It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 246
<< 243  244  245    247  248  249 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

You guys are getting overhyped just cause one nuclear reactor failed in the face of a major once in a 50 year earthquake

Didn't you guys see the oil refineries burning? Did you guys forget about the BP oil spill? I bet the BP oil spill caused way more damage than this nuclear reactor

First,its multiple reactors. Second,we dont know of how much of an environmental disaster BP,or this one will cause. Nonetheless,radiation poisoning is far more deadly.Its ongoing,and last I heard,they didnt evacuate 180000 people from the coast of the USA for the BP Disaster.

That's because the accident happened further out to sea and the government underplayed the severity of the disaster. have a nice time when there are no more fossil fuels and you cant run any more electricity. If a 8.9 earthquake happend in the gulf of mexico you know how many oil rigs would be destroyed?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Made in Japan (radiation free logo here)
0500: Singapore will be testing imported Japanese produce for possible radiation, officials say - Reuters.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Maybe this will remind you of what has happened.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1ce806b150df.jpg[/atsimg]

The humanity of it all.
edit on 14-3-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

This could be you.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

The humanity of it all.

That's horrible....damnit.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1kftabove
reply to post by servumlibertatem

oops - yeah 2/3
the aluminum particulates have sunk deeply thru my skull
PEACE

i figure its cause there pumping in seawater to the secondary
edit on 11/3/13 by 1kftabove because: (no reason given)

Lol all good mate...but wrong again-the seawater is going straight onto the core, which instantly boils off, creating (highly radioactive) steam (and H2).

I'm no nuke engineer (civil), but I'd wager if theyre at the point where theyre pumping seawater, the reactor is kaput, melted down.

These explosions we are witnessing are overpressures in the secondary...which are essentially giant bombs (and likely lost integrity during the quake).

I can see why they won't tell the public, but I think i would want to know if I was anywhere near it.

link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

You seem to be a pretty decent fellow, and I don't wish to argue either, but if it is a different ball game, why put it in the analogy? The analogy you made ceases to have meaning by your own admission.
From what I have read about the new scrubbers that are (or were) required to be installed on coal generators it seems pretty damn clean, but perhaps there are simply too many old dirty plants, you would know better it seems.
I'd be interested to know more about the radiation aspect of coal generation you mentioned, where can I find that?
I live in Idaho, we get almost all our power from hydroelectric, lucky us.

Also, I actually had an account before this one, a couple years before, but the email went defunct and I couldn't get back into it. I don't post much, or even login too often until recently. I lurk, I read, I read some more, I learn and research, posting is less important to me usually.
edit on 3/14/2011 by defenestrator because: explanation why I don't have more posts

link   
reply to post by nghtshd

Just MHO, when it comes down to this being worse then its being stated. I just think,being on an Island,and one that has had its share of Earthquakes,and Volcanoes......Nuclear Power, should be probably the last resort. Whether you have the BIG one in 1 year,or one in a 100,it will happen. As you can see,the safeguards were not enough. Those reactors were tested to withstand a 7.9 earthquake ONLY. We are talking Japan.One off the worlds most seismic areas in the world.

link   
The sad thing is, if these Radiation readings are correct (a months exposure in just a hour), that was pre #1 explosion. I don't think even the woman in that picture will be around or much longer either.
The Radiation effects could kill more people indirectly than the Earthquake/s and Tsunami altogether.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

The Professional...it is not my intention to add to your distress over the situation, but respectfully...this thread is about the "8.9 Quake off the coast of Japan" and its live updates. If you would like to discuss the merits of nuclear energy, please start your own thread.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

They made the decision to go nuclear years ago because they have little coal or oil themselfs they didnt want to be relying on outside sources for fuel.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I was about to say that to him this thread is hard enough to sift through. take your shoes for a walk buddy (joke)
edit on 14-3-2011 by AdonisDNA because: the pro

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I dont like fossil fuels either. What I am saying is you DONT put reactors that close to the sea............The Diablo Canyon Power Plant is another Nuclear Plant,that lays near a fault line in the US. Why we build these things near areas that are on fault-lines,or near oceans,beats the heck out of me. I think humans have NO clue on the severity,Mother Earth can inflict. If a 8.9 did hit the gulf,I believe our existence as a species would be threatened. Humanity needs to wake up. These are the wake up calls.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by xHybr1dx

The humanity of it all.

That's horrible....damnit.

I see this picture and tears well up in my eyes,cause I see my daughter sitting there wondering where have my parents gone.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

The humanity of it all.

This could be you.

This could be us is no kidding..anything can happen anywhere, anytime for any reason..just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it never will and chances are good that what might happen eventually will.
I'm not crazy about fossil fuels or nuclear (even though they are both 'fast - and dirty')..perhaps mankind needs to start looking to solar energy..if the Sun disappears, we are all screwed anyway..until then, it will be there. But that's another talk show.
My heart goes out to her

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
way off topic i want updates

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AdonisDNA

I know. I feel for Japan.

Navy Says 17 Americans Were Treated for Contamination

This is going to get worse......unfortunately.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Why we build these things near areas that are on fault-lines,or near oceans,beats the heck out of me. I think humans have NO clue on the severity,Mother Earth can inflict. If a 8.9 did hit the gulf,I believe our existence as a species would be threatened. Humanity needs to wake up. These are the wake up calls.

They build the near oceans because they need a lot of cooling water.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Please stop, I have no idea what you're ranting about now, but it has nothing to do with Japan.
update from bbc live:

Japanese officials have been reassuring the public that radiation levels at the Fukushima 1 are within legal limits. It was certainly a massive blast, a ball of flame and a plume of grey smoke.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

top topics

<< 243  244  245    247  248  249 >>

join