It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 289.htm
<< 286  287  288    290  291  292 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
no one knows the extent of the damage. but its worse then what we think

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The spent fuel pools are of significant concern, Marvin Resnikoff, a radioactive waste management consultant, said in a Wednesday press briefing organized by the nonprofit organization Physicians for Social Responsibility. Resnikoff noted that the pools at each reactor are thought to have contained the following amounts of spent fuel, according to The Mainichi Daily News: • Reactor No. 1: 50 tons of nuclear fuel • Reactor No. 2: 81 tons • Reactor No. 3: 88 tons • Reactor No. 4: 135 tons • Reactor No. 5: 142 tons • Reactor No. 6: 151 tons • Also, a separate ground-level fuel pool contains 1,097 tons of fuel; and some 70 tons of nuclear materials are kept on the grounds in dry storage. The reactor cores themselves contain less than 100 tons of fuel

source

6% of (160 short tons pool+reactor) = 8 708.9735 kilograms (6% of the Fuel#3 is MOX) source

6% of (8 708.9735 kilograms) = 522.53841 kilograms (6% of MOX is Plutonium in fuel for Reactor#3) source

522 Kilograms of Plutonium in Reactor 3 and Pool That's my best guess

edit on 3/22/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/22/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
reply to post by bitbytebit

Is that it? That is so weak it doesn't tell me very much. This is something that is administered in medicine there has to be better and more specific information, this msds is so vague it is almost useless.

What are you looking for?

the exposure maximums are there ..my google fu is really good, so what are you looking for exactly
edit on 22-3-2011 by bitbytebit because: maximums not minimums

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

For the more mathematically inclined, here is a bit more about the spent fuel pools.

More on spent fuel pools at Fukushima

Because the fuel in the Unit 4 pool is hot, the water in that pool will evaporate water rapidly. If the water in the pool had been heated to boiling temperature, then heat from these assemblies would be enough to boil off about 3 tons of water every hour, or about 70 tons per day.

This amount of water would have to be replaced each day in Unit 4 to make up for that boiled away, and leaks in the pool—which have been reported—would increase the amount required. If the fuel is already partially uncovered, significantly more water would need to be added to cover it again.

Lots of math on that site.

edit on 3/22/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
Yeah, that doesn't seem right.
Why would they try to cool a reactor that was shut and all fuel removed prior to the earthquake?

There was a report before about one of reactors that was shut-down for inspection, still had some fuel rods in the reactor also. However, I thought that was not #4.
I suspect that either the media has the unit # wrong (maybe it's #2 instead of #4?), or whoever they just quoted got them mixed-up. I guess we'll have to wait and check for correction or clarification.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Excellent find!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I was airing my thoughts about this at a friend's house tonight. Well her eyes started to glaze over so I continued the conversation with myself.

I wondered if one of the aims of continuously dousing the reactors was so that Team 'B' could dash in when the levels weren't so bad and remove the fuel rods which hadn't started to melt. I wondered whether this had been going since the beginning?

I wondered if they were resigned to entombing the FUBAR reactors AFTER they'd removed as much as possible, and I wondered if the road and rail networks were clandestinely being used to transport anything they could salvage from the supplies of radioactive fuel there?

If they are, and it means they are readying the area for burying then great!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by 00nunya00you'll see both those places had much higher levels of radiation BEFORE the quake. So, what's your explanation for that?

No worries... we eat radiation for breakfast down here in Vegas
Though we did wait for the winds to blow to Utah before detonating all those nukes

I thought they switched to underground nuke explosions.
They wanted to make sure the plutonium triggers worked reliably.
It looks like the surface of the moon up there on Google Earth.
It's also right next door to Bob Lazars S4 - Papoose Dry Lake.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator

Originally posted by makeitso
Yeah, that doesn't seem right.
Why would they try to cool a reactor that was shut and all fuel removed prior to the earthquake?

There was a report before about one of reactors that was shut-down for inspection, still had some fuel rods in the reactor also. However, I thought that was not #4.

