It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 410.htm
<< 407  408  409    411  412  413 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

"While it's not the level harmful to human health, I am not optimistic.

Not harmful to humans right? ONE MILLION OF A GRAM will give you cancer if you breath it in.

And I bet there's more than that around the plant if they found 5 spots of this stuff. The Japanese government is just a bunch of big liars.
edit on 29-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
reply to post by SDoradus

Ok.

But what in the heck do you do with a radioactive sandbag?

It just baffles me for some reason.

Put the radioactive sandbag in 55 gallon drum lined with a sheet of lead.
Drop the drum 20,000 feet down off the coast of Japan.
Apparently, Yucca Mountain is Out - of - Order by order of Obama.
edit on 29-3-2011 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Is there room in those drums for the reactor Exec's?

And most of the MSM?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The latest update I have found:

Richard Lahey, who was head of safety research for boiling-water reactors at General Electric when the company installed the units at Fukushima says that Reactor 2 has not only a breach, but that its core has melted through the bottom of its containment vessel.

Someone refresh my memory, have we entirely ruled out the possibility that Number 2 contained MOX?

Japan may have lost race to save nuclear reactor

The radioactive core in a reactor at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant appears to have melted through the bottom of its containment vessel and onto a concrete floor, experts say, raising fears of a major release of radiation at the site.

The warning follows an analysis by a leading US expert of radiation levels at the plant and readings from reactor two at the site made public by the Japanese authorities and Tepco, the utility that operates it...

At least part of the molten core, which includes melted fuel rods and zirconium alloy cladding, seemed to have sunk through the steel "lower head" of the pressure vessel around reactor two and onto the concrete floor of a drywell beneath, Lahey said.

"The indications we have, from the reactor to radiation readings and the materials they are seeing, suggest that the core has melted through the bottom of the pressure vessel in unit two, and at least some of it is down on the floor of the drywell," Lahey said. "I hope I am wrong, but that is certainly what the evidence is pointing towards."

www.guardian.co.uk...

Also just uploaded to You Tube today...

Part I - "Fukushima - Undoubtedly the biggest nuclear disaster since Chernobyl" - A.Gopalakrishnan

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted yet:

The radioactive core in a reactor at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant appears to have melted through the bottom of its containment vessel and on to a concrete floor, experts say, raising fears of a major release of radiation at the site.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Also, I feel this tibit of news from W7VOA pretty much sums up how this has gotten so bad:

#Japan gov't agrees choices for #Fukushima: A) flood reactors & spread radioactive water B) risk meltdowns/recriticality. "A" chosen.

Option A probably was the only thing they could have possibly done.

twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by tomjones69

The rain is a good thing it'll knock much of the dust out of the air.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Good Morning World....

Anything blow up last night ?

I see they have implemented "Operation Yashima"

Now that keyword comes from an animation that deals with weapons, but seems they are using it in this case to save power. Its on NHK tight now

Just google it...

I wonder if Godzilla will soon be dredged up

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

Actually you can, but you ain't gunna like it. Don't go out, and don't shower. Save your water. If you do go out, it will cost you water, because you'll have to suit up and shower. Filter your air and seal your space. at minimum use a carbon scrubber, though you can use a series of bubblers and misters, etc, all you can really do is scrub particulate from the air (and hepa filters are expensive and high maintenance considering you can achieve a similar effect using cheaper more reliable parts. Surviving such an event would be bad but if you have no choice guess the best you can do is all you can do. Be ready for everything, spend more time learning if you have to, this is the time to learn what to do while there is still a window of time to do so. There's still time to get ready.

Plan to stay at home -- but if your home is inadequate, consider moving somewhere else, FAST, with your supplies where you can make a sealed space but also be surrounded by lots of water, metal and concrete. Then plan for it -- if radiation is that bad there are going to be plenty of empty buildings, pick a few that look ideal and make not of them.

If things get too bad, you may have to flee -- plan where you are going to go to get away from the immediate fallout. Here on the west coast, go north east, or directly south (and keep on going even). Pick one, freezing cold hell in the winter, or warm tropical paradise, or take whichever is safer or faster or whatever.

If you have time use old crt tv's and monitor's against your wall to improve shielding, they contain plenty of lead. Use water containers to block radiation (but try not to cave in the structure you are in with too much weight -- this is not apartment friendly).

