It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 244
<< 241  242  243    245  246  247 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Is Nuclear Power something that can be justified,after a disaster like this? No matter how many safeguards put in place,I see the worst case scenarios coming true. Japan will have to consider their Nuclear Power option,if and when they get a chance. You cannot have these types of Power sources close to the sea,or near active Volcanoes,IMHO..........................

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Thought it was the same story, different wording. Sorry. But I'm still assuming that if helos detected it 60 miles from the plant in one direction, it's probably in multiple directions. Unless it took the subway.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Is Nuclear Power something that can be justified,after a disaster like this? No matter how many safeguards put in place,I see the worst case scenarios coming true. Japan will have to consider their Nuclear Power option,if and when they get a chance. You cannot have these types of Power sources close to the sea,or near active Volcanoes,IMHO..........................

Agreed, but there just doesn't seem to be an alternative that's publically available that they can use instead to generate the power those plants do. Looks like we're stuck with it, so they need advance the tech they're using a hell of a lot to safeguard not only themselves, but anyone anywhere near them as well.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

I am still a strong proponent of nuclear power. I still think it is the best way to produce compact efficient power. It is much better than fossil fuels still. Look at how many nuclear reactors are across the world. They are still better than fossil fuels.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I would think after this,they would have to step up their efforts into finding another source of power,to keep their country going. This is madness,and sad.
I feel for all of Japan,and the world.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
What's this I hear about a SECOND tsunami hitting Japan?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by xHybr1dx

I believe the blast of the reactor set off the tsunami,and the earthquake sensors.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Oh really?
We'll see about that in a few months when the true magnitude of this is more clear. If someone you love had radiation sickness because of a tragedy just like this, you'd be singing a different tune. Callous opinions in the face of a tragedy, like yours, make me physically ill.
In theory I could be a proponent of nuclear energy if it:
a) did not create radioactive waste
b) was safe in the case of a disaster like this
But I don't think that those conditions will be fulfilled any time soon.

link   
Can't they use liquid nitrogen to cool the reactor?

During the days following the accident (Chernobyl), hundreds of people worked to quell the reactor fire and the escape of radioactive materials. Liquid nitrogen was pumped into the reactor core to cool it down. Helicopters dumped neutron-absorbing materials into the exposed core to prevent it from going critical. Sand and other fire-fighting materials were also dropped into the core to help stop the graphite fire. All in all, over 5000(metric) tons of material were dropped into the core.

Source: Nuclear Disasters and Accidents

link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I am still a strong proponent of nuclear power. I still think it is the best way to produce compact efficient power. It is much better than fossil fuels still. Look at how many nuclear reactors are across the world. They are still better than fossil fuels.

I think they have to develop tech that can cooldown those reactors way, way faster than they know how to right now if it's going to be safe for us, and plenty of other safeguards too. Am still kind of neutral to it as I can't pretend to understand it properly, but the thing that really gets me is that I think it's possible that some government black projects already have way better methods of using safer power. I won't carry on down that road in this thread though.

I would think after this,they would have to step up their efforts into finding another source of power,to keep their country going. This is madness,and sad.
I feel for all of Japan,and the world.

They should always be researching better ways, agreed. And yeah, it's crushing to see this happening.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

reply to post by xHybr1dx

I believe the blast of the reactor set off the tsunami,and the earthquake sensors.

Oh ok, thanks for replying.

Any news on the tsunami that was heading towards South America? And have any other countries been having crazy things happening? I heard Russia was having volcanoes when the 9.1 earthquake happened.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I have to relate aircraft crashes and other accidents that happen every day. Do we stop driving cars because someone dies in a wreck? I know that a vehicle and a nuclear power plant are different ball games, but the idea is the same. Upgrade with more safety precautions and learn from the mistakes made from before. The power consumption of mankind is getting almost to peak. We need more power production and everybody hates coal.

We cannot let these situations affect rational power generating means. We have to learn and try to make sure that it does not happen again.

link   

Originally posted by ethancoop
reply to post by Project-Sign

My question is, why can't they vent that hydrogen to the outside? Seems like trapping it inside the structure is kinda asking for it.