NISA Nuclear and Industrial Saftey Agency - Seismic Damage Information (the 43th Release)(As of 18:00 March 22nd, 2011) PDF

Unit 4 (784MWe): in periodic inspection outage

・ Because of the replacement work of the Shroud of RPV, no fuel was inside the RPV.

edit on 3/22/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by richaado

I think this is a great explanation. I've been wondering myself about what they're trying to do when they spray to lower the radiation; I don't think many people in this thread believe they're actually trying to cool anything down with their little hoses. You're on our wavelength!

Redneck explained how this always creates steam which helps the hot air rise quicker, which brings in fresh colder air at ground level and makes the readings there much lower. They must know what Redneck knows, as it's so simple once you think about it, so they're most probably using this tactic to try to make it right, and not just stupidly making the situation worse by spreading more radiation with steam.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Radioactive particles believed to be from Japan detected in Iceland
''It's only a matter of days before it disperses in the entire northern hemisphere,'' Andreas Stohl, a senior scientist at the Norwegian Institute for Air Research, was quoted as saying. Stohl said there would be no concern about human health over Europe, according to Reuters.

Link Kyodo News

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissTiger

Originally posted by Moonbeams771
For anyone who is interested...

The EWI Energy Center has organized a conference call and webinar that will give you access to experts from the nuclear industry regarding the situation at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. They will provide you with the chain of events, without sensationalism or hypotheses, regarding what has transpired in Japan over the last week and half. You will hear directly from the experts and will have an opportunity to get your questions answered.

HERE

The webinar takes place Tuesday, March 22, online, 2-3pm EST. It is open to the public and the news media.

More info

Does anyone think it might be possible for us to make a list of some questions that no one has been able to answer so far and submit them to the website mentioned above? I don't know anywhere near as much as what alot of people on this thread know and I wouldn't want to waste time asking things that aren't important.

Re-posting this for MissTiger.
Is anyone able to check it out?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Listening-in now ...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

On this call ...

David Blee – Nuclear Infrastructure Council
Lake Barrett – Former Deputy Director, Office of Radioactive Waste Management
Marc Goldsmith – Principal, MGA LLC & Former VP, Stone & Webster
Edward Davis – Former President, American Nuclear Energy Council
Dan Yurman – American Nuclear Society
Nate Ames – Director, Nuclear Fabrication Consortium

From the "Nuclear Fabrication Consortium" ...

I only caught the last 15 minutes or so of it.
Mostly, they debated about the different evacuation recommendations.
I think there were some remarks about the US evacuation range (50 miles / 80 kilometers) being based on a recommendation by somebody not "as experienced" (compared to others in the industry - who it is implied should have been consulted instead).
"Entombing in place" unlikely, if only a "partial meltdown" - as opposed to "Full meltdown" also described as "core-on-the-floor", as in core melts out of the primary containment (reactor pressure vessel / PRB) and dumps onto the floor of the secondary containment structure.

Note: Webinar was also recorded, so others (with better knowledge of this stuff than me), can go back an play it later and review. PS: Can't play-back the webinar from that link. Maybe a new link will be posted on their web-site with an archive of it.

edit on 2011-3-22 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Fixed some spelling, etc.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Thanks for the report.

I will try to catch the recording after work.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Heres another article about the radioactive particles found in Iceland

Tiny traces of Japan radiation spread to Iceland

VIENNA/OSLO (Reuters) - Minuscule numbers of radioactive particles believed to have come from Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant have been detected as far away as Iceland, officials said on Tuesday.

Traces of iodine-131, below levels of concern for human health, were discovered in an air filter used at a radiation monitoring centre in Reykjavik at the weekend, the Icelandic Radiation Safety Authority (IRSA) said.