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
reply to post by SDoradus

It was startling to hear the reporter going off about the flooded radioactive tunnels in the first place, and then to hear that the water was within 10 cm of cresting, and then to hear that they are going to use sandbags....just added up to a pile of crud to me.

What would you have them do? They are trying to contain the problem to the plant site. Once the radioactive water get's into the sea you can't get it back. I'm sure that they would like to build a 10 meter containment wall around the whole plant area and put a lid on it but for now? Sandbags can be deployed right now.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator I seem to recall another infamous thread, with a guy who named is favorite blade "The Good News".

My favorite is ELIGOR
One of the Seven Sword of Wayland... how I got it is a long story

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

If this is true and the fuel rods have completely melted down and melted though the containment vessel than we have reached the point of no return. There is nothing stopping the uncontrolled chain reaction. The China syndrome is a real possibility now.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
NHK live update NOW

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator I seem to recall another infamous thread, with a guy who named is favorite blade "The Good News".

My favorite is ELIGOR
One of the Seven Sword of Wayland... how I got it is a long story

before the thread gets on topic again, I see you are in the SCA ..I used to be, I didn't fight much but really loved the roleplay aspect ..although at the Grand Outlandish I really enjoyed the drinking aspect
have you ever been to Outlandish?

I am now in Aten, .. I would love to get back in (or just start doing it again), but age and life have me busy these last 20 years.

Anyway just wanted to acknowledge that.
edit on 29-3-2011 by bitbytebit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

edit on 29-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: answered

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

I am looking for other write-ups, maybe a Gaurdian exclusive.

More by Lahey from same article...

The major concern when molten fuel breaches a containment vessel is that it reacts with the concrete floor of the drywell underneath, releasing radioactive gases into the surrounding area. At Fukushima, the drywell has been flooded with seawater, which will cool any molten fuel that escapes from the reactor and reduce the amount of radioactive gas released.

Lahey said: "It won't come out as one big glob; it'll come out like lava, and that is good because it's easier to cool." The drywell is surrounded by a secondary steel-and-concrete structure designed to keep radioactive material from escaping into the environment. But an earlier hydrogen explosion at the reactor may have damaged this.

"The reason we are concerned is that they are detecting water outside the containment area that is highly radioactive and it can only have come from the reactor core," Lahey added.www.guardian.co.uk...

edit on 29-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Now Sweden has gone the deep end.

Sweden tells citizens to begin taking iodide tablets if within 150 miles of Fukushima — Includes Tokyo

… [T]he Swedish Embassy is recommending on its website that citizens within 250 km of the Fukushima plant take [iodide tablets] once every three days.

An embassy official was unavailable for comment.

“The recommendation by the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority that all Swedes who are staying within a radius of 250 km from the Fukushima No. 1 power plant to take iodide tablets every three days is still valid,” the embassy’s website, last updated Saturday, says. “Best protection against radioactive iodine is to take iodide tablets before the exposure, as doing so afterward will prove too late.” …

This is it.

Evacuate Tokyo.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Okay NHK update.

Evacuation now 'recommended for 30Km range but not forced yet. Workers in radiation gear are trying to help move out elderly

For the reactors...

NHK now showing that indeed the radioactive water goes directly to the turbine

They were saying that the water spraying was on the OUTSIDE of the reactor to try to cool it but that volume of water is a problem. Diagram showing path of water from basement to exterior tunnel beneath the full storage tanks. You can see where the ocean is on the right

As they explained it, they mentioned the plutonium and that indicates the core is indeed melting, but they don't know by how much yet and TEPCO has come up with no way to remove the contaminated water

People that can are starting to flee the area, but gasoline is in short supply

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
NHK has a Twitter account... they are inviting comments. I missed the address... will catch it next cycle

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Here's another "sync-up" on the latest available press releases and other material (most recent first, some possibly already posted previously):

Fukushima I nuclear accidents: [Wikipedia Page]

Latest IAEA updates: [Link]

Latest TEPCO releases:
  • Plant Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (as of 8:00 PM Mar 29th) [English]
  • Status of TEPCO's Facilities and its services after the Tohoku-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake(as of 4:00PM) [English]

Latest JAIF releases (in English):

• Reactor Status and Major Events Update 46 - NPPs in Fukushima as of 20:00 March 29 [English]

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Just wanted to offer a prayer. A special prayer for the children of Japan.

top topics

<< 407  408  409    411  412  413 >>

join