It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 243
<< 240  241  242    244  245  246 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
If there's hydrogen explosions, that means that the core is exposed... and that is not good... because it could lead to a meltdown.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

I don't think it does, it apparently just means the outer building has been blown off after using vents to reduce pressure, and the containment can still be intact. To anyone that knows better : if I'm wrong please let us know.

From Japanese official a few minutes ago :

Mr Edano says, the condition of reactor of Unit 3 remains healthy. As for the surrounding radioactive level, no meaningful increase appears.

twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

video quality is awful. iris down next time. tripod would help too.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This is looking terrible...not much improvement.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
i was wondering if there was any technical difference between the depth of an earthquake, whats does it mean if its 5km - 25km - 200km deep?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenCo
They are not venting,,, a venting is not supposed to leave injured workers
0328: Seven people are missing and three people have been injured by the explosion at the Fukushima 1 nuclear plant, the AFP news agency reports, quoting an official from Tepco, the company which operates the plant.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Gonna have to quote the official again, from yesterday :

At 9:20, "vent" for primary containment vessel of Unit 3 was started. Cooling of the container is expected to be realized by this measure.

By conducting vent, minute quantities of radioactive materials are released from exhaust pipe. Radioactive levels not judged to be harmful.

"Vent" is the measure to reduce pressure from the "pressure container" by releasing air from inside.

twitter.com...

And no I don't trust him, just posting because he might be right.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by ethancoop

It's the venting that allows the risk of explosion. Not sure how, but have heard the "experts" on CNN and whatnot say that's when it can explode.

0328: Seven people are missing and three people have been injured by the explosion at the Fukushima 1 nuclear plant, the AFP news agency reports, quoting an official from Tepco, the company which operates the plant.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Really?

The level of radiation was higher than normal before the blast because engineers had been venting contaminated steam from the reactor vessel, in an effort to relieve pressure that had been building since the cooling system failed on Friday. The venting process triggered the explosion when combustible hydrogen released by the steam mixed with oxygen in the air, officials said.

Source

Sounds like the venting caused the explosion to me.
edit on 13-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
www.educatedearth.net...

heres a higher quality video, cant figure out how to embed sorry

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by InS0MnI
i was wondering if there was any technical difference between the depth of an earthquake, whats does it mean if its 5km - 25km - 200km deep?

I believe the deeper the depth more shaking is,absorbed by the earth, not as much shaking at the surface.
edit on 13-3-2011 by AtruthGuy because: (no reason given)

link   
Hoping that inner structure holds all the punishment suffered...

0351: Full quotes from Yukio Edano on the explosion: "We believe that there is a low possibility that a massive amount of radiation has been leaked. But it is similar to the time when the hydrogen explosion took place in number 1 reactor (which exploded on Saturday). In the case of number 3 reactor, we can see higher level of radiation. We are now collecting information for the concentration of the radiation and the dose."
www.bbc.co.uk...

link   
US aircraft off coast of japan have reported moderate particulate contamination at medium altitudes, confirming radiation clouds ARE moving out to sea.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Since this will not be in the MSM can you give your source?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

reply to post by ethancoop

It's the venting that allows the risk of explosion. Not sure how, but have heard the "experts" on CNN and whatnot say that's when it can explode.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Really?

The level of radiation was higher than normal before the blast because engineers had been venting contaminated steam from the reactor vessel, in an effort to relieve pressure that had been building since the cooling system failed on Friday. The venting process triggered the explosion when combustible hydrogen released by the steam mixed with oxygen in the air, officials said.

Source

Sounds like the venting caused the explosion to me.
edit on 13-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

Yes.. you are correct sir

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUDDD
US aircraft off coast of japan have reported moderate particulate contamination at medium altitudes, confirming radiation clouds ARE moving out to sea.

Source..

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AtruthGuy

How about NYTimes?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by InS0MnI

The shallower the earthquake, the more structural damage incurred. The deeper ones in the mantle are on the Watati-Benioff zone, above subduction zones along volcanic arcs such as the Aleutian Islands or the islands in the Sea of Japan.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

edit on 13-3-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Well either way, whether Mr. Official from Japan is right or not, this is a massive, massive f*** up, and those reactors should a) be split up so they're nowhere near eachother, as in miles apart at separate facilities, and b) be several times safer than they are, with a lot more back up in the way of generators, etc.

I feel sick thinking about it. Can't even explain how much the Japanese have inspired me in so many ways over the years, they mean a lot to me and I just feel sick. Even to the point that I'm starting to take this really personally.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
So.. the problem rigth now is there's no building to trap any contaminated H2 that leaks out at reactor #1 and #3

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dyzan
www.educatedearth.net...

heres a higher quality video, cant figure out how to embed sorry

Yeah that's a good video. You can clearly see the fire in the explosion at about 1:00.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

reply to post by AtruthGuy

How about NYTimes?

Helicopters not Aircraft sorry. Thanks for the quick link.

<< 240  241  242    244  245  246 >>

join