Its also been found in Newfoundland

Iodine-131 had also been recorded in places including Newfoundland in Canada and the western United States, consistent with a spreading plume, he said. Iodine-131, linked to cancer if found in high doses, contaminates products such as milk and vegetables.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Just as a matter of full disclosure regarding that Webinar... I listened to the whole thing and it should be mentioned that all the experts who were consulted there have their own financial wellbeing directly tied to the health of the nuclear industry and I think it was telling that they did not consider any projection of the current situation other then assuming that it is deescalating and every reactor is headed toward a cold shutdown. The "FACTS" that they put forward were not informative, rather just confirming that Japan is having "some trouble" with three reactors and a number of spent fuel ponds. No facts were disclosed on the extent of the damage to said reactors or spent fuel ponds and without said facts I don't see how they can assume the situation is nearly solved.

I posed the following question to them and they ignored it, "If they are able to fully restore the cooling functions at all reactors at the fukushima plant(and thats a big if), how can they be certain that they will be able to slow down and shut down the cores of all three reactors that are in the midst of a partial meltdown?

I asked this because it seems to me that the situation is being presented as being on the verge of a sure fire solution. They seem to be saying that IF they can restore cooling functionality, that all the cores will certainly be well in hand and headed for a controlled cold shutdown. Now this may be the case if the damage to the cores is minimal... but how can they be sure this is the case? And if the damage is minimal and all the fuel rods are safely "in containment" why the radiation spikes?

If there is significant damage to the cores and there has already been significant meltdown within the primary containment vessels, am I wrong to understand that even with full cooling functionality that they will be unable to stop complete meltdown and rather only be able retard the process to some extent?

And btw, i'm sure it takes quite awhile for a core meltdown to eat its way trough a containment vessel... and I'm sure it takes longer if seawater is continually being pumped into the containment vessel but it seems to me that they are just delaying the inevitable..

Soul

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Rant and Opinion

I think it has become obvious that we need to move past the idea of Safe Nuclear Plants and push for teams and equipment to be deployed in Nuclear crisis. At this point we know that there are dangers that are being ignored from severity of earth quakes tsunamis, sink holes to hurricanes and the flooding they can bring. We should no longer ask what will we do if their is a nuclear crisis but know what will be done when such a disaster occurs. We need more than one team and multiple sites around the world stocked to deal with these runaway reactor scenarios.

We need power equipment shielded to protect worker in an high radioactive environment, not the local fire departments or their engines. We should study concrete mixes to kill and contain meltdowns and keep stocks ready for the next nuclear crisis.

The bottom line is we need to learn form this crisis and be prepared for the next one. We must also make the nuclear industry pay for not only the cost of clean up in Fukushima but for the preparations for the next one. If we push hard enough and remove profits from nuclear I believe we can turn it around so we are using safer more environmentally friendly energy sources.

I really doubt the Nuclear Industry could even cough up the money to clean up and safely store the radioactive waste that they have today, it would most likely bankrupt them to do so. On the other hand there are profits and dividends made by suppliers, investors and their CEO's are making fat salaries. Then why is there no money is being saved to deal with disaster for clean up that will be needed in the future?

It is really about greed and profit verses life and or the quality of the life for the average person.

edit on 22-3-2011 by AlaskanDad because: added the rant opinion header

edit on 22-3-2011 by AlaskanDad because: typo

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulReaper

There was definately a pro-nuclear bias. However, I like to listen to all sides of the argument, sift through the info and pick out the relevent stuff, and come to my own conclusions.

Sometimes it's the things people don't say that tells you the most.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
remember they said the fallout would not reach the states. well it did yesterday and it was in washington state as reported by msm. now if the msm is reporting it then it must be signifigant. i know its not supposed to be at a dangerous level(so were told) just yet, but what about 2 more weeks from now. or a month or a year. because yes i see these reactors spitting for this long.

and i know the ocean is big and is supposed to disperse the radiation. but radiation is pretty darn nasty and lethal and it takes 100 years for it to be absorbed and disposed of. it cannot be good for the pacific at all. and from what i heard that is their brainstorming plan so far. keep spraying water on the rads to keep it down and flushing it into the ocean. yes this sounds better than on land and into the food chain, but isnt it all part of the food chain process? what am i missing here? thought everything was connected in some way.

not tryin to fear-monger jsut would like the truth, as to know what to prepare for. or if at all.

good day all.

top topics

<< 286  287  288    290  291  292 >>

join