Bingo! This is your proof that what they are telling us on the MSM is utter bull****.
The ONLY way to accumulate H2 inside the building is through a reactor breach

link   
what a venting!!!!!
0420: Number of injured in the nuclear plant blast is now known to be 11, the operator Tepco reports - Kyodo.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

I agree,to a point. Living in a densely populated area,where Earthquakes,and Tsunamis are a threat,even Volcanic eruptions,you would think that the Japanese people would have thought about having a reactor that CLOSE to the sea. It still boggles the mind,seeing how close to the sea,those reactors are. I would think those affected by this,will consider finding a new and better source of power,and definitely not have them as close as they were. Those poor souls who are suffering through this.........

7 ways to help in relief efforts for Japan

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I've also been been monitoring quakes.globalincidentmap.com... watching California and Alaska, i know they are small earthquakes but is this amount or rapid fire quakes normal, not an expert of quakes

DATE/TIME REGION MAGNITUDE DEPTH (in km)
Monday March 14 2011, 03:43:53 UTC 20 minutes ago Southern California 1.3 16.2
Monday March 14 2011, 03:10:56 UTC 53 minutes ago Kenai , Alaska 1.8 77.2
Monday March 14 2011, 03:06:02 UTC 58 minutes ago Central Alaska 1.1 7.2
Monday March 14 2011, 02:59:02 UTC 65 minutes ago Central Alaska 1.3 104.4
Monday March 14 2011, 02:51:36 UTC 73 minutes ago Central Alaska 1.0 13.4
Monday March 14 2011, 02:50:35 UTC 74 minutes ago Central California 1.0 9.2
Monday March 14 2011, 02:50:35 UTC 74 minutes ago Central California 1.0 9.2
Monday March 14 2011, 02:43:39 UTC 81 minutes ago Southern Alaska 1.6 31.7
Monday March 14 2011, 02:34:40 UTC 90 minutes ago Northern California 1.1 2.3
Monday March 14 2011, 02:10:50 UTC 113 minutes ago Northern California 1.4 1.3

sorry if this might be off topic, but im really vurious if this is a sign of a big one hitting that area

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

If you get in a car crash the car crash can't float up into the jet stream and affect all life on other continents. Radiation is different than other risks. I don't want people halfway across the globe determining my level of risk. Your argument is ill-founded.

Additionally, everybody hates coal? Really?
We just figured out how to burn it cleanly, (and don't tell me "global warming is caused by CO2") now is the time we should be looking to coal.
We should wait until we figure out how to use radioactivity more efficiently, safely, and cleanly. Then I would consider it an option.
From what I have heard from the world's "nuclear experts" as put on TV by the MSM, nobody really knows what the impact of a Plutonium mix fuel reactor meltdown would be, yet it appears we are about to find out.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This is so sad
0427: Officials in Iwate, one of the three prefectures hardest hit by the quake and tsunami, are appealing for funeral homes nationwide to send body bags and coffins. "We simply don't have enough," Hajime Sato tells the Associated Press news agency. "We just did not expect such a thing to happen. It's just overwhelming."
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

All they do is boil water for steam turbines... and waste most of the energy as radioactive waste. Better to burn our trash with a scrubber and save the nuke fuel for the future when we know how to use it

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by defenestrator

Fossil fuels create way more waste and are way more devastating to the environment than nuclear fuel. Not only that fossil fuels are in limited supply. Nuclear energy lasts much much longer. Breathing up carbon smoke and fog and carcinogens from fossil fuels is just as harmful.

Japan still wants to expand nuclear power and I support them:

Japan plans nuclear power expansion Proposal for eight new reactors and nuclear fuel reprocessing faces public opposition.

www.nature.com...

You guys are getting overhyped just cause one nuclear reactor failed in the face of a major once in a 50 year earthquake

Didn't you guys see the oil refineries burning? Did you guys forget about the BP oil spill? I bet the BP oil spill caused way more damage than this nuclear reactor

edit on 13-3-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 241  242  243    245  246  247 >>

join