways to get more info about this is to visit the Quake Watch 2011 thread. Heaps of good info there. Puterman (one of our quake geeks) and TrueAmerican (another) also are mines of information and often post there. Puterman especially has links in his signature that will help a lot if there's anything you wish to track down or find out.

In summary and to stay on topic, I am fairly confident that the 11 a.m. event corresponds closely to the reported building #3 explosion time and also matches well in magnitude. The 11:11 am event is too powerful (thankfully)!

My friend...Green tea or black?

Mike

logarithmic scale ( hint hint)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

In Upper Ferntree Gully right now, (40k east of Melbourne, Australia,) It's 0.15µSv/hr outside, which is normal here. It's usually 0.16µSv/hr inside but right now it's 0.14µSv/hr inside.

Makes me think....

Maybe in the not too distant future, the Weather Channel will be giving the forecasts to include milliSieverts/Hr.

So you can know when to send the kids outside etc. Like a comfy temperature range.

Seems wrong I know, but the way things are developing..... No end in sight to closing those smoking holes in Japan...unprecedented nuclear accident, and nobody that I trust really knows the truth.....that is until I receive my NIST traceable calibrated dosimeters. I will post readings, I should receive them late next week.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Found a very interesting write up here at The Washington Post.

The detail in the radioactive elements is as extensive as I have found...

Its Nuclear Forensics

It is on the conservative side in that it sides with the thought that fission was halted in the Fukushima Crisis.

arxiv.org...

Nontheless, its a wealth of information, and well worth the read.

And the lack of other short-lived isotopes — especially iodine-133 — indicates that the primary safety systems at Fukushima kicked in as planned during the earthquake and shut down fission in the reactors. Halting fission starts an atomic clock of sorts in which quickly decaying isotopes vanish within hours or days. Andreas Knecht of the University of Washington team said their Seattle detector can sense iodine-133 up to seven days after a reactor produces it, but has found none.

The detection of still another isotope, tellurium-132, offers a further clue about the source of radioactive emissions from Fukushima. Fuel rods sit in pools for months or years, releasing fewer and fewer different isotopes over time, and — unlike hotter fuel rods — they don’t produce tellurium-132. Spotting that isotope, as the detectors have, points to a damaged reactor core.

By putting these radioactive puzzle pieces together, the Seattle team was able to conclude in a paper published March 28 that fission in Fukushima’s three active cores was halted during the earthquake, and that the reactor cores launched radioactive debris into the air on clouds of steam shortly thereafter. www.washingtonpost.com...

However...it does demonstrate that there is an extenisive amount of information, facts that are being kept
under wraps for whatever reason.

edit on 1-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Found new photo indicating it is carrying water (pure)..if this is the same barge...for what it's worth.

A U.S. military barge carrying pure water (L) is towed by Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force Yard Tugboat No.79, near No.1 reactor of Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in Fukushima Prefecture, in this photo taken March 31 and released by Japan's Defence Ministry April 1, 2011. Picture taken March 31, 2011.

link

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo

Originally posted by apacheman
Darn, doesn't anyone know where the restrooms are?

Still can't find squat
on the sewage system for that site.

I read somewhere possibly on this site. They use portacabins. They are all full.

The workers are having to squat over contaminated land till the roads are cleared and the toilets can be emptied.

Ummm, yeah, but I am asking about the original restrooms in those buildings. Were they on the ground floor or basement? More importantly, are they now covered by water?

You see, i've been thinking about the manhole covers reported as "blown off" by the firefighter when he arrived. I submit that they were blown off by the explosions, not displaced by the tsunami. To be displaced by the tsunami would mean that the tunnels the covered would have been filled with water from the sea and the covers were pushed off, in which case they'd most likely be hundreds of meters away. If they were instead blown off by pressures entering the maintenance tunnels during the balst.

Now the question then is how were they connected to the buildings? Was there a doorway into them from the buildings proper or were there only entrance tubes for plumbing and wiring. In my experience, the tunnels would most likely end in a concrete wall through which wiring and plumbing enters tubes into the building.

So how did the manhole cobers get blown off? It matters which manholes they were, dry or wet or both.

I suspect that the explosive pressure flushed every toilet in the place at once and blew out the sewage system with overpressure: sewage systems are unpressureized normally, but I don't know about nuke plants.

Redneck? Where's the toilets in your plant?

That would give another route for radioactive water to leak. The pipeways are weak points in the subsurface structure and are likely shattered now, but still pathways.

new topics

<< 481  482  483    485  486  487 >>

join